Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

I still find it really hard to believe though. I spent two years in a combat zone and never saw someone shot in the front of the head that was canoed. Unless they just emptied a magazine into his face. And that brings up another point, I've been around special forces guys, they are crazy professional. That's how they get the job. I can't comprehend one of those guys destroying such a high value target's face for the lols (after being told specifically not to).

Maybe it happened exactly as the government told us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

SerthVarnee posted:

I'd suggest reading "The Beauty and the Sorrow: An Intimate History of the First World War" by Peter Englund if you want to read about how loving different those 4 years could turn out in terms of experiences and hardships depending on where you were in the world during the war. The book follows 20 people through their journal entries going through the war (all of them in different places and spread out across all the major/minor players of the war).

My fav part is the lady who comes back to her house and soldiers have emptied out all her preserves and poo poo in the jars and put them back.

Troops never change.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kemper Boyd posted:

My fav part is the lady who comes back to her house and soldiers have emptied out all her preserves and poo poo in the jars and put them back.

Troops never change.

On the ground or ate them and put back the glassware?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LingcodKilla posted:

On the ground or ate them and put back the glassware?

They poo poo in the jars

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

They poo poo in the jars

Lol I read that as “preserves and poo poo”. Not the implied “preserves and then left poo poo”.

Well at least they didn’t smash the glass.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol I read that as “preserves and poo poo”. Not the implied “preserves and then left poo poo”.

Well at least they didn’t smash the glass.

"Preserve zeez nutz!"

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

A lot of stately homes in the UK were taken over by the British armed forces in both world wars and utterly trashed, to the extent that they were almost unlivable and required massive renovation.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Burt posted:

A lot of stately homes in the UK were taken over by the British armed forces in both world wars and utterly trashed, to the extent that they were almost unlivable and required massive renovation.

good

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Most were owned by the National Trust, so it wasn't some bunch of rich families, it was the people who wanted to protect the countries history and heritage so, yeah whatever.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
OK so not good then my bad

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I saw They Shall Not Grow Old last night. It's a really good narrative with lots of actual veterans talking, probably from the BBC oral history archives. The footage is great and well chosen to support the theme of "this is what it was like for the poor SOBs on the front line".

The restoration job they did to fix the frame rate, colorize, and make it 3D was amazing. Just as the story gets to the trenches for the first time it switches from scratchy, sepia-toned footage to full color 3D and the transition is breathtaking. It's a nice bit of history, but an impressive technical achievement.

Mark my words, this will win awards.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

mllaneza posted:

I saw They Shall Not Grow Old last night. It's a really good narrative with lots of actual veterans talking, probably from the BBC oral history archives. The footage is great and well chosen to support the theme of "this is what it was like for the poor SOBs on the front line".

The restoration job they did to fix the frame rate, colorize, and make it 3D was amazing. Just as the story gets to the trenches for the first time it switches from scratchy, sepia-toned footage to full color 3D and the transition is breathtaking. It's a nice bit of history, but an impressive technical achievement.

Mark my words, this will win awards.

The thing I still cannot get over from this was just how many said, "Yeah, it was hell on Earth but I wouldn't have missed it for the world."

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Burt posted:

From Masters of the Air, about getting the 8th Air Force bomber command settled into England.

quote:

Harris was helpful in procuring a permanent headquarters for Eaker and his staff, which was growing by the week. Returning from one of their scouting missions through the Chiltern Hills, Eaker’s aides reported that they had found the perfect spot, the Wycombe Abbey School for Girls, a crenellated manor house on a parklike campus, its walkways lined with linden trees. With Harris’s and Eaker’s insistent lobbying, the Air Ministry was pressured to remove the students to Oxford and hand over the school to the Eighth Air Force. On the April day that Eaker and twenty other American officers moved in, they laid out a softball diamond and set up volleyball nets. That night, the duty officer heard bells begin suddenly ringing all over the manor house. Some checking revealed that beside each bed was a bell labeled, “If you need a mistress in the night, ring twice.”

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

canyoneer posted:

From Masters of the Air, about getting the 8th Air Force bomber command settled into England.

quote:

walkways lined with linden trees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m-8l3V38Ps

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Burt posted:

The thing I still cannot get over from this was just how many said, "Yeah, it was hell on Earth but I wouldn't have missed it for the world."

That's kinda PTSDs whole deal, though: You normalize the trauma and everything else feels dull in comparison.

I know I'm shooting off the hip in the mil goon forum but still. Some dudes romanticize the trauma as glory, others die to opioids and alcoholism.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Didn’t you get heavily stigmatized by not serving?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeah, check this poo poo out https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_feather

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In World War II, 10% of conscripted Englishmen (as well as some volunteers) were assigned as coal miners instead, nicknamed Bevin Boys. They weren't issued any kind of badge or uniform, so it was common for them to be harassed by the police who mistook them for draft dodgers. They were also subject to mockery and taunting with suggestions that they had become coal miners to try and shirk their duty to their country. All of this on top of the hazards of coal mining.

Jimmy Savile was one of them!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So last night I was having a nice sexy dream about being ridden cowgirl style and delivering some savage rear end smacks and then I woke up mid-swing and slapped the poo poo out of my nuts IRL

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

shame on an IGA posted:

So last night I was having a nice sexy dream about being ridden cowgirl style and delivering some savage rear end smacks and then I woke up mid-swing and slapped the poo poo out of my nuts IRL

:lol:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

there was a movie called Four Feathers about an officer resigning his commission to try to bang Kate Hudson

his friends all gave him white feathers to signify what a chickenshit they thought he was, and then he goes on an adventure to redeem himself

edit: I thought it was pretty good flick

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

DownByTheWooter posted:

there was a movie called Four Feathers about an officer resigning his commission to try to bang Kate Hudson

his friends all gave him white feathers to signify what a chickenshit they thought he was, and then he goes on an adventure to redeem himself

edit: I thought it was pretty good flick

Yeah, adventuring in 1880s Sudan :wot:

There was a promotional flash game made for the movie that was actually really fun. It was an asymmetrical tactical game with a hex board and turn-based movement and combat.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Why is it only people who own those tiny rat dogs that think their dogs are people

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I wanna know what kind of poo poo their ~mommy~ did.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All I know is that she was an Army major.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

AGGGGH BEES posted:

Why is it only people who own those tiny rat dogs that think their dogs are people

If this was a kid in fourth grade trying to get out of trouble, I'd think it was cute, but still weird for a kid that old to have their puppies "talk" for them. This is just sad.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

AGGGGH BEES posted:

Please tell me MG in the "ATTN:" line is actually a goddamned 2 star. :stare:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Maybe it was that Major who misappropriated base funding to build a dog park across the street from her quarters?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Kidnapping mascots is a tradition, someone should get on that.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Maybe it was that Major who misappropriated base funding to build a dog park across the street from her quarters?

The letter is dated November 2013. I don't remember when that happened, but I feel like it was way more recent.

Edit: yeah it was.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Man, what's the point of being a colonel if you can't even get your minions to build you a dog park. That's got to be one of the lamest reasons to get fired.

"I had an affair with a married junior enlisted member."

"I accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes."

"I sold national secrets to China."

"I really, really wanted a dog park next to my house."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Man, what's the point of being a colonel if you can't even get your minions to build you a dog park. That's got to be one of the lamest reasons to get fired.

"I had an affair with a married junior enlisted member."

"I accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes."

"I sold national secrets to China."

"I really, really wanted a dog park next to my house."

Former captain of mine (and three to four other goons) got fired from his O-6 major command in large part because he let the crew of the ship keep a live goat onboard for a San Diego to Hawaii transit.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Former captain of mine (and three to four other goons) got fired from his O-6 major command in large part because he let the crew of the ship keep a live goat onboard for a San Diego to Hawaii transit.

???

As a civvy it feels like this wouldn’t be a good idea but I’m not seeing how it is a fireable offense.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm sure even the Navy frowns upon bestiality.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BigDave posted:

I'm sure even the Navy frowns upon bestiality.

There’s a fine tradition going back hundreds of years of Navy bestiality and I don’t see any reason to stop it now. Hell the person reporting it got the goat for their mess.
The dude would be hanged but at least the goat didn’t got to waste.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Late but my favorite WWI fact is that Italy and Austria-Hungary fought 9 Battles of the Isonzo, none of which really accomplished anything.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

LingcodKilla posted:

There’s a fine tradition going back hundreds of years of Navy bestiality and I don’t see any reason to stop it now. Hell the person reporting it got the goat for their mess.
The dude would be hanged but at least the goat didn’t got to waste.

This reminded me of this show:
https://youtu.be/hdatYO_cqL8?t=25s

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 15, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

God can you imagine how gross that battlefield would have been by the third time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LingcodKilla posted:

God can you imagine how gross that battlefield would have been by the third time.

If its anything like the battles in France, it was so muddy most of the corpses sank into the dirt churned into mud by artillery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

CommieGIR posted:

If its anything like the battles in France, it was so muddy most of the corpses sank into the dirt churned into mud by artillery.

I remember hearing or reading (probably hardcore history's bit on Passchendaele) that people would slip and fall into the artillery craters but couldn't climb out and would drown in the mud. Imagine falling into one of those and finding three other poor bastards who stepped in the wrong place a week or month before you.