Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Just read the excerpt and guys this is the Iriali homeworld - or the previous planet they stopped on in their journey to Roshar. I'm super curious to see how aethers have been transplanted from the unpublished Aether of Night into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
That excerpt of SP#1 was flipping fantastic. This is sure to be a fan favorite when the rest drops (edit) next year

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
As a writing prompt, "why did Buttercup sit around when she heard her love had been kidnapped by pirates? Why didn't she go and do something about it?" is absolutely fantastic.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:tviv:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Ding. 20 million.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Ding. 20 million.

that's a loving insane haul

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Called it! Officially now the most funded Kickstarter ever. But that was never in doubt.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Working through the Wax & Wayne reread with my wife. Shadows of Self still owns. Hoping Bands of Mourning is better on reread. I found it kinda disappointing first time through.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Torrannor posted:

Oh, that sounds interesting, I'd appreciate it if you were to drop a link to your vid when it's out.

As requested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av64WXh_f80

I didn't even come close to unpacking all my thoughts. That's gonna have to wait until follow up videos.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Leng posted:

Sorry! I should clarify I'm not saying that epic fantasy is "harder" to write vs another genre. Or should I say high fantasy as opposed to low fantasy? What I'm saying is that it is more time consuming because the bare minimum level of world building that readers of that genre expect you to have done is higher compared to the level of world building (i.e. substitute with research) in another genre like romance or mystery. Honestly I suspect historical fiction would take the longest, simply because of the balance you have to strike between historical accuracy and artistic liberties.

I don't think Sanderson's output would go down if he got forced to write a high heat romance. There's a lot of romance in his books, actually, it just doesn't tend to be the main focus of the books and isn't his strong suit. A Sanderson steamy romance would probably go much the same as his attempt at imitating GRRM: the quality would absolutely tank through the floor but I think he'd still get his drafts done at the same pace. :v:

EDIT: wow I just noticed so many phone posting typos in my last post, I'm gonna go back and fix those.

This is from days ago but that totally make sense. Also, you're right about Sanderson. He would be able to just keep going even with high heat romance. That beautiful writing machine bastard he is.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Louisgod posted:

editor: brandon please write a high heat romance novel
sanderson: *sweating profusely* n-navani, breathing deeply, slowly unzips her havah sleeve, revealing the succulent flesh underneath. "Please will you take me" she says seductively, and with Passion. The Passion of the Ten Fools.

I had the AI try to continue it. It immediately spat out:

"Their mouths meet in a clash of teeth and tongues, each one trying to consume the other."

So I think he passes that hurdle.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

He's gotten better too, Spensa Jorgen is cute and not distracting where steelheart mc and firegirl were awful and grating.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tunicate posted:

I had the AI try to continue it. It immediately spat out:

"Their mouths meet in a clash of teeth and tongues, each one trying to consume the other."

So I think he passes that hurdle.

When you pretend this is Wit having a rap battle of sorts then it makes much more sense

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Secret project 2 reveal: https://youtu.be/9kLr1aNQTfQ

Non-Spoiler: This one is also very good. Can't wait.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that's a really fun premise, hooked me way more than the first one did.

Guessing Jason Bourne here is either actually on a job to get the person that 'owns' this dimension or has enemies from the past hunting him where they shouldn't be able to. And also magic is gonna be real and it'll be way more divergent from our reality than the guidebook claims

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Jorenko posted:

Secret project 2 reveal: https://youtu.be/9kLr1aNQTfQ

Non-Spoiler: This one is also very good. Can't wait.

I love that as soon as I read the premise, my thought was "Oh! Like the podcast episode!" Clearly he had thought about this more than he had let on.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

He's gotten better too, Spensa Jorgen is cute and not distracting where steelheart mc and firegirl were awful and grating.
Steelheart MC belongs in a progression fantasy series, maybe a LitRPG

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I laughed pretty hard at this:

quote:

Sidebar: A helpful method of visualizing this is to think of Nebraska. Nebraska is a landlocked state in the center of the United States of America. Because of its general lack of importance—and its distance from trendy population centers—it generally lags between the coasts a few years in fashion, music, and distribution of collectible card games.

You might feel like you’ve time traveled when visiting Nebraska, but careful scientific experiments using synchronized timepieces has proven no time dilation is in effect. (See Luddow, Sing, and Coffman, “Nebraska really is just like that” in Journal of Relativistic Studies, June, 2072.)
So I consider that promising.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Oooh, ooh! It's always a good time to start!

Do you prefer more traditional high fantasy or something more grim and modern? The Way of Kings if the former, Mistborn for the latter.

Also, Jesus gently caress, Sanderson wrote four extra books on top of his already insanely prolific output? This settles it, the dude is clearly a book-writing android who escaped from some secret Mormon lab.

I picked up The Way of Kings and got a little bit into it, but then got distracted and went off on a Discworld kick.

I'm not too into grim and modern so Mistborn will wait for now. Thanks for the recs!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Oooh, ooh! It's always a good time to start!

Do you prefer more traditional high fantasy or something more grim and modern? The Way of Kings if the former, Mistborn for the latter.

Also, Jesus gently caress, Sanderson wrote four extra books on top of his already insanely prolific output? This settles it, the dude is clearly a book-writing android who escaped from some secret Mormon lab.

I would like to mildly dispute Mistborn being "grim." Not that I disagree with that assessment so much as I feel it's....tempered as you continue.

I will forever remember first starting The Final Empire and being like "wow, this makes Westeros look like Heaven." And yeah, a lot of horrible and ugly things happen - mostly in TFE if I'm being honest. But Sanderson pulls back where Martin keeps going. That's a high compliment in my estimation. The setting is Hellish to be sure but the characters in it actually have triumphs and hope. Even just confining things to TFE, there's never a point where you are swallowed up by the gloom and hopelessness. The tone is, in spite of the gruesome facts of the setting, always positive.

I know you didn't use the term "grimdark" but even just summarizing Mistborn as "grim" is....I dunno. I mean, I don't think Way of Kings is any less hellish for Kaladin than TFE was for Vin. They start in equally nightmarish situations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'd agree with that assessment. TFE starts in a hell pit, and there's frequent reversals, but the overall arc of the story trends towards justice (to abuse the words of MLK)

GRRM starts in hell and then sees how deep the hole can go. It's spiritually wearying in a way Mistborn is not

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The world building is oppressive, but actual lovely things happening to real people is largely off screen, yea.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
That's good to hear. I have enough grim things happening to people in real life already.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

If I had to place the two series into "traditional high fantasy" and "something more grim and modern" I'd say Mistborn is the former and Stormlight is the latter, although neither of them are GRRM levels of grim or even Joe Abercrombie levels of grim

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jose Valasquez posted:

If I had to place the two series into "traditional high fantasy" and "something more grim and modern" I'd say Mistborn is the former and Stormlight is the latter, although neither of them are GRRM levels of grim or even Joe Abercrombie levels of grim

I don't think I've ever heard the name Joe Abercrombie, although I vaguely think I've heard of "The First Law" before...

Would you recommend it? Wiki makes it sound kinda interesting.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think I've ever heard the name Joe Abercrombie, although I vaguely think I've heard of "The First Law" before...

I really like his stuff, he's got very interesting characters but his books can also get very brutal and violent. If descriptions of gory battles are a huge turn off I'd skip them, but otherwise I recommend them.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Joe is tied with Sanderson as my favorite author, and if you made me choose I would pick Abercrombie.

He is marketed as super grimdark(@lordgrimdark is his Twitter), and it definitely tends towards the dark side (one of the main POVs of the first trilogy is a torturer) however, I find his books oddly hopeful. Characters are often at the whims of greater powers, over which they have little to no influence, and it makes for fascinating observations about how societal and physical differences can affect one's outlook on the world.

His characters often have frequent mantras and catchphrases that stick with you.

Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself posted:

“Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it.”

If you decide to begin The First Law, definitely get the audiobooks. Stephen Pacey's narration and character work is masterful and add a lot to the experience, for example in later books you will recognize characters by the voice he uses before they are named.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 15, 2022

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NikkolasKing posted:

First Law is... ok. Most major reveals are extremely telegraphed but the writing itself is well done even if the story itself is pretty much grimdark whatever.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Brandon, please. You can’t just casually reference Your Name and Final Fantasy X as story inspirations for a book and pretend like it’s no big deal.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Brandon, please. You can’t just casually reference Your Name and Final Fantasy X as story inspirations for a book and pretend like it’s no big deal.

Wait, please tell me what this is a reference to? Where did he do this?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Finally finished Rhythm of War yesterday and GOD drat, so good. That ending teaser is going to make the wait for book 5 really, really tough. From here, I'm starting Mistborn 4 but I feel like I should be reading something before I start it. Think I've read most of the cosmere books first but are there any novellas or major books outside the main books (Elantris, Warbreaker, Stormlight, Mistborn, etc.) that I should read first?

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Wait, please tell me what this is a reference to? Where did he do this?

Its from this video he just put out, Secret Project 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFGDcvtRdz0

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Louisgod posted:

Finally finished Rhythm of War yesterday and GOD drat, so good. That ending teaser is going to make the wait for book 5 really, really tough. From here, I'm starting Mistborn 4 but I feel like I should be reading something before I start it. Think I've read most of the cosmere books first but are there any novellas or major books outside the main books (Elantris, Warbreaker, Stormlight, Mistborn, etc.) that I should read first?

Have you read The Emperor's Soul? Great little read.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

External Organs posted:

Have you read The Emperor's Soul? Great little read.

Yup! It was a super fun read and one that really sits with you. I'm pretty sure I'm all caught up on the primary cosmere books but I feel like I'm overlooking something.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'm reading Elantris right now as I finish up the existing Cosmere stuff before the secret projects are released. Man, the first couple chapters are way darker than I expected from Sanderson

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Out of the three books so far, I’m most excited for Book 3. It’s extremely my poo poo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

a book all about blitzball

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Why not Blurnsball?

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Dawnshard and secret history, though some say there's spoilers for mistborn 6 in secret history, I think they're really minor and going in having read secret history is better, unless you intend to read all of mistborn, then secret history, then all of mistborn again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Dawnshard and secret history, though some say there's spoilers for mistborn 6 in secret history, I think they're really minor and going in having read secret history is better, unless you intend to read all of mistborn, then secret history, then all of mistborn again.

I think reading Secret History before Mistborn 6 would completely spoil the ending reveal though, right? Not sure what you'd gain