Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Wait what the gently caress, was he an honorary general or something? Lmao

all I can find is honorary Yeoman Warder lmfao

Patriot Games does seem like it would've been Prince Phillips kind of jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Grand Fromage posted:

The people who think Russia isn't as hosed as they appear point to evidence that forward operating bases are being set up for resupply. Their position is the initial assault was expected to be easy, it wasn't, so the Russian forces have stopped in order to bring in reinforcements and set up for a longer war, then big offensives will start again. Obviously no one knows but it seems like a reasonable possibility to me, an idiot on the internet.

I too am an idiot on the internet, and that sure seems what they're attempting to do. How well that attempt will turn out is an entirely different question, from what's emerged about the Russian army's capabilities, culture and leadership I'm finding it difficult to believe that they'll be able to turn around and pivot to this new approach and actually manage to pull it off. All the while the Ukrainians are gaining strength through western supplies and arms and are bringing forward and organising their reserve units. Also the element of surprise is quite obviously lost and force amassment and available motorways make it easy to predict along which routes the thrusts will take place, routes I'm sure the Ukrainians have presighted artillery and positioned troops with ample supply of anti-tank weaponry. My armchair take is that yes, the Russians will go on the offense again, particularly towards Kyiv, and that the Ukrainians (under the circumstances) welcome these fat, neatly arranged targets.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Natty Ninefingers posted:

joint enablers?

The structures that exist to allow inter department coordination. Having the Air Force talk to Army artillery and Navy spec ops using information from NSA, in real time, is a relatively newish thing. We have gotten so good at it, we can scale it down to individuals or up to massive organisations.

There was coordination in the past, before this, but it was more general in nature. It also took lots of time.

Now, we can point to a building and say, "hey, does this need to blow up?" and in theory, intel verifies the target, legal signs off, the coordinates are uploaded and some kind of explosive package is enroute stupid fast.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

mlmp08 posted:

Me and all my Ukrainian buddies, just about to fire off a chemical attack when we realize the artillery is aimed backward.

"they are just out of frame, laughing too"
-Russia

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

That Works posted:

I get the impression that USSR army would easily beat the modern Russian army

modern Russia would just sit there letting Kirovs (reporting) slowly bomb them like the security guard from Austin Powers

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Wait what the gently caress, was he an honorary general or something? Lmao

He was an insurance salesman before he wrote Hunt for Red October, lol.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
One of those AA systems left behind is worth ... 2.67 billion roubles. Hilarious.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

ASAPI posted:

Now, we can point to a building and say, "hey, does this need to blow up?" and in theory, intel verifies the target, legal signs off, the coordinates are uploaded and some kind of explosive package is enroute stupid fast.

By stupid fast, I think like *within an hour* of some ISIS/Syrian dude posting his position on Twitter, the USAF was dropping accurate bombs, if my memory serves me correctly.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Roblo posted:

One of those AA systems left behind is worth ... 2.67 billion roubles. Hilarious.

Is that before or after it's stuck in mud? :v:

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

And you're welcome to post here. We're a pretty welcoming bunch of brokebrains.

"serving isn't required to post here, but it doesn't help"

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Is it me or is this conflict actually an appropriate use case for the digital camo UCP ACUs?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Question from someone ignorant but where are the Russian pow being shipped to most likely? Somewhere secure in the western parts, well away from the frontlines?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Maybe, but even in RSR he wrote about how some idiot packed the *Army* version of the SA-6 and not the Naval one that was hardened against seawater corrosion, so they couldn't set up adequate AD on Iceland when they landed.

And the passage about how their AD personnel were trained maybe once per year on a target flying straight and level while "NATO planes fly through the trees" and how a single Jeep with a TOW takes out the lead tank of a column and disappears before they can even hope to return fire.

As far as Clancy goes RSR is on the better end (although in no way essential) and he does allow the Soviets to get some wins before the inevitable American victory. Decent action scenes and detail, a friend who grew up in Iceland as their parents were teaching at the Air Force base there was amused that the Soviet attack is detailed enough they could figure out which of their parent's classrooms would have been destroyed and which would have survived.

I think RSR did get praise after the second Gulf War when Clancy had figured out missiles and bombs would be expended faster than stockpiles could keep up, and that helicopters wouldn't have long life spans.

I like how Clancy was consistent about how US aircraft carriers could be damaged to show how dangerous a situation was but not sunk, in RSR fine for the only French carrier to get taken out but the American one is afloat, and in Debt of Honor and the film version of Sum of All Fears they only get beat up but not sent below the waves.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Laughing Zealot posted:

Question from someone ignorant but where are the Russian pow being shipped to most likely? Somewhere secure in the western parts, well away from the frontlines?

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if we saw satellite imagery showing the Russian POWs milling around in a cattle pen with no guards.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

ASAPI posted:

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if we saw satellite imagery showing the Russian POWs milling around in a cattle pen with no guards.

Yeah.

I'm just thinking about how it would be in pretty much every ones best interest if they were kept somewhere in decent conditions.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

psydude posted:

Setting up a static encampment of unhardened buildings when your enemy has mobile artillery and armor would be peak Russia.

Isn't this basically exactly what happened to the latest batch of Chechens the other day?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Isn't this basically exactly what happened to the latest batch of Chechens the other day?

Yup, someone recognized where they recorded their threatening video and they dropped artillery right on their encampment.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Laughing Zealot posted:

Yeah.

I'm just thinking about how it would be in pretty much every ones best interest if they were kept somewhere in decent conditions.

My point is that the Russian "POWs" are mostly defectors/surrenders. They want to be in the care of the Ukrainians. They get fed. They will do whatever they are told with minimal interaction needed. I bet most of them are afraid of going back to Russia, it might be worse for soldiers that are perceived to be inadequate in some way.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

ASAPI posted:

My point is that the Russian "POWs" are mostly defectors/surrenders. They want to be in the care of the Ukrainians. They get fed. They will do whatever they are told with minimal interaction needed. I bet most of them are afraid of going back to Russia, it might be worse for soldiers that are perceived to be inadequate in some way.

I was thinking the Ukranians might want to house the Russian POWs in hospitals, but then I realized I had foolishly presumed Russia cared about their soldiers.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

cruft posted:

I was thinking the Ukranians might want to house the Russian POWs in hospitals, but then I realized I had foolishly presumed Russia cared about their soldiers.

or hospitals

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Two civilian questions:

1) There's talk about how the apparent pause of the Russian advance is to set up FOBs. As someone who isn't too up on the nitty-gritty of logistics, how would that help with their supply situation? Is it just a matter of spending time to mass supplies in place so that they're available closer up when the offensive begins? Or just giving truck drivers a chance to get some rest instead of having to drive clear from Russia to the front lines? Or just establishing a place where the supplies can actually be sorted and organized so that they're not one giant undifferentiated clump going every which way?

Also, related, a while ago I ran into a document about Russian logistics and how they used a "push" system. Does this mean that supplies actually reaching the front lines depends largely on someone at the back estimating how much they'll need up front? And wouldn't this mean that even if things are going well, they'd be vulnerable to the guy at the back getting it wrong for whatever reason?

2) How much do the privates in one part of the army talk to other parts? I've been hearing consistent talk about low morale, surrenders, and desertions, but it doesn't seem like this is leading to outright collapse so far. I'm wondering - can it? Does a private in a war zone get much access to information or communication with someone in another company, or another battalion, or another division, or another front? Like, would someone on the Crimean front hear anything about how things are going on the Kyiv front, or are morale issues going to largely be localized based on things going real poo poo for your specific dudes without reference to anyone or anywhere else?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
This has been such a debacle of mind bending proportions that the usual metrics used to evaluate and answer your questions may be totally useless. Like, if they're stalled out on advancing and need to establish command and control and 'base' of operations to stage out/dig in for a continued offensive then yeah, you want a FOB, sure. But then there's like, everything else that has happened up to this point so ???

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 10, 2022

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
If you're engaged in active combat, you'll burn through stores really quickly. It makes sense to build a stockpile before the assault instead of everyone relying on just the fuel and ammunition they've still got on them.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also having the security to be able to drive fuel and food delivery up to the FOB is important and we don't even know if that's available.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

And for the second q, no, but...

Ie: most soldiers in active combat operations would not get much of anything from other soldiers they can't see with their own two eyes and for a multitude of different reasons that isolate them from the outside world, maybe rumors through people in signals/logistics,

But this is 2022 and the armed forces of the russian federation is a full on shitshow more than ever, bordering on mad house

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 10, 2022

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
So there is a lot of info about the Russian Army's actions ever since this started, has there been any info on their SF units? I figured we would have heard by now about Spetsnaz war-crimeing it up or being after high profile targets. I think Zelensky has had 3 attempts on his life so far, but nothing (I read anyway) described the what or who. I guess I was expecting some high profile raids/assassinations but maybe Russia uses them differently than we do our SF units. Then again the phrase SF gets tossed around a lot for propaganda purposes.

Tomn posted:

Two civilian questions:

(Just my opinions)
1. To answer that we would have to know what the gently caress Russia even wants to do here. Do they want to occupy Ukraine? Install a puppet government and bounce? It sounded like they thought fighting would be over by now, or soon anyway. It could help with supply for future actions but setting up a FOB would be supply nightmare anyway. If they have something like HESCOs (giant empty walls you fill with sand) where are the vehicles to work that? Where is the wire? Are we digging tank ditches? (note: after reading this, I only went to Afghanistan, setting up a FOB in an urban environment is kind of new to me lol, maybe an Iraq vet could describe them)

2. With cell phones the Joe News Network could survive. I doubt they are being given reliable updates, you don't spread any information (officially) on anything that could lower morale. If the LT knows the mission is bullshit he isn't, or shouldn't anyway, tell the privates that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tomn posted:

Two civilian questions:

1) There's talk about how the apparent pause of the Russian advance is to set up FOBs. As someone who isn't too up on the nitty-gritty of logistics, how would that help with their supply situation? Is it just a matter of spending time to mass supplies in place so that they're available closer up when the offensive begins? Or just giving truck drivers a chance to get some rest instead of having to drive clear from Russia to the front lines? Or just establishing a place where the supplies can actually be sorted and organized so that they're not one giant undifferentiated clump going every which way?

In this kind of war, extending deep into enemy territory, you'd definitely need to set up logistics depots closer to the front lines, but this presumes your MSRs are secured for the supply convoys. So far, this hasn't been the case. One of the problems is that the Russians haven't managed to cut off major pockets of the UKA, which are able to conduct hit and run ambushes of supply convoys along these routes.

quote:

Also, related, a while ago I ran into a document about Russian logistics and how they used a "push" system. Does this mean that supplies actually reaching the front lines depends largely on someone at the back estimating how much they'll need up front? And wouldn't this mean that even if things are going well, they'd be vulnerable to the guy at the back getting it wrong for whatever reason?

Seems like a very Russian thing to do. US doctrine has logistics managers embedded at the company level and every echelon on up, coordinating with dedicated logistics commands (division equivalent) that coordinate everything from transportation to force sustainment. Supply levels are reported constantly to allow for proper forecasting and planning. It's also fully integrated into the operations planning process, rather than being an afterthought.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
FOBs in Iraq were popular targets for mortar attack. Against an enemy with armed drones, any fuel depot quickly turns into a juicy target.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

As far as Clancy goes RSR is on the better end (although in no way essential) and he does allow the Soviets to get some wins before the inevitable American victory. Decent action scenes and detail, a friend who grew up in Iceland as their parents were teaching at the Air Force base there was amused that the Soviet attack is detailed enough they could figure out which of their parent's classrooms would have been destroyed and which would have survived.

I think RSR did get praise after the second Gulf War when Clancy had figured out missiles and bombs would be expended faster than stockpiles could keep up, and that helicopters wouldn't have long life spans.

I like how Clancy was consistent about how US aircraft carriers could be damaged to show how dangerous a situation was but not sunk, in RSR fine for the only French carrier to get taken out but the American one is afloat, and in Debt of Honor and the film version of Sum of All Fears they only get beat up but not sent below the waves.

The fun fact that people like to bring up about Clancy is that when he wrote Hunt for the Red October, he did extensive research using only unclassified, open-source knowledge, but he did it so well and made accurate assumptions when he needed to that he was still investigated by counter-intelligence agents.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

ASAPI posted:

Could probably toss most of them in any empty barracks or unused hotel and as long as you feed them, keep the heat running, and give them cigarettes they're not going to disappear.

Mr. Nice! posted:

You see, projections from this book of Russia vs NATO expects that they would take these losses. They're actually moving at lightning speed. It took the USA 30 days to take Baghdad! Russia has achieved every objective they have set out to accomplish.

I'm personally fairly bearish* on ukraine's ability to actually close the gaps in russia's various advantages (at least not as fast as they need to to avoid just having half of the country turned into rubble), but yeah it's just batshit optimistic and assuming literally everything is going as planned and it's even vastly more optimistic about russian performance than even russia's pro-war natsec blob's own self-assessment of their performance. On the plus side, it goes well with https://waronfakes.com/ to really complete the opposite-word vibe.

*was bearish, but even as someone who takes it as axiomatic that most ukranian successes are being overstated and amplified and haven't-I-literally-seen-that-blown-up-convoy-posted-3-days-in-a-row? person, yeah there is just zero way to ascribe any momentum to the Russian pushes in northern ukraine and even to the Russians the narrative is now 'how the hell did this fall apart so badly'

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 10, 2022

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

KitConstantine posted:

Also, 6 tons of food per day sounds like a lot. But assuming no losses that's 27 grams per soldier per day. (6 metric tons divided by 200k)

Assuming the US low end loss calculations are correct, and removing wounded from the total as well since they're presumably being fed at the hospital (lol) that leaves 180k. So a whopping 30 grams per soldier!!

An average slice of bread is 38 grams.

Russian logistics planners have taken into account Ukrainian chicken coops. It will be fine.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-10

quote:

The likelihood is increasing that Ukrainian forces could fight to a standstill the Russian ground forces attempting to encircle and take Kyiv. Russian forces also appear to be largely stalemated around Kharkiv and distracted from efforts to seize that city. Russian advances in the south around Mykolayiv and toward Zaporizhya and in the east around Donetsk and Luhansk made little progress as well in the last 24 hours. Russia likely retains much greater combat power in the south and east and will probably renew more effective offensive operations in the coming days, but the effective reach and speed of such operations is questionable given the general performance of the Russian military to date. There are as yet no indications that the Russian military is reorganizing, reforming, learning lessons, or taking other measures that would lead to a sudden change in the pace or success of its operations, although the numerical disparities between Russia and Ukraine leave open the possibility that Moscow will be able to restore rapid mobility or effective urban warfare to the battlefield.

Lol. Imagine Ukraine seizing that entire convoy's worth of equipment.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

One supply thing I didn't know about is the Russian army has field pipeline builders so they can bring fuel to the front without needing to use vehicle convoys. Theoretically. :v:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Grand Fromage posted:

One supply thing I didn't know about is the Russian army has field pipeline builders so they can bring fuel to the front without needing to use vehicle convoys. Theoretically. :v:

Those sound like juicy targets

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Natty Ninefingers posted:

joint enablers?

The doctors that fix your bad knees after rucking 100000000000000000000 miles.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

mlmp08 posted:

Mariupol being cut off with with thousands of civilians on the ground is already just abysmal for civilians. Russia isn’t careful with artillery and bombing anyway, and there’s video available of UKR vehicles and AT teams inside apartment complexes and occupying roofs of apartments and public goods stores.

*armies arn't careful with artillery and bombing

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If ATGMs aren’t the hardline but MiG-29s are, what about old M1s or Challengers? Paladins? Predators?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Saukkis posted:

Russian logistics planners have taken into account Ukrainian chicken coops. It will be fine.

comrades we have achieved a coop in ukraine at last!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GD_American posted:

If ATGMs aren’t the hardline but MiG-29s are, what about old M1s or Challengers? Paladins? Predators?

Assuming there's a bunch of Ukrainian troops that can jump into an M1 and fight I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Theoretically doing a lot of heavy lifting