Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, male Eivor really sells the whole softspoken warrior Skald personality better than the female voice actress seems to do.

It just sounded like murmuring into a microphone to me. A leader of a warband, usually standing outside in the wind or in a crowded hall, would need to speak up, I reckon - and so would a skald.

(Yes I am old and hard of hearing and dislike mumbling, why do you ask?)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Male Eivor feels like the most Scandinavian man in the world in the same way that Ezio was the most Italian man in the world.

Lady Eivor doesn't capture my attention like how Kassandra did.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I never tried Female Eivor but I liked Eivor because you could definitely tell he was raised in Viking culture but he also felt a lot different from his clanmates. He was different enough to be a protagonist for someone with modern sensibilities but similar enough to not be an outcast. It's a line he strikes that's almost perfect.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Female Eivor is great.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Jimbot posted:

Female Eivor is great.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh dear me posted:

It just sounded like murmuring into a microphone to me. A leader of a warband, usually standing outside in the wind or in a crowded hall, would need to speak up, I reckon - and so would a skald.

(Yes I am old and hard of hearing and dislike mumbling, why do you ask?)

Maybe he's one of those guys who speaks quietly as a power play so everyone has to try extra hard to hear him

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sheivor was good, it's a shame the rest of the game is so formulaic because I actually think she and a few of the other NPCs were some of the best they've made.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Even though I've only just started Valhalla I see that Black Flag is on sail and am tempted to buy it for later. Just in case I might enjoy being a pirate.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Even though I've only just started Valhalla I see that Black Flag is on sail and am tempted to buy it for later. Just in case I might enjoy being a pirate.

It has horrible stick to the wrong thing parkour but otoh, it is the best pirate game. Also "sail"

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

wit posted:

It has horrible stick to the wrong thing parkour but otoh, it is the best pirate game. Also "sail"

There should be more pirate games.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Dick Trauma posted:

it's good if you can get it for a deal

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I really typed "on sail."

I think my brain is broken.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

When it's on sail you can buy it for ship.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dick Trauma posted:

Perfect brain to play Black Flag with

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

It cool, on sail is how pirates say on fleek.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Although I hate stealth in video games I decided to give it a go in Stavanger because there were two POI inside little forts. It was a bit messy, but I succeeded. The high point was when I expertly assassinated a guard in a watch tower but then accidentally hurled their body out the door and down onto two other guards who sounded the alarm.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Giving Valhalla a go after bouncing once barely past arriving in England. I can’t get over how little it feels like This England, though. Sure, there are spots here and there, a morrow or a church in some fog, but compared to Odyssey and Origins, I’m not feeling it, though I am just barely out of the first settlement and headed north.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I will attest to the authenticity of the Fens of Hearthatchfordshire Upon Thames as depicted in this videogame game. It's a loving field bro, sun is only out for 2 out of the 24 in-game hours.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Reviews are out for the DLC, looks like it's complete garbage

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It reads like a worse version of the Atlantis expansion for Odyssey

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Atlantis was saved by the scene with modern Kassandra, can't have that here

also female Eivor really suffers from the canned facial reactions, her mocapped smiles are great, but the ones where a quest designer decides to just raise part of her mouth are horrible

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Too bad the ragnarok DLC sucks. Now i'll never live out my dreams of being a buff axe man ripping a trail of destruction through the world of norse mythology in a video game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oh yeah smart guy, well what if I wanted to be a buff WOMAN ripping a trail of destruction through the world of n... oh nevermind, they got that covered, too.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

As it could only ever be

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Kuiperdolin posted:

Reviews are out for the DLC, looks like it's complete garbage

lmao that one of the good points in the conclusion is basically "there certainly is... content!"

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Complete garbage is kinda harsh.

It's just more Valhalla with new toys and a new playground, for better or worse depending on how you felt about Valhalla. :shrug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Pretty dumb that you can no longer buy the Valhalla + season pass bundle. It's either The base game + Ragnarok, or the everything bundle.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I thought one of the big complaints with Valhalla was how long its story was even compared to Origins and Odyssey? England is twice the size of Greece and isn't 50% ocean, and I'm gonna need to visit every territory here, and there's apparently three other maps, and I'm headed back to Norway at some point? I can't imagine anyone in the world was clamoring for "just more Valhalla" and the price point is ridiculous imho.

E:

Rinkles posted:

Pretty dumb that you can no longer buy the Valhalla + season pass bundle. It's either The base game + Ragnarok, or the everything bundle.

Also very cool that Ragnarok isn't even discounted for season pass holders

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I must have missed something at the beginning of the story. I'm still roaming around the southern part of the starting area, around Stavanger. There's various POI, most of which are within areas guarded by hostiles. But who are these hostiles? Are they part of a storyline faction, or just random enemies to fight?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I must have missed something at the beginning of the story. I'm still roaming around the southern part of the starting area, around Stavanger. There's various POI, most of which are within areas guarded by hostiles. But who are these hostiles? Are they part of a storyline faction, or just random enemies to fight?

They're Kjotve's clan, you definitely missed something.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Dick Trauma posted:

There’s no one you can’t really kill with wild abandon in these games.

I finished rear end Creed: Liberation last night. Not a bad little game, some clunky mechanics but some fun mechanics too. Highlights are some pretty cool areas and a quest to find fevered Bayou individuals where you had to “incapacitate them” (9/10 this involved twisting their neck like chicken bone) and then administering the antidote.

On to.. fuckin’... AC3 DLC I guess.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

bike tory posted:

They're Kjotve's clan, you definitely missed something.

Oh, I thought that by killing Kjotve that his faction had died with him. In that case I feel no regret for sneaking into his bases and killing his dudes.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sandwolf posted:

There’s no one you can’t really kill with wild abandon in these games.

I finished rear end Creed: Liberation last night. Not a bad little game, some clunky mechanics but some fun mechanics too. Highlights are some pretty cool areas and a quest to find fevered Bayou individuals where you had to “incapacitate them” (9/10 this involved twisting their neck like chicken bone) and then administering the antidote.

On to.. fuckin’... AC3 DLC I guess.

The persona system was cool if a little underbaked. It feels a few iterations away from being really good.

To me the real highlight was swinging on the whip, Indy-style.

The downlight was the lack of any interesting building beside the Cathedral.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Kuiperdolin posted:

The persona system was cool if a little underbaked. It feels a few iterations away from being really good.

To me the real highlight was swinging on the whip, Indy-style.

The downlight was the lack of any interesting building beside the Cathedral.

The whip was actually cool, I enjoyed using it in combat more than I expected. Persona system was cool just needed a little more work and to not force you into being the “can’t parkour” lady.

Yeah New Orleans definitely needed *more* but I thought the bayou was alright.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The AC3 DLC is the best part of AC3 at least

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Captain Walker posted:

I can't imagine anyone in the world was clamoring for "just more Valhalla"

I'd have liked more Valhalla actually in Britain, but I'm not spending more than a fiver for this dlc.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

bobjr posted:

The AC3 DLC is the best part of AC3 at least

Something about playin the game through and then going and starting DLC that does the “we’ve taken away all your items and you have to regain your power level!!” stuff that always feels contrived made me bounce off of it. Also so many collectibles jfc

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Are there any AC3 DLCs apart from Washington Did Nothing Wrong one? Because that one was not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

ilitarist posted:

Are there any AC3 DLCs apart from Washington Did Nothing Wrong one? Because that one was not great.

NOPE and so far, I'd largely agree, but I'm p. much out of Assassin's Creed to play, next option is the non-Deity related DLC for Odyssey and Origins cuz gently caress the Mythology poo poo.