Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Outrail posted:

I guess having a bus factor of one is fine as long as you're the one who gets hit by the bus.

Oddly enough this resembles my retirement plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

They told me no raises cause of covid and then hired someone with a bachelor’s and 6-months experience on full-time at $600 less annually than made.

My work had a record year in 2019, then said in 2020 that their business was down a million dollars year over year and they can't give out any bonuses. Looked up the work on the PPP loan forgiveness database and it turns out they just got a million dollars free from the government to pocket. They did spend 60% of that on rent to themselves since they own the property under a different company name

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Capital shows no mercy to labor, why should labor not use every tactic available to force negotiation in their favor?

Do you think hospitality workers have a valid complaint about tip distribution?

Oh they absolutely should and do respectively, but those conditions just don’t exist anywhere I’ve been in the industry. Sounds like they’re doing it right and I certainly wish them the best but those are some big assumptions on your part.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

no_tears posted:

We were just named in Forbes top startups in the US for 2022, so the growth is definitely there, but I think they just did it too quickly and we’re in this awkward period where the user base is still growing but isn’t quite to the point where everyone has poo poo to do during the day. Like I have maybe 4 hours of work in my 10 hour day? The other 6 I work on ~projects~

A study showed that most workers only have between 2 to 4 hours of work to get done a day

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Improbable Lobster posted:

A study showed that most workers only have between 2 to 4 hours of work to get done a day

Sounds accurate to me.

I assume the extra two hours of pointless emails doesn't count

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Rugikiki posted:

Oh they absolutely should and do respectively, but those conditions just don’t exist anywhere I’ve been in the industry. Sounds like they’re doing it right and I certainly wish them the best but those are some big assumptions on your part.

Last reply on this: I assumed nothing, I said it's a good idea to have a sympathetic strike if it can be arranged.

I understand it's difficult to not argue, but I'm just giving unsolicited advice on the internet.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Azuth0667 posted:

gently caress you, employers have had it too good and jerk people around relentlessly with respect to hiring. Negotiating from a position of strength lets you have a list like that.

Yeah, this. And no, employers with active job searches absolutely need to be available for the duration of the hiring process unless a specific timeline of "you will hear from us within x days or after x date" is explicitly laid out. Especially for entry level and junior positions, those job classes get yanked around way too much. I hire 4-6 people every year and that's usually from an applicant pool of 12-15 people, most of them looking for their first or second job in this field. As I take in applications and email them back to confirm receipt I let them know when to expect to hear from me about interviews. At the end of the interview, I lay out when I expect to be making offers. For both of those, I always tell them "feel free to contact me at any point if something has changed for you, you've gotten another offer, or if you just need some reassurance that you're still on my radar." And then for the rejections, I send each of them a personal email. The number of people who seem surprised to be getting a timely and personal rejection email always catches me off guard, and a lot of them say "thanks, you're the only one who's done this." Pretty frequently a rejected candidate applies the following year and gets the job.

Don't gently caress around with the people you're interviewing. They will probably remain in your field and they'll remember it. A lot of them will make their way up the ladder until they're hiring and mentoring people of their own, and they'll say "hey, that bunch over their has lovely hiring practices, I wouldn't recommend them." And as an employee, I sure as hell wouldn't want to work for/with someone who began a potential professional relationship with that kind of disregard for my efforts.

I've got a past colleague who every now and then sniffs around my lab for potential hires, since we hire a lot of young seasonal employees and train them up well. Recently, one of my current technicians was job hunting with my support and applied to this other colleague's hiring pool. Instead of calling me, the listed reference on my technician's CV, he called another guy in my office trying to get information about the tech. He had some personal beef with something this tech had on his resume (some outdoor recreational guiding employment) and implied that he probably wasn't going to give the tech much attention in the application process, or defer him to a different office, all without ever making any contact with either the tech or me about it. On top of the insult that a current employee in my lab, of whom I'm proud to work with and invested a lot of time training and working alongside, wouldn't be good enough for the job he was applying for because he was a guide, the insult to that tech was just too much. From now on, that old colleague and his office are absolutely blackballed for us. If one of my techs ever lets me know they are applying for that office, I'll be clear about why I think their practices are unethical and downright lovely. If my boss (past boss of this lovely old colleague) ever hears about it, he's going to come unglued.

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong

I believe it! I’m fortunate enough to work from home, so my biggest struggle is making sure my status on Slack doesn’t appear as AFK after I get my busy work done.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Variant situation that's also super common: I have the work, I just don't have the mental energy to do it the full 8 hours.

Though we are working through a backlog, so who knows once that gets caught up...

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

love how there's always a handful of people in every slack/teams/whatever that can't use threads no matter how many times you tell them and it annoys everyone else

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
I work for a railroad. I really wish I could tell you about half of the dumb poo poo my managers have been doing over the last month or so without having to write out a fuckin' encyclopedia to explain all of the jargon and just why some of this poo poo is so abhorrent.

In lieu of that, please let me tell you that railroads haven't changed all that much since the 1800s, especially in terms of labor relations. I think the only key differences are that we use diesel powered trains instead of steam locomotives and run much, much longer and heavier trains.

I like this career a lot - I legitimately can't imagine myself being happy doing anything besides railroading - but my god, I just want to work for a company that treats the train crews respectfully and invests even a little bit of money into their aging infrastructure.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Tex Avery posted:

I work for a railroad
I just want to work for a company that treats the train crews respectfully and invests even a little bit of money into their aging infrastructure

Lol

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Tex Avery posted:

I work for a railroad. I really wish I could tell you about half of the dumb poo poo my managers have been doing over the last month or so without having to write out a fuckin' encyclopedia to explain all of the jargon and just why some of this poo poo is so abhorrent.

In lieu of that, please let me tell you that railroads haven't changed all that much since the 1800s, especially in terms of labor relations. I think the only key differences are that we use diesel powered trains instead of steam locomotives and run much, much longer and heavier trains.

I like this career a lot - I legitimately can't imagine myself being happy doing anything besides railroading - but my god, I just want to work for a company that treats the train crews respectfully and invests even a little bit of money into their aging infrastructure.

Maybe on Japan. Maybe. I kinda want to be a train compactor that pushes people into the train, in uniform and gloves.

It's essentially my dream job, but unattainable

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Japan has a questionable track record on labour relations.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
On a screening call, the recruiter says he's got some questions passed on to him by the engineering team. The first one is "how does inversion of control relate to dependency injection?" This is giving me warm fuzzies already! Then he tells me there's going to be a 2h technical interview with screen sharing. I politely explain why I won't be moving forward, thank him for his time, and wish him good luck in filling the role.

He was very nice about it and said he understood where I was coming from. That felt good!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

goatface posted:

Japan has a questionable track record on labour relations.

Don't destroy my unicorn please. I need this working my technical support job.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Don't worry. I don't know how inversion of control relates to dependency injection, either.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

gleebster posted:

Don't worry. I don't know how inversion of control relates to dependency injection, either.

this might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Oh, it's like that, is it? Had me bamboozled

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Margarita Makers have truly come a long way

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SubnormalityStairs posted:

On a screening call, the recruiter says he's got some questions passed on to him by the engineering team. The first one is "how does inversion of control relate to dependency injection?" This is giving me warm fuzzies already! Then he tells me there's going to be a 2h technical interview with screen sharing. I politely explain why I won't be moving forward, thank him for his time, and wish him good luck in filling the role.

He was very nice about it and said he understood where I was coming from. That felt good!

Instead of hiring people, schedule a few 2 hour interviews every day and have a stream of desperately unemployed and confused engineers slowly complete every project piecemeal.

Like and subscribe for more cost saving tips

E: during the reporting phase switch to interviewing project managers and eng. Lit. Grad students.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Outrail posted:

Instead of hiring people, schedule a few 2 hour interviews every day and have a stream of desperately unemployed and confused engineers slowly complete every project piecemeal.

E: during the reporting phase switch to interviewing project managers and eng. Lit. Grad students.

Sounds like your describing development opportunities

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Scientastic posted:

Sounds like your describing development opportunities

Interviewers please bill your time under the new federally funded 'fast track internship initiative'

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Changing my username to "Desperately Confused Engineer"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Outrail posted:

Maybe if technical interviews were anything besides gossipping about the latest riddle in the back of your trade pubs.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

gleebster posted:

Dependency injection is a form of inversion of control. It's squares and rectangles.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Dependency injection is a form of inversion of control. It's squares and rectangles.

So next you'll want us to demonstrate our mastery of inheritance hierarchies, right?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Zopotantor posted:

So next you'll want us to demonstrate our mastery of inheritance hierarchies, right?

I've been training my whole life for this

CLASS DOG EXTENDS ANIMAL

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I feel that sampler homework problems for technically interviewing is A) a larger time sink for me than the technical interviews would be, and B) disrespectful of your candidate's time. If the only time I realistically have free to do this is Saturday and Sunday, you're stealing my weekend in exchange for what is probably a rejection letter.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Armitag3 posted:

I've been training my whole life for this

CLASS DOG EXTENDS ANIMAL

Now tell me the difference between a Class and a Struct.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I feel that sampler homework problems for technically interviewing is A) a larger time sink for me than the technical interviews would be, and B) disrespectful of your candidate's time. If the only time I realistically have free to do this is Saturday and Sunday, you're stealing my weekend in exchange for what is probably a rejection letter.

Hey, I don't blame you for feeling that way, that's totally valid. I try to be as respectful with people's time as possible, so I've made the exercise as simple and short as possible, and there's literally no set timeline. Actually I've posted about the exercise before:

I made a little development exercise that we send out to candidates. It's pretty simple, we give them a few assets to throw into an app that should allow the user to drag and drop an item into a container. And this is in a dev environment that's built for this kind of thing, so it's maybe a few hours of work to complete even if you've never used the platform in question. This is part of the screening process too, not a live interview or something, so you get the stuff, you can complete it on your own time, nobody's looking over your shoulder, and there's no time limit (although I do understand that people want to rush through it to get it done as quickly as possible). We ask them to publish to an executable, and then send the source code and executable back to us.

You WOULD NOT BELIEVE how many applicants I've been able to screen out with this thing. I'd say about 80% fail out at this stage. I have yet to have a bad hire who's gone through this process.

So I say "even if" but really it's just "if"... if you know the tech it's half an hour to an hour if you're trying to be fancy (like making the object tween nicely if you don't drop it directly into the container). You're not wrong about there being a high rate of rejection, but in order to make it to an actual interview with me you just need to make the thing work without significant defects. Like yes, I will actually have an interview with somebody if they're a junior but the task of "let the user drag and drop an object into a container" isn't perfect. But I've had applicants with 5+ years of experience fail to make this work without it being horribly broken in some way.

I feel less bad about asking people to do this exercise with the possibility of wasting that time only to get rejected than I do about asking people to do this exercise with the possibility of getting hired at maybe 60% of the market starting salary for the position.

Edit: and not for nothin that I do this with my candidates because it's what I would prefer myself. I get that some folks (clearly) would prefer a technical interview, but I also (clearly) can't make everyone happy.

Tinestram fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 11, 2022

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Batterypowered7 posted:

Now tell me the difference between a Class and a Struct.

The language inserts STRUCTNAME_ in front of the function name for you.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

I saw an Apple news article about that that lead to multiple other arguments stating a bunch of analysis shows what those of us on the bottom of the company hierarchy already know: forcing us to work in an office work when we are not customer facing and do not interact with coworkers/superiors in a meaningful way while doing our job is unnecessarily and less conducive to productivity, creativity, then management believes.

Since I can’t afford to live by myself anywhere within a drivable distance of where I work, and our company apparently uses some hr app that looks for keywords for sorting applications for jobs in other states (those phrases are in my resume, but the system made me choose 5 that I feel are my strongest skills), I am likely going to have to search for a job outside of the company.

This sucks because I have a ton of knowledge but no degree, so I don’t know that a search outside of the company will yield me better results. Also, other companies in the industry are filled with much more stupid and/or evil.

Also, the chain of command got broke enough that the stuff I’ve been trying to get fixed since I started working there is finally seeing massive improvements.

Basically, I’ve worked really loving hard at this job to not be treated poorly, but because the upper echelons are loving delusional, I’m going to have to start all over again.

I hate my life. I wish corporations cared about making employees lives better.

naem
May 29, 2011

I worked for a non-profit that had toxic bosses in charge of toxic bosses, all the way down. it was all people near the end of their career who had been let go for being toxic assholes late in life and they recruited each other, but then had no one to be toxic at so they’d turn on each other constantly and had high turnover.

they also would only hire other people in their sixties into management roles. Several people took a job, got a six figure income, put it all in the bank and would then leave a year or two later to retire with a little extra cash and they couldn’t figure out why people kept leaving.

several people died, one in the building.

I benefited from the age blinders though because in my thirties they thought I was like a recent college grad and hired me with no experience

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Shugojin posted:

love how there's always a handful of people in every slack/teams/whatever that can't use threads no matter how many times you tell them and it annoys everyone else

The venn diagram overlap is pretty significant for those folks and the folks who just reply to whatever-loving-email in the chain instead of replying to latest so there ends up being 5 different conversations happening about the exact same thing with people saying "what? who said that? I don't see that? what are we even talking about now?"

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Chatting with the recruiter

Her: "Do you have access to your email?"

Me: "...yes?"

Her: "Ok, I just sent you an invite to fill out a form, can you see it?"

Me: "... ...yeesss?"

Her: "Ok, could you just fill that out and let me know when you're finished?"

*click*

*sigh*

I mean, I got it, but c'mon now.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Bored posted:

I saw an Apple news article about that that lead to multiple other arguments stating a bunch of analysis shows what those of us on the bottom of the company hierarchy already know: forcing us to work in an office work when we are not customer facing and do not interact with coworkers/superiors in a meaningful way while doing our job is unnecessarily and less conducive to productivity, creativity, then management believes.

Oh for sure. A high number of those articles trying to guilt people back into hour long commutes that serve no purpose seem to try to focus on how not wanting to get up super early and be stuck in traffic is the same as if you were closing small restaurants yourself. I don't care if my car staying parked all day means a few less dollars into the pockets of toll road operators, I like getting up an hour later and still having time to work out before checking in.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There’s a push in messaging that restaurants and stores near workplaces need the help from those workers being in office, but I might be different from the average in that I bring my own food and when I leave work I’d just rather go home first.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Chatting with the recruiter

Her: "Do you have access to your email?"

Me: "...yes?"

Her: "Ok, I just sent you an invite to fill out a form, can you see it?"

Me: "... ...yeesss?"

Her: "Ok, could you just fill that out and let me know when you're finished?"

*click*

*sigh*

I mean, I got it, but c'mon now.

but i don't drive a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You wouldn’t download instantiate a car.