Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

FFT posted:

Hmm. Bolsonaro and Duterte, though
MAGA crowds loving love Bolsonaro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Does anyone really think Putin doesn't do this if Trump is the president?

Doesn't matter, we're post-truth. He just needs to say something that people can repeat to avoid conceding arguments

People who want to vote for Trump anyway will say Russia would never have invaded if Trump were in charge, people who don't want to vote for Trump (the Lincoln Project Republicans or whoever) won't

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Star Man posted:

I think Reagan himself would have absolutely no problem with Putin. Hell, I think he would have had no problem with Stalin so long as he wasn't a communist.

I imagine it would be more like Reagan/Bush's attitude to Saddam. They loving loved him for being an authoritarian dictator who killed commies and caused problems for our enemies, but the second he hosed with America's geopolitical interests he became "Hitler reborn" and oh we've always hated that guy.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

VitalSigns posted:

I imagine it would be more like Reagan/Bush's attitude to Saddam. They loving loved him for being an authoritarian dictator who killed commies and caused problems for our enemies, but the second he hosed with America's geopolitical interests he became "Hitler reborn" and oh we've always hated that guy.

And Noriega, don't forget him

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

FFT posted:

Hmm. Bolsonaro and Duterte, though

To the point that chuds even know pols outside of the US, they really like Bolsonaro.

Duterte is a bit too brown to be loved, but he sure stopped being pounded in the western press for his (very real) terribleness as soon as he stopped getting cozy with China.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fox-news-russia-canceled/

Fox News Guest Sasy ‘Russia Is Now Being Canceled’

quote:

This was a genuine statement made by Monica Crowley on the March 1, 2022, episode of “Jesse Watters Primetime,” a TV show on Fox News that airs on weeknights and is hosted by Jesse Watters. Crowley was the former assistant secretary for public affairs at the Treasury Department under U.S. President Donald Trump.

Her remarks came one day after “Star Trek” actor George Takei tweeted: “Waiting for the right to complain how Russia is being canceled.”

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess because I just grew up at the dawn of this whole right wing shift where Lord Godfather Reagan was all in on the Soviets as the biggest threat to everything ever and all the popular action movies were centered around beating the evil commies. Rocky was beating up Drago. Red Dawn. You had the Olympics rivalry and the boycotts and all that poo poo. It's just bizarre to me to see this entire movement or culture or whatever you call it, that thinks Reagan belongs on Mt Rushmore, actively and openly rooting for the world's second biggest military and nuclear power in a war of aggression when they used to want to nuke them.

Just about all the Reagan Worshiping government representatives and talking heads who shill for Putin were alive for more of the Cold War than most of us here, too.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It was never about the cause, it was always bullying and tribalism. Reagan worship and beating the evil empire is exactly equivalent to Trump talking about how he's got the biggest and bestest nuclear button. Bolsonaro gets a nod because game respects game.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The big boys in the convoy are scared because girls in Hyundai's flipped them off

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1501772423905124354?s=20&t=yqkRi4PoReu6DrNEgGsjhQ

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

CommieGIR posted:

The big boys in the convoy are scared because girls in Hyundai's flipped them off

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1501772423905124354?s=20&t=yqkRi4PoReu6DrNEgGsjhQ

Ah, yes, the normal relaxed middle finger, a thing notorious for existing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"gently caress! Let's get out of here!"
"What, it's just the bird. We've all seen it."
"No, man. Fuckin' DRIVE"
"See? Look, they're just fli--OH gently caress"

*the trucker's face turns to ash and flies off his skull; his companion screams and desperately grabs the wheel his dead friend still clutches*

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

The thing that has to be kept in mind is that these people think that their POV is the in line with vast majority who are just too cowed by the oppressive regime to take action.

They're heroes standing up for the little people at their own great risk and adversity.

That people are just ignoring them or casually flipping them off is a big hole in that whole philosophy.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Murgos posted:

The thing that has to be kept in mind is that these people think that their POV is the in line with vast majority who are just too cowed by the oppressive regime to take action.

They're heroes standing up for the little people at their own great risk and adversity.

That people are just ignoring them or casually flipping them off is a big hole in that whole philosophy.

Their entire worldview is just this dumb movie:

Last Ounce of Courage on IMDB

They think they are the tough, strong Patriot man sticking up for the little guy and repressed values, when in reality they are a bunch of petulant assholes that the majority of Americans don't want to deal with anymore. We've been through this nonsense for years now because of their selfishness, and people are tired of it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Except I don't even know what they're protesting anymore. Covid restrictions are lifted pretty much everywhere. These people just like to wave flags and yell "Mericuh".

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CommieGIR posted:

Sure am glad that only these super tough folks are defending our freedumbs. I hope he doesn't run into someone with a particularly severe RBF or something.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BiggerBoat posted:

Except I don't even know what they're protesting anymore. Covid restrictions are lifted pretty much everywhere. These people just like to wave flags and yell "Mericuh".

Murgos posted:

A lot of history about everyday people rising up against their oppressors can seem inspiring to certain people. Unable to parse subtext or nuance they just see the central theme of "person is mad, person does thing, person gets what they want." I mean look at how the Revolutionary War gets mythologized to people on the right. They want to be that kind of hero in their own story.

The whole world is changing, and them stubbornly resisting that change makes them feel like the only right ones. So they decide a way to fight back against it. But as mentioned above, the things they are fighting don't really exist. We're not in a 1984 hellscape in the way they think we are. Not only that, what's the endgame? What's the big victory they are going to get that will change things for the better and venerate them as heroes and patriots? That's pretty vague too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Not only that, what's the endgame? What's the big victory they are going to get that will change things for the better and venerate them as heroes and patriots? That's pretty vague too.

I dunno either. Guess I'll have to fire up the old AM dial tomorrow and get it all explained to me.

I'll report back with my findings.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Laura Ingram did this today, so yeah, this bit of internet insanity is mainstream now.
https://twitter.com/brainnotonyet/status/1501777093444702208

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BiggerBoat posted:

I dunno either. Guess I'll have to fire up the old AM dial tomorrow and get it all explained to me.

I'll report back with my findings.

Don't hurt yourself like that.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Laura Ingram did this today, so yeah, this bit of internet insanity is mainstream now.

I think we should debate whether waves of political violence against American liberals would technically qualify as "genocide."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dr Christmas posted:

Pretty much indistinguishable from comments by DeSantis' crazy spokesperson

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I think we should debate whether waves of political violence against American liberals would technically qualify as "genocide."

Let's not.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s not liberals they want to genocide.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
For Fox News, "liberal" actually means "anyone who's not a straight white male devotee of Donald Trump specifically". Reagan himself would be a "liberal" nowadays for even giving a fig leaf towards the idea of fact-based governance.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The world's most powerful hypnotist is once again on the market

https://twitter.com/spurtmagoo/status/1502065429937893379

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

greazeball posted:

He's taking care of her kids?

Is she writing a book on how to be a master persuader? Because that one I might read.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She would certainly have the more successful video series about hypnotizing viewers into having satisfying orgasms on New Year’s Eve.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Someone is seriously going to get killed eventually

quote:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjbnyd/georgia-fulton-county-election-conspiracy

How an Election Conspiracy Theory Led Back to Georgia Cops

Off-duty police officers were hired to sit outside an elections warehouse to see if they found anything suspicious. Chaos ensued.

An election conspiracy that went viral on right-wing news sites and was promoted by former President Donald Trump has been debunked by security footage obtained exclusively by VICE News.

In May 2021 in Fulton County, Georgia, an alarm was triggered in an election warehouse that stored ballots and voting machines from the 2020 presidential election. A photo taken of an open door at the warehouse was used by conspiracy theorists and right-wing media to claim that the 2020 election was, indeed, insecure. But through a series of interviews and Freedom of Information Act requests, VICE News found that it wasn’t election workers who opened that door—it was off-duty police officers.

Emerald Robinson, a former White House Correspondent for far right news site Newsmax, tweeted a picture of the open door, and said “a secure building where ballots are kept” was “found left wide open and unattended.” Robinson said she obtained the photo from an attorney working on the Fulton County audit.

An avalanche ensued: the Gateway Pundit, a website that is currently being sued by two Fulton County election officials for instigating harassment and death threats, also picked up and shared the story.

The photo quickly sparked weeks of conspiracy theories with right-wing outlets and conservative influencers; they claimed that this open door proved that any individual could enter the building and potentially tamper with the ballots.

After making its rounds, the story reached the former president.

On May 31, Trump released a statement using the same headline as the Gateway Pundit. “Great work is being done in Georgia revealing the Election Fraud of the 2020 Presidential Election,” the statement said. “But we must not allow ANYONE to compromise these ballots by leaving the building unsecured.”

By July 2021, the story made its way to Tucker Carlson Tonight on Fox News.

“On a Saturday night in late May of this year, an alarm sounded in a big nondescript warehouse in Fulton County, Georgia,” Tucker told his audience of millions. “By the time those deputies returned to check out the alarm, someone had opened the 100-pound door to the warehouse.”

The impact from these conspiracy theories, however, can’t be understated. A poll from earlier this year showed that nearly half of Americans believe the election was stolen—in part because of hyperlocal conspiracy theories like the open door in Fulton County.

And for those who were already skeptical of the election results, this story reinforced the belief that there was massive voter fraud in the 2020 election and prompted some to threaten actual violence.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 11, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

greazeball posted:

Honestly I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did, he was livestreaming the 2016 election and when Trump was declared the winner he was hooting and hollering and she was on the couch looking like her life was over.

Fantastic burn by that one dude though.

e: So what is ESG and why is Glenn Beck screaming that it's The Great Reset that will destroy the world?

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 11, 2022

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

Someone is seriously going to get killed eventually

I mean, yeah. That's generally the point in fascist regimes. Then when it happens the peddlers of this bullshit will run the Jan 6 playbook all over again because it's the same playbook all these regimes use.

"You can't blame me I didn't pull the trigger. Stop making this political you are dividing the nation with your hateful rhetoric. We had no way of knowing this would happen. If you weren't causing these problems this wouldn't have happened. It wasn't that bad really. They deserved it anyway look how terrible the victims are. Stop making us the victims and things can get better. You won't stop attacking us we have to attack first to defend ourselves and the real patriots."

Find an abused spouse and ask them about DARVO. Then scale it up to national political parties and the eventual genocide of undesirables.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Twelve by Pies posted:

e: So what is ESG and why is Glenn Beck screaming that it's The Great Reset that will destroy the world?

Environmental, Social, and Governance: https://www.cfainstitute.org/en/research/esg-investing

He seems to have blue-skied from this, where non-financial factors like climate change and diverse representation are increasingly playing a role in investors' viewpoints, to the Chinese "social credit" system, and is pretending the whole thing means that the government itself is enforcing "wokeness" in investment.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ah okay, he was saying "You called us conspiracy theorists but this proves we were right, it's actually real!" and how all local businesses and banks were begging politicians to ban it because it would put them out of business.

Also last night I was out super late and I happened to hear a bit from the Jesse Kelly Show, some guy I've never heard of before. It was one of the most irritating things I've ever heard. The guy is like the smuggest motherfucker imaginable, just his tone and the way he said things made it clear he thinks he's hot poo poo and the greatest guy alive, he also is one of those people who thinks they're extremely funny but isn't, constantly laughing at his own "jokes." I'd rather listen to literally any other right wing radio host for hours on end than listen to that guy for five minutes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

I mean, yeah. That's generally the point in fascist regimes. Then when it happens the peddlers of this bullshit will run the Jan 6 playbook all over again because it's the same playbook all these regimes use.

"You can't blame me I didn't pull the trigger. Stop making this political you are dividing the nation with your hateful rhetoric. We had no way of knowing this would happen. If you weren't causing these problems this wouldn't have happened. It wasn't that bad really. They deserved it anyway look how terrible the victims are. Stop making us the victims and things can get better. You won't stop attacking us we have to attack first to defend ourselves and the real patriots."

Find an abused spouse and ask them about DARVO. Then scale it up to national political parties and the eventual genocide of undesirables.

A bit of that, sure, but there's also the thing where ever loving time it happens, a large portion of the right starts claiming it was a false flag funded by Soros' Antifa operatives.

Because all these assholes (that are well documented online and especially in the FREEP thread) clamoring to feed blood to the tree of liberty and calling for revolution that begins with things like assassinating Nancy Pelosi while they keep their powder dry and their guns oiled would NEVER do anything violent or any such a thing like storm the Capitol building at Lord Trump's behest, ever.

That's absurd!

These loving dumb dumbs have been clamoring for a violent uprising way back when Obama was a secret Muslim Kenyan terrorist that was gonna grab everyone's guns and put them in all FEMA camps. Where on earth would anyone EVER get the idea that they were capable of such heinous behavior?

BeckySucrose
Mar 1, 2022

Twelve by Pies posted:

So what is ESG and why is Glenn Beck screaming that it's The Great Reset that will destroy the world?

Here's the neutral explanation, and here's the racist one.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
As Beck probably knows off camera, "ESG" doesn't even say much about how a fund is managed. It's a label that fund companies slap on because it attracts a certain kind of investor with more idealism than rigor.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I found myself agreeing with Buck Sexton the other day (I know, it broke me a little) when he was trying to warn Fox viewers from spreading Russian disinformation and explaining why the MiG plane deal wasn't a good thing and that Biden was correct in stopping it (problems with where they would launch, being one of them). I wondered if he's been saying the same things on his Rush-replacement radio show, and if there's been any pushback on his reasoning? Are there any other RWM folks straying from the Putin Party line?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

VorpalBunny posted:

I found myself agreeing with Buck Sexton the other day (I know, it broke me a little) when he was trying to warn Fox viewers from spreading Russian disinformation and explaining why the MiG plane deal wasn't a good thing and that Biden was correct in stopping it (problems with where they would launch, being one of them). I wondered if he's been saying the same things on his Rush-replacement radio show, and if there's been any pushback on his reasoning? Are there any other RWM folks straying from the Putin Party line?

I think Mark Levin has been going with "RUSSIA IS ALL SOCIALISTS! BIDEN IS A MARXIST! HUNTER BIDEN'S LAPTOP INVADED UKRAINE WITH MSLSD AND THE NEW YORK SLIMES!"

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 14, 2022

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

"Have you ever wondered why this thing we keep insisting happens never actually happens? Well it's all because this one guy wants to destroy western civilization"

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

"Using money to lobby is an essential part of free speech!"

"no, not like that!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The right wing media has found the new thing to criticize Biden about and that is "Biden is using Moscow as a mediator to try and revive the Iran nuclear deal! Biden clearly isn't doing as much as he should be to isolate Russia because he has to stay friendly with them so he can keep using them."