Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Presumably you'd also want to avoid the CCG aspect of it. Maybe more in the deckbuilding genre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Presumably you'd also want to avoid the CCG aspect of it. Maybe more in the deckbuilding genre?

Well in this context I figure proxy cards would be fine, plus I think much of the appeal of this concept would be in replicating Card Game Anime shenanigans anyways so using a preexisting and known TCG would be best(particularly since the players will likely have at least some basic idea how to play through cultural osmosis if nothing else), with much of the system involving developing their decks further and to better fit their characters

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

I think you have to change you're starting assumptions. I've been getting really into Icon (the fantasy Lancer successor), and in Icon, there's no jump ability. You can't jump if your class doesn't have a jump ability. You're the world's greatest warrior and your enemy is standing on the other side of a five foot gulf? Too bad, they might as well be on the moon.

I think there's an increasing comfort with rules that say "this is a game, we have rules to make the game mechanics fun, here's what you can and cannot do" and players are willing to play along with that. I think you could absolutely have a game where there was a conceit "everybody is near everybody else all the time always, because you're all just super awesome".

But I was curious about the state of the art, as opposed to the what could be designed one day.

Edit:

Exactly. I'm curious what the tolerance is for that, especially in a crunchy game (I know there are lighter / PbtA style games where that's assumed, but I was curious about deep, mechanical weight).

The crunchiest game I can think of that does front row/back row is Super Console.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

That Old Tree posted:

I am compelled to mention TOR again (sorry if you addressed it already and I missed it). It's a little bit more complex "range"-wise than simply melee/ranged, but just barely.

I will have to pick up The One Ring, as I've never read it.

Tulip posted:

Oh for sure it isn't, but it could be turned into one or a system of a larger RPG if you wanted to be insane

I think "RPG but also card game" is a holy grail pursuit, but that's also so much more insane bigger than what I'm after. But I would play it in a heartbeat.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CitizenKeen posted:

I think "RPG but also card game" is a holy grail pursuit, but that's also so much more insane bigger than what I'm after. But I would play it in a heartbeat.

Shadowfist adapted to run a Feng Shui game could be awesome

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

I think the big thing would be keeping the rules for the non card game portions super simple since the card game and deck building portions would be the most complex and time consuming parts of the game

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

drrockso20 posted:

I think the big thing would be keeping the rules for the non card game portions super simple since the card game and deck building portions would be the most complex and time consuming parts of the game

Agreed. Again, I'm neck deep in Icon, and Icon is basically "Lancer/Final Fantasy Tactics for important combat, vanilla Forged in the Dark for everything else". Lancer did the same thing. I think there's quite a paradigm for "combat is meaty, everything else is one step higher than hand-wavey".

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I feel like the Arkham Horror LCG is as close as it's possible to get as card game + rpg.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CitizenKeen posted:

I mean just being a card game is very doable - I read Aurora just now and is an RPG and is a card game but it's not like, remotely a complex one of either of those.

e: Thing is I would hate to play an entire game of magic to resolve a single combat

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

Agreed. Again, I'm neck deep in Icon, and Icon is basically "Lancer/Final Fantasy Tactics for important combat, vanilla Forged in the Dark for everything else". Lancer did the same thing. I think there's quite a paradigm for "combat is meaty, everything else is one step higher than hand-wavey".

Particularly since following Card Game Anime tropes any major situation would be resolved through Children's Card Games(possibly while on Motorcycles but not required)

Tulip posted:

I mean just being a card game is very doable - I read Aurora just now and is an RPG and is a card game but it's not like, remotely a complex one of either of those.

e: Thing is I would hate to play an entire game of magic to resolve a single combat

That's why you'd use a modified form of the rules to speed things up

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Patrol is another game with fairly meaty combat and abstracted other bits.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

How is Icon so far btw? Is it close to being fully finished? Triangle Strategy really got me in the tactical rpg mood lately

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

drrockso20 posted:

Well in this context I figure proxy cards would be fine, plus I think much of the appeal of this concept would be in replicating Card Game Anime shenanigans anyways so using a preexisting and known TCG would be best(particularly since the players will likely have at least some basic idea how to play through cultural osmosis if nothing else), with much of the system involving developing their decks further and to better fit their characters

Card Quest the single player videogame might be an interesting place to start from for such a project. I don't know how the hell you would balance it for multiple players. But it has the basic equipment/class feel down pat. The game is sometimes described as a handbuilder. Your deck is determined by your starting style/weapon/off hand. A major factor in play is balancing holding onto defensive cards in your hand vs. drawing cards to fuel your offence. I can post an example or two of play if people don't already own it.

Protips: you can mulligan your starting hand for a small stamina fee, you should do that if you have any doubts about your hand. The tutorials are intentionally unforgiving puzzles. If you see a plant depicted on your screen plan around being ambushed.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

So basically, early Final Fantasy-style jrpg combat, where in a given combat encounter everyone can hit everyone and relative positioning is not a consideration outside of maybe "I'm in the back row so I take slightly less damage but melee attacks are weaker" sort of abstract buffs?

This is explicitly how Fabula Ultima runs, being inspired largely by JRPGs. The only exception to everyone just being able to hit everyone is if an enemy has the Flying ability, in which case it can only be targeted by ranged attacks and spells, and becomes grounded either when it takes damage of a type it's vulnerable to or when it enters Crisis (being reduced to half HP).

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, part of it is... when does the exact volumetric blast zone of a fireball matter? Like the main point of it is that if you toss it into a melee, it will also fry your own dudes, not just the enemy dudes. I don't think fireballs having a stated blast radius is necessarily the sick slam dunk against ToTM 2e that you feel it is.

The thing is that fireballs don't have a stated blast radius. They have a stated blast volume (in cubic feet, no less) and the radius matters only in so far as it determines the volume. In 2e if you airburst a fireball it has a 20ft radius but if you drop it on the ground its radius is multiplied by the cube root of 2 for about 25ft because the fire can't go down and therefore needs to expand the top half of the sphere. Throw it in a corner and its radius is a whole lot larger again - and bad things happen when you drop one in kobold tunnels.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Plutonis posted:

How is Icon so far btw? Is it close to being fully finished? Triangle Strategy really got me in the tactical rpg mood lately

I really disliked it mechanically in the playtest my group did, but I also had the misfortune of playing a Freelancer which probably has the worst class mechanics out of any of them so far.

It does the "combat/noncombat" dichotomy better than Lancer did but that's the only positive thing I can really say for the game so far. I filed it next to GUN in terms of Tom's project quality.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Plutonis posted:

I admittedly haven't played it, because I want my maps-n-minis games played in person.

That being said, when I read the first playtest, I called a friend and said two things:

1. Mainline this poo poo right into my veins.
2. This is going to be a bear to balance.

Icon lacks fall-back "basic" moves, so if your class can get into a situation where you can't use your class powers, you're pretty hosed. And its movement economy is the tightest I think I've ever seen (tightest as in "most constrained", not as in "toight"). So if Icon gets kickstarted I'm backing at the highest level, but I doubt I can get my playtest-averse group to tackle it. If it can get to a place where its balanced and fun, though? I'm hopeful. Who knows.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Icon looks rad as gently caress. Powers like "grab someone, jump so high you're both off the map for a turn, then suplex them for half their health in damage" and "create a bomb everyone has to kick around like a hot potato until it randomly explodes" look fun as hell.

The not-in-a-fight stuff looks like an actual game as opposed to the sort of embarrassing cough Lancer had the moment the mechs weren't shooting at each other, so that'll be nice too.

Admittedly though, I've not played Icon yet, and some of the choices are very bold, like most characters not being able to move diagonally, or the maps being really small by standard.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Splicer posted:

Are the zones static to each other in your example? Like is it:

|A|B|C|D|E|

so to get from zone B to Zone D you need to at least nominally pass through A? Or could there be a hypothetical Zone Q off to one side? Because if the former all you need to know is that you are in zone B and your opponent is in zone D and the rest is trivial, while if Zone Q is around and moveable then you and the GM need to know "where" it is in relation to the others, and if it's fixed well now you just have a grid with extra steps.
IIRC, Double Cross uses Engagements without officially keeping track of their relative distance from each other. What matters are abilities that let you escape being engaged or freely move between engagements, like flight and intangibility.

Does Tunnels'n'Trolls count as a crunchy game? The rules aren't so complicated, but you are slinging buckets of dice

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, part of it is... when does the exact volumetric blast zone of a fireball matter? Like the main point of it is that if you toss it into a melee, it will also fry your own dudes, not just the enemy dudes. I don't think fireballs having a stated blast radius is necessarily the sick slam dunk against ToTM 2e that you feel it is.
These things sort of develop a subculture around them. Like, "how hosed are we if we cast fireball in this 5' wide hallway" has an entire body of gamer lore attached to it at this point. Sometimes people even carry these assumptions from D&D into other games where the rules work differently. I remember a lot of fireball jokes from the people I played Shadowrun with at the FLGS decades ago.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Halloween Jack posted:

These things sort of develop a subculture around them. Like, "how hosed are we if we cast fireball in this 5' wide hallway" has an entire body of gamer lore attached to it at this point. Sometimes people even carry these assumptions from D&D into other games where the rules work differently. I remember a lot of fireball jokes from the people I played Shadowrun with at the FLGS decades ago.

Shadowrun also has a "chunky salsa" rule for explosions in confined quarters doing more damage, though, at least in some editions, so it's actually very relevant there. A fireball in confined quarters just washes through more corridors, it doesn't do more intensive damage.

But, yeah, I associate with a lot of players who started on 1e D&D and... "fireball volume" never comes up with them.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Every other spell: Everything inside the radius does damage and outside the radius does nothing. Don't sweat it. It's magic.

Fireball: No, this MUST go off exactly like a FAE, pull out your calculators, we're figuring the cubic footage of this entire map!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mirage posted:

Every other spell: Everything inside the radius does damage and outside the radius does nothing. Don't sweat it. It's magic.

Fireball: No, this MUST go off exactly like a FAE, pull out your calculators, we're figuring the cubic footage of this entire map!

More spells should be math problems, to encourage people to use them less.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
A spell that lets you design your summoned golem using GURPS 3rd Edition Vehicles.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mirage posted:

~tradition~

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Now I understand why people get that fancy 3D terrain! You can measure fireball volume by tipping an equivalent measure of jam into it and seeing how it spreads!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's only one group of adventurers who would dare give me the raspberry!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

"A fireball affects a number of standard grid spaces equal to (whatever the dice modifier is and some appropriate algorithm). In reasonably open spaces such as large caverns or building interiors, or outdoors, treat as (appropriate radius); however, in tight corridors the blast will instead spread out to fill the number of grid spaces, moving evenly in all plausible directions, starting from the direction furthest from the caster's origin point and moving counterclockwise until all possible spaces are filled.
example: short illustration or two goes here"

You could even genericize this as a "fireball mechanic" for things like vapor/gas spells or traps.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Grid cubes dammit

Everything wants to handwave the 3rd dimension.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

hyphz posted:

Grid cubes dammit

Everything wants to handwave the 3rd dimension.

As someone who's been trying to make a parkour practitioner into a viable character (ie, having any mechanical use for that aspect, whether it's the dominant element or one of several) for the past decade - tell me about it. The concept of "over" and "under" are myths.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Zafir seems pretty slick. It's made me far more cognizant of the third dimension since I've read it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nessus posted:

"A fireball affects a number of standard grid spaces equal to (whatever the dice modifier is and some appropriate algorithm). In reasonably open spaces such as large caverns or building interiors, or outdoors, treat as (appropriate radius); however, in tight corridors the blast will instead spread out to fill the number of grid spaces, moving evenly in all plausible directions, starting from the direction furthest from the caster's origin point and moving counterclockwise until all possible spaces are filled.
example: short illustration or two goes here"

You could even genericize this as a "fireball mechanic" for things like vapor/gas spells or traps.
Mordenkainen's Ideal Gas

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

CitizenKeen posted:

Zafir seems pretty slick. It's made me far more cognizant of the third dimension since I've read it.

The pan flute guy?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So someone told me that Pathfinder 2nd Edition has some similarities to D&D 4th edition and that immediately made me very interested in Pathfinder 2nd edition.

Is this true? Is it good? I didn't see PF2e thread.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Mordiceius posted:

So someone told me that Pathfinder 2nd Edition has some similarities to D&D 4th edition and that immediately made me very interested in Pathfinder 2nd edition.

We have to say "Pathfinder" one more time to summon Arivia, but here's a link to the most recent page of the thread, where there seems to be some discussion of Pf2E vs D&D4E.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3270616&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=544

Xiahou Dun posted:

The pan flute guy?

https://www.zafirgame.com/

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
PF2e’s combat structure is similar to D&D4e but does have the issue that although there is a wide variety of combat actions per class, it’s often too good to just pick one and focus everything on it, then have no variety in actual play.

(It also has 3D problems. If you are critically hit with a flail while flying then you fall. This works fine in the dungeon but one of the APs tried to have a set piece battle between flying monsters and the PCs in a winged chariot over a city. But the first time a PC critted the monster they plummeted right out of the air and crash landed in the city below. Oddly, being a flying creature allowed them to take no damage from this, but not to not fall.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Xiahou Dun posted:

The pan flute guy?

No, the fermented milk drink.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

hyphz posted:

(It also has 3D problems. If you are critically hit with a flail while flying then you fall. This works fine in the dungeon but one of the APs tried to have a set piece battle between flying monsters and the PCs in a winged chariot over a city. But the first time a PC critted the monster they plummeted right out of the air and crash landed in the city below. Oddly, being a flying creature allowed them to take no damage from this, but not to not fall.)

Wouldn't this particular kind of situation just mean the monster got the benefit of not taking falling damage (and thus the crit wasn't way more damaging than it should be), but it did have to spend actions getting back into the fight instead of threatening the PCs? I guess depending how far down it was and how fast the monster could move, it might take the monster out of the fight for long enough to seriously mess with the challenge, but otherwise it sounds to me like a nice moment of unexpected synergy between a player's character choices and an unusual situation that would make the fight more memorable after the fact.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

It's not particularly true, and I didn't find much good in PF2e, I'm afraid. It's certainly not the 4.5e the world desperately needs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gort posted:

It's not particularly true, and I didn't find much good in PF2e, I'm afraid. It's certainly not the 4.5e the world desperately needs.

Does the world need that, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

My group would certainly be excited to try it.