Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/ProfTerryHughes/status/1501905829884473348

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
what frame on the chrono trigger lavos destroying the world cutscene would we be on right now

e: roughly around this ballbark, give or take 60 frames:

That Spooky Witch has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Mar 10, 2022

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

That Spooky Witch posted:

what frame on the chrono trigger lavos destroying the world cutscene would we be on right now

we're in 2300 ad

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Silence to say the view but not to whine about it. Cowards.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Femur posted:

We're all cowards for complaining but not Doing Something

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
Well, i dont know anything. I assume they do?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

T-Paine posted:

we're in 2300 ad
checks out, i'm still hungry

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Femur posted:

You have to understand that these are powerful people, and are used to not hearing about how some of their opinions might be bad or lead to something bad. It's a widespread affluenza strain and the world just has to accommodate for this vanishing minority's feelings. All we have to do is suffer and die for them without publicly complaining and it's not like peasants haven't been suffering and dying throughout history already so it's really a small ask when you think about it.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
Ok they should do drugs to go to sleep at night then, and not this coward shut to assauge their guilt.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
[double post

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

kreeningsons posted:

There’s one stand of virgin forest in monongahela National Forest in West Virginia, which survived against all odds due to a surveying error, but it’s quickly succumbing to disease.

The primeval forest of West Virginia sounds so alien. No one will get to experience it again. This whole post was an excuse to post this quote from 1857. All of the laurel brakes were clearcut and as far as I can tell groupings of laurel this extensive don’t exist anywhere anymore.

Didn't something super similar happen in Minnesota too? Like there's a single stand of old growth purely due to a mis-survey?

https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/lost-forty/

lol yep

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

If you want to scope some midwest old growth check out Porcupine Mountains State Park in the UP. About 30,000 acres of the park are old growth hardwood and it's gorgeous.

There's also the 20k acre Huron Mountain Club with 10k acres of old growth. It's a 150 year old private reserve established by logging barons who saw that the forest would all be gone and wanted to preserve the best for themselves. The club eventually had Aldo Leopold himself develop a forest management plan to maximize habitat quality. It's patrolled by off-duty cops and they absolutely prosecute trespassing to the fullest extent. The state really should eminent domain that bitch into a park, outside the Porkies it's the best topography and forest in the midwest.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Spime Wrangler posted:

If you want to scope some midwest old growth check out Porcupine Mountains State Park in the UP. About 30,000 acres of the park are old growth hardwood and it's gorgeous.

my god... imagine what that wood would be worth today

so much profit, just wasted like that

it's criminal, is what it is

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
seemed thread relevant

https://twitter.com/CACorrections/status/1501978001352757266?s=20&t=TBJlU9yLtb-KkhlckwHJZQ

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

im witnessin'

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

my god... imagine what that wood would be worth today

so much profit, just wasted like that

it's criminal, is what it is

for comparison the largest local landowner is a private equity fund that owns 200,000 acres of hardwood forest, including 52% of the landmass of a large nearby county. they harvest on a 20-40yr cycle.

the land was logged to the dirt, the stumps were pulled up, and surface rights were sold to the mining companies that held the mineral rights. the mining companies left and sold it to paper companies, then an emerging markets hedge fund, then private equity. the land has been changing hands now as a block for almost 100 years, and they're starting to parcel it out for development. michigan enshrines public access for tax-advantaged commercial forest land and local folks are starting to freak out.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mameluke posted:

People used to describe salmon in rivers as packed so tightly they looked like cobblestones, and that just sounds like fake poo poo to our ears today

“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy, The Road

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

oops all plastic

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Wait what happened?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

The Demilich posted:

Wait what happened?

he posted something about people not wrapping their dicks up. iirc the people in question may have been non white and he got in trouble for pretty much the same thing before

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

he posted something about people not wrapping their dicks up. iirc the people in question may have been non white and he got in trouble for pretty much the same thing before

antinatalism on the forums?! it’s more likely than you think!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Given the COVID education collapse and the resource wars that are just getting starting, my decision to not have kids is getting more vindicated by the day.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Given the COVID education collapse and the resource wars that are just getting starting, my decision to not have kids is getting more vindicated by the day.

If you had a kid later than around say 2010 (being generous here), you made a very big mistake and should have known better by that point

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
read half of Vonnegut's Galapagos today after someone in here recommended it and it is definitely appropriate for the thread

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

something i have learnt: when reading iucn profiles of endangered species, keep in mind that a huge amount of bureaucratic wrangling and paperwork and money goes into shifting species' official conservation status, so "near threatened" means "critically endangered" and by the time they're listed endangered they're basically extinct

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

it costs like a million dollars to officially move an animal from near-endangered to endangered, and you have to sue the government of wherever the animal is found in order to do it

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

so much money goes into deciding exactly what to call an animal, and exactly how endangered it is at a precise moment in time, and exactly when it becomes extinct in the wild. none of which helps the animal. it's deranged. the whole drat system is deranged

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
whoa we're all locked in a deathmarch to oblivion what? we're trapped in the belly of a machine that is bleeding to death??

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

if but one acre of prime grazing land is held in bondage to the tyranny of unproven biased science, then we all remain in bondage

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Dont worry, after the 2019-2020 fires that burned the entire east coast they created

quote:

The National Recovery and Resilience Agency
The National Recovery and Resilience Agency will provide support to local communities during the relief and recovery phases following major disasters.
It will also provide advice to Government on policies and programs to mitigate the impact of future major disaster events.

Appropriations $283,577,000
Departmental expenses $53,304,000
Average staffing level 186

Problem solved. Just recover from the disasters as they happen.
(The entire east coast is now flooded)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

munce posted:

Dont worry, after the 2019-2020 fires that burned the entire east coast they created

Problem solved. Just recover from the disasters as they happen.
(The entire east coast is now flooded)

and they don't want to spend any of the money to help, because then they'd be out of money

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Radical Plan to Make Earth's Deepest Hole Could Unleash Limitless Energy https://www.sciencealert.com/confidence-grows-in-mit-spin-off-aiming-to-make-the-deepest-hole-for-limitless-energy

are energy problems are over we just need to solve our magnetosphere problem once we cool the earths core too much

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

i'll be dead by then so who cares. somebody else's problem!

Limitless* Energy!

*subject to terms & conditions, laws 1-2 of thermodynamics

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

i'll be dead by then so who cares. somebody else's problem!

never failed yet

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

Radical Plan to Make Earth's Deepest Hole Could Unleash Limitless Energy https://www.sciencealert.com/confidence-grows-in-mit-spin-off-aiming-to-make-the-deepest-hole-for-limitless-energy

are energy problems are over we just need to solve our magnetosphere problem once we cool the earths core too much

shove some nuclear waste in there so the decay makes up for the energy we slurp. nuclear decay is what generated that heat in the first place iirc

and also maybe get the magma since i mean if you're there might as well go for borehole mines; they're like what, +6 mineral and +6 energy?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

skooma512 posted:

I'll take Things to Never Say IRL for $800, Alex

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

The Demilich posted:

Wait what happened?

he posted some grossly racist poo poo

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I regularly have to wander through maternity wards and a NICU at work :ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

if you're a coward