Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im preparing my taxes but i dont know where to declare mined BTC on there??? is there a form i can request?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

numberoneposter posted:

im preparing my taxes but i dont know where to declare mined BTC on there??? is there a form i can request?

Don't declare it

you're an outlaw Dottie, a rebel, one who goes against the grain

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

putin is a oval office posted:

Uh yes it does my dude. What on earth do YOU think it comes from? Every entry on a blockchain is cryptographically signed with a hash of the previous entry, it's literally the most basic and easy to understand part of the whole nonsense process.

look, nobody knows the term's origins for sure, our records don't go back that far... but it's clearly either derived from "cryptosporidium" (odd coincidence that the popular term "shitcoin" also has poo-related roots, isn't it?), or "cryptofascist" (as it's beloved by so many self-described "libertarians" on their journey towards becoming full-fledged nazis). get out of here with this "cryptography" nonsense, nobody knows wha tthe hell that is, especially crypto fans

drk
Jan 16, 2005
the spirit of their strawberry drying ancestors is alive and well

https://twitter.com/zackvoell/status/1501982656128589832

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

numberoneposter posted:

1099 NEC to declare mining income. 8949 with 1040 Schedule D if you sold any for cash to account for capital gains tax rules between when you mined and cashed out.

Yes it's a mess and a bunch of audit flags, gl.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/rightwingcope/status/1502026164117950464?s=21

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

ORANGE APE BAD

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Oh boy access to chats with “maga influencers” I’m so stoked on this nft oh boy…

It’s just exhausting by this point. Funs over

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Excuse me I signed up for exclusive chats with mega influencers and I would like to make a return

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

Excuse me I signed up for exclusive chats with mega influencers and I would like to make a return

https://mobile.twitter.com/kimdotcom/status/1366136300122767361

Afakasi
Jul 9, 2009

He offered to pay me in bitcoin back in 2012. Would have been about $30,000 worth when they were around $8 each. Calculated it at it's peak and it would have been worth around $250,000,000. I wish I would have accepted the offer. Only because I would have bought so much LSD with it (the only thing you could really buy back then) and would have a wallet worth cyber-millions but not knowing what the password was because my brain would be fried. Now I only have a partially fried brain that only has to recover passwords every couple of months.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1502056823247056914?s=21

Code is law until the exchange fucks up :lmao:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Afakasi posted:

He offered to pay me in bitcoin back in 2012. Would have been about $30,000 worth when they were around $8 each. Calculated it at it's peak and it would have been worth around $250,000,000. I wish I would have accepted the offer. Only because I would have bought so much LSD with it (the only thing you could really buy back then) and would have a wallet worth cyber-millions but not knowing what the password was because my brain would be fried. Now I only have a partially fried brain that only has to recover passwords every couple of months.

Could have bought a pizza with those bitcoins.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ffs

https://twitter.com/MakersMark/status/1500963558108151818

Friendship ended with Maker's Mark. Now Bulleit is my best friend.

Seriously tho I am disappointed. Booo Maker's Mark. No more on my bar cart, nor any other Beam Suntory brand.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Bank error in your favor collect -$150

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I love this desperate attempt people are doing now to give NFTs some kind of value and all it is is “ticket for event” or “a Skype invite” like these somehow weren’t possible before

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong

numberoneposter posted:

I wouldn't even bother unless it's a significant amount honestly (couple hundred+ bucks worth).

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

wheres the box to declare the money i made selling meth on the street???

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

numberoneposter posted:

There's actually a place to enter income from illegal sources on some form. You don't gently caress with the IRS

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

numberoneposter posted:

vortmax posted:

There's actually a place to enter income from illegal sources on some form. You don't gently caress with the IRS

There you go.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

numberoneposter posted:

IIRC that's still a 1099 NEC.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Gazpacho posted:

broke i am the one
all my apes are gone
lost them in a hack
help me get them back

7 quote post

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zedprime posted:

IIRC that's still a 1099 NEC.
1099-NEC is typically a form you get from people who paid you to do something, not something you would create for yourself. (Like receiving a W-2, but for non-employees.)

numberoneposter posted:

vortmax posted:

1040 Schedule 1 line 8z, baby. They've even got a blank there in case you feel like writing down the exact crimes you did. (Assuming that you do crimes as a hobby, not your primary trade or business - if that's the case then you're looking at a Schedule C.)

In all seriousness, that's the catchall line for income that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, so if you needed to report mining income, that line would probably work. Just getting it included in your taxable income is the important part, less so which line you put it on.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Afakasi posted:

Wow, I didn't know Kim Dotcom was still paying people to give him a blowjob back then?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

vortmax posted:

Al Capone learned that the hard way.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

vortmax posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G56VgsLfKY4

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ReidRansom posted:

ffs

https://twitter.com/MakersMark/status/1500963558108151818

Friendship ended with Maker's Mark. Now Bulleit is my best friend.

Same but Evan Williams and Buffalo Trace.

Afakasi
Jul 9, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Wow, I didn't know Kim Dotcom was still paying people to give him a blowjob back then?

I was just part of the recon team who had to brave his folds to just find his penis. We lost a lot of good people.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

priznat posted:

lol

https://twitter.com/meowmeowmeuw/status/1501396257163685890

Keep holding those NFTs I'm sure they'll be worth lots!

hmm

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

it's so perfect. the actual tipping point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

1099-NEC is typically a form you get from people who paid you to do something, not something you would create for yourself. (Like receiving a W-2, but for non-employees.)

1040 Schedule 1 line 8z, baby. They've even got a blank there in case you feel like writing down the exact crimes you did. (Assuming that you do crimes as a hobby, not your primary trade or business - if that's the case then you're looking at a Schedule C.)

In all seriousness, that's the catchall line for income that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, so if you needed to report mining income, that line would probably work. Just getting it included in your taxable income is the important part, less so which line you put it on.

But if the coins are technically just mined and not actually sold or transferred aren’t they technically worthless?

Like what value you you realistically assign to it? It’s 26k today or 27k or 23k or whatever.

Do you just assign whatever the value was on Dec 31st at midnight? Or do you say when it was procured you assign the value on that day to it?

Like if I went gold panning and had 1oz of gold from that I wouldn’t declare it as anything till I sold it because I could keep it for myself and it not have any value.

Right?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

i'm sorry but i can't get over that this is an over two hour youtube video

I barely stay interested for 10 minutes for most of them. How are people making and watching 2 hours??

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
It's regular income based on the value at time of creation and then capital gains income or loss for the difference between that point and the price at time of sale (in the US)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I barely stay interested for 10 minutes for most of them. How are people making and watching 2 hours??

try ADD meds

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Seth Pecksniff posted:

have you never watched a movie

real answer i just put it on my 3rd monitor while working, it's a v good video

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Looks like about 6.3 million.

I have some problems with the presentation, it's essentially a two hour lecture with the camera pointed on him, and I disagree on a few fiddly points but it really is a fantastic primer on NFTs and crypto in general. The kind of thing I could easily hand off to anyone saying they want to get into crypto to convince them it’s a bad idea.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

But if the coins are technically just mined and not actually sold or transferred aren’t they technically worthless?

Like what value you you realistically assign to it? It’s 26k today or 27k or 23k or whatever.

Do you just assign whatever the value was on Dec 31st at midnight? Or do you say when it was procured you assign the value on that day to it?

Like if I went gold panning and had 1oz of gold from that I wouldn’t declare it as anything till I sold it because I could keep it for myself and it not have any value.

Right?

novamute posted:

It's regular income based on the value at time of creation and then capital gains income or loss for the difference between that point and the price at time of sale (in the US)

Yep. If you mine a coin on November 27th, you're supposed to recognize ordinary income for that coin at whatever the fair market value was on November 27th, and pay income tax on that value. That value becomes your "basis" in that property, and then whenever you sell or trade it, the difference between that basis and whatever you sell it for becomes gain or loss, and you then pay taxes on any gain (or offset the loss against your other sources of income).

What happens if you mine a bunch of coins in December 2021, hold onto them through 12/31, and then the market craters and their value crashes to a tenth of what it was when you mined them? You're hosed, because you had a bunch of taxable income in 2021 that you now owe taxes on, but now you can't sell the coins for enough cash to cover your tax bill.

Some may think that sounds like a bad way to do things, but I assure you that it's actually fine, because cryptocurrency is a blight upon society and its participants deserve to be brutalized by the IRS

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

One thing to also amplify is that when Blotto says "trade", that includes anything outside of that specific coin. So trading from USD to BTC to Tether to shitcoin to Tether to BTC before cashing out to USD at 1% of the original value all count as taxable transactions each step of the way. You brought BTC, it climbed up 25%, you sell for Tether, buy shitcoin, that falls a billion points the next year, and buy a single tether so you can afford the bus ride home, congratulations, you've locked in your capital gains liability at the second step with none of the capital. A ton of people found out about this the hard way.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I do actually have some questions about mining this poo poo on a home PC.

The first is, how much does it actually get you? "Not enough to cover the resulting electric bills," I know that much, but I'm looking for an actual number.

The second is, "is there a threshold for this poo poo below which the IRS says to not worry about it because it's not worth tracking?" Like if I sell off some old Magic cards for twenty bucks, the IRS isn't going to give a poo poo, but if I unload a full set of Moxes then they're probably going to want to know and get their beak wet. Is there a lower limit beyond which they just shrug and say "don't sweat it, buddy" for Bitcoin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Here's the payout math on Foundry USA, the largest mining pool for Bitcoin. Seems as good a source as any.

https://faq.foundryusapool.com/article/10/what-is-foundry-usa-pools-payout-methodology

Not sure how realistic 1 Petahash a day is, I'm guessing that's like, RTX-3090 farm levels of hashrate.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 11, 2022