Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cephas posted:

Lol I cheesed the village fight with the power of two ladders. Zero casualties, no fires required. Normally I wouldn't resort to something like that. But when the game presents that battle as a legitimate moral dilemma I feel like you have the right to say "what about the third option: a cheeky map-specific strategy with the character you just gave me."

What did you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gyoru posted:

Hossabara doesn't have a great kit. There are characters with better realized kits once fully upgraded (fully promoted+weapon upgrades)

Be Brave doesn't heal herself despite needing to be in melee to heal cardinal adjacent characters. Cleave doesn't apply any kind of debuff unlike another character who can immobolize with their cleave. Pushback is ok, but Hoss needs the TP for other things like Be Brave, Catapult, or her Elite passive. Her Elite promotion gives her a passive that increases the amount of damage she does the more TP she has. Catapult is a 5 tile teleport that also buffs the warpee's pdef/mdef for 3 turns. She has a passive that heals her + her partner in any follow up attacks she participates in.

I mostly use her to get people on higher ground with Catapult and the follow up heal passive whenever I deploy her.

She's interesting, if a little weak at first but had a place in my army until the end. Honestly the thing she does best is hit real hard. She also becomes real tanky after her first promotion when she gets Desperate Defense. She hits as hard (if not harder) than anyone else in the army. Pure damage doesn't have quite the premium in this game but her ability to back up a healer and throw people all over the map is pretty amazing.

I gave her the regen accessory to counterbalance her Be Brave not healing her and she survives well on the front lines with no attention.

She was my army's wild card in my first runthrough. I will probably replace her with someone else to experiment on my next run but she's a super capable unit despite seeming like she's all over the place.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What did you do?

There are three unreachable rooves on the map. I used the two center ones. They each can hold 4 units. The unit limit is 10 for that stage so I deployed 9. Hughette went solo on the leftmost roof which is larger but harder to get enemies to congregate in front of.

Basically, you immediately use the blacksmith to make a ladder up to a roof and then beeline 4 units up there. Support units go in the back, damage casters like Frederica and the sage boy should be near the front so they have more range to target stuff. Once 4 units are up there, make a ladder on the next building since you can only make 1 at a time.

I recommend Benedict in the back. Then maybe Geela, then Julio, then Fredericka closest to the ladder. That lets you maximize each units efficacy. Take a similar approach for the second roof and put casters at the front.

The enemy cannot climb the ladder if you have a unit parked on top it. Archers can't hit the two smaller rooves. Only mages can target your party at all, but there are only like two enemy mages.

It takes a long time but it's basically infallible and leaves the village intact.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
jens can actually put down two ladders. but yeah not applicable here since its early game and that is something he gets way later on.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I appreciate that they gave Geela a speed buff to give her something to do if nobody needs healing. Speed buffs that boost turn frequency are always good in SRPGs.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

let me tell you about this child who can control time and space

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gyoru posted:

let me tell you about this child who can control time and space

You are gonna need to narrow that down lol.

This game has a shocking amount of child soldiers with insane reality warping powers

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I didn't have Jens for the village fight, so instead I just balled up on the stairs and let Erador and Serenoa get punched in the face. Serenoa had just gotten Counter Stance so Avlora slowly killed herself trying to murder him.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Oh hey, I also did the village fight without using the fire traps. Also hinging entirely on the blacksmith, except instead of using the ladders I used the knockback traps. I setup my entire party on the topmost ledge along the houses and put down some traps that would push enemies down to the middle tier where the market stalls were. Avlora died to being knocked down that ledge like 4 times in a row without ever getting to attack. Gravity never fails.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I am really enjoying the story. It feels like Witcher 2 where a lot of the decisions aren't necessarily good but the game really makes it so you couldn't imagine going any other direction with it. I can't remember chapter numbers which is frustrating for me because I can't really mouse over spoilers since I legit have no idea when that might be.

I feel like the green ! kinda move you into what decision to make. Like Tellisto (i think I spelled that wrong) they show him basically being an opportunist and a prick and I don't know how you could possibly agree with anything he says. I do kinda want to play through again - I'm not THAT far from the end it feels - but at the same time with some decisions I feel like the other option is mega evil and I don't know if I can bring myself to do that.
Also as others have said theres not really a lot of character advancement. I'd like to do new game+ to see the characters I assume I missed but otherwise the gameplay would be super similar because there's not MUCH choice when you're levelling. I feel like +1 defence or +1 luck are so hard for me to care about, I want more exciting abilities and branching classes I think, there. The promotions seemed exciting at first but they're definitely just sorta "there".

I've had to do a lot of fights more than once - defending (I've no idea when these are, post chapter 10?) the rosalia village and the level where you have to kill the Aesfrost General come to mind especially. God I hate maps that hem me in and I can't move properly, one of the spoiler ones I'm trapped at the start behind a big fountain and it's so loving irritating, easily my least favourite battle in the game. I tried the burning houses fight about ten times without burning any houses as well but just straight up couldn't do it. I got the blacksmith at least 5 chapters later though, unfortunately. Maybe that would have helped!
That said the mental battles all seem EXTREMELY easy in comparison. I never die in those. Hell I barely lose a character. It's just a total roll every time.

I've basically not used Benedict the whole game because I'm not good at buffing and his attacks are really weak. I feel like when it's my go I want to DO something and buffing doesn't count as that.
The Archmage kid is loving great and I like having his spells although it's very easy for him to die, it feels like the AI super targets him. The Shaman is very strong too and they DON'T seem to do that to her. Lightning is just amazing and when the enemy uses it I'm always kinda scared.
I've not touched Medina or Piccolino because item characters just scare me, items are expensive and because you REALLY need that healing stuff I just can't do it. Any characters that require forward planning and knowing what's happening for my next characters turn I just avoid - Lionel, the Blacksmith, a bunch of others. I did love the idea of horse healer lady but her not healing herself loving sucks honestly.

What I do feel is that I don't have enough melee characters. I've got Anna, Roland, Serenoa, Maxwell who I literally just got, Erador and MAYBE the accountant guy who is not too bad at melee but a bit squishy. All the recruitment events feel like they've been drowning me in casters. And casters are nice but I need a beefier front line.

UI wise I find I die a lot because I feel like the bar at the bottom isn't in the order I expect. I look down there, it shows me in big and the next person going is Roland. Cool that's fine. I do my turn, then a baddie goes and kills me because I wasn't expecting it. This happens loving LOADS and it's extremely frustrating for me. I don't understand how I'm reading it wrong, or if it moves (moving when I highlight someone maybe?) but gently caress me it's very annoying and I've lost a bunch of characters in a bunch of fights for it.

Taear fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 10, 2022

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Taear posted:

UI wise I find I die a lot because I feel like the bar at the bottom isn't in the order I expect. I look down there, it shows me in big and the next person going is Roland. Cool that's fine. I do my turn, then a baddie goes and kills me because I wasn't expecting it. This happens loving LOADS and it's extremely frustrating for me. I don't understand how I'm reading it wrong, or if it moves (moving when I highlight someone maybe?) but gently caress me it's very annoying and I've lost a bunch of characters in a bunch of fights for it.

The order bar absolutly reacts based on whom you're hovering over or attacking or something. Hitting X (or Y) on an empty square should just put a number on every character's turn order to make that less annoying though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Taear posted:

I've not touched Medina or Piccolino because item characters just scare me, items are expensive and you REALLY need that healing stuff I just can't do it.

The secret is piccolino is an item character second, and defensive/tactical use character first. Her decoy attacks on it's own, accepts heals, will make follow up attacks, and of course its main purpose: take up hits.

Also medina uses that healing stuff more effectively and gives people tp once you have her leveled.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 10, 2022

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

The secret is piccolino is an item character second, and defensive/tactical use character first. Her decoy attacks on it's own, accepts heals, will make follow up attacks, and of course its main purpose: take up hits.

Things like the decoy work a bit like the traps guy, I can't...make my mind work like that, I can't plan my moves out. I just wanna stab stuff

I really want the barrel robot that's in the picture inside the box

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Taear posted:

Things like the decoy work a bit like the traps guy, I can't...make my mind work like that, I can't plan my moves out. I just wanna stab stuff

I really want the barrel robot that's in the picture inside the box

You don't really need to think about where you put it, just plop it behind an enemy that it can make follow up attacks on or a position where you would have erador in.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

You don't really need to think about where you put it, just plop it behind an enemy that it can make follow up attacks on or a position where you would have erador in.

I do, because I want to be attacking. If it's not directly attacking (or potentially healing so I don't die) I'm not gonna do it because I can't weigh it up, I can't think ahead like that
It's why I don't like benedict

It's fine, it works, it just means I'm never using her

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Decoy is basically “summon an AI-controlled clone that has a passive taunt”. It’s a free extra unit you don’t have to micro-manage, which is stupid good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this is what is finally going to turn me into the joker

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I hope that with NG+ I can successfully make it so I have a really different takeup of characters so I can encourage myself to use different people.
I mean it's going to be hard to give up using Anna or Hughette say, but I'm still interested.

I do wonder if the people in the box picture (there are 60) are every character in the game

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Jnap7qQK8

Triangle strategy HD remaster looking sick

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Okay I protected Castle Wolfort without torching the town, the oil items worked really well. Idiot boss lady stood on a flaming panel so she could kill Serenoa and it cost her a ton of hp. Then it was a matter of picking off the remaining guys with Hughette. My biggest problem before was that I split my forces instead of keeping them all together. Keep them all in that corner and get the enemies to stand on the stairs, then torch them. Then they will go around the other way to reach you, so you can make a flame wall there, too. I got a shitload of spoils including a medal of bravery. And I feel like a genius lol game is good!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

No Mods No Masters posted:

THE DioFIELD CHRONICLE

Why is it that I like the name Project: Triangle Strategy but not The DioField Chronicle?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Okay I protected Castle Wolfort without torching the town, the oil items worked really well. Idiot boss lady stood on a flaming panel so she could kill Serenoa and it cost her a ton of hp. Then it was a matter of picking off the remaining guys with Hughette. My biggest problem before was that I split my forces instead of keeping them all together. Keep them all in that corner and get the enemies to stand on the stairs, then torch them. Then they will go around the other way to reach you, so you can make a flame wall there, too. I got a shitload of spoils including a medal of bravery. And I feel like a genius lol game is good!

I think Medals can only be in Exquisite Spoils so you always get them

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hey

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1501686018755465216?t=sP2QBHiJkfteD1bG1hFjhw&s=19

Cool!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Ha, if one of your units gets silenced they don't play their soundbites. That's adorable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

Why is it that I like the name Project: Triangle Strategy but not The DioField Chronicle?

Project: Triangle Strategy is a boring title, but all of the parts are actual words, put together in a coherant order. It's calling your auto parts store "Bill's Auto Parts". Not pretty, but it gets the job done.

The DioField chronicles, by contrast, just raises the question of what a DioField is.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

diofield deez chrons

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gyoru posted:

diofield deez chrons

That just raises further questions!

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

chiasaur11 posted:

Project: Triangle Strategy is a boring title, but all of the parts are actual words, put together in a coherant order. It's calling your auto parts store "Bill's Auto Parts". Not pretty, but it gets the job done.

The DioField chronicles, by contrast, just raises the question of what a DioField is.

worst of all, it looks like a typo of an actual word and for whatever reason my brain just hates those types of names

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

chiasaur11 posted:

DioField means decent voice acting apparently.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ok, just finished the ending for the fredricka path.

Glad it seems the game is committing to bummer endings. I cried a bit, but I cry at literally everything lol.

Benedict becoming gustadolph's merciless right hand is real good imo

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Does anyone know of a source of silver in the game? One of my characters can't upgrade their weapon to level 2 and the merchants don't seem to be getting any new stock. I'm in chapter 18.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Natural 20 posted:

Does anyone know of a source of silver in the game? One of my characters can't upgrade their weapon to level 2 and the merchants don't seem to be getting any new stock. I'm in chapter 18.

Hmm. I think the Sundry Merchant should have some more, he has a lot of everything at that point. If not you may have to wait one more chapter.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Now that I finished a route, yeah this is a great game. While I would still describe it as "political intrigue 101" I think the story is a lot of fun and goes interesting places.

The weakness is def on the character side. They feel too subdued, and while they may have interesting stuff going on like Geela revealing she only started to care about frederica during the course of the war these bits are hard to attached yourself too because everyone feels emotionally flat. One of the few characters who doesn't, dragan, ofc gets killed off lmao

What I really like about this in regards to story is the battles. They find a good variety of reasons why it's not just war battle #17 and there are some great set pieces that just feel really dynamic.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Do you not get the scout screen in new game plus at the sundry until the point you start unlocking optional characters like last time?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
You get it after completing ch 4

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Gotta say, the timing of unlocking character stories at Chapter 5 seems weird considering the poo poo going down then.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I gotta say, whoever set up (ch. 14 spoilers) the Avlora fight at the fountain is genius and I cackled wildly when I realized what they wanted me to do. Doubly so when I noticed the recommended characters were Narve, Ezana, and Piccoletta. They knew exactly what they were doing :allears:

For added fun I brought Jens to make sure that even if someone escaped Piccoletta's poo poo Pit, they got punted right back in.

EDIT: Serenoa's convictions have been strengthened.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Novasol posted:

I gotta say, whoever set up (ch. 14 spoilers) the Avlora fight at the fountain is genius and I cackled wildly when I realized what they wanted me to do. Doubly so when I noticed the recommended characters were Narve, Ezana, and Piccoletta. They knew exactly what they were doing :allears:

For added fun I brought Jens to make sure that even if someone escaped Piccoletta's poo poo Pit, they got punted right back in.

EDIT: Serenoa's convictions have been strengthened.

Feel free to also toss Thunderstones using anyone with hands as well. The gridlock is only rivaled by the penultimate stage of Frederica's path, IMO.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Gotta say, the timing of unlocking character stories at Chapter 5 seems weird considering the poo poo going down then.

Yea it is weird, like someone came to join me all "I'm escaping the war" but it literally just began minutes ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Levantine posted:

Feel free to also toss Thunderstones using anyone with hands as well. The gridlock is only rivaled by the penultimate stage of Frederica's path, IMO.

Oh, I did. It was glorious.

One of the healers did an absolutely galaxy brain play though, stopping one tile in front of the spring trap setup, allowing the boss to brace against him and not get knocked back into the mess. A few zaps later, the healer died for his hubris and Roland shoved the boss right back into the deep end.