Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

As a native of the Pacific Northwest I'm honestly just kind of tired of salmon. I never liked it as much as trout, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

capncthulhu
Oct 4, 2021
I went to Japan many years ago and had horse sashimi and it was loving great! I would have tried whale but they were out.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

I really hate fish in general, I like shrimp, pastries, clams, oysters, crab and given enough malt vinegar, deep fried cod(fish sticks); but something about actual fish turns me off. Mostly the smell, I think. My dad really likes to grill salmon though, so whenever he makes it I try to choke it down. The flavor is ok, I guess, but I have to brush my teeth and gargle with some store brand listerine or I'll be randomly retching all night like a cat that's smelling broccoli.

I bet if I did that thing where you force yourself to experience something you find unpleasant every day for 30 days I could 'fix' it, but I don't feel like I'm missing out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sekhmnet posted:

I bet if I did that thing where you force yourself to experience something you find unpleasant every day for 30 days I could 'fix' it, but I don't feel like I'm missing out.

Back in my massive coffee addiction days I did that with tea, I honestly gave it my best shot. It didn't work, tea still loving sucks.

So based on an anecdotal sample size of one, that theory is BS

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

That’ll be $23.99 please.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Cartoon Man posted:

someone call the police. burger crimes unit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boar guy posted:

isn't that just salmon

I mean... a little bit but smoked salmon is good, but then smoked fish generally is very good so I dunno if that's a point in its favour.

Sekhmnet posted:

I really hate fish in general, I like shrimp, pastries, clams, oysters, crab and given enough malt vinegar, deep fried cod(fish sticks); but something about actual fish turns me off. Mostly the smell, I think. My dad really likes to grill salmon though, so whenever he makes it I try to choke it down. The flavor is ok, I guess, but I have to brush my teeth and gargle with some store brand listerine or I'll be randomly retching all night like a cat that's smelling broccoli.

I recommend smoked fish, it has a very pleasant mix of flavours that is pretty distinct from unsmoked.

I dunno if you can get anything like kippers in the US (but not actually kippers because the bones make them very unpleasant to eat) but that's good stuff, goes great if you fry it up in some butter and then throw in a mess of steamed veg to brown up at the end.

Smoked mussels in a tin will give you the general gist of the flavour if you like shellfish. Really nice way to eat fish and gives you a really nice savoury flavour that's hard to find elsewhere.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 02:50 on Mar 11, 2022

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

boar guy posted:

isn't that just salmon

As an Alaskan who has had wild Alaskan salmon literally an hour after it's been caught, you're absolutely correct.

It can be made palatable with the right seasoning and sauces, but I'll gladly leave the fish itself to the bears and eagles.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Cartoon Man posted:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My mother eats poached salmon fillets and I cannot understand why, literally any fish tastes nicer with literally any other preparation.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
My grandfather was very fond of sole filets cooked in the microwave with mayonnaise.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

angerbeet posted:

My grandfather was very fond of sole filets cooked in the microwave with mayonnaise.

Mayo hides many sins. Not that though, ugh.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Mayo hides many sins. Not that though, ugh.

I want to be clear that the mayonnaise is also microwaved

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Sekhmnet posted:

I can eat like five things right now due to broken stomach, and one of those things is bananas. Ordinarily I would never eat a banana, like I would go years if not decades at a time without eating them, but having one every day now, and I’m starting to appreciate them :shrug:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SlothfulCobra posted:

Russians preparing to live in a world without McDonalds.

Good news*!

Putin may re-open McDonald's in Russia by lifting trademark restrictions

*Maybe.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

angerbeet posted:

I want to be clear that the mayonnaise is also microwaved

I had been afraid of that, but chose to parse the sentence as there still being good in your grandfather's soul.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
gently caress you fish heretics, I'm making Matjes in cream sauce with potato wedges to spite you all.

Also, I want a Fischbrötchen right the gently caress now.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Antigravitas posted:

gently caress you fish heretics, I'm making Matjes in cream sauce with potato wedges to spite you all.

Also, I want a Fischbrötchen right the gently caress now.

It's your funeral.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

I mean, even if they did, everything that McDonald's serves is produced at a factory somewhere and then shipped to them. It's not like anything is made in-house from raw materials, so... yeah, they'd get some premises that are only fitted for reheating pre-made McDonald's food with some seating, but that's it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uruXZadiAo0

when i was like 7 i watched this episode and tried it and now do it almost every time i buy a bunch of bananas

I think I'm having a panic attack.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, even if they did, everything that McDonald's serves is produced at a factory somewhere and then shipped to them. It's not like anything is made in-house from raw materials, so... yeah, they'd get some premises that are only fitted for reheating pre-made McDonald's food with some seating, but that's it.

Wait, do you think they get microwavable whole sandwiches trucked in or something? :psyduck:

About the only thing missing from a Macca's kitchen compared to an independent burger joint is a knife and cutting board for onions/tomato/lettuce. At the absolute worst, if no one else in the entire country did preformed patties/precut potatoes/sliced drat cheese, you'd be looking at $1/$100/$300.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve actually worked with a few McDonald’s regional franchises vis-à-vis my job, Russia included.

Now, whilst I can’t get into specifics, most countries try to keep it as “local” as possible, Russia being one of the better countries in achieving that, from what I’ve seen. It’s also a BIG thing for most McDonald’s to strive for and a huge selling point, to keep it as local as possible (well, within a countrywide chain, that is).

It’s a bummer hear all this news as they’ve always been real sweet to work with.

(No I don’t work for McDonald’s)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This was posted in one of the Russia threads and it's pretty interesting looking back, also as an insight into how self-sufficient that Moscow McDonald's is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckbfS99N6jY

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

Mandoric posted:

Wait, do you think they get microwavable whole sandwiches trucked in or something? :psyduck:

About the only thing missing from a Macca's kitchen compared to an independent burger joint is a knife and cutting board for onions/tomato/lettuce. At the absolute worst, if no one else in the entire country did preformed patties/precut potatoes/sliced drat cheese, you'd be looking at $1/$100/$300.

McDonald's doesn't make all their food at some McDonald's factory. Its all outsourced to local producers and manufacturers. Its all pre-made and shipped from whichever local businesses won the contacts.

McDonalds supplies the branding, building and fit-out.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

This was posted in one of the Russia threads and it's pretty interesting looking back, also as an insight into how self-sufficient that Moscow McDonald's is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckbfS99N6jY

i'm the guy who stands there in the factory and measures the length of each individual french fry

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I don't know everything going on, but I would devour all of it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Was the middle one made in a barbershop?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Various hot smoked salmons looks like

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's probably all insanely tasty.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The middle one doesn't looked cooked, and has enough dill to pickle a small village.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's Grave Salmon.

Basically you bury some salmon in dill and salt and stuff for a while until it preserves itself

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's Grave Salmon.

Basically you bury some salmon in dill and salt and stuff for a while until it preserves itself

Thanks, I hate it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's Grave Salmon.

Oh, thought people were eating directly from the buffet plates theyre on.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I'm not too proud, but I lol'd

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

"Bee Skullz" is pretty loving funny, as are Hur and Fur.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I’d embarrass myself near this.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

Canned salmon is usually next to the canned tuna, and when you're broke, it tastes better IMHO

It's definitely good for variety. When I was in college I just ate a whole can of sockeye with some veggies on the side for dinner more than once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Also don't eat whale meat, please and thanks