Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

lil poopendorfer posted:

You can be a fucker and report that leaf blower lady, most places don't let loud noises before 7-8am

my favorite part about being an arborist was firing up the woodchipper in a residential suburb at 7:45am. the slight thud of the clutch gets their attention - revving it up to proper RPM owns their life. time to waddle out to your mercedes and get to "work" motherfuckers!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

God Hole posted:

football and soccer would be way more fun to watch if they took place in arenas peppered with trees and had varied terrain

the Roman’s perfected the arena spectacle and everything else has been a hollow impersonation

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Loucks posted:

I’m in the Midwest and let a big chunk of the space out behind my place fill up with native grasses. I guess you might need a machete to get through there now, but I’ve got foxes and other creatures living back by the stream and it’s way better than a vast expanse of manicured lawn. I’ve even got hawks that hang around and feast on the various rabbits and things that live in there. We need more native plants and less grotesque hyperpoisoned monoculture.

My neighbor still fertilizes and poisons his manicured lawn and rides around on a mower every week with his manboobs flapping in the breeze though, so it’s not like any battle is won.

you're not living until you plant giant warm season grasses

don't mess around with cool season grasses or sedges that only get a few inches tall. Get yourself the monstrosities that grow six feet in two months and then sit around hoping to catch on fire the rest of the year.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

if you move into an HOA that requires a lawn you deserve nothing but disdain. gently caress you OP.
i didn't, it's called zoning

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Maybe we could invest in some kind of large public space that would have grass for activities. Some kind of large communal green space designed for recreation. But that’s impossible we just have private lawns where we put up six foot fences to pretend our neighbors don’t exist and continue to grow in fear of even seeing another human being

tbf my fence is so my dog doesn't disappear to chase down a squirrel for a mile when i let her outside.

ignoring the neighbors is just a bonus

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
lawns are dumb

just grow moss

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
poison mushroom garden

Beyond ReTarTed.
Dec 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a good lawn is one that is completely covered in ice

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I thought the title said ‘Iowans’ and I was like ‘right there with you, buddy!’

But yeah, I hate lawns too

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I gotta stay focused on hating cars, but just wanted to pop in and say you people are doing gods work. Keep hatin.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
kill lawns

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

lawns are dumb

just grow moss

Japan knows whats up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up5jKSreGrA

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Syncopation posted:

single family housing is demonic

can I live with your family if they are as interested in demonology as you they sound rad as hell

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Even grass, OP

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rynn posted:

I have 5 acres and about half is lawn. It takes like 2 1/2 hours to mow. If I do it after work that’s pretty much my whole day after dinner since I get up early.

Do not, my friends, become addicted to lawn.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

WampaLord posted:

Do not, my friends, become addicted to lawn.

imagine having this much land and NOT doing something cool with it, in fact doing the most not cool thing you possibly can

I could feed my entire family with a cool 4 acres and some hoophouses

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
for 4 acres of food production you'll probably need another 3-15 people to help work it, depending on what you're growing

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

I want to terrace my hills and grow grapes, but I heard from contacts that it can take ages to dig a terrace yourself.

Is this true? Does anyone have terracing experience?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
im probably going to be moving from my stupidly big house with a big front and backyard to a condo complex with a big shared green space per dozens of units.

this is the worst thing that's ever happened to anyone

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

for 4 acres of food production you'll probably need another 3-15 people to help work it, depending on what you're growing

my entire

family

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

real lack of nice lawn pics here. pls share some epic lawns

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Touch grass? Sorry, I'd rather touch the soil of a vegetable garden. :smug:

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

toggle posted:

real lack of nice lawn pics here. pls share some epic lawns

our lawn is currently an open battlefield between a cat we adopted and wild rabbits, and a cold snap has prevented reseeding thus far :negative:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Really need to redo my front lawn, completely overgrown. Including the largest rosemary bush I’ve ever laid eyes on. Fucker’s 8’ in diameter easily now

Gonna plant a row of apple trees this spring though and espalier them

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/Alexander_Lees/status/1508100789964877828?s=20&t=-gLbPFFUmkf-xHNJCEisJQ

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:kiss:

gently caress lawns :fuckoff:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Grass is loving boring. I’m in New England and when I see a house whose “lawn” is just natural flora and trees it looks so much better in every seasons. The Fall with the changing leafs is amazing, winter with snow on the branches is beautiful, seeing all the buds appear on the trees and plants in Spring is great, and summer hearing the breeze going through the leafs and the natural shade keeping your house cool is wonderful while the low laying plants letting fireflies and crickets play at night is soothing. A lawn of grass does loving nothing. gently caress lawns.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/1528755043561656321?s=20&t=B5ALL4Yx0lQuLR1iz3Bp9Q

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

all i get are dandelions and some type of thistle weed besides my lawn. not really sold on these plants.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

synapse posted:

all i get are dandelions and some type of thistle weed besides my lawn. not really sold on these plants.

Cmon at least throw down some clover seed

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Mayor Dave posted:

Cmon at least throw down some clover seed

Seconding this. Clover is a good ground cover that improves your soil through nitrogen fixing and there's a variety to choose from.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sitting here, trying to enjoy a nice quiet Saturday, surrounded by a chorus of lawnmowers and leafblowers starting and stopping throughout the day

can't wait to move to the desert, i'll happily die without water if I can die quietly

ETA: I found a dude on twitter who uses a scythe to cut his lawn and I'm fine with that because it's quiet. lawns can remain if the lawnowners are willing to use scythes. anyone who wants to use a powered mower loses their lawn.

WampaLord has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Jul 16, 2022

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Middle of summer and all these people have AC units blasting because anything not lawn grass has been destroyed so there’s absolutely not a shred of shade anywhere so being outside is miserable. Again gently caress lawns

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
touch native plants lol

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

touch sand

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WampaLord posted:

touch sand

*saharas over u*

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/climate/status/1545521495631331333?s=20&t=2bHrsuR1NPkKPTc389sV6g

no

No

NO

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

WampaLord posted:

sitting here, trying to enjoy a nice quiet Saturday, surrounded by a chorus of lawnmowers and leafblowers starting and stopping throughout the day

:emptyquote:

i think a lot of people would be happier if they could relinquish their perfect green squares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cloks posted:

:emptyquote:

i think a lot of people would be happier if they could relinquish their perfect green squares

Most of them could, yes there exist some dumbass HoA that requires grass (everyone in that HOA should be guillotined and the area depopulated and returned to nature), but most places you are perfectly free to do Xenoscaping, or create a garden, or whatever.