Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Anybody making a big deal about their top secret chicken casserole recipe getting out is a giant rear end in a top hat, end of story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

How else are you supposed to let folks know your thoughts on the events of September 11, 2001

If it weren't for that unhinged line no one would have paid attention to this basic recipe.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 11, 2022

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Recipes as lists of ingredients and basic instructions are also not even copyrightable. If you want to copyright a recipe in your cookbook you basically only have copyright of the artful prose parts that talk about how it tastes or smells, or anecdotes and stories related to the recipe.

“Mix ingredients A, B Slowly mix in ingredient C and D, bake in a casserole dish at 450° for an hour” is not copyrightable.

Not to mention most professional chefs are completely transparent about their ingredients and methods anyway. Unless it's the specific proportion of spices in a complex stew or sauce or something, what do they think they're hiding exactly?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Not to mention most professional chefs are completely transparent about their ingredients and methods anyway. Unless it's the specific proportion of spices in a complex stew or sauce or something, what do they think they're hiding exactly?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And maybe using capitalism and how it treats creative works as your benchmark for traditional knowledge transmission is a bad idea. Just a thought.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

You've got it backwards - I'm saying that even people who could potentially profit the most from proprietary cooking knowledge and are legitimate innovators don't keep it a secret, not that profit for a recipe is justification for keeping it a secret.

The real point is that there are no secrets in cooking almost anything, maybe outside of some industrial tips and tricks or again, specific proportions in a complex blend that's hard to backwards engineer. There is no magical ingredient in that casserole that can't be recognized, and her special method of browning the chicken before putting it in or putting a bit of cumin in the onions or whatever is not the state secret she imagines it is.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Bear in mind that the OP in that story didn't copy down the recipe furtively while her "friend's" back was turned. She just remembered what went into it after the fact and approximated the rest. And, apparently, within a few iterations had something close enough that she was happy with it. At that point that's the OP's recipe that was inspired by the one she helped make.

For content, the Non Gamer Girlfriend already posted an update.

AITA for telling my boyfriend something he found exciting was stupid?

quote:

UPDATE:

Thank you everyone who commented on my old post. I read as many of the comments as I could and took each into consideration. Thanks for helping me realize that what I did to Zach was majorly wrong.

I know this update is early but honestly everything that needed to happen, happened already. After realizing what an rear end in a top hat I was I wanted to try and fix things asap.

So I thought of things I could physically give to Zach along with a long apology to show how sorry I was.

Since I love painting, I spent last night making him one on a canvas. It was a pretty creative spin-off to the world that he unlocked in the game. I added a cool background to it and changed up a few things to make it look really cool. After that, I also wrote a mini love note.

This morning I went to buy something as well. He had been planning to buy this new video game in the future so I bought it for him.

On my way home I also bought a bouquet of flowers (lavenders since purple is his fav color) for him.

When I got home, I wrapped the game and canvas and put it in a bag. Then I called Zach and asked if I could come over for a bit. Zach has been quieter with me since the incident but he agreed anyway.

I drove over there with my gifts. Before giving the gifts, I wanted to apologize.

I told him how horrible it was of me to say what I said that day and that if I could take it back I would. I also told him how much I love seeing him happy and that I didn't know what came over me. I said that if he ever had anything he wanted to talk to me about with gaming I'd be happy to listen. I did say that since I'm not a gamer, I won't understand but to please tell me anything anyway. I also apologized for thinking he was guilting me by being sad (so stupid of me!!)

I was apologizing and rambling for a good ten-ish minutes and by the end we were tearing up.

Then I gave him my gifts. He loved the flowers, painting and note and was very excited about the game. He told me "thank you" and said he loved everything which made me smile and cry a little since I still felt bad.

Zach told me he was very relieved to hear everything I just said since he'd been thinking about it. We talked more about how everything made him feel in the moment and I apologized more and tried to reassure him. He smiled and told me it was ok.

I told him I'd understand if he wants to break up over this but he said he doesn't want to. He just said to try and be nicer about it next time which ofc I will. We made a few small compromises to make sure none of that happened again.

We hugged and kissed and I apologized more. I suggested playing the new game together and he happily agreed.

Everyone probably wanted him to leave me but I'm happy to say he didn't :) he's giving me another chance and I'll be sure not to blow it

Thanks again.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You've got it backwards - I'm saying that even people who could potentially profit the most from proprietary cooking knowledge and are legitimate innovators don't keep it a secret, not that profit for a recipe is justification for keeping it a secret.

The real point is that there are no secrets in cooking almost anything, maybe outside of some industrial tips and tricks or again, specific proportions in a complex blend that's hard to backwards engineer. There is no magical ingredient in that casserole that can't be recognized, and her special method of browning the chicken before putting it in or putting a bit of cumin in the onions or whatever is not the state secret she imagines it is.

That's literally the problem with this prevalent attitude, though: keeping things private isn't only motivated by capitalist legitimacy for it being profitable, and shouldn't.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I mean, yeah. You taste stuff and you know how to make it, it's not hard to be a good cook.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's literally the problem with this prevalent attitude, though: keeping things private isn't only motivated by capitalist legitimacy for it being profitable, and shouldn't.

Outside of financial gain, what reason is there to keep intellectual property private assuming all due credit is provided by anyone who appropriates it (which the friend did up front)? We're all better off when knowledge is shared, capitalism and greed were the reason legal restrictions were put around intellectual property in the first place.

e: Ignoring extreme stuff like state secrets or military technology during a war.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So i genuinely want to understand this. A chef comes up with an amazing recipe and wants to share that joy with other people. This is thus capitalism, and should be scorned?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I'm the hamburgular but for chicken casserole recipes

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

sephiRoth IRA posted:

So i genuinely want to understand this. A chef comes up with an amazing recipe and wants to share that joy with other people. This is thus capitalism, and should be scorned?

Is this horseshoe theory? I think they're arguing that capitalism makes you want to give away your recipe instead of greedily holding onto it for sentimental reasons?

Completely ignoring that food=love in tons of cultures and sharing a recipe is fun as hell because your friend might make an improvement.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Outside of financial gain, what reason is there to keep intellectual property private assuming all due credit is provided by anyone who appropriates it (which the friend did up front)? We're all better off when knowledge is shared, capitalism and greed were the reason legal restrictions were put around intellectual property in the first place.

e: Ignoring extreme stuff like state secrets or military technology during a war.

It's not "intellectual property", it's traditional knowledge. It's important to people, to cultures, to sometimes keep that private. Sometimes it's to avoid scenarios like the following:

sephiRoth IRA posted:

where instead of "come up" is "I saw this at someone's private or communal kitchen and am now making money out of it because I've appropriated it to my brand".

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

What if the world was made of pudding that a chef invented?

AITA for full-on raging at my parents after they spent £1,300 of my money for my brother's gaming PC set?
Not the A-hole

quote:

EDIT: As stated in the many comments, I've now notified my bank about my financial situation and reported to them that my money has been stolen. I'm now awaiting a reply. As for the PC, I've searched for the receipt everywhere but I still cannot find it. I'll keep searching though :D. Thank you for your positive messages.

For a bit of context, around a year and a half ago, when I was 15, I came up with a plan to pay for my own university fees once I finish school. It's a little expensive (between the 4 to 5 figure range and my family isn't the richest one so yh), so I wished to save my parents the trouble of paying and do everything myself. I planned to save up enough money until I can invest in some cheap land back in my hometown and hopefully earn lots. I told my parents this and they seemed pretty OK (at least to me) with my plan. So I began working part-time and worked my socks off.

So in those 1 and a half years, I saved up around 30,000 lira (which is like £3000 - could have been a lot more but covid) without spending a single penny. Now here's where the problem began. My younger brother had his 13th birthday yesterday and he always wanted to have his own gaming PC set. My parents always told him that they couldn't afford it, which makes him sad.

One day, I forgot to bring my wallet with me when I was going to school, which has my bank card in it. When I came back, I saw a new gaming PC set right in the middle of the living room (half unboxed) and my brother crying and jumping around in ecstasy. I was happy for him (since I thought they actually managed to buy it themselves) until I found out shortly after that almost half my saved up money was gone. (Yes, we all know each other's bank card passwords).

I was fuming and lost my poo poo at my parents, demanding "why the gently caress did you spend the money I worked hard for?" My parents apologised, but noted that they just couldn't tell their son that they couldn't afford his dream set when there was money available.

I screamed at them and said that they've just stole £1400 right under my nose without even considering asking me and that they both owe me big time. My mum snapped back at me, saying that I'm still a child belonging to them and that money should be the last thing on my mind at the moment.

It was a back and forth argument and I admit, I used some colourful language there, before my mum went on a power-trip and yelled at me to remember who I'm talking back to. I just stomped off in anger.

Some of you redditors may think that £1,300 isn't a lot in the real world, but I've worked so hard after school and even on weekends to get this much, and for it to be half-gone in an instant is a heartbreak for me. But...I think I regret some of the things I've said to them, especially when all they were trying to do was to make my brother happy.

AITA?

Video games are a curse upon this earth, as is money and capitalism.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Outside of financial gain, what reason is there to keep intellectual property private assuming all due credit is provided by anyone who appropriates it (which the friend did up front)?

A family recipe isn't intellectual property. Thinking about it like it's intellectual property is the wrong framework. It's not property at all. That doesn't mean there's no value to keeping it as a family secret.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Well the first step to understanding anything at all is that he very obviously doesn't have any problem with a chef wanting to share their recipe. The question is about when the chef doesn't want to share it, but the sharing happens without consent.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, in fact a lot of cultures take recipes very seriously. Thinking that this, like other traditional knowledge, is worthless and that there's no legitimate concern with you just picking it up from someone without permission and spreading it around is way more in line with the white American immersion in cultureless, traditionless consumer capitalism.

The main thing all of you are missing is consent. She didn't give OP consent to take her recipe. OP didn't ask.

What are the "legitimate concerns" about spreading recipes around? Edit: i guess this was answered

Biplane fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 11, 2022

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Goons are so loving weird, just let the lady make her casserole, it's not like there's any value in a chicken casserole. You're treating this like it's some cultural touchstone for ohioans, Jesus.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Goons are so loving weird, just let the lady make her casserole, it's not like there's any value in a chicken casserole. You're treating this like it's some cultural touchstone for ohioans, Jesus.

This preposterous, ohio has no culture

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Barudak posted:

This preposterous, ohio has no culture

:thejoke:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Goons being wrong about drat near everything is the only reason I keep coming back to this thread.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

But what if the scenario described was actually a different scenario? Boy, the egg on your face

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

It's a family touchstone for OP's former friend, and it's valuable to her.

This is how that went down, according to OP (bolding mine):

quote:

One time when I was helping, Sam decided to make her family's secret recipe. It's a chicken casserole. She said that she only made it once or twice a year, always around the holidays, because it was special.

I thought it was good and wanted to try making it myself. Because I was helping Sam out with the side dishes when she made it and because I have a really good memory, it was pretty easy for me to reconstruct the recipe. I made it for myself a few times, and after tweaking it a bit, I was satisfied that I'd gotten it right.

Now, instead of this recipe being associated with this woman's relationship to her family, and the two times a year it was traditionally made, it's just something she's going to run into everywhere OP decides to make it. That's the value that it had, and is now lost, because OP couldn't respect her enough to ask if it was okay to take her recipe (which she knew was secret at the time!).

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's a family touchstone for OP's former friend, and it's valuable to her.

This is how that went down, according to OP (bolding mine):

Now, instead of this recipe being associated with this woman's relationship to her family, and the two times a year it was traditionally made, it's just something she's going to run into everywhere OP decides to make it. That's the value that it had, and is now lost, because OP couldn't respect her enough to ask if it was okay to take her recipe (which she knew was secret at the time!).

It's noodles and chicken and a handful of peas in a casserole dish, mixed with cream of mushroom soup. Throw some crushed Ritz crackers on top if you're feeling bougie.

This lady isn't going to gently caress you, you know.

I will protect my family mayonnaise recipe to the bitter end.

*it's oil and egg and salt*

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

It's noodles and chicken and a handful of peas in a casserole dish, mixed with cream of mushroom soup. Throw some crushed Ritz crackers on top of you're feeling bougie.

This lady isn't going to gently caress you, you know.

Literally unable to think non-transactionally. Just absolute capitalismbrain.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the value of a recipe is exactly the same whether or not someone else knows it

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Literally unable to think non-transactionally. Just absolute capitalismbrain.

My dude, you're the one arguing that it's morally correct to protect a recipe from the back of a can of soup like it's a priceless family heirloom.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SirSamVimes posted:

I explained exactly what value was lost because of OP's actions. It's not my fault that you and several other users here are incapable of measuring value outside of exchange and possibly use value.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for giving my brother inlaw an ultimatum to leave my house after he refused to stop peeing in water bottles?

quote:

My brother in law "Neil" (29) lost his dog to cancer 8 months ago, he got into depression, neglected his job which caused him to lose his rental apartment. he moved in with and my husband 6 months ago.

Neil doesn't work, he doesn't do anything, he uses stuff of mine, takes money from me and say he'd pay me for it but never does. My husband says he's struggling and needs time to heal.

My husband was on a business for an entire week, Since he is the one responsible for taking the trash out, I started doing it while he was away. I started taking trash out every night but that’s when I started finding a few water bottles filled with a clear yellow liquid. Pee, Pee bottles. I was confused but it was obvious those came from the house and I figured they belonged to Neil. I went to have a talk but he denied, denied, denied. I let it go thinking it was a one time thing, but I started seeing more and more of those bottle I felt sick in my stomach. He kept denying til I walked in his room and found a bunch of empty and full bottle that contained piss. I was livid. I confronted him and he admitted that he stays up at night in bed talking to girls on dating apps and feels to tired to get up and use the bathroom so he uses the empty water bottles to pee. He said I shouldn't be mad cause he at least throws them in the trash later.

I had a fight with him cause he kept doing it, then waited til my husband came home and gave his brother an ultimatuim. I told him he has a week to leave. My husband said that first of all, his brother is obviously dealing with some stuff and can not be blamed, but I pointed out that he's fine enough to be on dating apps, he explained that we should encourage him to find a woman so he could move out and he becomes her problem. he then reminded me of Neil's tremondous loss and his intense grief that caused him his livelihood and apartment. I refused and put my foot down, now I'm being called heartless and unsymapthetic for wanting to kick his brother out when he's struggling.

My husband has stopped talking to me til I agree to leave his brother alone and drop my ultimatum

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I explained exactly what value was lost because of OP's actions. It's not my fault that you and several other users here are incapable of measuring value outside of exchange and possibly use value.

So what you're saying is the value here is defined by who doesn't have it. Someone else figuring it out/recreating it diminishes its emotional value to the person who made it.

This is truly ridiculous. No.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Kenshin posted:

So what you're saying is the value here is defined by who doesn't have it. Someone else figuring it out/recreating it diminishes its emotional value to the person who made it.

He's arguing the exact opposite of what he thinks he is. It's the most amazing thing I've seen in these forums b/c I don't think it's a gimmick!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mx. posted:

AITA for giving my brother inlaw an ultimatum to leave my house after he refused to stop peeing in water bottles?

Hey guess what woman niel is gonna be a problem for? Your husbands next girlfriend cause its mighty divorcin power rangers time

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Mx. posted:

Strange that OP is ok with allowing Neil to continue cumming in shirts, though.

Barudak posted:

Hey guess what woman niel is gonna be a problem for? Your husbands next girlfriend cause its mighty divorcin power rangers time

Yeah, OP's first mistake is allowing him to stay there at all. Her second is giving him a deadline at all versus just throwing him out followed by her piss loving husband.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kenshin posted:

Secrets are by definition more valuable the fewer people know them. You're so capitalismbrained you're forgetting English.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Secrets are by definition more valuable the fewer people know them. You're so capitalismbrained you're forgetting English.
You attribute things to capitalism that have nothing to do with it, :lol:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Note. This story involves dead animals, albeit ones intended for pet food and assumably ethically euthanized.

AITA for refusing to apologise to my sister after exposing her lying problem?

quote:

My (21F) sister (23F) sister is a liar. Sometimes her lies are so bizarre that they don’t make sense. It’s like she’s delusional. When we were younger we used to fight and bicker all the time, but my parents never got involved out of fear of taking sides. When you have a conversation with her it is almost impossible to tell the truth from the lies. Last year she got married, and accused her MIL of hitting her. This enraged my mother who cut ties with all of my sisters in-laws, even though they were extremely close. Soon my parents noticed that her accounts of the event dramatically differed every time and it became very clear she was lying. My parents are devastated now because accused their friend of something she didn’t do. My mother wants to fix the situation, and I suggested she tell the truth, but she doesn’t want my sister to deal with the repercussions of the damage she has caused because my sister doesn’t deserve to be confronted or isolated by the family, which is likely what will happen. My sister hasn’t spoken to her husband in months, he is now extremely depressed and struggle to eat/sleep.

When you confront my sister about one of her lies, she throws a massive tantrum, she screams, cries and ignores you for days, incapable of having a normal conversation. She also hates my guts and I really don’t know why. I think it’s because our parents didn’t allow us to go to university but I fought (with help from police) and persevered my dream to go, whereas she just accepted not going. My parents always beg me to be nice to her and spend time with her but it’s impossible to be around her with the way she is so hostile and lies all the time.

A few days ago, I ordered some frozen mice off the internet for my tortoise. I repeatedly asked my sister if she had picked up any post for me, (she was the one that took the post those days) and she said no every time. Yesterday my mum found a parcel hidden downstairs under the warm printer with my name on it. The parcel was covered in tape that said “dry ice” in capital letters and my mum handed it to me. Sure enough, the 50 mice had defrosted and were rotting. I was infuriated as these mice had been killed just to end up in the bin. Just because the parcel had my name on it she had to sabotage it. I explained to my parents that I knew it was her and that she should be punished for this and recompense me for the money I paid for the mice. Later on my mum confronted her and, sure enough, she denied it and started screaming and crying and ignoring everyone.

My mum wants me to apologise and rekindle my relationship with her. I told her I should not apologise as I’ve done nothing wrong and she should open her eyes and see that my sister is delusional and is ruining lives. This situation is really upsetting as I feel I’m doing something wrong. I feel like must be an awful person for my own sister to despise me so much. AITA?

Edit: A lot of people have been asking, my tortoise is a red foot, so he is an omnivore snd needs animal protein to survive - lack of protein can cause neurological problems and low fertility rates. I buy the mice in bulk as it’s ultimately cheaper and store them in the back of the freezer where they last a long time.

Edit 2: A lot of people have been asking about the university situation so I’m just going to paste this from another reply. (my parents are very traditional and religious)

my parents believe university sends children “off the rails” and that as women we can get jobs however we should prioritise getting married and having children. “an educated woman is an unmarried woman” basically. it opens gateways to drink, drugs and boys which hinders the priority of marriage and family. my sister accepted that fate but i refused and i tried to leave the house. my family wouldn’t let me leave so i called the police and they took me out of the house and the next day i moved to my new campus. they didn’t speak to me for a few months but eventually apologised to me. They’ve accepted now that university is inevitable and no matter how they feel about it, they try their best to support me now.

A lot of people have also been asking if my parents have or do abuse me, I appreciate the concern but it is quite an invasive question which I don’t feel comfortable going into detail about on the internet, especially if one of my family members finds this post.

I also wanted to quickly add - my parents aren’t oblivious to my sisters lies, they know when she’s lying because the things she says are so wild and unbelievable, but they ignore her, if they tell her she’s lying she’ll throw a tantrum like I mentioned above. The assault situation was quite different as my sister had never told a lie so extreme before that my parents felt like they had to believe my daughter and support her to be good parents. They did take both accounts of the story, MIL said she didn’t even lay a finger on her maliciously, and my sisters husband was also there at the time and confirms nothing of the sort happened.

To all the people telling me to move out - I’m currently only at home for the summer, I’m going back to university in September to begin studying for my Masters degree - so I’ll be living back on campus which is about an hour away from home

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Trying to claim ownership of a recipe seems pretty capitalism-brained tbh

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
If you ask me having a secret recipe that can only be enjoyed by a select few and is (somehow) diminished in value if others are allowed to enjoy it at their pleasure is way more "capitalismbrain" than freely sharing a recipe that someone makes in front of you.

And if it's that important to you that is remains a secret don't make it in front of an experienced cook, jeez. OTOH I probably wouldn't announce to the world "I recreated Suzy's secret family recipe here let me write it down for you" I mean have a tiny bit of tact about it at least.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I will never reveal the Campbell's Cheesy Chicken Casserole secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Don't get over-sentimental over stupid bullshit? Must be capitalism brain