Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
actually I think the Slaanesh Anvil is summoning a cultist army that you can sacrifice entirely because it's not going to replenish anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Onmi posted:

the "LMAO I can force march and attack your settlements and run off like a giggling school girl." the enemy AI has.
I've been pretty pessimistic and down on the game, but, what the nehek?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Onmi posted:

Yeah, Kislev has no ability to chase down enemy armies which in turn makes it impossible to patrol your lands. They have no block army, there is STILL no solution to the "LMAO I can force march and attack your settlements and run off like a giggling school girl." the enemy AI has. Oh they have a province command to reduce enemy movement? Be a shame if you didn't own the whole province!

Like I've gotten 'good' at Kislev and I just loving hate how bad their army abilities are.
You need to learn how the AI behaves and anticipate it. The AI will not knowingly blunder into a fight that would give the player a close victory or better. Even a pryyhic victory it's variable (I think there's a % chance based on difficulty). So that means the AI will not commit to a fight unless they have a significant advantage.

If you have a settlement that would give you a valiant defeat in autoresolve, the AI will attack it assuming you don't have a significant army around. The thing is the AI knows EXACTLY how far everything can move, it can calculate you'll take two turns to rush back across the map and time it's attack accordingly. Tier 1 or 2 settlements are extremely likely to be attacked without a defender nearby. Similarly a very small army will get attacked by a larger one. The AI is using autoresolve to calculate whether to attack or flee.

Once you get a settlement to tier 3 it is less likely to be hit, and a walled tier 3 settlement is a pretty good insurance policy until late game (I had one that was not touched for about a hundred turns before a massive Demon army came and crushed it).

If you can pull off 2 ambushes against Ropsmann you can easily get Praag. The problem with these bastards is that they'll camp in their cities but jump out of you have a tier 1 that you captured but have Katarina far away. Getting East Oblast can be tricky early on because they'll keep sending armies from Praag which you have to get after. But you don't want an army garrisoned in there at the time, hence the need to bait them out and kill them.

Kislev has a particularly hard time with this overall, because:
-They don't get any extra ambush chance so you gotta ambush stance in woods near weak settlements. Compare to Xiao Ming who can kill Sknitch pretty early on and has followers that can boost ambush.

-Eastern Oblast consists of 4 settlements rather widely spaced apart, no 'major settlement' capital building. I'll rush to T3+walled asap. This province is your first milestone because it unlocks an ataman to further buff the province.

-For some sadistic reason their garrison building chain is 500g more expensive than everyone else's. So with Cathay /empire/etc you'll pay 1500/3000 but for Kislev you'll pay 2000/4000. Aside from Boris you really have no recourse early game, mid to late game is when you'll have lords/heroes/atamans that can give cost +time reductions. And you'll want to at least get critical settlements upgraded to pull their priority down for the AI. I'll often immediately upgrade the first garrison tier as soon as the settlement is tier 2,then again at tier 3.

-The Kislev settlements are miserable to fight in and don't actually let Kislev play on their strengths. Part of this is due to pathing and LOS issues that make units refuse to shoot or clump up awkwardly; these particular maps more than others really highlight it. As a result it's very difficult to win solely with a garrison, as the AI is going to ensure it has a significant advantage. You'll need a caster as a force multiplier to win those David and Goliath fights before walls.

-You're also in a race for supporters so you need to build a lot of church buildings but you'll get attacked constantly so you'll want garrison buildings as insurance but your early game economy is lovely because your money buildings are also flat out worse than your counterparts. Tier 2 church doesn't give an additional supporter, tier 2 market is an extra 1000g cost to get another 50g income. So the choice of buildings is really critical.

-The campaign encourages you to build tall, certainly with Kislev's weaknesses this is less frustrating. Yet their economy /mechanics require you to build WIDE. Lots of global bonuses to markets and farms which pay off later on, you'll need lots of churches to win the race ASAP,

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think what is happening here:

-AI force marches dangerously close to your settlement.

-In response, you desperately force March towards it but you'll need one more turn to reach it.

-AI attacks settlement, sacks it in which case they can still move (you can as well if you sack them), so they go force March to ensure you cant catch them on your next turn.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just build walls on all your settlements. Chaos rifts mechanic basically requires it anyway. Then who cares if they attack a settlement, you'll win lol

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm shocked that the Training agent ability still exists in its current form. They added an ability that is an order of magnitude more powerful to the very first skill of every lord's red line - and it's still too weak to be noticeable except over the course of dozens of turns - and still not only left Training on so many agents, but also did not buff it at all.

Compared to the replenishment, loot find, and mobility abilities(which are all great), it's so comically weak that it's a joke.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Third World Reagan posted:

I will plague this thread every few turns

Too bad plagues are woefully underpowered

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

lol what ^

dogstile posted:

Just build walls on all your settlements.

All this has happened before, all of this will happen again

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Double Bill posted:

Higher yes but not by that much, Rome 2 had a peak of 120k compared to 165k of WH3. 3K beat all of them though, with almost 200k peak. It also kept its launch players for much longer. It's still a very good game and it's pretty baffling how almost none of that quality transferred to the next game.

It's because it's not the next game!

As we know from the Norsca debacle, CA's branching strategy is not the best. As such they actually have multiple entirely separate branches of engine development running. The TW3 engine does not include the 3k improvements because it's on a different branch.

No, really. They don't seem to have a plan for how to merge these things back together either - see people finding stuff from WH2 patches missing because WH3 branched off that before WH2 development wrapped up (Not that anyone's complaining about losing the growth changes). The WH3-2 split was much more recent than whenever 3k split off as well.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Onmi posted:

Yeah, Kislev has no ability to chase down enemy armies which in turn makes it impossible to patrol your lands. They have no block army, there is STILL no solution to the "LMAO I can force march and attack your settlements and run off like a giggling school girl." the enemy AI has. Oh they have a province command to reduce enemy movement? Be a shame if you didn't own the whole province!

Like I've gotten 'good' at Kislev and I just loving hate how bad their army abilities are.
Keep the Ursun ritual going at all times. Between the slower movement (if you have the commandment) and the actually decent attrition (at least on hard) you can make most invading armies gently caress off or weaken enough that they cant threaten your settlements. And the AI will often switch to a raiding stance to avoid the attrition too, again slowing them down. I think when you can safely raise a small army and then disband them you won't need to put walls everywhere, but as-is a t2 garrison will keep most enemies off you long enough to get armies there as backup. As-is I haven't had an issue on defense from anything except the true LL doomstacks and those don't run from your armies anyway.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
The demon armies are really fun if insanely limited. There's just something about grinding the enemy to death over an hour as nurgle that makes me happy.

One day I'll get around to trying Kislev or cathay

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Hey, many of us aren't even touching the game unit immortal empires touches down. Still preordered tho lol.

I bought it on the first day to get my Ogres. I played the tutorial. I stopped before starting a new campaign and haven't touched it at all. Personally I'm waiting for the Blood DLC because I want to play Khorne first and there is zero chance I am gonna be the Blood God with no blood. I'm happy to wait, I have a fun Throgg campaign going in Warhams II.

The release of Warhams III was pretty much as expected. They are all relatively lame at launch and they get better over time, and this is true for just about every Total War game.

I get that people are unhappy, but again, what exactly did you expect? I didn't expect CA to suddenly release a giant game without a bunch of bugs. The Chaos Realms poo poo that is apparently pissing people off will eventually be nothing to worry about when the Big Map is released and you can just ignore it. They're gonna tweak it anyway, and there is no better way to playtest than to release it to millions of people who will pay for the privilege. I'm glad you're all playtesting it for me. When I play it , it'll be better.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

If I never ever ever ever have to load into a total war warhammer 2 siege map ever again I will accept some flaws.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Ravenfood posted:

Keep the Ursun ritual going at all times. Between the slower movement (if you have the commandment) and the actually decent attrition (at least on hard) you can make most invading armies gently caress off or weaken enough that they cant threaten your settlements. And the AI will often switch to a raiding stance to avoid the attrition too, again slowing them down. I think when you can safely raise a small army and then disband them you won't need to put walls everywhere, but as-is a t2 garrison will keep most enemies off you long enough to get armies there as backup. As-is I haven't had an issue on defense from anything except the true LL doomstacks and those don't run from your armies anyway.
I don't find the effect that powerful, but one particular benefit is sieges. If they encircle your cities, they'll suffer attrition which stalls them from attacking indefinitely since it seems to happen at an equal rate. It also gives you a spiffy slowing effect which you can chain into ice sheet spell. I would recommend using it right before you capture your first settlement, because you can likely get another one before the effect wears off so that's ten followers right there.

Tor seems like the most useful for getting followers, having lots of battles is pretty easy (use it when entering Khorne realm). You also get a strong steroid buff with it.

Salyak is decent mid game and the tech for it is the best of the 4 because it improves everything.

Some people insist on followers per level up but this assumes you have multiple lords+ heroes going on. Getting them for buildings makes sense if it counts buildings completed. Definitely take advantage of the Mother Earth event when it comes up.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Is there a Warhammer 2 mod that expands the pools of names for Lords and Heroes?

In Warhammer 3 the amount of repetition of character names is crazy. I want to expand it and I figured I'd get a head-start by looking at an old Warhammer 2 mod that does the same thing. Only problem is I can't find a Warhammer 2 mod that does this, which surprises me. Anyone know of an existing mod that expands the name pool? Or knows what tables control the names?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

I don't find the effect that powerful, but one particular benefit is sieges. If they encircle your cities, they'll suffer attrition which stalls them from attacking indefinitely since it seems to happen at an equal rate. It also gives you a spiffy slowing effect which you can chain into ice sheet spell. I would recommend using it right before you capture your first settlement, because you can likely get another one before the effect wears off so that's ten followers right there.

This is basically the narrative of my VH/VH Kislev campaign. I ran Ursun 24/7, with all provinces rocking the slow commandment. I won the initial milestone for the supporter race because Ursun outweighed the penalties for fighting fellow Kislevites, then I never had to fight a non-autoresolved defensive battle on my territory because no besieging army could legitimately threaten a garrisoned settlement on account of the attrition, atamans, and stern women riding bears that patrolled the countryside. lovely raider armies also couldn't move fast enough to avoid being wiped out.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Jarvisi posted:

One day I'll get around to trying Kislev or cathay

Kislev is the harder of the two, but the missile heavy army means that lucking into favorable terrain is hugely beneficial, and it pairs well with slows. Ice Guard are a lot of fun and Kat+landmark building can get them cheaper than Kossars. The fights are tough (I went into a lot of their shortcomings earlier) but their trait customization for casters and atamans is fun and useful. They'll be really good in Immortal Empires for sure.

Cathay is like Empire but better in almost every way. They only really lack great weapon infantry and skirmishers. Harmony system in combat is free buffs putting your units where you'd arrange them anyway. Campaign harmony system is annoying but not as bad as what Kislev is dealt, and keeping harmony means huge campaign buffs. The Caravan mechanic is REALLY cool, probably my favorite new thing so far and it makes you tons of money. Also, similar to Ogres the two legendary lords/locations are equally good.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

litany of gulps posted:

This is basically the narrative of my VH/VH Kislev campaign. I ran Ursun 24/7, with all provinces rocking the slow commandment. I won the initial milestone for the supporter race because Ursun outweighed the penalties for fighting fellow Kislevites, then I never had to fight a non-autoresolved defensive battle on my territory because no besieging army could legitimately threaten a garrisoned settlement on account of the attrition, atamans, and stern women riding bears that patrolled the countryside. lovely raider armies also couldn't move fast enough to avoid being wiped out.

This is exactly what I did as well

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Onmi posted:

don't they have a province debuff to enemy army movement and then buffs to their own movement and ambush stance

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
If you see the enemy coming because of vision and good hero placement, you uh.. you should be able to stop them

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Panfilo posted:

Kislev is the harder of the two, but the missile heavy army means that lucking into favorable terrain is hugely beneficial, and it pairs well with slows. Ice Guard are a lot of fun and Kat+landmark building can get them cheaper than Kossars. The fights are tough (I went into a lot of their shortcomings earlier) but their trait customization for casters and atamans is fun and useful. They'll be really good in Immortal Empires for sure.

Cathay is like Empire but better in almost every way. They only really lack great weapon infantry and skirmishers. Harmony system in combat is free buffs putting your units where you'd arrange them anyway. Campaign harmony system is annoying but not as bad as what Kislev is dealt, and keeping harmony means huge campaign buffs. The Caravan mechanic is REALLY cool, probably my favorite new thing so far and it makes you tons of money. Also, similar to Ogres the two legendary lords/locations are equally good.

Empire has way better cavalry, much more flexible magic and heroes, and doesn't have to depend on Harmony so they skew a bit more to the tactical offensive in general. Both nations are working off a similar battleplan, but it's more like the Wood Elves/High Elves split: they're definitely focusing onto different niches even if they can both choose to bring similar armies sometimes.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Third World Reagan posted:

don't they have a province debuff to enemy army movement and then buffs to their own movement and ambush stance

Ambush does some work in that stupid demon funnel mountain pass south of Sjotraken. Even if they spot you hiding in some little patch of forest with your Evelina Bebchuk, two patriarchs, and 17 kossars, they’re usually too deep into the rasputitsa to escape. And if you lose some kossars or patriarchs to the auto resolve, oh well! No shortage of replacements for cheap

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Gotta say the August 1991 issue of Stern Women Riding Bears basically got me through high school

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Panfilo posted:

The Caravan mechanic is REALLY cool, probably my favorite new thing so far and it makes you tons of money. Also, similar to Ogres the two legendary lords/locations are equally good.

Caravan is going to be amazing in the combined map.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It's been a thing that's been in these games pretty much since Rome 2/Attila.

The general rules are:

1) The AI has fog of war disabled and can see everything BUT armies in ambush stance.
2) The AI is also determined to not be involved in a fight that it doesn't think it can't win.
3) Conversely, due to anti-player bias it loves go for fights it thinks it will win.

This essentially means that on the campaign map the AI really, really likes to go for un-walled/un-garrisoned settlements because they don't have the 'force multiplier' of walls. So you'd have armies just perfectly run through your entire empire to sack the one unwalled settlement in the middle of nowhere. In 3 it's a bit off because I don't think the AI has really worked the settlement bonuses into the autoresolve properly so you'll get these weird defensive settlement battles where you can just shred them because it doesn't think you have 6 cannons with infinite ammo and a Carroccio Standard from Medieval 2 floating around. In addition to this, the AI doesn't want to fight against an army it won't beat, and what the AI wants, it gets, so it'll perfectly calculate the exact distance it needs to stay away from you (while being in Forced March stance), so unless you're able to slow or block an army you're not going to catch them.

I actually had this happen in the Khorne realm (and posted about it!) where a Chaos crapstack just orbited around me in Force March, being the perfect distance away from me to engage it (since it knew I would loving annihilate it in a fight), while accumulating blood points because AI cheats and the only way it was able to be dealt with was knowing exactly where the quest battle would be and just sitting there in Ambush stance, which was a diceroll on if it would work or not. Of course, using Block Army is also a diceroll as well, which is just swell, assuming you even GET block army.

Basically I get why the AI does this, I'd do this as a player if I had the time, means and caring potential (so I actually did it in a completely different MP 4X game). But it's just comically tedious when every single AI army does this at all times. You get Khorne and Greenskin armies yelling and wanting to smash heads in and then just sitting down and pulling out a map and going "we must employ the ways of the Skaven and Elves, attack their weakest settlement and avoid combat at all costs".

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

not a bot posted:

Caravan is going to be amazing in the combined map.

Caravan is one of the coolest additions that they made to the game. I can't wait to see if they let you recruit, say, Knights Errant or some other mercs into them. The big map has such enormous possibilities.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Also, obviously Ogres as a threat in the Mountains of Mourn, but I could totally see Beastmen, Greenskins, and grumpy Tomb Kings also out to ruin your day.

And it would also make sense to have a nautical version. Heck, they could just adapt it for all the major trading type factions, with some needing a specific lord or city to activate the mechanic.

Then on land, factions like Ogres and Beastmen could have anti-caravan mechanics that involve sending thugs down certain corridors to shake down caravans as they go by. On sea Vampire coast and Druchii could have similar counterparts to intercept trade cogs.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
A full army of ironblasters is a thing of gimmick-beauty

So much firepower :getin:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Gonkish posted:

Caravan is one of the coolest additions that they made to the game. I can't wait to see if they let you recruit, say, Knights Errant or some other mercs into them. The big map has such enormous possibilities.

High Elves should absolutely have a nautical version of it, not that they need yet another overpowered mechanic... :v:

So should the Empire and Bretonnia, along with the mirror of the same Caravan system, just towards Cathay, for Empire.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Since there's way too much to respond to, I do build garrisons in every city I own. Unfortunately, we now move into problem two. The Kislev Garrisons suck poo poo. I don't know which person decided I needed three Kossar Dervishes, but I would very much like to smack them. I should also clarify this isn't a case of "I can't win these battles." I absolutely can. It's that the AI will be a pain in the rear end endlessly but not a threat, because as others have said they have perfect calculations and you can't run them down. If you could engage armies in force march but ONLY if those armies are also in Force March you'd be able to sort it out easily.

Yes I know I can ambush bait the AI, except ambush baiting the AI also means my army is not doing what it needs to be doing, which is making progress. This creates the merry-go-round of bullshit. You're constantly besieged by armies you can't chase down and since the AI besieging you on their turn means you've already taken attrition. You go into Ambush stance (Pray you don't get detected) and waste time on the army. Or you're going to go and fight an enemy, only to have the AI pop into your land again and demand being taken care of. In the old days this was a simple solution, recruit a lord, give shitstack, protect land with shitstack, sadly the supply line bug means your income is hosed by doing this unless you can sack off that lord.

And again, the commandment that lowers movement speed isn't doable if you don't have the province under your control, this is fine for Katarin and Kostaltyn since their provinces are pretty small. This is hell for Boris.

Boris's campaign does not have a good economy in a faction that doesn't have a good economy. the locations around him are divided among greenskins, ogres and skaven that put you into a hell-war if you try to take them all on at once, unable to field a new army because your economy is poo poo, meaning Boris is the only person able to do anything. The provinces are so divided between multiple factions that it isn't a case of "Okay kill the Dark Land orcs, consolidate, kill the Skaven, kill the Ogres." If you want to consolidate you need to kill all three. Before Boris can kill all three, you're going to have rebels or incursions or a war because Greasus is just north of you and he's a fucker. And again, you can't do Homeland defense because the game is bugged.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here is what I'd change the chaos realm traits to, turning them into boons the chaos gods are bestowing on you because you amuse them in their realm and you could refuse the boon and have a increasingly stronger demon army spawn on you for each refusal.

Khorne: Army gains +3 leadership/MA/MD/base weapon damage +5 Khorne corruption per rank.
Slaanesh: Faction leader gains +5 MA/MD/Speed/5% weapon strength +5 Slaanesh corruption per rank.
Nurgle: 50 Growth in all cities and 5% casualty replenishment rate in all armies +5 Nurgle corruption per rank.
Tzeentch: 50% research rate 10% ambush chance/defense chance/reinforcement time +5 Tzeentch corruption per rank.

Every rank would have around a 3% chance for a random negative event triggering related to that chaos god per turn, you could do a ritual to cleanse the faction leader to remove it at any time but it would disable campaign movement for a turn for each rank.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
:siren: Important news :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHEHD17-Aw0

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Also I can't find the exact post wrt the person having problems with the final survival battle but basically running forward with your whole army to cap the points is an actual beginner's trap. You get 30-45 seconds to set up (lmao considering how your troops get caught on each other) and then you get surrounded on every side, it stinks.

The thing that worked the best for me was just setting up a defensive position at point 1 and then running my fastest unit to cap point 2. Everything just drops down, surrounds nothing then proceeds to walk forward into my killzone, then I inch into the chokepoints between point 1 and 2 and send the same unit to cap 3 and repeat the process. It actually let me use my artillery as Cathay and not have them be complete garbage. You also still have problems due to the ten thousand bugs in the game, but oh well.

You can also go full psycho LotW cheesemode and just farm the infinitely respawning garbage between capping the points and get all your troops gold upgrades if you're feeling especially bored and frisky.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I just always go into the battle with a doomstack so I don't have to think at all.

With Khorne I just used the heavy rhino cavalry things and right clicked everything and it was very easy. With the ogres I just just stonehorns and whatever elite ogres I had on hand and it was very easy

Not really sure what I'll do with cathay. Sentinel stack?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Playing Skarbrand with the mod that allows you to toggle the storyline off... and it's wonderful. Just a happy go lucky murderfest where Skarbrand punts everything to death and burns the world down. :allears:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
id like it if there was a stance that you could take that meant that any enemy army that moved into your movement range could be 'intercepted' and attacked, and if you did this while garrisoned you'd take the garrison army with you.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Chucat posted:

It's been a thing that's been in these games pretty much since Rome 2/Attila.

The general rules are:

1) The AI has fog of war disabled and can see everything BUT armies in ambush stance.
2) The AI is also determined to not be involved in a fight that it doesn't think it can't win.
3) Conversely, due to anti-player bias it loves go for fights it thinks it will win.

This essentially means that on the campaign map the AI really, really likes to go for un-walled/un-garrisoned settlements because they don't have the 'force multiplier' of walls. So you'd have armies just perfectly run through your entire empire to sack the one unwalled settlement in the middle of nowhere. In 3 it's a bit off because I don't think the AI has really worked the settlement bonuses into the autoresolve properly so you'll get these weird defensive settlement battles where you can just shred them because it doesn't think you have 6 cannons with infinite ammo and a Carroccio Standard from Medieval 2 floating around. In addition to this, the AI doesn't want to fight against an army it won't beat, and what the AI wants, it gets, so it'll perfectly calculate the exact distance it needs to stay away from you (while being in Forced March stance), so unless you're able to slow or block an army you're not going to catch them.

I actually had this happen in the Khorne realm (and posted about it!) where a Chaos crapstack just orbited around me in Force March, being the perfect distance away from me to engage it (since it knew I would loving annihilate it in a fight), while accumulating blood points because AI cheats and the only way it was able to be dealt with was knowing exactly where the quest battle would be and just sitting there in Ambush stance, which was a diceroll on if it would work or not. Of course, using Block Army is also a diceroll as well, which is just swell, assuming you even GET block army.

Basically I get why the AI does this, I'd do this as a player if I had the time, means and caring potential (so I actually did it in a completely different MP 4X game). But it's just comically tedious when every single AI army does this at all times. You get Khorne and Greenskin armies yelling and wanting to smash heads in and then just sitting down and pulling out a map and going "we must employ the ways of the Skaven and Elves, attack their weakest settlement and avoid combat at all costs".

It's super noticeable and embarrassing as the demon Prince. The game guides you to take the port in the first few turns and as AI is super focused on the player you get like 3-4 AI armies sailing towards you.

You move your army back to the port city and the AI all sails away and then you move the army out and the AI all starts sailing towards it. I dunno how that poo poo can make it through play testing because it looks ridiculous and it's not fun.

The issue does resolve itself after like 50 turns when you've built up all the settlements and have walls+garrison/a spare army just for defence but COME ON CA. I could swear that poo poo was mostly fixed in three kingdoms.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 11, 2022

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Zzulu posted:

I just always go into the battle with a doomstack so I don't have to think at all.

With Khorne I just used the heavy rhino cavalry things and right clicked everything and it was very easy. With the ogres I just just stonehorns and whatever elite ogres I had on hand and it was very easy

Not really sure what I'll do with cathay. Sentinel stack?

I mean my army is essentially a doomstack, it's just not a doomstack in the sense of "able to deal with 20 soul grinders dropping in a perfect circle around you while you're fumbling around", which is why getting to set up really far away and establish chokepoints is such an advantage (you see they're force multipliers).

Anyway I think the 'simple/brainless' Cathay doomstack is just Sentinels and Sky Junks. I haven't tried it, but it seems to make the most sense.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Just make the A.I less skittish about auto-resolve. They did this in 3K and it was a massive improvement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Onmi posted:

You're constantly besieged by armies you can't chase down and since the AI besieging you on their turn means you've already taken attrition.

This isn't true.

You don't take attrition damage until after your turn has happened in a round. You can see this in two ways - your guys won't have taken damage and also that when you siege the AI it shows them not taking damage.... and then they do. This is because their turn comes after yours, so they take the end of round attrition before you your turn!

Either that or attrition is happening at the end of your turn now.