Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hadlock posted:

Three years ago housing was pretty affordable but right now it's jumping up at 10-12% annually

Every dilapidated house near my downtown right now in my area is swarming with tradesmen renovating houses that have sat vacant for decades

I'm glad we bought in spring of 2020, I think purchasing power for SFH is about to fall through the floor after trending down the last two years

Boomers can't die fast enough

There are a bunch of 0 down mortgages available you just need to know where to look. SFFCU has a 0% down poppy loan, navy federal has one I think. USDA has one for most rural areas. A lot of smaller cities give 0% loans for 10% down payments

I will jump for joy if the housing market finally crashes because its disgusting, but I have my doubts that Boston will be participating in said crash. Either way, a house is a purchase, not an investment - dont try and factor future value into it any further than refinancing your mortgage, and dont expect past performance to be indicative of future returns. If its $1 million (:gonk:), it costs $1 million, even if in a couple years its $1.21 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Pollyanna posted:

I will jump for joy if the housing market finally crashes because it’s disgusting, but I have my doubts that Boston will be participating in said crash. Either way, a house is a purchase, not an investment - don’t try and factor future value into it any further than refinancing your mortgage, and don’t expect past performance to be indicative of future returns. If it’s $1 million (:gonk:), it costs $1 million, even if in a couple years it’s $1.21 million.

Your own home is a purchase. Rental properties or flips are investments.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Volguus posted:

But netflix wouldn't deserve to be there anyway? What kind of salaries do they have? Lower than FB or Google? I thought they're up there with the best of them, but I could be wrong.

Netflix is notable for having competitive total comp without RSUs. :homebrew:

It's probably way more than FB or Google this year.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Yeah iirc Netflix pays more in salary than any other tech major on a level by level basis and from memory it's not even close

Fake edit: yeah https://www.levels.fyi/company/Netflix/salaries/Software-Engineer/

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Netflix doesn't really have levels and for a while they didn't even hire any below what would typically be senior, though maybe that's changed. If they aren't the best paying company, they are in the 99% percentile. They also make you work for that salary.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Thanks for the tips about Boston. I was hoping for a role that was mostly remote with the option to go into an office on my own schedule (what my current place does) but I guess if the company was remote only but had regular retreats or something that would be fine

Poking at mid level salaries in the area, I should target at least 150k base for my next job and/or build a case with my boss to bump me up more

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
His new one is MAMAA. Which now includes Microsoft and excludes Netflix which I suppose is more in line with 'big tech' but somehow manages to sound even more dumb.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

netflix pays higher than google and amazon and pays all* salary

* you can also choose to get between 0-100% of your salary in netflix stock options

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Just saw an article on Xtreme Programming pushed into my inbox. Used to be they at least put new names on things.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

oliveoil posted:

Yeah the company is Google. The stand-ups are about thirty minutes.

I worked on a scrum team when I was an intern elsewhere ten years ago and I remember agile being quite different.

This org uses six-month planning intervals, so I thought maybe I just need to wait a few more months, but then I had a talk with my manager and it's looking like about six more months till I have an objective of my own to focus on.

Basically the by next perf I can expect more but iirc the timeline was also about "six months".

He mentioned it depended on me so maybe this is an area where I am free to poke around and look for stuff to do instead of waiting to receive something.
As a Google alumna, beware. At your annual review they will blame you for your work not being visible enough, not important enough, or not adequate relative to your job bar. You've already spent three months on scut work, and that isn't good. Has your management told you what your Q1 stack ranking was? If not, find out. Ask. I say this because I got Does Not Meet Expectations (have mercifully forgotten the exact Google name for this), and my manager didn't tell me because she thought it would hurt my feelings.

If Google still assigns mentors, talk to yours, say "I think I'm being sidelined in ways that keep me from being effective", and ask for advice on how to push for more work that uses your experience to best advantage. In the meantime -- and I realize this may not be possible -- keep an eye out for meaningful work that needs doing that hasn't been added to the sprint. "I was working on Button X when I realized that the button controller needs refactoring, and if we do X and Y we can have one controller that is much more reusable."

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
in these months churning through miscellaneous tasks, have you noticed any opportunities for larger refactoring that would make the code or system more readable or maintainable? Bring up your idea with a teammate casually. If they think it's a good idea, write up the idea a bit more formally. Boom you're 'participating in design' and 'setting direction for others' or whatever the L4/L5 ladder leadership requirements say.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

As a Google alumna, beware. At your annual review they will blame you for your work not being visible enough, not important enough, or not adequate relative to your job bar. You've already spent three months on scut work, and that isn't good. Has your management told you what your Q1 stack ranking was? If not, find out. Ask. I say this because I got Does Not Meet Expectations (have mercifully forgotten the exact Google name for this), and my manager didn't tell me because she thought it would hurt my feelings.

If Google still assigns mentors, talk to yours, say "I think I'm being sidelined in ways that keep me from being effective", and ask for advice on how to push for more work that uses your experience to best advantage. In the meantime -- and I realize this may not be possible -- keep an eye out for meaningful work that needs doing that hasn't been added to the sprint. "I was working on Button X when I realized that the button controller needs refactoring, and if we do X and Y we can have one controller that is much more reusable."

Well now Im paranoid. Ive heard nothing but praise from my manager and the engineer I work most closely with and now I dont know if I can actually trust them. Guess the answer might be no, and its time for me to start getting suspicious.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Well now Im paranoid. Ive heard nothing but praise from my manager and the engineer I work most closely with and now I dont know if I can actually trust them. Guess the answer might be no, and its time for me to start getting suspicious.

I think Arsenic Lupin is overstating things a bit. Usually you'll get CME (Consistently Meets Expectations), and if you don't, your performance review won't be the first time someone talks to you about your performance.

However, I will also say that you should not expect to get anything better than CME without working in advance with your manager to clearly define how to measure your performance, what milestones you need to hit, and how to document those milestones. Otherwise, no matter how hard you work, odds are good that your accomplishments won't be recognized. I think you can find an internal page on "perf-driven development" or something like that, which lays out the basics on how to do this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh I dont think Ill get anything more than CME without specifically gunning for it (which Im not at the moment), and I understand that. This is more about cat-like stoicism until the claws come out, so to speak. Ive had silent managers and bosses in the past who basically didnt bother to communicate any gap in expectations until it was too late, and Id prefer not to be in that position again.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Oh I dont think Ill get anything more than CME without specifically gunning for it (which Im not at the moment), and I understand that. This is more about cat-like stoicism until the claws come out, so to speak. Ive had silent managers and bosses in the past who basically didnt bother to communicate any gap in expectations until it was too late, and Id prefer not to be in that position again.

You can mitigate this by specifically talking about it with your manager in your 1:1s. You can say stuff like "If you were going to give me a performance review right now, what score would I get" or "Is there anything you're expecting me to do in this role that I'm not currently doing" or "What would I need to do to get a higher perf score". Even if you aren't specifically gunning for a higher score, having these conversations can help make sure that there's no disconnect between you and your manager. It also lays some groundwork so that if/when you do start going for promotion, you and your manager are already in tune and ready to work on stepping things up.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

TooMuchExtraction gives very sound advice.

I'm bitter about my Google experience, so take what I say in that context. I will say that, at least in my department, communication from managers to reports could be horrifically bad. I didn't even know Google did stack ranking until my first year had passed; I also didn't know how important it was to be visible outside your department. In my experience, and the experience of others in my group, when stack ranking time comes around, your group is competing with other groups for a limited number of high ratings. It is important to have people you aren't actually working with familiar with your name, and in a good way.

Pollyanna posted:

Ive had silent managers and bosses in the past who basically didnt bother to communicate any gap in expectations until it was too late, and Id prefer not to be in that position again.
That is exactly what happened to me. A lot depends on, not just your manager, but your skip-level manager. My manager told me I was doing great (different manager from the one who didn't tell me about the Does Not Meet), and when he stopped being a manager it turned out that several other people in the department were angry at me, and I'd never known. I'd thought because my manager told me I was doing great, that meant I was doing great.

So. Don't be paranoid. Do make sure you're operating on information as complete as you can get it, and do reach out to your mentor as well as to your direct manager. Network. I am genuinely worried that you're being told that it may be a year before you're getting work commensurate with your level.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Performance reviews where you have to advocate for yourself are dumb as loving poo poo and stack rankings are even worse.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Performance reviews where you have to advocate for yourself are dumb as loving poo poo

I'm sympathetic, because perf season sucks, but I'm also not sympathetic, because nobody knows your work as well as you do. No manager can possibly put in the time to research all of their reports and be a good advocate for all of their reports and do all the other poo poo that managers are expected to do. By being your own best advocate, what you're doing (at least in part) is handing your manager a big pile of documentation that they can then use to fight for you. If they don't have that documentation and someone asks them why Good Will Hrunting deserves to be promoted, all they can really do is say vague poo poo like "well, they did a great job on this last project" and "everyone seems to think they're good".

quote:

and stack rankings are even worse.
This is absolutely true though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Definitely, but it's also your manager's job to tell you what the promotion rubric looks like ahead of time and do their best to match it to work they already know about. It's definitely a two way process.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Mr. Manager, please min/max my 'boring poo poo that doesn't look that good'/'cool sick fun poo poo that looks hella tight and sexy' thanks

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Stack ranking betrays a complete lack of ability to understand statistics.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
applying for my 5th tech job and I've decided that I want to work somewhere I actually like and/or on a product I actually use, rather than just going where I'll get the biggest paycheck. Got a Spotify interview and immediately was DQed for it because I wasn't in the right timezone :qq:

Now I'm going through job boards like every other day and I'm realizing I don't care about what any company does. I don't want to work anywhere!

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No manager can possibly put in the time to research all of their reports and be a good advocate for all of their reports and do all the other poo poo that managers are expected to do.

People management is fighting for your employees. If you have too many reports to keep track of that's bad. If you can't be bothered to advocate for your employees that's bad too.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Has your management told you what your Q1 stack ranking was?

Wait Google still do this? in 2022?! Even Microsoft decided that was a bad idea years ago.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Mr. Manager, please min/max my 'boring poo poo that doesn't look that good'/'cool sick fun poo poo that looks hella tight and sexy' thanks

It's easier to spin the boring poo poo as sexy than it is to consistently find sexy projects to pick up.

teen phone cutie posted:

applying for my 5th tech job and I've decided that I want to work somewhere I actually like and/or on a product I actually use, rather than just going where I'll get the biggest paycheck. Got a Spotify interview and immediately was DQed for it because I wasn't in the right timezone :qq:

Now I'm going through job boards like every other day and I'm realizing I don't care about what any company does. I don't want to work anywhere!

This is the way.

Blinkz0rz posted:

People management is fighting for your employees. If you have too many reports to keep track of that's bad. If you can't be bothered to advocate for your employees that's bad too.

The amount I'm injecting myself into finding work, framing that work, and building advancement narratives for reports is inversely proportional to their level and directly proportional to how I perceive they're performing in their role.

Juniors and mids are going to get pushed through the process a lot more than people trying to move past the terminal level.

My job is to enable people to succeed, not force them to.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Performance reviews where you have to advocate for yourself are dumb as loving poo poo and stack rankings are even worse.

The best manager I ever had was only half as an effective advocate as I was for myself. Take daily or weekly notes on your accomplishments. Yeah, it's doing your managers job but there's too much money on the line not to.

gently caress stack rankings to hell and back.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

leper khan posted:

The amount I'm injecting myself into finding work, framing that work, and building advancement narratives for reports is inversely proportional to their level and directly proportional to how I perceive they're performing in their role.

Juniors and mids are going to get pushed through the process a lot more than people trying to move past the terminal level.

My job is to enable people to succeed, not force them to.

Ok?

Nothing about what you said disagreed with my point.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

feedmegin posted:

Wait Google still do this? in 2022?! Even Microsoft decided that was a bad idea years ago.

I cant prove were not doing this.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

luchadornado posted:

The best manager I ever had was only half as an effective advocate as I was for myself.

These all sound like management or culture problems, to me. (I've experienced them but I've also experienced the opposite!)

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Double postin to say it rules to be somewhere that comp is fair and regularly examined and adjusted, highly encourage everyone to get to a point where you're fairly compensated.

feels great until the money goes to a landlord lmao

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

I don't know about stack ranking per se, but management definitely has a budget that influences how many people will be permitted to get good scores in any given review cycle. You're competing for a limited number of (bigger) bonuses and promotions.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I don't know about stack ranking per se, but management definitely has a budget that influences how many people will be permitted to get good scores in any given review cycle. You're competing for a limited number of (bigger) bonuses and promotions.

This is true to some degree at basically all orgs. But it's not usually helpful to take an antagonistic framing with your colleagues or your role.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

stack ranking is more than just making a list of people. every org makes lists when there are limited resources to allocate along an axis. as far as i'm aware the only time google ranks people that's granular per-person that way is promo nominees to see who gets it(and then managers can argue for more but realistically it's very close to stack ranking). regular perf isn't stack ranked beyond that implicit in bucketing people into the categories

of course nothing stops an individual manager from stack ranking everybody and allocating NI/CME/EE/SEE/O on a terrible curve. but that's not common or encouraged practice as far as i'm aware

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
Hi thread. 6 years ago I got hired as a graduate software engineer after a one-year CS conversion Masters degree in the UK. At the time it seemed like my dream job, at a well-known tech company (not FAANG).

Im now Senior and a tech lead and managing a small team. I have access to salary data so I know that the company has been under-paying me. They have also started talking about layoffs.

A Meta recruiter emailed me (I dont know how they found my email address) and I figured maybe this would be a good opportunity to get some interview practice. I like my job and my team, and I dont know how I feel about working for Meta, or if I meet their standards, but I thought I might as well try it and see what happens.

I am extremely out of practice; this is my second ever software engineering interview. I dont have a lot of formal CS training, I know I am not the best at solving algorithm/data structure puzzles. I get nervous easily, so I was thinking of taking some time off to prepare.

Meta have provided some practice questions which dont seem to be too bad; I was able to write a mostly-optimised solution in 15-20 minutes for 3 out of 4 problems I tried. Does anyone have any advice for what I should practice?

Im told there will also be a systems design interview, Im not sure what that entails. Based on what the recruiter told me, it doesnt sound wildly different from the stuff I do in my role as a tech lead. Id appreciate any advice for preparing for this, as well.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the recruiter probably gave you a reading list. cracking the code interview and designing data intensive applications are probably on it. those are pretty big standard recs so you could do worse than starting there

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Crisis posted:

Hi thread. 6 years ago I got hired as a graduate software engineer after a one-year CS conversion Masters degree in the UK. At the time it seemed like my dream job, at a well-known tech company (not FAANG).

Im now Senior and a tech lead and managing a small team. I have access to salary data so I know that the company has been under-paying me. They have also started talking about layoffs.

A Meta recruiter emailed me (I dont know how they found my email address) and I figured maybe this would be a good opportunity to get some interview practice. I like my job and my team, and I dont know how I feel about working for Meta, or if I meet their standards, but I thought I might as well try it and see what happens.

I am extremely out of practice; this is my second ever software engineering interview. I dont have a lot of formal CS training, I know I am not the best at solving algorithm/data structure puzzles. I get nervous easily, so I was thinking of taking some time off to prepare.

Meta have provided some practice questions which dont seem to be too bad; I was able to write a mostly-optimised solution in 15-20 minutes for 3 out of 4 problems I tried. Does anyone have any advice for what I should practice?

Im told there will also be a systems design interview, Im not sure what that entails. Based on what the recruiter told me, it doesnt sound wildly different from the stuff I do in my role as a tech lead. Id appreciate any advice for preparing for this, as well.

If you're really interested in making the move to Meta, I think paying for a month of LeetCode premium and just practicing as many of the top/recently seen Meta interview questions as possible would be the way to go. $35 for a potential huge increase in TC is a pretty easy tradeoff, imo. System design is something else entirely, there is a very in depth github with a lot of resources to get you started:

https://github.com/donnemartin/system-design-primer

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 11, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Most peeps yields after seniorish is like, 20-90% resume -> passed phone screen and 0.5-20% passed phone screen -> offer. depending where you sit in that radically unequal ratio thing you may consider yourself as properly having started interviewing after like 5 resumes sent out or 200

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

These all sound like management or culture problems, to me. (I've experienced them but I've also experienced the opposite!)

Why would someone else know your accomplishments better than you?

Even with a great manager, and I've had some, it helps to remind them of why you're awesome.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thats what I did at my last job, cause I was afraid of being ignored or not taken seriously, even though I most certainly wasnt.

I am also afraid of losing my memoryits bad enough as it is, so writing down what Ive done is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I cant prove were not doing this.

Calibration is a partial ordering rather than a total ordering and the outcome looks like a Gaussian distribution across performance buckets rather than a "depth chart".