Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The pacing is nuts, I had a cutscene of meeting my boys in front of the castle then text saying “THEY HAD AN ADVENTURE TO PROVE THEMSELVES TO THE KING” then we’re talking on a boat?? Then another bit of text telling me “SO THEY RETURNED AND NOW THEY TALK TO THE KING”. It’s like it’s incomplete, or they realized that mission was boring so they cut it. This game is gonna rule.

that’s basically what the storytelling in Nioh was like too.

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ff6 patched

We have fixed the following issues.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by these issues.

Fixed a rare issue where battle progression gets blocked under certain circumstances.
Continued from the previous update, we have fixed this issue.
An issue where the game may not show event scenes properly or in rare cases, may block progression if some events proceeded with a certain character that was being set up to be displayed on the map.
We are still investigating this issue and will take action.
Fixed a rare progression blocker issue that may occur under certain circumstances as the player is making their way through certain dungeons.
Fixed an issue where the game transitions to an incorrect map if the player transitions to the map from a certain location.
Fixed an issue where the player was able to invade an incorrect location on a certain map that may result in progression blockers.
Fixed an issue where characters that were removed from a battle due to enemy skill, “Humbaba Breath” are missing on the item menu as available characters that can equip gear.
Fixed an issue where Locke is unable to equip the gear “Ninja Gear” and “Black Garb”.
Fixed an issue where the weapon “Masamune” is unobtainable after completing a certain event.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Lotus Aura posted:

I don't think it took me quite that long, but Garland was definitely the hardest fight for me too.

At this point, I've just been running through him real quick for free job level shards though. Once I got used to the timing, turns out Soul Shield, counters and spells utterly steamroll :v:

I pressed left and right on the dpad to tell Ash and Jed to go nuts and they shaved off like a quarter of Garland's healthbar. I felt dirty, like I was cheating and I should fight him without companions to show what a real angry man fights like.

I wonder what jobs if any they will add to DLC/SoP 2. There's a distinct lack of a couple of classics like Summoner or Ranger or Bard. Ranger would be pretty tricky I think, the combat system emphasises going into melee even for mages so I dunno how you'll do that for a bow job.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

I pressed left and right on the dpad to tell Ash and Jed to go nuts and they shaved off like a quarter of Garland's healthbar. I felt dirty, like I was cheating and I should fight him without companions to show what a real angry man fights like.

I wonder what jobs if any they will add to DLC/SoP 2. There's a distinct lack of a couple of classics like Summoner or Ranger or Bard. Ranger would be pretty tricky I think, the combat system emphasises going into melee even for mages so I dunno how you'll do that for a bow job.

The idea of Jack Garland as a bard instantly makes me think that all he'll do is just use his lute to bash everything El Kabong style. Being a bard's for people who can convey their feelings without only manly grunts. Jack is far too angry for that role.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bards absolutely should not be using bows, i am very upset that FF14 went down that path. Ranger is right there, bards can use a lute it’s fine

ASTs use a yu gi oh deck and a gyroscope it’s fine

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Grimthwacker posted:

The idea of Jack Garland as a bard instantly makes me think that all he'll do is just use his lute to bash everything El Kabong style. Being a bard's for people who can convey their feelings without only manly grunts. Jack is far too angry for that role.

The trailer very much conveys Jack has emotions other than angry at chaos. Trailer would have ended with Slayer or something and not Frank Sinatra if he was just mad.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I hope he gets to wear truly goofy poo poo please

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Yeah but it's My Way, the official anthem of entitled, one track minded assholes for almost 60 years now

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My napkin doodle idea for SMN in SoP is something like XI SMN, summon in a summon for a bar of MP, MP constantly drains as the summon is out, you can make it do abilities for more MP cost or its ultimate which desummons it, probably require BLM + RDM + something.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

jokes posted:

I hope he gets to wear truly goofy poo poo please

have you seen the lufenians

https://twitter.com/fforigin/status/1493646539549556742

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I had not and oh my god please let me wear that hat on Jack

make it like Revengeance where you wear the sombrero in a cutscene but can then just rock it all game

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

jokes posted:

Bards absolutely should not be using bows, i am very upset that FF14 went down that path. Ranger is right there, bards can use a lute it’s fine

ASTs use a yu gi oh deck and a gyroscope it’s fine

Pretty sure the reason Archer became Bard is because it's really hard to build a whole MMO moveset out of 'shoots good', you have to put some extra spin into that pitch. Which is also why we got Machinist instead of Musketeer.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I just really hope we can get Garland's full armor, I love that poo poo. And preferably his sword from Dissidia but I'll settle for the armor.

Also that it can be worn through NG+ (pretty sure they confirmed that?) so that it can be extra goofy facing Garland.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yeah but it's My Way, the official anthem of entitled, one track minded assholes for almost 60 years now

Missed opportunity by not using Limp Bizkit's "My Way"

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Flytrap posted:

I just really hope we can get Garland's full armor, I love that poo poo. And preferably his sword from Dissidia but I'll settle for the armor.

Also that it can be worn through NG+ (pretty sure they confirmed that?) so that it can be extra goofy facing Garland.

His sword is a pre-order bonus. Dunno about the armour though.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Leal posted:

Missed opportunity by not using Limp Bizkit's "My Way"
Bard Jack will sing both the Sinatra and Limp Bizkit versions

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
I dunno guys, just beat FF6PR and it seemed like much easier than my memory of the SNES version from 20+ years ago. Some of boss battles were just over before I knew it using dual casting Terra, 8x attack dual claw Sabin and so forth. Felt like getting up to 9999 dmg a hit was easy too.. maybe they revised some underlying calculations or something.

The dinosaurs and doomgaze though... Still the same assholes I remember.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

stev posted:

It's about time we had a Yakuza racing game tbqh

Skipped Yakuza 7? Or heck, 5?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The SoP combat definitely takes some getting used to, I think I'll mess with the control schemes because parry on circle seems kind of insane, I also feel like there's gotta be an easier way to switch up jobs than open menu -> select new job over current job, or at least some way to switch between more than two.

But on flipside I completely murdered Garland in three tries but then kept getting owned by the caged cat and random skeletons :shrug:

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Cleretic posted:

Pretty sure the reason Archer became Bard is because it's really hard to build a whole MMO moveset out of 'shoots good', you have to put some extra spin into that pitch. Which is also why we got Machinist instead of Musketeer.

ffxi had a class whose entire moveset was "shoot good" and another that was "shoots almost as good but also plays blackjack between shooting things good"

I mean personally I liked the archer -> bard choice for ffxiv but a physical ranged dps isn't a farfetched class design

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FFXI jobs were pretty bare bones though, especially the physical DPS. You just spent TP on a weaponskill and had a handful of abilities that usually had long cooldowns if they were any good. Ranger worked in XI because all it did was Barrage and Slugwinder. Relative to the other jobs that was both comparable DPS-wise and in terms of complexity.

e: if you were going to design Ranger for FFXIV or another game you would have to lean hard on the thing from FF5 where you summon forest animals and that would probably be pretty fun

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 11, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bard does 90% bow attacks in FF14 idk who in the world would pretend that there isn’t much to do wrt bows, every single MMO has a bow-based class. Final Fantasy is unique in that they have musical instruments as weapons going back as far as FF3, I should have been plucking strings at demons and slaying them in FF14

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cleretic posted:

We could have had Corsair again :mad:

e: Corsair in XI was this weird mishmash of Bard buffs except through an Astroligian-style gimmick except with dice instead of cards and also they have a gun and are pirates, it ruled

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 11, 2022

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
There were also points in 14, post-2.0 points even, where classes were supposed to give equippable skills (dealing with the 'RNG won't have enough buttons', but dropped due to balance complexity), jobs were supposed to be swappable specs for a more versatile class (dropped again for balance complexity, but still exists on the one pair that convinced them it was a bad idea doesn't it?), and where BRD was considered a healer spec for some purposes.

Wouldn't amaze me at all if the original plan was to implement RNG as the dps archer spec while moving BRD fully to healer, but the demands of dungeon finder-based play and all encounters designed for exactly 2 full healers per full party meant BRD couldn't move over gradually to make room or exist as a buffer before the idea of job as spec was killed completely.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 11, 2022

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

We could have had Corsair again :mad:

e: Corsair in XI was this weird mishmash of Bard buffs except through an Astroligian-style gimmick except with dice instead of cards and also they have a gun and are pirates, it ruled

Corsair was an absurdly unique class in so many ways and also really appealed to the idea of "people who play support classes would also like to make numbers happen once in a while instead of having their contributions be taken for granted"

I had zero interest in whm or brd but good lord was corsair fun. If you were fighting something piercing weak and a little bit on the lower end of levels you could even jump in with a rapier and swashbuckle. After red mages got relegated to the backlines square definitely got a better sense of how to make hybrid classes work when they got to BLU COR and DNC

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Chillgamesh posted:

FFXI jobs were pretty bare bones though, especially the physical DPS. You just spent TP on a weaponskill and had a handful of abilities that usually had long cooldowns if they were any good. Ranger worked in XI because all it did was Barrage and Slugwinder. Relative to the other jobs that was both comparable DPS-wise and in terms of complexity.

e: if you were going to design Ranger for FFXIV or another game you would have to lean hard on the thing from FF5 where you summon forest animals and that would probably be pretty fun

Honestly FFXI ranger and beastmaster should've just been one combined class

I'm still not sure I follow the thread that a pure bow shooting class wouldn't be able to reach an adequate level of complexity for ffxiv though, when I leveled Lancer the game seemed perfectly happy making me press the same three buttons in sequence for hours on end

One of the later mechanics introduced for rangers in ffxi was trying to stand in the ideal range for your weapon to maximize damage, that could easily be the driver for a pure bow shooting class in a faster paced game like xiv

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 11, 2022

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
RNG/BST would've been thematically nice, but hey speaking of balance nightmares. Needs high enough damage to justify that it's a forced consumable-spammer, but also low enough damage that you're not watching your bar forlornly waiting two minutes for your trained crab to build enough aggro to let you use a skill--and if your pet can out-aggro you going hard, you've just made one of the best raw DPS classes in the game (or why play it, given the costs?) also a tank class and de-facto a healing class on top of that (whether by direct heals on the pet or just grabbing a new one every time it dies.) Bad DPS and de facto mediocre tank/mediocre healer was uniquely busted enough in its own way.

Even WoW had a real hard time holding Hunters down before the removal of ammunition, and it had the "enforced boss mechanics pets couldn't do" and "pets requires heavy training investments" levers FF11 didn't.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Imagine SoP Beastmaster/Bard where Jack draws in woodland animals via the power of song.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Ibblebibble posted:

Imagine SoP Beastmaster/Bard where Jack draws in woodland animals via the power of song.

He cranks up the volume on Limp Bizkit and a rabbit jumps out to maul Chaos.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Apparently Normura wanted people to take this game's story seriously? If that's true why did he hand it off to some of the worst storytellers in the biz? Team Ninja make fun games but I think the most coherent plot they've ever done was DOA Volleyball

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Apparently Normura wanted people to take this game's story seriously? If that's true why did he hand it off to some of the worst storytellers in the biz? Team Ninja make fun games but I think the most coherent plot they've ever done was DOA Volleyball

Nomura also wants people to take Kingdom Hearts' story seriously, which should tell you all you need to know.

It's probably telling that he brought in the poor bastard who's spent volumes upon volumes trying to make sense of KH bullshit to turn it into novel form, to turn his SoP ideas into any kind of actual script.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

kh and nomura own

what doesn't own is people constantly acting like nomuras some heinous criminal mastermind wanting to destroy square forever by writing or w/e

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

both are fine imo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Booky posted:

kh and nomura own

what doesn't own is people constantly acting like nomuras some heinous criminal mastermind wanting to destroy square forever by writing or w/e

Remember that it was the other people on FF7 that wanted the whole party to get murked and nomura was like "maybe just one"

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Remember that it was the other people on FF7 that wanted the whole party to get murked and nomura was like "maybe just one"

aw yeah i heard that too, it sounds extremely funny (something about a lategame dungeon and the rest of the party that wasn't chosed would have all gotten murked?) but also im glad nomura had them go with Just One

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think everyone that didn't parachute into Midgard was supposed to die

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Finally a valid example of Nomura's flaws as a writer.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Gaius Marius posted:

I think everyone that didn't parachute into Midgard was supposed to die

A final game that was only Cloud, Cid and Vincent would have blown my mind as a teen

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mandoric posted:

RNG/BST would've been thematically nice, but hey speaking of balance nightmares. Needs high enough damage to justify that it's a forced consumable-spammer, but also low enough damage that you're not watching your bar forlornly waiting two minutes for your trained crab to build enough aggro to let you use a skill--and if your pet can out-aggro you going hard, you've just made one of the best raw DPS classes in the game (or why play it, given the costs?) also a tank class and de-facto a healing class on top of that (whether by direct heals on the pet or just grabbing a new one every time it dies.) Bad DPS and de facto mediocre tank/mediocre healer was uniquely busted enough in its own way.

Even WoW had a real hard time holding Hunters down before the removal of ammunition, and it had the "enforced boss mechanics pets couldn't do" and "pets requires heavy training investments" levers FF11 didn't.

Hear me out, combine the two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8gaMmwaEM0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Grimthwacker posted:

I could totally see Jack as a bard. Just more of a Nu Metal version. Think Limp Bizket meets Rage Against The Machine. The class's outfit could include a backwards baseball cap.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 11, 2022