Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
In response to the family recipe controversy: It isn't often that I can read a discussion of a culture that I actually belong to. Most of the time it is something I disagree with outside of what I grew up with, so I didn't have too much right to judge. In this case, family recipes ARE part my culture so I can happily say: THEY ARE BULLSHIT!

It makes me so happy to have the blanket of being able to say that is how it was where I grew up, and that it how it is where I live. Someone saying "but that is just my culture!" has no power with me in this circumstance. I can judge how I want!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Evil Willow posted:

Husband told me he's disappointed in me and regrets marrying me
Looks like someone just learned about negging. I wonder how it'll work out for him.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

:laffo:

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

my people's sacred chicken casserole

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Enough about the casserole, good lord

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Stick a fork in it, it's done

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for buying my toiletries on my mom’s card to teach her a lesson?

quote:

I would like to preface this story by saying that my mom claimed me as a dependent on her tax return in 2020, and claimed she and my dad had a hard year due to the pandemic. After a lengthy conversation, she apologized as she didn’t know how hard I struggled financially as well. Since I’m still in college, she can continue to claim me as a dependent until I’ve graduated for my bachelor’s degree, but she promised me that she would not do it again as I need the money more than she and my dad do.

Fast forward to now, I was filing my tax return the other night, and I noticed I was rejected on my claim for a return in exchange for my college expenses, such as my living fees, tuition, books, etc. I would’ve gotten a few thousand back, which I planned on putting towards the emergency loan I had to apply for so I wouldn’t be in major debt after my graduation.

I figured it couldn’t be that my mom claimed me as a dependent again because of our conversation we had about it in the previous year. Now, she and my dad are making well over 250k a year with commissions from their sales, so I didn’t think they needed it for financial reasons like they did during the start of Covid-19. I confronted my mom about it because I figured it doesn’t hurt to ask, and that’s when she told me that she did claim me as a dependent, and that she has a right to do so as my mom. I then explained to her what I planned on using it for and she basically told me “that’s not my problem. We needed that money more than you do.” I asked my dad about this and he flat out denied them needing the money. He said that they’re not in any kind of debt, and that he doesn’t understand why she did this again.

I went on our family’s joint Amazon account, and I decided to purchase my deodorant and shaving cream on my mom’s card to teach her a lesson about the importance of money and why that return meant a lot to me.

When she saw the charge, she was fuming at me for putting it on her card when I knew better. I clapped back and told her that the $15 I charged to her card was nothing in comparison to the money I would’ve received from the tax return. She bitterly told me not to do it again, and I refuse to talk to her now. So, AITA?

But Mom... I'm your dependent! I'm depending on you to buy me these things!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Vim Fuego posted:

Stick a fork in it, it's done

You rang?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Need to get a different fork, don’t know where this one’s been.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

AITA for buying my toiletries on my mom’s card to teach her a lesson?

Hmm, maybe the parents have a legitimate dependency claim, like they are paying OP's rent and living expenses...

quote:

*** edit *** My parents are not helping me financially. I’ve been paying for all of my needs since I was in high school. I’m also paying my way through college on my own. After reading the ESH responses, I decided to send my mom the money for the things I charged to her card as I felt guilty for using her money. After talking with my mom and mentioning that I would file a complaint with the IRS, she agreed to transfer the money that she got from the return when she claimed me as a dependent. Thank you guys for all the help!
The kid feels guilty for taking 15 bucks from mom, after the parents have been stealing the kid's deduction for years. :(

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

WIBTA if I sued my sister for the house that was willed to all three of us?

quote:

I (40M) recently lost my father (76M). I have two siblings, my twin brother and older sister (44). We all grew up together in my parents's house. It is a large multi story 5 bedroom house worth almost half a million dollars.

My father's will stated that his assets, cash, house, etc... were to be divided equally among the three of us. While in town for my father's funeral, I asked my siblings when a good time would be to meet up about putting the house on the market. My sister told me that there was no need, because my father had sold the house prior to his death.

I was confused, because he was still living in it. My sister went on to explain that my father had been sick for years and was deep in debt, so he'd needed to sell the house. Of course, with his health as poor as it was, that would be a complicated undertaking. So my sister and her husband bought the house with the understanding that he would continue living there for free.

I was flabbergasted. When my father died, he only had about 120K in liquid assets. Her story made no sense to me. I demanded details.

She said that the mortgage lender would only approve them for 375k, which is far less than the house is worth. My dad apparently spent the other 250k paying off his debts, paying for treatments and "maintaining his quality of life" as my sister put it. So basically she's telling me my inheritance is 40k and no more while she gets that + a house.

I called her a thief that took advantage of our father when he was vulnerable. She basically pocketed the difference in the value of the house out of my inheritance. She got really mad. She told me that she and her husband have been struggling to pay two mortgages for years while also raising four kids (not my kids, not my problem) and getting no income from the second house, but that was her CHOICE, and she got a house out of it. She started yelling at me and crying, so her husband intervened and took her away.

I turned to my brother for support, but he just shrugged and said he couldn't find it within him to care about a house after we just buried Dad. I miss Dad too, and I hate fighting with my sister, but what she did was wrong. I've reached out to a lawyer and am planning to sue my sister, but I'm nervous. I know this will permanently fracture my family. I just want what's rightfully mine, but is it worth blowing up my sister's life? AITA?

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Schmooze" them by giving them unsolicited, uninformed advice that doesn't take into account any information about their current fitness or any medical issues they might have, from across the room? The replies that are telling her to report this idiot to the gym have it right, the next time might result in a lawsuit when someone rips a tendon or something.

e: fb

Perhaps miss professional athlete doesn't look as professional as she thinks, having a hissy fit over a trainer offering advice is a bit over the top and I say this as a long
time gym rat who has been given unsolicited advice that I ignore without blowing up.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Evil Willow posted:

quote:

At this point I started drinking too; it really helped.

:hmmyes:

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

quantumwell posted:

Perhaps miss professional athlete doesn't look as professional as she thinks, having a hissy fit over a trainer offering advice is a bit over the top and I say this as a long
time gym rat who has been given unsolicited advice that I ignore without blowing up.

Are you also a woman?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
This ketchup is terrible, Where's the real tomato flavour?

Well sir I am a ketchup sommelier and I fully agree that this is a weak example of ketchup.

I would unironically want to see this play out in a restaurant before the chef comes out and kicks all their asses.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Evil Willow posted:

Didn't it come up earlier ITT that a lovely person can usually hide their shittiness for up to three years, but after that point it inevitably comes out?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for being upset a girl stole my boyfriends cheese technique?

quote:

Weird title I know, but it makes sense. My boyfriends a very talented chef, works in a Michelin star restaurant in Belgium, but when we were in hospitality school he would make sandwiches in the student kitchen and sell them as a nighttime snack.

They weren’t ordinary sandwiches, like I said he was a talented chef. There were 3 pieces of bread with garlic rubbed on them, homemade sauces and seasoning mixes and finished in the oven. the flavour always changed. One technique he perfect was heating mozzarella cheese so light and fluffy and seasoned that people kept confusing it with scrambled egg. People loved it and everyone always asked how he made it, but it was his secret recipe so he never told.

There was a girl and boy who always came down together to pick up the orders for them and their friends, and I knew the girl had asked my bf how he did it but he didn’t tell her.

We eventually graduated and went our seperate ways. Last night we were had dinner with the boy, and he told us that the girl had figured out the cheese technique, she even made an “orgasmic” sandwich using the same stuff my bf did: rubbing garlic in bread, mixing sauces and spices to make a new condiment, putting it in the oven, and yes, she did the cheese thing, one layer with melted slices and the other with “scrambled” cheese.

My bf was disappointed as it was his best kept secret, and I thought it was so bloody rude of her! Like she did she have to steal my bfs specialty, why couldn’t she come up with her own? She wasn’t even culinary what business did she have stewing his intellectual property?

I ranted about it on FB after the dinner and everyone laughed at me asking me if I was seriously gate keeping cheese and saying things about my bfs chef ego. I shut them down real fast as chef specialties are safe-guarded secrets in the industry.

But this afternoon my mom called saying she met up with friends and they asked her if everything is alright with my husband and I, mentally and financially. I told her nothing was wrong, we just felt robbed of something precious, and my mom told me to delete the post because I was embarrassing her as people were laughing about me.

I kind of don’t want to go to family dinner tomorrow night as I suspect everyone has benne talking about the cheese thing, but I don’t think I’m an rear end in a top hat for being mad some random girl stole my bfs cheese technique.

EDIT: ill delete the FB post, but ill still name and shame her to people who know about the sandwiches.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

sweet baby cheesus

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Invisible Clergy posted:

China, Japan, India, Germany, Norway...

Citation needed, and 2 of those are obviously western countries.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I think Seinfeld did an episode along these lines, but focusing on sexual techniques. In related news, you all need to forget about the clitoris, it devalues that I know about it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

keep punching joe posted:

This ketchup is terrible, Where's the real tomato flavour?

Well sir I am a ketchup sommelier and I fully agree that this is a weak example of ketchup.

I would unironically want to see this play out in a restaurant before the chef comes out and kicks all their asses.

Theres a mildly interesting article I read once about gourmet ketchup that isnt so interesting it can't be summarised in a paragraph:

Lots of entrepreneurs try to make a better ketchup than Heinz and its relatively easy to do so because Heinz has no real flavour, so there's lots of room for improvement. However, from another perspective there isn't, Heinz having no real flavour is why its the perfect ketchup. Its the balance of every flavour profile: salt, sweet, sour, bitter, umami that makes it fine on everything, which is why kids intuitively understand that new and unfamiliar foods can be made acceptable with ketchup. Gourmet ketchup looses its novelty super fast.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't even like the word casserole.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

SirSamVimes posted:

the value of a shitpost is exactly the same whether or not someone else cares about it

FTFY

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Are they making the mozzarella or cooking it a certain way? I'm confused and hungry

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Oh man that's spot on, Labs will see you eat something and know that is eternally edible now. I have to be careful they don't see me eat oranges etc off the trees or they'll start going for it. They already eat the aforementioned grapes but they also eat peaches, plums, pears and anything else that falls to the ground in the backyard.

Uh, I'm not sure you know this but grapes are toxic to dogs. Like sudden renal failure toxic. I wouldn't panic if they were a big lab and ate 1 grape but lots of grapes over time? That's really not good for your dog's kidneys.

I know labs eat loving everything but I work in a vet ER and we always recommend vomit induction if possible and blood work for ingestion of even one grape/raisin just because of the potential kidney damage.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

thotsky posted:

I think Seinfeld did an episode along these lines, but focusing on sexual techniques. In related news, you all need to forget about the clitoris, it devalues that I know about it.
username/post combo

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

massive spider posted:

Theres a mildly interesting article I read once about gourmet ketchup that isnt so interesting it can't be summarised in a paragraph:

Lots of entrepreneurs try to make a better ketchup than Heinz and its relatively easy to do so because Heinz has no real flavour, so there's lots of room for improvement. However, from another perspective there isn't, Heinz having no real flavour is why its the perfect ketchup. Its the balance of every flavour profile: salt, sweet, sour, bitter, umami that makes it fine on everything, which is why kids intuitively understand that new and unfamiliar foods can be made acceptable with ketchup. Gourmet ketchup looses its novelty super fast.

I think it was this one for anyone who wants additional detail.

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.
Secret family recipes are old news; world famous family recipes are where it’s at. My mum makes world famous rissoles, my dad makes world famous vegemite toast and I tell my kids my fried rice is world famous. They like to discuss what their world famous recipe is going be :v:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Junius posted:

Secret family recipes are old news; world famous family recipes are where it’s at. My mum makes world famous rissoles, my dad makes world famous vegemite toast and I tell my kids my fried rice is world famous. They like to discuss what their world famous recipe is going be :v:

Fairy Bread

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

quantumwell posted:

What the gently caress is this take I’m not even a chick and I get more unsolicited advice from weirdos than I want in “regular” gyms.

If you’re such a “gym rat” post your gains or vid lol I’m calling bullshit

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Mx. posted:

WIBTA if I sued my sister for the house that was willed to all three of us?

So... Sister bought the house years ago for $375, and OP feels like he's been ripped off because now it's worth something in the high $400s after a nationwide spike in home values? She may have gotten a good price on it, but it's not uncommon for folks to sell at a discount to family even when "a free place to live for the rest of your life" isn't part of the deal. And that raise in value seems pretty in line with what's gone on in the housing market. If their dad couldn't afford to keep the house, it would have been sold to a stranger anyway, and the following years of rent payments (on top of the debt, medical costs, etc.) also would have made a noticeable dent in OP's inheritance.

If there's a reason to suspect that their father had some kind of diminished capacity at the time of the sale, then sure, look into that. But at first glance it sounds like the sister took on the strain of a second mortgage to keep dad comfortable at home in his final years, and now OP's all outraged over not getting a third of whatever the price difference is between the home's market value at the time of the sale and $375 + years of property tax and upkeep.

I could see OP thinking that he should have been told at the time that all this happened, but that depends on what kind of relationship he had with his father. My family is all up in each other's business about things like that, so if I wasn't told about a house sale, that would be a big red flag. If OP and his dad had that level of openness, OP would have mentioned that to support his argument though. Instead he was happy to let the sister who stayed nearby handle the day-to-day effort of supporting their dad only to swoop in at the funeral and criticize the way things were handled while he was checked out.

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.

No poo poo, the last world famous recipe suggestion I heard from the middle one was, “fairy bread but the butter is Nutella.”

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Junius posted:

No poo poo, the last world famous recipe suggestion I heard from the middle one was, “fairy bread but the butter is Nutella.”

Destined for culinary school, that one.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If someone tells you something is a secret family recipe they'll probably get mad at you and feel betrayed if you copy it and start sharing it around. Whether or not that bothers you is a personal question. Seems simple enough. Basic human interaction kind of stuff. If chicken casserole is beneath your consideration try mentally swapping it with a dish you consider more worthy.

Junius posted:

Let me tell you about my world famous chili and how it's very distinct from my ten coworkers' world famous chilis.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 11, 2022

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Some mediocre dude with delusions of fitness grandeur is arguing the pro offering women unsolicited advice in the gym and you guys are still talking about secret family recipes and poo poo comon people this is a much funnier derail

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

deety posted:

So... Sister bought the house years ago for $375, and OP feels like he's been ripped off because now it's worth something in the high $400s after a nationwide spike in home values? She may have gotten a good price on it, but it's not uncommon for folks to sell at a discount to family even when "a free place to live for the rest of your life" isn't part of the deal. And that raise in value seems pretty in line with what's gone on in the housing market. If their dad couldn't afford to keep the house, it would have been sold to a stranger anyway, and the following years of rent payments (on top of the debt, medical costs, etc.) also would have made a noticeable dent in OP's inheritance.

If there's a reason to suspect that their father had some kind of diminished capacity at the time of the sale, then sure, look into that. But at first glance it sounds like the sister took on the strain of a second mortgage to keep dad comfortable at home in his final years, and now OP's all outraged over not getting a third of whatever the price difference is between the home's market value at the time of the sale and $375 + years of property tax and upkeep.

I could see OP thinking that he should have been told at the time that all this happened, but that depends on what kind of relationship he had with his father. My family is all up in each other's business about things like that, so if I wasn't told about a house sale, that would be a big red flag. If OP and his dad had that level of openness, OP would have mentioned that to support his argument though. Instead he was happy to let the sister who stayed nearby handle the day-to-day effort of supporting their dad only to swoop in at the funeral and criticize the way things were handled while he was checked out.

Yeah it’s something that in my family I would’ve wanted to know about, but I can see why they didn’t tell him from what he’s doing now. I don’t know why inheritance brings out the worst in everyone.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Some mediocre dude with delusions of fitness grandeur is arguing the pro offering women unsolicited advice in the gym and you guys are still talking about secret family recipes and poo poo comon people this is a much funnier derail

You know, I think smegma mail is faster than snail mail because it shows up over night

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

We get there quickly to make things sticky that’s the promise

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

edit: didn't read the entire thread before casserole posting. Still a really loving weird hill to die on!

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

quantumwell posted:

If a trainer can't tell someone has been a professional athlete for years they are terrible at their job. Also you seem weirdly angry at this woman.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Hey they said they are a "long time gym rat.". That is definitely the equivalent of an actual pro athlete

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 11, 2022