Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

I like the scene where she murdered everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
*ahem* please, pay no attention to the sinister statuette of the faceless bloody handed child.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

For posterity, since the embed doesn’t seem to be rendering the hashtag images:

Look at that little snake and tree!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like floating , angry pumpkin snake deep throating a Sue tree and getting electric powers is a boss I haven't run into yet in Elden Ring

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ugh I can't enter the competition but everyone here who can should

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So this episode basically spells out that Sol is definitely manipulating a bunch of events to make the space snake and probably plans to take it over. idk why it wants to destroy the planet though. Also I'm not sure if it means physically destroy the planet or just make it uninhabitable for life / humans.

I feel like Grandmother isn't going to be good. They made a point to mention that Androids lie and there's also all the giant snake bones around the place

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So that just happened!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CODChimera posted:

I feel like Grandmother isn't going to be good. They made a point to mention that Androids lie and there's also all the giant snake bones around the place

I got the same vibe. The way she told Mother about how easily she could remove her veil was definitely creepy.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I love that every week I start this show knowing full well it's going to be loving crazy, and it STILL doesn't disappoint.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Are there more of those seedboxes or was that the only one found? It seems like they found it so casually for something that important.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

frogbs posted:

I love that every week I start this show knowing full well it's going to be loving crazy, and it STILL doesn't disappoint.

I love it. I would never have predicted lionfish form snake but it was everything I needed.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Why was the fish lady breast feeding the baby.

Do they only reproduce from fresh humans. Who was the human turned into a creature. Is the dead kid girl from season 1 alive. Is Marcus now an anti hero. Why is Campion a lovely character.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Knowing how stubborn Campion is, even though Vrille's speakerphone warranty alert kicked in and warned him about her becoming hazardous, the next we see of him, he'll probably be lugging her back to camp in a wheelbarrow, ala Trashcan Man from The Stand, with his hair and skin falling apart.

"It's okay, everybody! We can fix her! Grandmother will know a way!"

*pukes blood all over*

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Why do people here Campion? I think he's fantastic. This show is so loving great.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

redreader posted:

Why do people here Campion? I think he's fantastic. This show is so loving great.

S1 campion's entire character was being weak and whiny and needing nurturing

Its kind of symptomatic of this show where everything is a blatant metaphor or allegory with little nuance, but then still doesn't quite make sense.

Its an amazing spectacle and I love it, but it really seems like they trimmed 10 really important minutes out of each episode

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 11, 2022

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
This season is entertaining but drat I have no idea what any of the characters motivations are. They're just... doing stuff.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
"Mommy, where do babies come from?"

"Well...when a mommy and daddy love each other very much, they implant their genetic material into a milky robot and fire it off to a distant planet where the milky robot produces 7 babies, one of which is a giant, flying snake that eats a tree that used to be a fake mommy with a stolen face and then the snake grows a bunch of tentacles and causes lightning storms and tries to kill a planet and their brother."

"And that's where I came from?"

"No, you were a rape-baby that got kidnapped by a horrifying mermaid from an acid-ocean who put you in her belly and then took you to a dank cave to suckle you before getting shot in the head."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I got the same vibe. The way she told Mother about how easily she could remove her veil was definitely creepy.
She didn't say it would be easy to remove, she said it would be "no more difficult" than for Mother to wear it. Which means it's going to be awful.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Technocrats. So history is repeating itself?

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Snake-sue has evolved to her final form, weaponized, and Father takes another knock to the head with no repercussions. I love this stupid show.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

"It was..... delayed self-defense" was absolutely the line of the episode for me. Every now and then I forget this show is a comedy and then they smack me in the face with a moment like that.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Ninurta posted:

Snake-sue has evolved to her final form, weaponized, and Father takes another knock to the head with no repercussions. I love this stupid show.

I really hope the series ends with Father as Marvin from hhgttg. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Martman posted:

"It was..... delayed self-defense" was absolutely the line of the episode for me. Every now and then I forget this show is a comedy and then they smack me in the face with a moment like that.

I mean, she wasn't wrong. They would have absolutely murdererd her on sight. Once a charismatic cult leader declares their explicit intent to murder you, in a post-apocalyptic hellscape killing him and his cult follwers including someone who has already attempted to murder you, can be self defense.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 11, 2022

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Slamhound posted:

"Mommy, where do babies come from?"

"Well...when a mommy and daddy love each other very much, they implant their genetic material into a milky robot and fire it off to a distant planet where the milky robot produces 7 babies, one of which is a giant, flying snake that eats a tree that used to be a fake mommy with a stolen face and then the snake grows a bunch of tentacles and causes lightning storms and tries to kill a planet and their brother."

"And that's where I came from?"

"No, you were a rape-baby that got kidnapped by a horrifying mermaid from an acid-ocean who put you in her belly and then took you to a dank cave to suckle you before getting shot in the head."

...and what do you call that act?

SirPablo posted:

Technocrats[!]

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

pile of brown posted:

I mean, she wasn't wrong. They would have absolutely murdererd her on sight. Once a charismatic cult leader declares their explicit intent to murder you, in a post-apocalyptic hellscape killing him and his cult follwers including someone who has already attempted to murder you, can be self defense.
I don't disagree her actions were justified, but that would still just make it regular self-defense! Or, especially early self-defense. "Delayed self-defense" is the robot coming up with a lovely excuse on the spot and it's hilarious, and just a great moment.

Oh btw, apparently this is already the second round of that Twitter contest. They're gonna be doing a couple more drawings for "first prizes" i.e. the Vrille figure, and then drawings for the grand prize, a Raised by Wolves branded Oculus Quest 2, from 3/17 to 3/20. Normally I don't follow stuff like this but between this show being insanely cool, and the Twitter engagement seeming small enough, it seems worth entering some of these. I would proudly display the murderbot figure at home.

Martman fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 11, 2022

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Martman posted:

I don't disagree her actions were justified, but that would still just make it regular self-defense! Or, especially early self-defense. "Delayed self-defense" is the robot coming up with a lovely excuse on the spot and it's hilarious, and just a great moment.

Oh btw, apparently this is already the second round of that Twitter contest. They're gonna be doing a couple more drawings for "first prizes" i.e. the Vrille figure, and then drawings for the grand prize, a Raised by Wolves branded Oculus Quest 2, from 3/17 to 3/20. Normally I don't follow stuff like this but between this show being insanely cool, and the Twitter engagement seeming small enough, it seems worth entering some of these. I would proudly display the murderbot figure at home.

I agree that its its smirky, but I think the smirk is for the audience, not the characters. It's awkward that vrille would say that and nobody would react if it was important

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I'm still surprised none of the characters seem even slightly perturbed that the planet they landed on HAS THREE DIFFERENT SENTIENT SPECIES OF HUMANOIDS and ANDROIDS EXTREMELY SIMILAR to the ones they brought from Earth. I get why the Mithraics accept it all as Sol's plan but even the atheists don't seem to care all that much.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This show is loving wack.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I can't remember how many times I just yelled "WHAT THE gently caress" at the screen during this episode.

This show loving rules.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

lynch_69 posted:

I'm still surprised none of the characters seem even slightly perturbed that the planet they landed on HAS THREE DIFFERENT SENTIENT SPECIES OF HUMANOIDS and ANDROIDS EXTREMELY SIMILAR to the ones they brought from Earth. I get why the Mithraics accept it all as Sol's plan but even the atheists don't seem to care all that much.

To be fair, they mostly seem distracted by the cult, starvation and killer fauna to do anything more constructive.

Not that most of them have even encountered any aliens that aren't mermaids or snakes (and the people who have aren't in a position to do much telling about it).

Edit: they also spent some time early this season talking about how the surviving Atheists aren't actually that skilled or capable -- Sue was instantly promoted to be their doctor, for instance, and Nerva was kept around as their head engineer for a long time, despite being a known traitor. These people aren't particularly capable, they're struggling to just stay above water.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 11, 2022

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

it feels like we're getting dangerously close to knowing "whats going on" so I think there's gonna be at least one game changer in the season finale

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

Gaj posted:

Do they only reproduce from fresh humans. Who was the human turned into a creature. Is the dead kid girl from season 1 alive. Is Marcus now an anti hero. Why is Campion a lovely character.

I felt that the mermaid lost her child soon after child birth as seen in the cave. So that gave the mermaid the motivation to steal tempests baby. But then I think about the time frame and throw my hands up in the air

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Weebly posted:

I felt that the mermaid lost her child soon after child birth as seen in the cave. So that gave the mermaid the motivation to steal tempests baby. But then I think about the time frame and throw my hands up in the air

Huh, I hadn't thought of that.

I still think it's weird that Grandmother knew about the mermaid before it happened though.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I love this show so much, but the fact that they have not been renewed yet is really depressing. It doesn't look good at this point :(

Plot wise everything seems to be falling into places now. I think the one plot point the show has not explored yet is how the first humans and neanderthals were brought to Kepler and by whom.

Whatever script Vrille used to carve into that tree didn't look like anything modern. Does this confirm that they are not actually speaking English?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Open Source Idiom posted:

This doesn't track. Sol influences Paul to shoot Mary so as to keep her out of the way when the snake baby is born. They're the same force.

Looks like you're correct here. There is but one signal/entity, and it's Sol. It does look like there was some sort of resistance to him among the "natives" since the latest prophecy card was a warning about not letting the tree-snake happen.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Gaj posted:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Huh, I hadn't thought of that.

I still think it's weird that Grandmother knew about the mermaid before it happened though.

the mermaid lost her child and was sad, so she stole the human baby. grandmother knew about the mermaids because the mermaids and the underground men are some sort of evolved humans, who were forced into the ocean and underground because of something that happened on the surface. the mermaid breastfeeding the human baby scene was there to show you that the mermaids are close enough to humans that they produce milk and recognize human babies as close to their own, so that you make the connection between the ancient humans grandmother mentions and the mermaids

ever wonder why the land is the only place where there arent really any humanoids or other large animals? its because something wiped them out and the survivors fled into the oceans, undergrounds, and to earth. and grandmother probably had a hand in turning them into weird monster creatures and that's probably what she meant by her creepy "do what's best for the humans" thing.

my other guess is that "sol" is an ai that's basically the previous version of "the trust" that all the athiests were following in the beginning of season 2. the previous war between mithraics and athiests mentioned by grandmother was actually a war between people who broke away and decided NOT to follow the ai and everyone else, and the ancient athiests were the ones who fled to and populated earth. the ancient mithraics stuck around and got turned into mermaids and molemen by grandmother and her coworkers

e: i havent read anything in this thread other than this very page right now so excuse me if im re-treading something

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 11, 2022

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
This was the second time we've seen the humanoids are procreating. The beast they killed in S1 for food was pregnant. It was even Tempest that discovered it was a mother.

Grandmother is obviously going to be bad news. She's got Skynet vibes.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if Mother's necromorph skin is acid proof

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

fart simpson posted:

Theorycrafting

I agree with the contours of this, I really hope they don't use Grandmother as a lore dump in the season finale. So far the show has been pretty good at flirting with familiar archetypes and then subverting expectations. For example (episode 6 and 7 spoilers), we have the serpent and what we assume to be the tree of knowledge. But guess what bitch, humans are just the pollinators on this planet, as low as the common honeybee, the brain pomegranate is for the snake! Humans destroyed heaven, have now fallen into hell, and the devil is dabbing on them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This is good. All the wacky pieces are fitting together. Maybe the cylons Ridley Scott does have a plan after all!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This is good. All the wacky pieces are fitting together. Maybe the cylons Ridley Scott does have a plan after all!

yeah this last episode was the point when i finally felt like i can see how the puzzle pieces are fitting together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
That brief talk between mom and grandma was a gargantuan lore dump.

- The atheist / mithraic conflict started with ancient humans on kepler and resumed on earth due to the mithraic transmission.
- Ancient technocrat atheists created grandma droids to preserve humanity against the (presumably) death cult snake worshippers
- Grandma's priority is to "preserve humanity"
- Sol wants to destroy Kepler for reasons unknown, according to grandma
- Grandma's veil prevents caregiving impulses and she's giving it to mother oh no oh poo poo

So it seems clear to me that:

Grandma robots are responsible for the devolution of humans on this planet as a preservation mechanism against Sol. Better to have humanity continue as murder apes and acid mermaids than complete extinction i guess? Perhaps the acid mermaid took the baby because it remembers being human in some terrible way?