Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Radiapathy posted:

While testing out the Roland PMA-5 I bought I discovered that it had not been initialized to factory settings, so it still had some user-created songs on it. Most of them were very simple single-instrument melodies, but one of them was this endearingly cheesy 80s/90s-late-night-talk-show-theme-style track. I don't know whether the prior owner composed it themselves, but I recorded it for posterity before I wipe the device clean.

Roland PMA-5 Song02

Also, it appears that SoundCloud quickly fades tracks in, instead of playing them at full volume? The WAV plays exactly as intended locally, but SoundCloud is gobbling up the first note of the song. :( Gotta remember that for future uploads.

LOL NICE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Radiapathy posted:

While testing out the Roland PMA-5 I bought I discovered that it had not been initialized to factory settings, so it still had some user-created songs on it. Most of them were very simple single-instrument melodies, but one of them was this endearingly cheesy 80s/90s-late-night-talk-show-theme-style track. I don't know whether the prior owner composed it themselves, but I recorded it for posterity before I wipe the device clean.

Roland PMA-5 Song02

That's very Lenocore.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
PO-35 go hooooonk. DJs are going to be buying them like crazy once they figure this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIwtqcLIw38

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

junglist truly massive

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Eurorack easy listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykm59l0vAlI

Using Ornament & Crime's CopierMaschine app as a sequencer and quantizer.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I think I finally integrated that less is more and how to make proper techno. No need for a melody, no need for many drums. Only focusing on a few elements to keep them interesting despite the repetition. Mangrove is being modulated by the DPO over FM and Barrel, Chainsaw is providing some supersaw, SSF Ultra Kick and WMD Crucible for drums and Meris Polymoon for the FX. Much less instruments means more time spent on each one, and less competition in the mix. Can't believe it took me so long to integrate it even if I knew I had to do it.

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/discord

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I think I finally integrated that less is more and how to make proper techno. No need for a melody, no need for many drums. Only focusing on a few elements to keep them interesting despite the repetition. Mangrove is being modulated by the DPO over FM and Barrel, Chainsaw is providing some supersaw, SSF Ultra Kick and WMD Crucible for drums and Meris Polymoon for the FX. Much less instruments means more time spent on each one, and less competition in the mix. Can't believe it took me so long to integrate it even if I knew I had to do it.

snorch posted:

PO-35 go hooooonk. DJs are going to be buying them like crazy once they figure this out.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Eurorack easy listening.

Really nice work guys. I've gotta put the default firmware back on my o_c and give it another shot.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Just popping ITT ATM to moan & whine about UPS and international shipping (while also failing my synth goon duties to get back to RocketMermaid with a decent answer re: NerdSEQ; apologies, I haven't made time yet to take some helpful pictures...).

With any luck, the gear I bought will make it here through customs again and actually get to the U.S. this time...

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Really nice goat and rodwhofarted

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

snorch posted:

Nice!

and to SpaceGoat and Rod as well!

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Anyone have any general advice or knowledge about running modular synths/eurorack to an amp for recording purposes? Obviously the level has to be lowered, are there any methods to doing that which get better results than others?

I would also appreciate any recommendations on artists who have recorded like this. I've heard some stuff I've suspected was recorded in this way, I think I heard the 2016 Doom soundtrack had some of this.

And there's always this guy
https://youtu.be/IcYKKhqPZ4k

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For Doom, he fed the audio through a practice amp, the cheap ones with a belt clip. He doesn't explain the details of the setup but I assume a line level output module was in his rack. He also put a mic on it and fed it back into the amp for some feedback.

Then it went into a side chained compressor to manage the horror that signal path was generating.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

ricecult posted:

Anyone have any general advice or knowledge about running modular synths/eurorack to an amp for recording purposes? Obviously the level has to be lowered, are there any methods to doing that which get better results than others?

I would also appreciate any recommendations on artists who have recorded like this. I've heard some stuff I've suspected was recorded in this way, I think I heard the 2016 Doom soundtrack had some of this.

Strymon aa.1 is a eurorack --> guitar pedal attenuator but there are many other modules like this to send eurorack signals to line/instrument levels.

e: this guy ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v638VWMPzs

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 10, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

xzzy posted:

For Doom, he fed the audio through a practice amp, the cheap ones with a belt clip. He doesn't explain the details of the setup but I assume a line level output module was in his rack. He also put a mic on it and fed it back into the amp for some feedback.

Then it went into a side chained compressor to manage the horror that signal path was generating.

That’s cool. I think I’m gonna do some mixer as an instrument patching this weekend. I have a Yamaha mixer that’s not getting used right now

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I love finding stuff like this:

Front, "Old Spanish Favorites played in an exciting new way":

Back:

The writing on the back may give some idea of the then-current state of synth use.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 10, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

That’s cool. I think I’m gonna do some mixer as an instrument patching this weekend. I have a Yamaha mixer that’s not getting used right now

I assume it's been linked in here a billion times, but once more for the love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNBMZsqrY

He actually has four paths going to generate that amazing noise from a single sine wave. In this particular example he relies heavily on (extremely expensive) guitar pedal effects but there's other clips floating around of him doing a lot of eurorack stuff.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

lol I thought you were talking about MF Doom

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

xzzy posted:

I assume it's been linked in here a billion times, but once more for the love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNBMZsqrY

He actually has four paths going to generate that amazing noise from a single sine wave. In this particular example he relies heavily on (extremely expensive) guitar pedal effects but there's other clips floating around of him doing a lot of eurorack stuff.

Every time I watch that video...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Eurorack easy listening.

Wow. This is incredibly my poo poo. Please keep making more and posting it.

What a good page. I love when you all post your beeps.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Rolo posted:

Wow. This is incredibly my poo poo. Please keep making more and posting it.

What a good page. I love when you all post your beeps.

Thank you. I just ordered a Befaco Joystick and Even VCO, so… STAY TUNED!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Thank you. I just ordered a Befaco Joystick and Even VCO, so… STAY TUNED!

How did you get started with euro? I shouldn’t even be asking but I would love to be able to throw stuff like that together with a nice cup of tea on a rainy day :coal:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

petit choux posted:

lol I thought you were talking about MF Doom

I did too I had to reread the whole thread lol

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Rolo posted:

How did you get started with euro? I shouldn’t even be asking but I would love to be able to throw stuff like that together with a nice cup of tea on a rainy day :coal:

It’s only been a year! It’s something I’ve been looking at lustfully since around 2006. Last year, I hit 40 and Behringer just started releasing their Arp 2500 clone modules, and so I was like, “This… this is what I’m into now. This is my midlife crisis.” I got to use an Arp 2500 in college, so my “what would you do if you won the lottery,” dream was owning an Arp 2500.

In looking for info about the Arp 2500 modules, I found the Molten Music YouTube channel, and after watching his Arp 2500 videos, the algorithm started recommending his other videos, which included his DIY videos, a lot of them building Befaco kits. I had experience soldering, and in 2007 I had built a Paia 9700s kit. Plus, I found a lot of Befaco modules to just be functionally cooler than the Arp 2500 modules.

So I got a 104hp Moog case, and a 4ms Row Power 35 supply, and wanted to start out using my Paia 9700s so I didn’t have to get an oscillator/filter right away. I decided my first module should be an effect, so I could use it with all my current gear.

At the time, all the diy kits I wanted were out of stock in the U.S. due to supply chain stuff, so I decided to look for used modules under $100. For some reason, I decided to get a used Recovery Effects Bad Comrade. It gets advertised as a fuzz/glitch/delay, and I thought it’d do those things discretely, but it’s really all of the above at once. And you can’t really control it. There’s a “Mix” cv input that doesn’t actually control the mix, and is more like a second input. It’s a mess, but I keep using it because I like distortion and chaos. (Check out the DivKid video on it, I had to watch it a few times to confirm mine wasn’t broken or something.)

A few weeks later, I decided it was time for another module, and I needed VCAs, because I had watched mylarmelodies “You can never have too many VCAs,” video. I got the Doepfer dual Exp/Lin VCA for about $100.

So I started out with those two eurorack modules, plus my Paia 9700s, plus running things out and in my audio interface (an old MOTU 828 mk 2). It wasn’t until last July that things came back in stock, so having farted around with just a VCA and an effect, I decided I needed an ADSR (to control the VCA) and an Output, so I ordered the Befaco versions of each. And I impulse bought a Zlob Triple Cap Chaos kit because it was only $45.

Right after I ordered the kits, I decided to order a Hakko digital soldering station, because 1) my 20 year old iron was always poo poo (25w, no temperature control - do not ever use this type of iron), and 2) if I’m spending over $100 per kit for some of these kits, then it’s not out of line to spend $100 on a good soldering iron. That has been one of my rare good decisions in all this.

So yeah, from there every month or two, I spend about $200 on kits or something. I upgraded to a TipTop Mantis case in October. I started doing SMT stuff in January. I blew up an expensive Rings kit, and then spent more than that redoing it. (Ended up spending at least as much as a brand new Mutable Instruments Rings module at retail when it was all said and done.)

Overall, I’m glad I did it. I enjoy the soldering/building part of it, and I’m making more music in the past year than I did in the previous decade. If we have to die in a nuclear explosion tomorrow, I’m glad I spent my last year doing this instead of regretting not doing it.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Rolo posted:

Not who you asked but for me, several years ago I got laid off and realized I had time but not (much) money, bought some kits from a local manufacturer and started building.

MW was better then but the B/S/T forum always had cheap cases, so I bought someone's old powered skiff (because I didn't understand that having exposed pcbs in back doesn't really matter, now my cases are just rails and ears) (skiff is a single row shallow-ish case usually with its own power supply)

I grabbed a synth voice (in pieces), a delay, and a generative sequencer. I had previously soldered 1 big muff clone, and revived a dead MIDIVerb. I really try not to buy anything I can't build, which has for example resulted in me passing on several Maths because I have a DUSG pcb/panel and most of the parts in a box somewhere.

The biggest advice I can give for modular DIY is a.) learn to troubleshoot your issues ASAP & b.) start with a well-supported project, which makes a easier. I bought a module tester clone kit from Synthcube before any modules and ended up teaching myself how power, circuit tracing, etc stuff worked enough that I could do what I needed to with a multimeter before I got even a response from them... because I went back to the store I bought the kits at and insisted they tell me how to fix it myself.

AI Synthesis is who I'd reccomend these days for this kind of thing - Abe rules and is very much committed to putting out easy to build hard to outgrow kits for learners. And a lot of them are fairly common circuits so on the off chance you don't get support from them directly you can just google someone else's version and see what they have in common.

e: YES on the hakko, if you value your time at all it'll pay for itself in a kit or two. Just easier to not have problems in the first place with better tools.

Also figure out how to fill BOMs as soon as possible.

ricecult posted:

I haven't recorded yet but I picked up a solid state Fender with this in mind earlier in the year. There are stepdown modules (Strymon's is very hp-efficient but priced higher than most) but an attenuator is perfectly adequate. For extra safety get a limiter (like a dbx166 or something) for peaks and probably an EQ (mostly for errant bass).

No specific artists are coming to mind rn but I have listened to a bunch of jazz fusion concerts over the past year or two and the ones with weirder key/synth setups, it seems like its 50-50 them doing line/DI vs a guitar amp.

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 11, 2022

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Watching that Doom music Ted talk has made me consider eurorack but having one that's only like a single oscillator and a bunch of lfos/envelopes and effects modules. Is this something that isn't really done?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

net work error posted:

Watching that Doom music Ted talk has made me consider eurorack but having one that's only like a single oscillator and a bunch of lfos/envelopes and effects modules. Is this something that isn't really done?

Sure. You can pretty much do whatever you want in Eurorack. Some people do nothing but effects for their guitar. It’s really all about what you want to build.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

net work error posted:

I’m sorry, you are now a Buchla student. I’ll send flowers.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

xzzy posted:

I’m sorry, you are now a Buchla student. I’ll send flowers.

I looked up the tip top buchla prices and promptly decided I am not.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

net work error posted:

Yeah, I also do not like the width. Same with the Arp 2500 modules, just too much CHONK for what they are.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

net work error posted:

A partial sort of solution can be found with a volca modular and bastl kastle.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

net work error posted:

If you listen to the introduction of the track I just posted here, it's basically that. A single VCO modulated by a bunch of lfos and sent into a guitar pedal delay. No melody, not even an envelope. Of course I added a kick, some hats and a bass but you get the idea, it's easily done

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

buzzfeed calling the OP-1 a "little baby synth". I remember making this point before.

duplo block key cow tools rear end sampler

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

JamesKPolk posted:

buzzfeed calling the OP-1 a "little baby synth". I remember making this point before.

:lol: that thing is $1200

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Love my little baby synth that people get very mad about.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This either gonna make it way easier or way harder to get an OP-1 once my tax return comes in.

In the mean time I picked up a PO-16 and I’m having fun playing around with it and making little
ditties that I can then record to a tape for posterity.

Might pick up the KO and sync them for sampling fun, any others that would compliment them well? I’m thinking maybe a Rhythm for drums.

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 11, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

JamesKPolk posted:

What is a Grimes or X and what does taking after his month mean. I’m assuming rich idiot gibberish?

Also I like my baby synth! I travel for work and it’s a fun thing to throw in my travel bag.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rolo posted:

What is a Grimes or X and what does taking after his month mean. I’m assuming rich idiot gibberish?

Also I like my baby synth! I travel for work and it’s a fun thing to throw in my travel bag.

I assume it's just a typo for mom/mother

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Pretty big Koala Sampler update today. Looks like you can midi map sample start/end.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Coffee And Pie posted:

This either gonna make it way easier or way harder to get an OP-1 once my tax return comes in.

In the mean time I picked up a PO-16 and I’m having fun playing around with it and making little
ditties that I can then record to a tape for posterity.

Might pick up the KO and sync them for sampling fun, any others that would compliment them well? I’m thinking maybe a Rhythm for drums.

PO-12 rhythm is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Danger - Octopus! posted:

PO-12 rhythm is great.

I doubt you can go wrong. I'd say get the sub so you have a dedicated bass line. They're also one of the cheaper ones, if that's an issue at all. If you happen to have Microtoniq, you should get the Tonic. In fact, if you can get both, Microtoniq is a decent way to go. You can create or download as many beats as you like on the soft version and then put them on the Tonic. Only thing is the sofware has a lot of voices and the PO does not.