Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Ingmar terdman posted:

Didnt they? I swear they set that up with glover's lando teasing him or something

See this I was OK with. Lando just says it wrong to Han's face, he's aware that it's wrong, and he just does it for whatever reason (assumed to be giving Han a hard time). That's fine. Could have not happened at all and been fine, too. It's very unlikely that any further discussion about it would be satisfying at all.

the "it had to be explained" just seems like a joke, but I know it's not. All of these comments just show how utterly devoid of creativity the writing was since loving everything is a reference to something else. Luckily Star Wars has trained me to block this knowledge out in order to extract whatever possible enjoyment I can from the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

If my dad wrote Empire, Raiders, and the Big Chill I'd probably be convinced I could write a movie too

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I was listening to a podcast where Jake Kasdan was a guest and someone mentioned how he was like 23 when he directed his first movie and he said something to the effect of 'I don't know why they let me do that' and like dude your dad wrote a star wars and raiders of the lost ark, why are you surprised you were given more opportunity than 99% of people, gimme a break. It's like Spielberg's kid saying they worked as hard as everyone else to get a directing job.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
no one lacks self awareness quite like someone born with a silver spoon in their mouth

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I figured Obi-Wan wanted Vader to show up, just not anybody else, so deliberately left clues that only Anakin would understand.

Shmi Skywalker lived on a planet where people have names like Darklighter and Moonbreaker, so it isn't very attention-grabbing on its own. Sharing surnames with a couple of dead Jedi from the war is just trivia, except to the rare person who knows enough secrets to infer what it means for an old man named Kenobi and a young man (or woman!) named Skywalker to be in close proximity.

I guess this show is taking a different approach, however.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'd just figured that in Luke's teens at some point a dialogue like this happened:

quote:

LUKE: What's Old Ben's last name?

OWEN: Why do you wanna know?

LUKE: Why don't you wanna tell me?

OWEN: [tries to think of a lie, but he's flustered and Luke is already suspicious so he gives up] uh, Kenobi

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I hope the obi/ani meetups have some actual writing and not just dumbass quotes

Between ROS Sheev and Booka Luke all the disney space wizard stuff is just digital puppets quoting lines from other movies

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ingmar terdman posted:

Between ROS Sheev and Booka Luke all the disney space wizard stuff is just digital puppets quoting lines from other movies

Can't wait for Darth Vader to scream a heavily-filtered I HATE YOU and Ewan suddenly starts tAlKiNg LiKe ThIs OuT oF nOwHeRe

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

2house2fly posted:

I'd just figured that in Luke's teens at some point a dialogue like this happened:

Uncle Owen with the heavy "John Economos in Peacemaker" vibes.

"I COULDN'T THINK OF ANYBODY ELSE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpDZEnknGMs

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ingmar terdman posted:

"So we meet again. But now I am the master."
"You're not even a master of Evil Darth!"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Darth TNT posted:

"So we meet again. But now I am the master."
"You're not even a master of Evil Darth!"

"You struck me down, and I'm more powerful than you could possibly imagine."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bongo Bill posted:

I figured Obi-Wan wanted Vader to show up, just not anybody else, so deliberately left clues that only Anakin would understand.

Shmi Skywalker lived on a planet where people have names like Darklighter and Moonbreaker, so it isn't very attention-grabbing on its own. Sharing surnames with a couple of dead Jedi from the war is just trivia, except to the rare person who knows enough secrets to infer what it means for an old man named Kenobi and a young man (or woman!) named Skywalker to be in close proximity.

I guess this show is taking a different approach, however.

Ah, but Kenobi hiding right in the middle of the sand- AND he has the high ground!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

stev posted:

"You struck me down, and I'm more powerful than you could possibly imagine."

this owns actually

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
"so we meet again, again!"

"You could say I'm irritating and get everywhere"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's more Star Wars, so I'm not complaining.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If Obi doesn’t say Hello There a nerd is going to suicide bomb Disney hq so really it’s matter of safety.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
for real, if there isn't some kind of hacked in "high ground" reference I will eat a hat. Actually I won't, but I'd be willing to do something moderately humiliating

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Eat one of these

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

People are gonna analyze Kenobi frame by frame and realize he's always standing a few pixels above everyone else and therefore has the high ground and is unbeatable

Except for the times he's getting utterly shitstomped because that seems to be a recurring trend with these live-action shows

Bonus points if the finale has a "base under siege" scene at some point

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Vinylshadow posted:

People are gonna analyze Kenobi frame by frame and realize he's always standing a few pixels above everyone else and therefore has the high ground and is unbeatable

Except for the times he's getting utterly shitstomped because that seems to be a recurring trend with these live-action shows

Bonus points if the finale has a "base under siege" scene at some point

I agree with both your points. Obi-wan will absolutely get his poo poo kicked, and he also will verbally say something about higher ground. These two predictions I stand by.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is it confirmed Obi-Wan and Vader actually interact? Seems like it would make the most sense if they just miss each other, or see each other from a distance.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
They call each other once a year and agree they should hang out sometime, then never do it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

General Dog posted:

Is it confirmed Obi-Wan and Vader actually interact? Seems like it would make the most sense if they just miss each other, or see each other from a distance.

All we know so far is that Vader is in the show

Concept art did show them fighting, but it's not currently indicative of anything

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
One of the things they said was rematch of the century, so yeah

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Someone fill me in because I'm too lazy to look, when did Obi Wan learn that Darth Vader is Anakin?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It isn't in the movies, but he may have sensed it through the Force or may have just inferred it from the Emperor's new right hand man sounding like he lives in an iron lung. It'll probably be the big shock reveal of this series

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Spermando posted:

One of the things they said was rematch of the century, so yeah

Maybe they’re going to recreate the Darth Maul fight in live action.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Don’t he and Yoda see Palpatine refer to him as Vader in the security tape?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AdmiralViscen posted:

Don’t he and Yoda see Palpatine refer to him as Vader in the security tape?

If I recall correctly, yes

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Oh yeah he does. That settles that then, the first time he heard of the emperor having a new guy called Darth Vader he knew that was the same guy (or that Anakin died and was reborn as Darth Vader, you know what I mean)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

General Dog posted:

Agreed they should do like a Godfather Part II thing and just have the stories be completely separate but clear on how one effects the others' characterization.

Tiaer
Oct 6, 2020
https://twitter.com/JakeTCannon/status/1502684980195037186

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol:

Now you can live out your dream of being a space fascist hunting down minorites!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They look so proud of themselves. :allears:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would totally be a first order if I could use fake guns and pal around with Ren. But alas.

Also spoiler chewie escapes

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Do you get to pick a role on these things? Because if I'd dropped six grand to be randomly assigned the space Nazi story I'd be unhappy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think so. I haven’t seen someone really try and do anything but being a hero yet. But I think it’s a case of finding some officer and joining up.

They have the best side quest so far where you hack the ship with cool Star Wars props.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
"Kennedy reveals that early scripts from original writer Hossein Amini were incredibly dark, and the entire show was put on hold to adjust the tone. Production was delayed from August 2020 to January 2021 to allow the show to bring in new writers and craft a sunnier story."

lol rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

They replaced all the 40-watt bulbs with 60-watt so you can see what's happening on camera, obviously