Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm surprised I haven't seen more tankies accusing Ukrainians of painting Zs on their own equipment.

Only ones I saw were some photoshops adding Z's to wrecks from 2014 and the war in Georgia, during the first week

At this point I don't think you could take a paias without wetting a wrecked tank tho, so I doubt they need to fake it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Defenestrategy posted:

Why choose bioweapons of all things? We already have covi...

They're gonna blame the US for covid aren't they.

China already did. It's Maine lobsters that did it. :downs:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Defenestrategy posted:

China's been doing that for years already.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

First, thanks for your awesome post. The knock-on effects of the invasion are going to be insane, and you're demonstrating one aspect of that really well.

Where are you getting this information? I was under the impression a lot of Russian plant is Russian-made and I would have thought that it could be handled in-country, but if you're correct then.... well, holy gently caress.

Pretty much all combined cycle gas turbines are sold by a handful of Western firms (GE, Siemens, and ABB). Same goes for the control systems that manage oil production and refining - almost entirely Western or Japanese companies.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1502075497991348226

Jesus loving Christ

Each and every one of those dudes has a wirecutter built into their goddamn bayonet.

Why are they advancing in masse down the middle of the loving hardtop and not cutting that wire and spreading out

Edit: Also: https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/russian-comms-ukraine-world-hertz

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Anecdotal, but Russia is at the tail end of 30 years of severe brain drain. The USSR could produce turbine engines and generators. They weren't all amazing, but enough of them were comparable to western stuff that they could have run an autarky with inferior washing machines and toilet paper. However, pretty much as soon as the walls came down, engineers and scientists were leaving approximately in order of competence, most competent first and so on down.

I know a Russian turbine engineer, he stayed in Russia pretty much long enough to prove he was roughly hireable, then went GE, US, Argentina, Japan, etc. He's a dyed in the wool Russian nationalist, but still doesn't live there anymore lol. He's the exception because the university system was pretty severely gutted by flight of most of the competent academics with credentials to prove that a western university should hire them. You can still see this in academic departments across the country, massive number of Russian academics are working in the US, wildly out of proportion to any other European nationality.

So not only do they not make turbines, they most likely can't make them in principle. (And won't be able to again for probably decades. It takes time to build institutions like that up after they burn down)

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Softface posted:

https://twitter.com/remilitari/status/1502012187627433986?s=20&t=sOJ-5aWdRbqvo78lcAKPuQ

Spokesman's statement is total nonsense, of course, but I feel this is priming the pump domestically to justify employing bio or chem weapons.

The question is what bird will Russia attack us with? Do they have more? IS THERE A BIRD GAP?

BrotherJayne posted:

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1502075497991348226

Jesus loving Christ

Each and every one of those dudes has a wirecutter built into their goddamn bayonet.

Why are they advancing in masse down the middle of the loving hardtop and not cutting that wire and spreading out

Edit: Also: https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/russian-comms-ukraine-world-hertz

All I can hear that whole video is the memory of someone screaming that they will kick my "dick in" if we keep grouping up like that.

Raged fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 11, 2022

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
ahhh the double post

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah jesus loving christ

the only way that gets any better is if Putin immediately dusts Shoigu on suspicion of being a Ukrainian saboteur

Well... then he gets replaced with someone competent. Maybe.

Cugel the Clever posted:

IPutin ... could absolutely get away with backing down...

(Apologies if the edit materially changes what you were saying, and if it does, ignore me completely)

I'm not sure he could:

I think that even if he broke off in UA this instant, handed back Crimea, stopped "supporting " the "resistance" in Donetsk and Luhansk, paid reparations, signed (another...) treaty to respect UA sovereignty etc etc etc... he's bared his teeth one too many times, made nuclear threats and that the Western nations have finally gotten wise to him. It also costs much less political capital to keep sanctions up than to impose them in the first place.

The sanctions will see his regime out. I hope.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 11, 2022

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

IPCRESS posted:

Well... then he gets replaced with someone competent. Maybe.

(Apologies if the edit materially changes what you were saying, and if it does, ignore me completely)

I'm not sure he could:

I think that even if he broke off in UA this instant, handed back Crimea, stopped "supporting " the "resistance" in Donetsk and Luhansk, paid reparations, signed (another...) treaty to respect UA sovereignty etc etc etc... he's bared his teeth one too many times, made nuclear threats and that the Western nations have finally gotten wise to him. It also costs much less political capital to keep sanctions up than to impose them in the first place.

I could see them being eased as a part of an Iran nuclear deal type negotiation after the war. Maybe for some kind of mutual nonproliferation or ballistic missile ban/reduction treaty.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just don't see how things get better if Putin's still there. Putin accidentally gets VX for his tea instead of milk, new totally not coup government takes over, pins everything on Putin as a megalomaniac, withdraws from Ukraine. That scenario, I can see everyone being happy to go along with it was all Putin and dropping all the retaliation. It's amazing how long the world has put up with Putin's poo poo as it is. Probably part of why he thought he could get away with it, nothing really happened the last few times he invaded a neighbor so why would it this time?

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Radio War Nerd (highly recommended) just had an episode about the sanctions https://podcastaddict.com/episode/136535208 , basically it seems devastating for the Russians but they have been preparing for this and there is a lot going on behind the scenes that we just do not hear about or most are not aware of. I am not familiar with the guest, and at times he seems a bit apologetic towards Putin, so I would be interested in any criticisms people have about him and what he is saying.

While on the Podcast front, the following have been putting out a lot of good content lately on the war in Ukraine.

https://warontherocks.com/podcasts/
https://mwi.usma.edu/category/podcasts/ - Current good one on No Fly Zones.
https://play.acast.com/s/warcollege

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

IPCRESS posted:

I'm not sure he could:

Agreed entirely, I accidentally dropped the sentence from my post where I intended to emphasize the short-term success of backing down very possibly giving way to regime collapse in the medium-term as the damage done to the Russian economy proves irreparable in our lifetimes.

But it's still a better option than doubling down as there's at least a slim chance that, if he removes his already tiny dick from the grinder, he might staunch the bleeding and muddle through, mangled, like North Korea has managed to. If he just sticks it in further, his regime will bleed out on the steppe.

Assuming, of course, that the videos we're seeing of rank incompetence from the Russian military actually reflect the whole rather than just its least competent parts.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dick Ripple posted:

Radio War Nerd (highly recommended) just had an episode about the sanctions https://podcastaddict.com/episode/136535208 , basically it seems devastating for the Russians but they have been preparing for this and there is a lot going on behind the scenes that we just do not hear about or most are not aware of. I am not familiar with the guest, and at times he seems a bit apologetic towards Putin, so I would be interested in any criticisms people have about him and what he is saying.

They havent really been preparing for sanctions on this scale, not in finance (how do you prepare for third of your reserves to be frozen?), not in industry (localizing efforts have been mostly a breeding ground for cuts and kickbacks on a massive scale). The threats of nationalizing the assets of companies that have suspended their business are pure agony.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
You have to listen to the podcast, it is long (80 min). He mentions while the Russians may not have foreseen the severity and speed of the sactions, they are still in position to wait it out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

They havent really been preparing for sanctions on this scale, not in finance (how do you prepare for third of your reserves to be frozen?), not in industry (localizing efforts have been mostly a breeding ground for cuts and kickbacks on a massive scale). The threats of nationalizing the assets of companies that have suspended their business are pure agony.

Not to mention that some of the sanctions on technology exports would take years to develop, cost hundreds of billions of dollars, and require thousands of experts that Russia doesn't have. China may be able to assist to some degree, but even their own semiconductor industry is lagging far behind Taiwan, South Korea, the US, Japan, and Europe. And even then, they aren't going to want to run the risk of being sanctioned by the US or EU for helping them out - look at how quickly ZTE caved after the US came after them for supplying Iran.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Double posting because this is juicy:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f08527b36854d05

quote:

Putin has approved 16,000 volunteers from the Middle East to fight in Ukraine
With more details of Vladimir Putin’s comments on welcoming volunteers to fight in Ukraine, Reuters reports that the Russian president today approved bringing thousands of fighters from the Middle East to fight against Ukraine.

At a meeting of Russia’s Security Council, defence minister Sergei Shoigu said there were 16,000 volunteers in the Middle East who were ready to come to fight with Russian-backed forces in eastern Ukraine in the breakaway Donbass region.

Putin said:

If you see that there are these people who want of their own accord, not for money, to come to help the people living in Donbass, then we need to give them what they want and help them get to the conflict zone.

He also told Shoigu that he approved Javelin and Stinger missles captured by the Russian army in Ukraine being handed to Dobass forces.

“As to the delivery of arms, especially Western-made ones which have fallen into the hands of the Russian army - of course I support the possibility of giving these to the military units of the Lugansk and Donetsk people’s republics,” Putin said.
“Please do this.”

Things are apparently going poorly enough that they're having to rely on (presumably) Syrians to backfill their ranks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

EasilyConfused posted:

I know this isn't the point, but why did they bother coloring in all the tiny French overseas possessions and then not do it for the British ones?

I think it's because the French ones are considered an integral part of France and not an overseas possession

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Basticle posted:

I think it's because the French ones are considered an integral part of France and not an overseas possession

Yeah French overseas departments are just a normal part of France. British Overseas Territories are tax avoidance jurisdictions.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

psydude posted:

Things are apparently going poorly enough that they're having to rely on (presumably) Syrians to backfill their ranks.

I saw this in the other thread, and i can't believe they actually even attempt this :psyduck: Seems like an absolute recipe for all kinds of clusterfucks to add to the poo poo they already have.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I saw this in the other thread, and i can't believe they actually even attempt this :psyduck: Seems like an absolute recipe for all kinds of clusterfucks to add to the poo poo they already have.

This is assuming they actually find 16k Syrians willing to fight for them (or perhaps not so willing-- I could see Assad emptying out his jails in aid of this but that too would undoubtedly turn into a massive clusterfuck).

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm surprised I haven't seen more tankies accusing Ukrainians of painting Zs on their own equipment.

If Ukraine can maintain a relatively static front long enough for sanctions on Russia to really start to bite, it will be interesting to see if Putin finally walks things back or tries to double down. I don't see the latter going well for him. He could absolutely get away with backing down, though: just shift the goal posts completely and execute some scape goats for the military debacle. Domestic audiences would probably accept it so long as they thought it meant the economy would go back to normal (what happens if the damage proves irreparable, I don't know). Western tankies, of course, would immediately accept it and continue to blast the message that "Ukraine hysteria" exists "to distract dumb libs".

This was one of the main pro-russian claims in the first week or two, though I've seen it less since it started to become really obvious that actually Russia really was just losing very large numbers of vehicles. It's sort of morphed into a general 'all big fuckups are ukranian disinfo efforts,' which is pretty fuckin lol when you see it in the wild.

Defenestrategy posted:

Why choose bioweapons of all things? We already have covi...

They did that last week, actually

Fearless posted:

This is assuming they actually find 16k Syrians willing to fight for them (or perhaps not so willing-- I could see Assad emptying out his jails in aid of this but that too would undoubtedly turn into a massive clusterfuck).

Assad has a ton of amnestied rebels technically in the SAA. many of whom even know how to work anti-tank launchers, or, yknow, drive trucks.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 11, 2022

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Fearless posted:

I haven't really been paying much attention to Libya, but I think Putin's also tight with Haftar there.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Hannibal Rex posted:

I haven't really been paying much attention to Libya, but I think Putin's also tight with Haftar there.

Yeah but Libya has their own issues to work out
https://thesoufancenter.org/intelbrief-2022-march-7/

IntelBrief: Libya Continues to Unravel

quote:

Bottom Line up Front

A U.N.-backed process to stabilize Libya through presidential elections appears close to collapse.

An apparent power grab in February by leaders linked to eastern Libya strongman Khalifa Haftar has furthered the political divisions plaguing the U.N.-led election roadmap.

Regional and international powers continue to press their own interests in Libya at the expense of the political and economic stability that would benefit the Libyan people.

Libya’s role as an oil and gas exporter has been significantly harmed by internal conflict, reducing its ability to help compensate for any energy shortages resulting from Russia’s war in Ukraine.

In 2020, in the aftermath of a ceasefire among contending Libyan factions, United Nations representatives and Libyan leaders established a roadmap to try to end a decade of internal conflict since the overthrow of Muammar Al Qadhafi. The agreed process hinged upon holding elections for a president and a national assembly, under a consensus set of election laws, and subsequently scheduled for December 24, 2021. The objective of the election was to unify a U.N.-backed government based in Tripoli with eastern Libyan leaders led by General Khalifa Haftar, a staunchly anti-Islamist strongman backed by Egypt, Russia, and the United Arab Emirates. Many of Libya’s major political players from both the east and west, including Haftar as well as leaders in western Libya, and Saif al-Islam Al Qadhafi, had filed to run for president. However, court challenges about the eligibility of several candidacies, as well as disputes over the election laws that would govern the planned December 24 vote, caused the elections to be postponed. Stephanie Williams, the U.N. special adviser on Libya, asserts that the only way to sustain the U.N. roadmap for Libyan political reconciliation will be to hold an election by summer 2022.

With a new election date still not set, simmering disputes among major factions erupted on February 10 with a decision by the Tobruk-based parliament to name a new prime minister, Fathi Bashagha. The parliament asserted that the term of prime minister Abdul Hamid Dbeibeh had ended on the December 24, 2021 date that was set for the presidential election. Experts characterized the appointment as a “power grab” by Bashagha, a former minister of interior; Aguileh Saleh, his key backer and the speaker of parliament; and Haftar. Haftar and his allies failed to conquer western Libya by force in 2019, but since have sought opportunities to unify Libya under their control through political means. By appointing Bashagha as prime minister, the eastern Libyan leaders hoped to rally supporters in western Libya - Bashagha himself hails from western Libya (Misrata) - and thereby undermine Dbeibeh’s government.

Rather than consolidating Libya’s contending factions, the appointment triggered a backlash in western Libya, hardened Libya’s divisions, and increased the potential for a renewal of armed conflict. Dbeibeh vowed to remain in his post until national elections are held, and supporters rallied to his side. Demonstrators protested Dbeibeh’s replacement and pro-Dbeibeh militias rushed to Tripoli to defend his government. U.N. officials used the power grab to stress the importance of political reconciliation and to prod the various factions to set a new election date. The day after the vote to replace Dbeibeh, U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric stated that U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres “takes note” of Thursday's vote in the House of Representatives in Tobruk to designate a new prime minister and “further calls on all parties to continue to preserve stability in Libya as a top priority.” While the ouster of Dbeibeh might ultimately succeed, and without producing major new armed conflict, the appointment did not advance reconciliation or produce movement on setting a new presidential election date.

Many experts assess that the same regional and global powers that have been supporting the contending Libyan leaders were behind the effort to oust Dbeibeh. Expressing public support for Bashagha ‘s appointment was Egypt - which still hopes to see one of its proxies in power - as well as Russia. The United Arab Emirates (UAE) also has supported Haftar militarily and politically. Turkey and, to a lesser extent, Qatar, have backed the Tripoli-based government. However, Turkey, which has recently sought reconciliation with its regional adversaries, indicated it would not risk provoking a return to armed conflict within Libya by supporting its ally’s claim to remain in power. While on a rare visit to the UAE, Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan expressed neutrality in the Libya dispute, asserting that his government has good relations with both Dbeibeh and Bashagha.

A failure to reconcile the contending factions will further complicate Libya’s efforts to recover economically and maximize the potential of its large oil and gas sector. U.S. officials have been consulting with global energy exporters to increase world oil production - in an effort to lower world oil prices - and to consider providing extra natural gas supplies to Europe in anticipation of gas shortages arising from the war in Ukraine. Most of Europe’s natural gas is provided by Russia, which will curtail supplies as U.S.-led sanctions are imposed in response to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Some experts consider Libya as potentially able to help ease a shortage, given its strong gas production and close proximity to the continent. However, Libya’s political instability makes it a troublesome energy partner, and its ability to increase exports of gas is limited. On several occasions, paramilitary forces and other autonomous actors have shut down Libyan oil fields and caused Libya’s state-owned oil company to declare force majeure - a legal move allowing it to free itself from contractual supply obligations due to factors beyond its control. Russia could also leverage its presence in eastern Libya and the country’s oil fields to disrupt energy flows to Europe. It is likely that U.S. officials would look to more stable and reliable gas suppliers, such as Qatar, for any solutions to a Ukraine crisis-induced gas supply shortage in Europe, and will continue to focus Libya policy on political stabilization there.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
burn haftar reading

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

BrotherJayne posted:

Traveling groverwatch

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

psydude posted:

Pretty much all combined cycle gas turbines are sold by a handful of Western firms (GE, Siemens, and ABB). Same goes for the control systems that manage oil production and refining - almost entirely Western or Japanese companies.

Anecdotally, back in the late 90s before I enlisted (literally, quit my job on the rear ramp on 9/12/01 after cursing my foreman for leaving me in the ship the day before when they evacuated the yard, drove to the recruiter) I worked on the conversion of a Ukrainian ro/ro ship that was built in 1984 for the Soviet commercial fleet, into the MSC ship LCPL Roy Wheat. The turbines on it, original equipment to the ship, were made by Siemens.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

bees everywhere posted:

Traveling groverwatch

:drat:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

psydude posted:

It's not a war on the steppe if you don't have minor powers holding your flanks.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

This is a couple of days old, but if I had to distill Germany down into a single anecdote, it would be this:

https://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/...5f2311d911.html

Group of refugees arrives in the train station and their connecting train isn't until the next day. They receive accommodation at a hotel, but most are either unvaccinated or don't have the proper documentation. Because this is Germany, and strict adherence to protocol is prized over problem solving, nobody thought to bring in someone to do spot testing (a negative rapid test can stand in for the vaccine) and instead they were sent back to sleep in the train station overnight.

psydude fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 11, 2022

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

The Ukrainians claim to have killed a MG (roughly equivalent in rank to an American brigadier General).
https://mobile.twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1502269176513273856

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The Ukrainians claim to have killed a MG (roughly equivalent in rank to an American brigadier General).

This would be the third Russian general nabbed so far, iirc. The special military operation seems to be going according to plan.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I see they chose the angle that hides the massive mole on his neck.

https://twitter.com/Biz_Ukraine_Mag/status/1502261225878601728?s=20&t=TySsKYOhgVNSQRSp8Ujesg

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

This would be the third Russian general nabbed so far, iirc. The special military operation seems to be going according to plan.

There's been several regimental commanders (O6 equivalent) killed as well.

I wonder if this is due to deliberate targeting on the part of the Ukrainians, or just carelessness on the part of the Russians? Probably some combination of both.

e: It's doubly devastating for the Russians since apparently only the senior leadership actually knows what the hell the plan is, and Russian doctrine doesn't employ mission command.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 11, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Raged posted:

The question is what bird will Russia attack us with? Do they have more? IS THERE A BIRD GAP?

All I can hear that whole video is the memory of someone screaming that they will kick my "dick in" if we keep grouping up like that.

What a weird incentive

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

psydude posted:

There's been several regimental commanders (O6 equivalent) killed as well.

I wonder if this is due to deliberate targeting on the part of the Ukrainians, or just carelessness on the part of the Russians? Probably some combination of both.

At least one of them went to the front of the doom-convoy and was yelling at people when a sniper took his shot. Doubt he recognized who his target was, but if people are scurrying around you and you look like you’re yelling, that’s getting marked as “some type of leadership” and suddenly you’re the priority target.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QrBxWcBXow

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston
Just had a shower thought that veers far to much in to clancy territory for my liking, but: We all know how revolutions and drastic change in Russia often follow (not necessarily entirely caused by) failed military operations or wars, e.g the Russo-Japanese war, the February Revolution, the collapse of the Soviet Union post Afghan invasion.

And I think I would loving die laughing if this years VDV-day (https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/08/03/the-mischief-and-mayhem-of-russian-paratroopers-day-a71040) would be the spark that turns into wider protests and societal upheaval. Beaten, embarrased and humiliated with a self-image and mythology built up over almost a century shattered, on a day already known for drunken debauchery and violence towards both civilians and police. It would be a perfect opportunity to channel that anger and resentment, albeit perhaps not done purposefully, toward the system and politicians that put Russia in this mess. Like things might escalate out of control with russian security forces unable to contain it. I mean it doesn't even have to be organised, current and former VDV-soldiers already gather on august 2nd every year all across Russia.

Now I don't for a second believe this is even remotely probable, but still it's an entertaining thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

BrotherJayne posted:

How many of them even have bayonets? And were trained on how to use the wire cutter?

I can count on one hand how many times I even saw a bayonet after I finished basic training and the only bayonet I ever touched was the old M7, even though the M9 with wire cutter was adopted when I was two.