Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Who else besides Serenoa and Erador get counter-attack passives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Junpei posted:

Who else besides Serenoa and Erador get counter-attack passives?
1. Groma (only after evading)
2. Maxwell

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gyoru posted:

1. Groma (only after evading)
2. Maxwell

2 on your list is a complete shitwrecker too. Just strong as all get out. I'm trying to use different characters on my second playthrough. It's hard to abandon my top units from the first round.

That first map on NG+ is a rude awakening if you have under leveled units. Trish was a menace especially to Benedict since I hadn't used him since like level 11 on my first playthrough. I'm kicking NG+ down to Very Easy because I want to see what the "great reward" for no one dying is (according to Lionel). It's definitely MUCH easier than normal but will make for a quick playthrough for recruitment's sake taking the paths I didn't take the first time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I don't think the game was prepared for my setup that fires map wide lightning every turn.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
How's the JP voice acting?

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
So far, it's been solid! It fits the writing, which so far hasn't been super kind to the character voices; everyone is super stiff/polite, but the seiyuus do a nice job of selling just how stuffy and noble most of the characters are.

No commentary on the English VAs though, I haven't used those at all so far.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I will say the game is pretty decent about catching low level characters up quickly and efficiently. I got piccoletta like 3 levels over two fights just spamming decoy and smacking folks with balls.

I’m also falling out of love with Anna. Early on her damage plus two actions meant she could seriously carve into some folks, but I’ve got an upgraded weapon and a promotion and she feels like she’s falling behind and both of her attacks maybe equal up to one of someone else’s as of Chapter 8.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Anna really wants to backstab people, she gets a passive bonus to it. I think it also applies to her follow-ups if they're also back attacks?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Anna isn’t great for every fight, but there are definitely fights that she is extremely useful for.

Edit: the slow trickle of promotion medals is making me angry. I’m in chapter 9 and I’ve only been able to promote like three of the original units.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
slumber stab also really helps keep the pressure off once you get it

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Anna isn’t great for every fight, but there are definitely fights that she is extremely useful for.

Edit: the slow trickle of promotion medals is making me angry. I’m in chapter 9 and I’ve only been able to promote like three of the original units.

It picks up. In Ch13 I've gotten everyone but one at level 2 and one at level 3.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I've had Anna just mulch through some tough enemies when she can get in position for backstabs with a follow up attack, plus sometimes getting two actions can just let her do a lot. Such as tossing down an oil jug and a fire attack item in the same turn.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

even if Anna's damage drops off, she can inflict poison and sleep status, use various items, move around really well with Surmount... I like using Twofold Turn on her so she gets four actions. I have used her and Hughette in every story battle.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like huguette but I will just switch her out for another archer depending on the map, except for old guy... i hate old guy... i get his use but he is just boring.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Anna and Seranoa compliment each other perfectly since she gets a bonus from back attacks and he gets a bonus from complimentary attacks. If you can get her behind an enemy and him in front you can just watch the damage melt away. I’ve taken multiple boss enemies down with this tactic. Pop Roland behind Seranoa to reap even further benefits

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Trying to avoid spoilers but here’s my question: I just got some units that appear to be pre-promos — they’re joining as Veterans. Does the Fire Emblem wisdom apply here? Are pre promos generally gonna have lower stats and be less worth it?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Vegetable posted:

Trying to avoid spoilers but here’s my question: I just got some units that appear to be pre-promos — they’re joining as Veterans. Does the Fire Emblem wisdom apply here? Are pre promos generally gonna have lower stats and be less worth it?

Nope! They're just as good.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I can't convince Anna to make the choice I want to make in chapter 9, I got the extra dialogue option so I'm not sure what I'm missing. Am I just boned?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Reik posted:

I can't convince Anna to make the choice I want to make in chapter 9, I got the extra dialogue option so I'm not sure what I'm missing. Am I just boned?

I don’t think the unlockable dialogue option is always the best one. I think it’s a red herring sometimes.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One thing I've wondered on my first playthrough is how much the actual fights change based on your decisions. It seems like many of them go like, "OK it's decided we do X to make sure Y doesn't happen." [Walks outside, Y happens anyway for reasons.]

For instance (chapter 12-14ish):

The game hasn't given me a more obvious, correct moral "choice" yet other than deciding not to give up the Roselle, and it's obvious and easy to talk your way into defending them. So you go down to the village and do the big defend fight. But if you choose to give them up for some reason, do you still end up doing the exact same fight, just under different pretext? Do you drive off the other lord then still get invited in afterward to discover the [object] that drives the next big plot phase? Or does something else entirely happen to trigger that? Or does that just not happen at all?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I don’t think the unlockable dialogue option is always the best one. I think it’s a red herring sometimes.

yep. you get a sense for the type of appeals work for everyone as time goes, like anna tends to agree with what would be utility arguments a lot since she is benedict's right hand. but lost of life bothers her way more than him considering her history.

Huxley posted:

One thing I've wondered on my first playthrough is how much the actual fights change based on your decisions. It seems like many of them go like, "OK it's decided we do X to make sure Y doesn't happen." [Walks outside, Y happens anyway for reasons.]

The fights totally change, and are in fact the stuff that changes the most in the game.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 11, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Any tips for the chapter IX battle? I don't know what route I'm on, so I'll just put the context in spoilers: Serenoa and company were on their way to deliver the bootleg salt to the Hyzante leader and expose the illegal operation when they got ambushed in that mountainous area with the archers on both sides.

I got decently close the first time I tried but lost and am having trouble figuring out a decisive strategy.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

The fights totally change, and are in fact the stuff that changes the most in the game.

This makes me happy to hear!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I got decently close the first time I tried but lost and am having trouble figuring out a decisive strategy.

This was the first fight I failed; never underestimate everyone being a level or two higher from the previous failure. It helps! Tactically, I rushed the top right corner and turtled. the pack of enemies on the far left are pretty slow and you can just about have the middle pack wiped out before they get over to you. Plus when they do, you're on the high ground and they're in the pit.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 11, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Detective No. 27 posted:

Any tips for the chapter IX battle? I don't know what route I'm on, so I'll just put the context in spoilers: Serenoa and company were on their way to deliver the bootleg salt to the Hyzante leader and expose the illegal operation when they got ambushed in that mountainous area with the archers on both sides.

Bring jens, place a ladder on the weaker defended mountain side.

In my game game I sent a separate force over there to take out those units but now I'm wondering if the smarter move is to put all your units there and force their main force to come to you, don't know how feasible this is without the map in front of me to see if the movement works.

Just keep pushing people off the cliff when you can.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

Bring jens, place a ladder on the weaker defended mountain side.

What a thrill.

That's a good idea. My last attempt was bringing all my units to the other side and they got squashed.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Huxley posted:

This makes me happy to hear!

They are totally different scenarios on different maps. The story changes greatly depending on the choices on the scales. Look at the flow chart under War Chronicle -> Path Traveled. I’m on chapter 9 and it looks like depending on what you chose in chapter 7, chapter 8 is completely different and then itself has two possible battles. That’s one of the selling points of the game.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Seems to be a discount Tactics Ogre except with 200x more padding and an English dub as abysmal as your usual FUNimation voice cast.

happyalloy
Mar 18, 2009
I am on chapter 8 and greatly enjoying the game so far! One question I have: I see people referring to different paths in the game, such as Frederica's path for example. With as little spoilers as possible - will I find myself having to lose any of the original main cast/vote casters through choices later in the game? I.E., will I face a choice where I will either lose say Frederica or Benedict and not have a way to keep both of them? I mostly ask so that I am not wasting limited upgrade and promotion materials on characters that might end up leaving the army.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

It's hard to compare strategy games to Tactics Ogre though. I mean that game had so much poo poo going on and was so heavy with stuff. I dunno how easy it would be to even make a game that you could compare it to.

This game is pretty good. Voice acting is garbo though, absolutely.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
anyone who goes on and on about tactics orge I just assume to be like 40 and listens to led zeppelin

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

happyalloy posted:

I am on chapter 8 and greatly enjoying the game so far! One question I have: I see people referring to different paths in the game, such as Frederica's path for example. With as little spoilers as possible - will I find myself having to lose any of the original main cast/vote casters through choices later in the game? I.E., will I face a choice where I will either lose say Frederica or Benedict and not have a way to keep both of them? I mostly ask so that I am not wasting limited upgrade and promotion materials on characters that might end up leaving the army.

I've encountered a vote in which certain people say they will be going to do something regardless of your say so. Those people cannot be convinced. If you don't proceed down their path, they do leave your party. Other people who vote for that choice, but lose that vote, do stay in your party. In this specific case, they did return to my party later, but I can see some choices might lead to permanent departures. (So, no matter what course of action you decide on, two and only two people will leave your party for a time.)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Snooze Cruise posted:

anyone who goes on and on about tactics orge I just assume to be like 40 and listens to led zeppelin

I am and I do! So you're at least one for one so far. (or is that two for two)

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Seems to be a discount Tactics Ogre except with 200x more padding and an English dub as abysmal as your usual FUNimation voice cast.

Tactics Ogre is Padding: The Game and it's awesome. Can't argue about the dub though. Turn it off and it's infinitely better to play.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I'm playing on easy because I don't want to grind too much or think too hard and the game is okay to waste time. How the game handles in battles is kind of clunky to me and the linear nature of each character's growths feels more like just getting bigger numbers to keep up with the game than any actual decision. Also it kicks you to the world map between scenes for no reason I can see.
I have a bunch of characters that can promote but no items to do it with so hopefully I'll be able to buy a bunch soon. My one big thumbs up is that whenever a named character is talking you can press X to get a description and picture of them which even sometimes updates with story.
I don't think it's worth the price of a normal game because it doesn't feel inventive or contemporary.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think the thing they shot for re: "making growth decisions" was more about resource scarcity than actual path branching, though it comes out that way in practice.

It's not totally clear from the start that taking the HP skill makes the attack skill cost more (and vice versa), to the point where your last top-level skills become prohibitively expensive. There's nothing stopping you from filling in every bubble on a character, but the 15 iron or whatever to get 1 def is probably better used unlocking 2-3 things on other characters. Or how it trickles out the medals and tier 2/3 materials, they really want you thinking about who gets the next class vs who gets the next weapon vs who gets left behind this run.

I don't think it's a perfect system, but I think I understand what/why they were shooting at.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I have been playing on hard and haven't done any grinding at all. The maps are set up such that I usually play a few turns, figure out a better way to approach the map, then restart with a better plan of action in mind.

Like the early stage where you gotta get to the exit, I found it to be so much easier when I put my entire team on one side instead of splitting them up.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the way it does weapon upgrades is fine to me but for a sequel they should probably throw like more passive, either or choices, and weapon skills earlier in the ranks so it at least feels better to people who care about that sorta of progression

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Srice posted:

I have been playing on hard and haven't done any grinding at all. The maps are set up such that I usually play a few turns, figure out a better way to approach the map, then restart with a better plan of action in mind.

Like the early stage where you gotta get to the exit, I found it to be so much easier when I put my entire team on one side instead of splitting them up.

Keeping your team together seems to be the best strategy in several battles, I’ve found.

Also I didn’t know main characters could leave based on what path you take, that’s really interesting.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I do appreciate how the game commits to several story beats. I find the story itself pretty well written and it commits to its low fantasy, entirely political narrative. I do think the game takes too long to separate you from characters that don't agree with your choices, though. I think that paths should have been more discrete with characters joining or leaving early depending on what path you've taken.

I'm taking a break from my second playthrough to spend some time with Elden Ring since everyone else is playing that now and I want to get on it while I can still co-op with folks.

New Game + handles things interestingly: (mechanical spoilers) So, maps level from the last map in your first playthrough, which is great! However, no one learns anything of note at all past like level 33 so it feels a bit superfluous. Not to mention maps don't drop better materials or more money which is a bit backwards. Getting 1k gold from a level 35 story map sucks. Any treasures you picked up from explorations in prior playthroughs are just gone. So the maps you have to redo are totally empty of items. No money or re-getting accessories. Bit of a bummer there. On the plus side, the Sundry shop restocks with multiples of items like Medals of Valor and the Rank 3 weapon materials so you're not completely without til the second half of the game. So that's nice.

I suspect I'll try to do every path of the game eventually. While I have issues with some of the mechanics of the game, everything else is pretty top notch. I hope they build on and improve what they have here one day. Polished SRPGs are few and far between.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
there seems to be a lot more srpg releases though lately, which makes me happy as a fan of the genre. Like lot of stuff coming out this year that looks potentially cool.

the srpg new wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I think taking characters away based on your choices more so than they did would have sucked.

Anna is best girl but I also don't want to need to agree with her every time for fear she'll leave me and screw all my upgrades.