Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

https://twitter.com/thelouisdangoor/status/1501960446823313411?s=21

“WWE’s two biggest prospects are going to the main roster, hopefully they’ll be main event ready in a decade”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Im in two minds about this because lol wwe main roster but also the point if sending all their talent to NXT was "tell em how to find the hard camera" for years. The NXT ecosystem formed because they refused to let people already be on the main roster when they were ready. When they broke this rule and broight in AJ Styles the backfire was... they got one of their best and most credible main eventers for the last decade. That prospects arent going to be there in perpetuity is a good thing, how they gently caress it up will be even better.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Lid posted:

Im in two minds about this because lol wwe main roster but also the point if sending all their talent to NXT was "tell em how to find the hard camera" for years. The NXT ecosystem formed because they refused to let people already be on the main roster when they were ready. When they broke this rule and broight in AJ Styles the backfire was... they got one of their best and most credible main eventers for the last decade. That prospects arent going to be there in perpetuity is a good thing, how they gently caress it up will be even better.

It’s not a problem that they’re going to the main roster, I’m laughing that he thinks it’ll still be a decade before they’re ready to main event.

Like, wasn’t Stone Cold’s entire WWE run only like 6 years?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bron should be on the main roster and getting a big push.

He should also have a different last name.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Codependent Poster posted:

Bron should be on the main roster and getting a big push.

He should also have a different last name.

I heard that the Strowman last name is available.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rex Steiner is an awesome name hopefully he gets to use it in a couple of years when they release him

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Dacap posted:

It’s not a problem that they’re going to the main roster, I’m laughing that he thinks it’ll still be a decade before they’re ready to main event.

Like, wasn’t Stone Cold’s entire WWE run only like 6 years?

It was but like Austin was a world class talent before he even got to WWE. If you've never seen it check out his ECW run which was his proto-Stone Cold.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Bronn is short for Bronnald

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lid posted:

It was but like Austin was a world class talent before he even got to WWE. If you've never seen it check out his ECW run which was his proto-Stone Cold.

Austin wrestled in WCW, not WCCW, though

:haw:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alaois posted:

Austin wrestled in WCW, not WCCW, though

:haw:

He was in WCCW

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Imagine if it had taken Kurt Angle a decade to become a main eventer because the company was being run by a senile old fucker

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

One of them will be released within 5 years, let alone 10

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

One of them will be released within 5 years, let alone 10

And one will be in 24/7 hell forever. Who will it be, who knows!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

HerraS posted:

Imagine if it had taken Kurt Angle a decade to become a main eventer because the company was being run by a senile old fucker

Angle is the biggest anomaly in wrestling history. His entire hall of fame career was six years from the moment he debuted. Literally no one else has done that to my knowledge. Mistico took eight years, Okada took seven years... and not as in to finish their hall careers, thats when they reached the start. Mistico debuted before Angle did and when he was THE guy in CMLL Angle was already in the Hall of Fame.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I mean Olympic wrestler to regular wrestler is a big *

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Astro7x posted:

I thought WWE Evil was going to be like... a kayfabe documentary on the back story of characters like Kane, Undertaker, Fiend, etc. Instead it just looks like a boring show about what it's like to be a heel.

I mean having heard some of his stories, I'd absolutely watch Ted DiBiase and his generation talk about what it was like to be top heels in the kayfabe days.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dacap posted:

“WWE’s two biggest prospects are going to the main roster, hopefully they’ll be main event ready in a decade”.

No, see, it will take at least a decade for them to finally run out of legacy talents willing to do/capable of a main event program ("Well, looks The Rock/Reigns is off the table again...maybe in 2033. Breakker, Stevenson, I guess it's up to you two.")

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Golden Bee posted:

True the Olympics to wrestling pipeline greatly exceeds bit Kurt does still standout.

Other Olympian pro wrestler legends are Jumbo Tsuruta, Riki Choshu, Karl Gotch and Danny Hodge.

Danny Hodge especially deserves so much more praise, he was so ahead of his time and its like if Brock Lesnar was a junior heavyweight.

Everyone should read Meltzer's obituary to Danny Hodge. It is astounding.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

ehhh. I don't think it matters all that much although previous experience in grapple sports probably helps, it's probably not a good indicator of how well or fast someone takes to wrasslemans. There are plenty of high level fightmans that entered wrestling and didn't take to it immediately or their career fizzled out. Dan Severn, Ronda Rousey, and Tay Conti being decent examples, plus what ever rando jobbers in the PC that WWE is currently training who have prior MMA experience.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Kurt succeeded because he brought much more to the table than just being a generic amateur wrestler workrate guy. He could’ve easily been about as successful as Dan Severn was in WWE.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bron breakker will be called up to aew rampage hopefully by q2 2023

bartok
May 10, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean having heard some of his stories, I'd absolutely watch Ted DiBiase and his generation talk about what it was like to be top heels in the kayfabe days.

Wouldn't you rather have The Miz instead?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Seams posted:

Kurt succeeded because he brought much more to the table than just being a generic amateur wrestler workrate guy. He could’ve easily been about as successful as Dan Severn was in WWE.

Yeah he hit the ground running with tremendous momentum, and part of that was that he grasped his heel persona perfectly and was really really good at riling up the crowd. He was extremely charismatic and his facial expressions were hilarious. I stopped watching wrestling in the early 2000s, what actually predicated his fall from grace?

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Angle could actually make WWE humor funny, which is probably the most amazing thing about him.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
drugs - painkillers mostly, possibly alcohol too, and he absolutely refused to get help

he was fired in 2004(?) because WWE were concerned he was going to literally die in the ring

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Julio Cruz posted:

drugs - painkillers mostly, possibly alcohol too, and he absolutely refused to get help

he was fired in 2004(?) because WWE were concerned he was going to literally die in the ring

Close, he was fired after Eddie died after being sent to WWECW because they didnt want two drug addicted wrestlers dying in their organisation so soon after each other. The government might start investigating again.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lid posted:

Angle is the biggest anomaly in wrestling history. His entire hall of fame career was six years from the moment he debuted. Literally no one else has done that to my knowledge. Mistico took eight years, Okada took seven years... and not as in to finish their hall careers, thats when they reached the start. Mistico debuted before Angle did and when he was THE guy in CMLL Angle was already in the Hall of Fame.

The closest comparison to guys who wrestling early is probably Akiyama and Sugiura but because All Japan/NOAH didn't need main event talent right away (And WWE did) they didn't get the big push that Angle got at the start which is what sets him apart. Just the perfect timing of a guy who got it all early and promotion that needed main event talent on top at any cost

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
KUSHIDA is wrestling A-Kid and i could not care less... that is depressing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Lid posted:

Imagine the alternate universe where they don’t crucify the Sandman when Shane Douglas convinced Kurt to make an appearance at the ECW Arena.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Dacap posted:

https://twitter.com/thelouisdangoor/status/1501960446823313411?s=21

yeah man, gable stevenson who no one has seen wrestle yet is gonna be a big star. Also excited for either Short G to come back or for him to just be called Chad

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 11, 2022

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cool, another sex criminal on their way to the main roster.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Seams posted:

I mean, there's literally Kurt's own brother who didn't make it in pro wrestling because he doesn't have the charisma Kurt does.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Wwe lucked into finding three amazing comedians who were also the best wrestlers ever on top of that.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Imagine the alternate universe where they don’t crucify the Sandman when Shane Douglas convinced Kurt to make an appearance at the ECW Arena.

Thank you for reminding me of the TEW2013 game :)

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

so the tag title match from raw got 4.5 snowflakes

and the match where ziggler won the nxt title got 4.25

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dave right as usual

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

kurt angle walked so perc angle could run

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Other stuff from Dave:

Austin agreed to do Mania and a fight sequence with Owens, but turned down a full match
Creative's plan is Cody/Seth for Mania if the signing's official; talks ongoing
Vince still expected involved in the Pat McAfee match, he had second thoughts about advertising himself for a match, not about getting in the ring for one

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Other stuff from Dave:

Austin agreed to do Mania and a fight sequence with Owens, but turned down a full match
Creative's plan is Cody/Seth for Mania if the signing's official; talks ongoing
Vince still expected involved in the Pat McAfee match, he had second thoughts about advertising himself for a match, not about getting in the ring for one

none of these will happen + highly doubt cena/rock will be coming back. Guess they'll have to get Goldberg again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Vertical Lime posted:

so the tag title match from raw got 4.5 snowflakes

and the match where ziggler won the nxt title got 4.25

That tag title match was legit good, did not watch NXT 2.0 but that rating doesn't surprise me too much either. They're having pretty good matches over there these days, just not a ton of eyes on em.