Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Double post ignore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

KitConstantine posted:

A Russian scholar pointed out that bit of the Putin conversation today that seems to have been overlooked
https://twitter.com/ArtyomLukin/status/1502232703902666754?t=1VxY8pRNj2RkhTNSz6sgVg&s=19
Maybe this is why they want to bring in Syrian fighters? Put them out of sight in Ukraine and keep back some trustworthy Russian troops to post on NATO borders?

"Reinforcements to its western border" also brings to mind a certain 1300 kilometre long non-NATO western border which Russia has with Finland

Finland needs to join NATO like yesterday, or at the very least pursue MNNA status or really anything at all that could put NATO or US troops there officially, to deter Putin. Yeah I know y'all will say "surely he won't be dumb enough to try to invade Finland", you mean, just like he wasn't dumb enough to actually invade Ukraine? :smith:

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Willo567 posted:

There was intelligence that Russia was preparing to invade Ukraine since December.

I'm being honest here, I didn't believe that intelligence, I thought it was dumb standard Russia/US saber rattling. I'm not alone, you can find plenty of people willing to admit they thought the imminent invasion was histrionics and we were wrong. Our base assumptions - the Russian government are sane, they were already in a great position, US intelligence is made up of dogbrained Havana syndrome hysterics and corrupt ghouls - turned out to be incorrect.

My point is, having been wrong about all that, what else might I be wrong about? I'm not willing to throw out the idea of Putin bombing Poland just because it doesn't make sense. None of this makes sense.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

jaete posted:

"Reinforcements to its western border" also brings to mind a certain 1300 kilometre long non-NATO western border which Russia has with Finland

Finland needs to join NATO like yesterday, or at the very least pursue MNNA status or really anything at all that could put NATO or US troops there officially, to deter Putin. Yeah I know y'all will say "surely he won't be dumb enough to try to invade Finland", you mean, just like he wasn't dumb enough to actually invade Ukraine? :smith:

maybe. he is dumb and probably desperate enough too.

TulliusCicero posted:

If Putin and his staff really think that opening a second front in the Baltics, sending foreign legion bullshit to Ukraine, and putting more troops on the border with the West is remotely a good plan then he's actually a worse strategist somehow than a dementia ridden Hitler.

Is his entire staff on meth?! THIS shambling pathetic Potempkin army is going to invade Europe? Putin, you are getting worked by Ukraine. UKRAINE. The EU by itself would annihilate him conventionally in weeks.

idk if he will "open a front" per say, but i do think he is gonna try to put some armies on some boarders as a gently caress you threat. maybe go after finland.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Another one (reportedly) bites the dust!
https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1502260149163073539?t=XdrRV_zn4FHsngZikFonEw&s=19
They should really stop having generals die, it seems like a bad idea!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

jaete posted:

Attacking Finland would be certifiably insane, especially now while Ukraine is already giving them a run for their money.

I agree with the assessment that if these plans are being seriously considered Russia is no longer a remotely rational actor.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Is there any Russian interest in Transnistria beyond “gently caress with Moldova”. It’s seems to be a pathetically small piece of land.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Russia isn't just banning Facebook/instagram/whatsapp, they're declaring the parent company Meta a terrorist organization
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1502253590815154179?t=sDdiyTo1uT5vLNt1Ljf3UQ&s=19
I mean Facebook is lovely and evil, but terrorists?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

Russia isn't just banning Facebook/instagram/whatsapp, they're declaring the parent company Meta a terrorist organization
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1502253590815154179?t=sDdiyTo1uT5vLNt1Ljf3UQ&s=19

When they're right they're right

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Often Abbreviated posted:

I'm being honest here, I didn't believe that intelligence, I thought it was dumb standard Russia/US saber rattling. I'm not alone, you can find plenty of people willing to admit they thought the imminent invasion was histrionics and we were wrong. Our base assumptions - the Russian government are sane, they were already in a great position, US intelligence is made up of dogbrained Havana syndrome hysterics and corrupt ghouls - turned out to be incorrect.

My point is, having been wrong about all that, what else might I be wrong about? I'm not willing to throw out the idea of Putin bombing Poland just because it doesn't make sense. None of this makes sense.

I'm not talking about some posters on a dead comedy forum, I'm talking about actual foreign intelligence determining Russia's plans.

Until there's intelligence that Russia's about to invade Finland and Poland I would not rely on a random Twitter account on what Russia/Putin may do next, especially since said Twitter account thinks they're about to deploy tactical nukes

https://twitter.com/ArtyomLukin/status/1502234302066614272

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

TulliusCicero posted:

Attacking Finland would be certifiably insane, especially now while Ukraine is already giving them a run for their money.

I agree with the assessment that if these plans are being seriously considered Russia is no longer a remotely rational actor.

Finland is in the EU so that would be a straight up war with everybody in the EU. There's no way they're that stupid.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Often Abbreviated posted:

Six weeks ago I would have said the same about attacking Ukraine. Russian leadership may not be making the smartest decisions.

Invading Ukraine and starting WW3 are two completely different levels of dumb decision. One is dumb but believable, and we even had intelligence saying this could happen for months in advance. The other is nonsense and there are no indications it will happen besides vague, possibly poorly translated tweets from an anonymous source.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

TulliusCicero posted:

He may be actually trying to drag nato into the war for purely domestic reasons. He might think it easier to get Russians into a war mentality of “these sacrifices are for the nation” if they’re fighting the US directly instead of Ukrainian family members.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

alex314 posted:

Motivation is one thing, but even if they were on a holy crusade to remove "drugged out nazis" all those dudes are useful for in the offensive is manning some checkpoints or maybe helping with logistics. Person that sent them to screen armoured spearheads should be hanged for warcrimes.

I have no problems with volunteers helping themselves to some logistics, I'll confess.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Knowing the original song, that's quite a funny take on it. :roflolmao:

:ukraine:

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

KitConstantine posted:

Seems like a perfectly fine idea to me...

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!

KitConstantine posted:

I wonder if this will allow them to conduct some cyber attacks on meta. They might just see this as the justification.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Is there any Russian interest in Transnistria beyond “gently caress with Moldova”. It’s seems to be a pathetically small piece of land.

It was originally about "keep Moldova from owning a shitload of military equipment we'd like to keep and can't easily move out of our crumbling empire". Nowadays the bases are a non issue and it's just about loving over Moldova and having a totally-not-Russia slum to gently caress with the region from.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

fez_machine posted:

Again that's defining sanctions working in terms of change in government or internal policy (which the only successful example I can think of is South Africa).

American financial sanctions against the UK were pretty successful in 1956:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suez_Crisis#Financial_pressure

The Suez crisis could be a pretty reasonable analogy for current events. A declining empire decides to try pull of one last gamble while it still can. It uses a weak pretext of anti-fascism to make a bold deployment of paratroops. The world says ‘no, that is clearly an imperialist adventure’. Internal propaganda is unable to bridge the gap between claims and reality. Those responsible get regime-changed.

Main difference is that the 1950s Anglo-French armies were actually logistically competent and uncorrupt, so the military side of things was actually successful. Plus regime change in the UK is rather more polite than in Russia, with Anthony Eden surviving until the 1970s without even having to go into exile.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

KitConstantine posted:

Yes. It’s existence terrorizes me.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

KitConstantine posted:

*Insert The Worst Person You Know Just Made A Great Point here*

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TulliusCicero posted:

If Putin and his staff really think that opening a second front in the Baltics, sending foreign legion bullshit to Ukraine, and putting more troops on the border with the West is remotely a good plan then he's actually a worse strategist somehow than a dementia ridden Hitler.

Is his entire staff on meth?! THIS shambling pathetic Potempkin army is going to invade Europe? Putin, you are getting worked by Ukraine. UKRAINE. The EU by itself would annihilate him conventionally in weeks.

The problem is that Russia is entering the Cool Zone, unfortunately.

Everyone in charge there right now has to be making GBS threads bricks and there's no clear exit path or escape for any of them that doesn't get a lot worse before it even begins to get better. There's a reason that *everyone* who can leave Russia right now is doing so.

Who knows what the gently caress they're going to do or what's gonna happen there over the next few months. Not gonna be pretty at all and all sorts of crazy poo poo might go down because they're all dumb and panicking with bad information.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

My nipples burst with delight at the thought of 16.000 Syrian fighters stuck in a constantly freezing and thawing radioactive pine forrest outside of Kyiv, trying to coordinate a non-existing supply line via open commercial grade short-wave radios in a language they don’t speak. See also: Chechens in Ukraine.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if Putin does use a nuclear weapon. Russia has been consistently embarrassed during this war and is now looking weak. What better way to remind other countries that whatever you may think about Russia's strategy and logistics, they still have the nukes. I'm not even sure if the West would respond militarily to a nuclear attack on Ukraine.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Willo567 posted:

I'm not talking about some posters on a dead comedy forum, I'm talking about actual foreign intelligence determining Russia's plans.

Until there's intelligence that Russia's about to invade Finland and Poland I would not rely on a random Twitter account on what Russia/Putin may do next, especially since said Twitter account thinks they're about to deploy tactical nukes

His interpretation about the nukes may be wrong but the statement about building up Russian troops at the western border is taken straight from this readout of a meeting Putin had with his Security Council
http://kremlin.ru/events/president/news/67960
Translated quote:

quote:

[Shiogu]
And finally, thirdly, Vladimir Vladimirovich, this is a more serious matter, and I ask for your approval. The General Staff has considered all the measures that the West is taking to strengthen its forces near our western borders. Every day more and more new units are arriving, they are deploying, and this is happening against the background of the fact that they are absolutely not in danger in this case. Nevertheless, it seems to us that, taking advantage of this situation, they want to maximally saturate our border area on the other side with forces and means and, of course, consolidate this, it seems, for a long time.

Based on this, the General Staff is developing and actually completing a plan to strengthen our western borders, including, of course, those new, modern complexes, and to move combat units there to protect our western borders.

[Putin]
And the third question, regarding the strengthening of the western borders of the Russian Federation in connection with the actions that NATO countries are taking in this direction, as if in response to what they are doing, this requires separate consideration. I ask you to prepare a separate report and report back. Based on the results of its discussion, we will make an appropriate decision in the near future.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Putin wants to blame Nato, but he doesn't actually wants to fight it. Next to civil unrest on a level he can't control getting dirty with Nato is the only way he could actually get deposed and that's something he wants to avoid at all cost.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

small butter posted:

At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if Putin does use a nuclear weapon. Russia has been consistently embarrassed during this war and is now looking weak. What better way to remind other countries that whatever you may think about Russia's strategy and logistics, they still have the nukes. I'm not even sure if the West would respond militarily to a nuclear attack on Ukraine.

If Russia uses nuclear weapons in Ukraine then Russia eats the fallout.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

KitConstantine posted:

Maybe this is a some sort of a 5D chess move we’re just too dumb to understand.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Charlz Guybon posted:

That supposed "FBS" source has leaked more and I think it's worth taking a look.

I'm searching for the most appropriate smiley.
Maybe :coronatoot: or :derp: or :stonklol:

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

TulliusCicero posted:

There’s a logic to “we we aren’t going to get any more sanctioned might as well go for it.”

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

KitConstantine posted:

Literally the only sane and sensible thing the russian governments done this year.

Oh the Deutsche Bank front, the reason given for not leaving:
We’re there to support our clients. And so, for practical purposes, that isn’t an option that’s available to us. Nor would it be the right thing to do in terms of managing those client relationships and helping them to manage their situation,” James von Moltke (CFO).

Also "In an announcement released Wednesday, the bank said that included gross loan exposure to Russia of $1.4 billion euros ($1.55 billion), or 0.3% of its total loan book." lol. That might technically be true, but like gently caress that's the actual amount of russian cash they have.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/10/deutsche-bank-says-not-practical-to-exit-russia-business.html

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

jaete posted:

I think he'd fare a lot worse than in Ukraine if he tried. But still, lets resurrect Mannerheim, just in case.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This thread absolutely doesn’t allow calling for someone to shoot Putin.

I mean, on this page someone said some russian generals died and someone responded "that seems fine". Something that would be HORRIFYING to say about any other sort of group. But isn't horrifying because it's war and it's enemy generals.

Facebook is just saying "no dumbass, don't click report for violence and racism on something like that, no we aren't going to treat it the same as someone saying 'good' on a news story about jews dying, it's a different thing and you know it" not allowing some sort of "hate speech".

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

KitConstantine posted:

Emotional and psychological terrorists. And they did help do a genocide.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

small butter posted:

I'm not even sure if the West would respond militarily to a nuclear attack on Ukraine.

China and pretty much every other country in the world would cut them off completely. plenty of countries like dealing with corrupt dictators, no one wants to deal with the crazy gently caress who literally pressed the button to start world war 3.

Pretty sure no matter what bunker the coward hid himself someone would in russia would see putin dead in the hour, no matter how chicken poo poo they normally are.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ataxerxes posted:

He is in a strange posture, like he leans at the table to stop his right hand from shaking. There was a video of him meeting Lukashenka just before the war, where jis right hand was shaking strangely. Maybe the rumours of Parkinson's are true.

Don't tell me he is copying his rolemodel down to the last detail! :hitler: That's some dedication.

:ukraine:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Caros posted:

I mean, I think that is what the mobile crematoriums were for, wasn't it?
:vince:

gay picnic defence posted:

The only issue is that it needs to be a massive screen.

The optics on the current Javelin work out to 2km which probably means you need to be screening almost that far in every direction from your tank. But there's a newer model in development that has an even longer range, and at that point the tank you are screening is going to be so far from the screen that it might not actually be worth having on the battlefield.
I've been thinking about this a lot, and I'm starting to wonder the same thing. Militaries had this same debate after the Yom Kippur War due especially to the Egyptian military's very effective use of the AT-3 Sagger anti-tank missile. The early Saggers had ranges up to 3000m, so militaries have dealt with ATGMs with such long ranges before, but modern anti-tank weapons have some key differences:
  • They only require one operator, rather than a small team.
  • They have less backblast, which makes them harder to spot and opens up more places to shoot from (such as inside of buildings)
  • They are much faster. The Javelin travels at 430m/sec, compared to the AT-3 Sagger's 115m/sec.
  • They are fire and forget.
So in the past you'd have a team of 2-3 soldiers create this huge cloud of dust which you could spot with the naked eye, and then its target had 10-15 seconds to react: dodge, find cover, shoot back, whatever. Now you have to spot one soldier in a window and you have 4-5 seconds to react.

Smokeless gunpowder dramatically changed the battlefield, not because bullets were stronger, but because they fundamentally altered the battlefield by making things visible which had hitherto been hidden. The incremental changes to modern, man-portable ATGMs may end up having a similarly outsized effect. I don't know, though: Javelins are bulky and heavy. The mud has also prevented Russian mechanized forces from doing much more than driving down a narrow and predictable avenue of approach. The battlespace is kind of ideal from an anti-armor perspective at the moment. That said, I haven't seen swarms of infantry out and about, so I think a lot of Russian armor losses are attributable to bad tactics and an unprofessional officer corps.

Telsa Cola posted:

What do you think the effective fire range of an abrams is? This goes out to everyone also discussing how 2km Javelin range is a deal breaker.
Nowadays it's about 5000m for the main gun. The coaxial machinegun is still limited to around 1200m. I have a theory that the 8.6mm machinegun currently being evaluated in parallel with the Next Generation Squad Weapon (NGSW) program is also intended for the mechanized forces, even though all of the published material only mentions it in the context of the infantry. (An 8.6mm machinegun could probably reach out to 1800-2000m).

Fun fact: the US Abrams originally envisioned using an M2 .50 caliber machinegun as its coax.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The Abrams is 62 tons.
Over 70 tons for the newest versions. They replaced copper data cables with optical cables in one of the newer iterations and saved about 2 tons, but I thought it was immediately taken back by a new auxiliary generator, etc. The M1's I used almost 20 years ago were 68 tons. All of this is before adding anything like a mine plow or rollers or whatever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Wuxi posted:

Putin wants to blame Nato, but he doesn't actually wants to fight it. Next to civil unrest on a level he can't control getting dirty with Nato is the only way he could actually get deposed and that's something he wants to avoid at all cost.

my guess is if he feels backed in, he will raid finland or some other country in some dumb hope of masculinity. but most likely. i think he will do a bunch of border build ups.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 11, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Willo567 posted:

Yeah, the proliferation of no name Twitter accounts spreading obvious bullshit under the guise of iNtEl (or unsourced fragments of sensationalist information of any sort) is such a terrible obstacle to actually learning about the conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

dr_rat posted:

China and pretty much every other country in the world would cut them off completely. plenty of countries like dealing with corrupt dictators, no one wants to deal with the crazy gently caress who literally pressed the button to start world war 3.

Pretty sure no matter what bunker the coward hid himself someone would in russia would see putin dead in the hour, no matter how chicken poo poo they normally are.

Where is that Shadow President gif that the forums love so much

ik edit:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 11, 2022