Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

what the gently caress is going on with COD where it’s talking 30+ minutes to compile shaders!!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

what the gently caress is going on with COD where it’s talking 30+ minutes to compile shaders!!?

Who the gently caress knows but it was pretty bad even on the Xbox

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

SkateBIRD. You’re a bird.

That skates.

Unfortunately this game completely sucks rear end.

Anyone else play the aperture desk job thing valve put out? I don’t have a deck so I just used a controller. It’s very short and kinda cute. No tasty new morsels of portal/half life lore to be found. There were a few decent jokes and they got JK Simmons back.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

some games have a lotta shaders

It's particularly egregious in games that start life as console exclusives, where they can fully bake the shaders offline so theres less incentive to keep the shader count in check. Then say, Detroit Become Human or Horizon Zero Dawn come to PC with 30-40 minutes of shader compilation on first boot and whenever you update your driver.

Horizon at least got patched to do compilation more gracefully, now it does it in the background during gameplay but tries to predict what's going to be needed before it's needed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

man I do not miss pc gaming one bit

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
since the steam deck is fixed hardware, shaders can be pre-compiled for it as well

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

repiv posted:

By compile ahead of time I mean compile at runtime but before the shader is required, which is how any competent VK/DX12 renderer works

It's easy to pre-compile your shaders, just follow this handy chart:

Just make your QA team repeatedly play your game and hope they find all the shaders you actually need. Easy-peasy!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

That's an Unreal specific issue, they have some wild technical debt that makes it hard for them to frontload shader compilation

The majority of games that are shipping VK or DX12 now don't have shader compilation stutter

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1501983326705356801?s=21

Really interested to see some benchmarks

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Millions of shaders probably.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

JazzFlight posted:

This shader thing makes me wonder if all non-Steam games will have possible performance issues. Like, I was happy it looked like I could run my free Epic store (or other company's) games on the Steam Deck, but annoyingly they won't have the same support that native Steam versions will have.

So any problem with Epic games would almost certainly be the same problems any other PC has. The reason there is a performance boost here with the Deck is because they know the hardware. On PC the game never knows the hardware until runtime (like I'd assume Epic probably won't know the Deck's hardware until runtime). So non-Steam games wouldn't have any performance "problems" that any other similar PC would have, though I'd imagine its unlikely it'd have some of the nice shortcuts that are popping up for a few titles.

Cool, I like the idea of having a SD Card for Windows I could pop in when I want. I may, uhhh, wait for audio drivers first though (whenever my Q2 deck actually ships)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I assume the Steam shader cache sharing stuff only works for genuine Steam games, and not other stuff you run through Proton?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

repiv posted:

I assume the Steam shader cache sharing stuff only works for genuine Steam games, and not other stuff you run through Proton?

That is correct.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I played Elden Ring through Proton on my regular PC and the performance was much better without any stutter so I don't think it's Deck-specific. From what I've gathered Proton can sometimes have better performance because they can implement Windows API-level fixes that would otherwise require the developers themselves doing.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
The stutters on Elden ring are directly related to shader compilation. So if proton can pre-compile shaders, then great. If not then what you are experiencing is just placebo. I don't know if proton outside of steam downloading the shaders for hte hardware can do that.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Question, can I load the new steamOS on my desktop computer?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kind of but not quite yet, they've released the recovery image for the Steam Deck and people have had some success in installing it on PCs but it's not intended to be used that way

Valve is going to release a proper generic SteamOS 3.0 installer later at some point

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Kwolok posted:

The stutters on Elden ring are directly related to shader compilation. So if proton can pre-compile shaders, then great. If not then what you are experiencing is just placebo. I don't know if proton outside of steam downloading the shaders for hte hardware can do that.

vkd3d-proton (the Direct3D 12 implementation) has three Elden Ring specific bug workarounds which I have to assume are included in the Windows graphics drivers by now

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kwolok posted:

I know with DXVK, shader compilation doesn't pause the game to compile the shaders. This means that the effect isn't displayed whenever a shader doesn't compile in time, but it also eliminates stuttering. Maybe proton does something similar?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I know with DXVK, shader compilation doesn't pause the game to compile the shaders. This means that the effect isn't displayed whenever a shader doesn't compile in time, but it also eliminates stuttering. Maybe proton does something similar?

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/03/how-valve-made-steam-deck-the-first-pc-to-smoothly-run-elden-ring/

Here is an article that goes into depth with why steam deck runs elden ring without stutter.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kwolok posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/03/how-valve-made-steam-deck-the-first-pc-to-smoothly-run-elden-ring/

Here is an article that goes into depth with why steam deck runs elden ring without stutter.

Yes, but the question is why does elden ring run better through proton on a desktop pc than normally in windows?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes, but the question is why does elden ring run better through proton on a desktop pc than normally in windows?

Because Windows will not pre compile the shaders. It only relies on just in time compilation. Which is often not quite just in time.

Or to be clear, because from software won't add it to the title. If you could somehow download the shaders for your specific system it could have the same results but every hardware configuration will have a different compilation set. So there would have to be a massive database for all the different configs. The ubiquitous hardware of the deck is what makes this possible.

Edit: and when I say from software won't add it to the title, the it I mean is precompile at title screen or something equivalent. Forza, CoD, and others precompile the shaders on game launch. It can be a pain cause it can take time and has to happen on every update and driver update but it does solve the stutter issue in gameplay.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 11, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

My question is if Elden Ring is compiling all of the shaders on the fly which causes the stuttering, why does it keep stuttering in the same exact spots? Is it just recompiling them all, all of the time?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
From what I've read: Yup. Plus a host of extremely pathological behaviour. They are that incompetent.

It should be noted that pre-compiling shaders has been a thing since shaders existed, so they really have no excuse for not doing it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Surely the excuse is that for Pc you’d have millions of hardware variations that you’d need to render for?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What is it about shaders that require compiling on a per hardware basis? I don't know anything about programming, graphics pipelines, or the nitty gritty of hardware architectures but this seems really convoluted.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
From the changelog at https://github.com/HansKristian-Work/vkd3d-proton/releases/tag/v2.6:

quote:

Workaround quirky API usage in Elden Ring. Removes many kinds of stutter and chug when traversing the scenery.

Related code:
https://github.com/HansKristian-Work/vkd3d-proton/blob/master/libs/vkd3d/device.c#L500

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sigher posted:

What is it about shaders that require compiling on a per hardware basis? I don't know anything about programming, graphics pipelines, or the nitty gritty of hardware architectures but this seems really convoluted.

Instead of having a fixed instruction set, modern GPUs are highly flexible (and by "modern" i mean anything made in the last 17 years). GPUs can essentially be programmed with shaders to do anything you need them to do with a high degree of efficiency, but to do so you have to compile the graphics code differently for every hardware configuration. Traditionally, this means you do on-the-fly compilation, which is usually not so taxing to be noticeable. Or you do it on level loading. Consoles work the same way, but since there are only one or two possible hardware configurations for each console, devs can compile the shaders ahead of time and ship them on the disc (or through the initial download)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

sigher posted:

My question is if Elden Ring is compiling all of the shaders on the fly which causes the stuttering, why does it keep stuttering in the same exact spots? Is it just recompiling them all, all of the time?

There's two main types of stutter in ER, shader compilation stutter that eventually goes away as the driver cache fills up, but also stutter related to streaming in new areas that never goes away.

The streaming stutter is weirdly inconsistent, some areas get it worse than others. The starting area where the first Tree Sentinel and dragon are is especially bad.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Surely the excuse is that for Pc you’d have millions of hardware variations that you’d need to render for?

It's a poo poo excuse because they aren't the first people running into this. Compiling shaders during load is normal. It's why some games need some time when you change graphics settings.

This is basically amateur hour poo poo. Anyone with a profiler would've caught this and their pathological abuse of the API. Stalling for hundreds of ms at a time isn't exactly subtle…

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

reservation got pushed to After Q3 2022 :negative:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Remember that guy who was like, Microsoft's Xbox game studios are going to sabotage games in Proton? Here's a higher up guy at Xbox Games marketing on that topic:

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/1501973514684813320

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ColdPie posted:

Remember that guy who was like, Microsoft's Xbox game studios are going to sabotage games in Proton? Here's a higher up guy at Xbox Games marketing on that topic:

Dastardly!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fkn M$ strikes again!!
:argh:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

ColdPie posted:

It's all a ruse! That poster worked in IT so he knows this poo poo man.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Flight Sim unsupported due to anti cheat :thunk:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Truly the most insidious sabotage Microsoft can manage - making Fallout 4 playable on the Steam Deck.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

reservation got pushed to After Q3 2022 :negative:

Same. This is bullshit.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Continuing the Elden Ring discussion: on my Windows PC the Easy Anti-cheat takes like 30 seconds to load/go away. On Linux (non-Deck) it basically appears for a second before disappearing. Not sure what the hell is going on but I'll take it as I prefer to game on Linux anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Xbox has been pretty clear that they want their customers subscribing to GamePass and paying monthly to play their games and all but saying they don’t give a poo poo where. When they committed to releasing every first party game day and date on GamePass on console and pc, they fully threw themselves into being a subscription platform that also happens to release ideal hardware to host that platform rather than vice versa.

If they could get a native Xbox app on Steam OS, I expect they’d be more than happy to. I wonder how well the app works on Deck with Windows installed.

GamePass owns, give it to me on Deck, Phil.