Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

re Disco's latest episode why is this story so drawn out, it's been taking forever to even get to the aliens and we haven't even seen them? It's been stretched out so much we've had multiple double crosses between Book and Tarka and the Discovery crew, like this started four episodes ago these aliens aren't interesting enough to warrant this amount of attention. Could have been a two parter at best and not a very good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I never would have imagined that the idea that there's something wrong with Q would be interesting, but De Lancie is so good that it avoided the stupid that it could've been. The idea that Q can get sick or start losing his mind or whatever they're hinting at is creepy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zesty posted:

Forgiveness for what? Did I miss something or is that a season long mystery?

Blowing up the Stargazer and killing the Legion Borg Queen. The whole thing was coded in giant blinking neon lights with THIS IS NOT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE, YOU ARE MAKING A MISTAKE HERE. The point of Mr. Q’s Wild Ride this season is convincing Picard to undo that fucky wucky and spare the Borg the next time around.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 11, 2022

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

WHY DOES STARFLEET SECURITY HAVE NINJA STARS :lol:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Mirror Future Okinawa looks suspiciously like Modern Day Hong Kong

They didn't even try to hide it, Wing On logo on one of the skyscrapers still there

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So nobody's bothered that we've killed every other civilization the show's talked about but somehow are still at war with the vulcans?
I dunno, the story still seems messy and too convenient to me.

Ramadu posted:

It's their comm badge
I mean it's still silly, but yea

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Taear posted:

So nobody's bothered that we've killed every other civilization the show's talked about but somehow are still at war with the vulcans?

It's their comm badge

ok sure that makes sense

BUT

he threw it like a ninja star. the rules are clear

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Kill All Cops posted:

They didn't even try to hide it, Wing On logo on one of the skyscrapers still there

terrorist attacks and fascist police gunning down rebels in the streets of Hong Kong would be too on the nose

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Taear posted:

It's their comm badge

I think they said it was an uprising. The Confederation clearly takes slaves, prisoners, and vassal states out of its conquered foes. It sounds like the Vulcans routinely rebel and are easily quelled, but hard to exterminate completely. Confederate Picard killed Sarek on Vulcan in front of a whole crowd of onlookers including Spock Sybok, and that didn’t seem to break their resolve one bit.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 11, 2022

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

nine-gear crow posted:

I think they said it was an uprising. The Confederation clearly takes slaves, prisoners, and vassal states out of its conquered foes. It sounds like the Vulcans routinely rebel and are easily quelled, but hard to exterminate completely. Confederate Picard killed Sarek on Vulcan in front of a whole crowd of onlookers including Spock Sybok, and that didn’t seem to break their resolve one bit.

SURELY if they've exterminated the borg they can exterminate the Vulcans pretty easily?
Unless it's just humans on there uprising

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Looks like Earth itself is in a state of constant rebellion, their genocidal actions probably got a lot of attention just like the Borg. Also confirmed O'Brien and Yar are still around annihilating everyone else in murder campaigns

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

nine-gear crow posted:

Blowing up the Stargazer and killing the Legion Borg Queen. The whole thing was coded in giant blinking neon lights with THIS IS NOT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE, YOU ARE MAKING A MISTAKE HERE. The point of Mr. Q’s Wild Ride this season is convincing Picard to undo that fucky wucky and spare the Borg the next time around.

Yeah, everything in that sequence seemed, obviously knowing it's a star trek show, that the borg queen in that circumstance was likely being literal about needing power, hence the whole thing about starting negotiations 'now'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On the other hand given the character's knowledge 'the queen is stunning everyone not killing them' is not a good thing because we all know what the Borg do with live captives.

It's coded for the audience but Picard is absolutely right to blow up the ship.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Alchenar posted:

It's coded for the audience but Picard is absolutely right to blow up the drat ship.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean it was good that the show acknowledged that Picard has been through the events and character growth of First Contact. No loving about, the situation is out of control so you don't hesitate to blow up the ship. It would have been retreading ground Star Trek has done before but it might have been interesting to see Elnor do the modern Kobyashi Maru in E1 and then have the borg appear in E2 and reveal that this is Picard's real life solution. That's not the story they are telling though.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, everything in that sequence seemed, obviously knowing it's a star trek show, that the borg queen in that circumstance was likely being literal about needing power, hence the whole thing about starting negotiations 'now'.

I also don't understand the motivation of that Legion Borg Queen. Are we to think that she is really so stupid not to understand how the Federation will interpret her actions? I get that they are doing the whole "she isn't really bad thing even if she does something that looks really bad" trope but that isn't really an excuse.
By now the Borg are so familiar with humans that this just feels a bit too contrived. They even went as far as not just the Queen being threatening but her taking over the whole fleet. How could you NOT see this as real threat? If the reaction of Picard to that is really the "sin" that Q mentions this would be ridiculous, especially considering that Q used the Borg in the past to scare Picard/humanity.
So I'm still very sceptical that this whole thing won't fall apart just like S1.

Btw I also didn't buy the "something is wrong with Q" angle. This feels like retconning Q or have we forgotten how he acted in the past? There really was nothing unusual about Q's behaviour, it's just Picard saying so and the audience having to accept that but what is the basis for Picard's read on Q?
I'm sure they will explore it in future episodes and retroactively justify Picard's opinion but that doesn't mean it was actually justified by the interactions of the characters.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Someone upthread mentioned there's a couple of points where DeLancie absolutely nails the "elderly dementia-sufferer" look/reaction after he hits Picard, and my wife pointed out the exact same thing during that scene. I think it's being telegraphed pretty hard, tbh.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Someone upthread mentioned there's a couple of points where DeLancie absolutely nails the "elderly dementia-sufferer" look/reaction after he hits Picard, and my wife pointed out the exact same thing during that scene. I think it's being telegraphed pretty hard, tbh.

Also in the Ready Room aftershow interview he did with Wil Wheaton, DeLancie and Wheaton both said several times during it “So something is clearly wrong with Q, but we can’t tell you what it is yet, wink wink”.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Ramadu posted:

A SAFE GALAXY IS A HUMAN GALAXY

Picardbanned poster xXBorgslayer69Xx

Picard S2E2 was a quarter of a two-parter, stretched into a full episode's runtime. Hopefully it moves the plot faster and will be a good two-parter.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

LinkesAuge posted:

Btw I also didn't buy the "something is wrong with Q" angle. This feels like retconning Q or have we forgotten how he acted in the past? There really was nothing unusual about Q's behaviour, it's just Picard saying so and the audience having to accept that but what is the basis for Picard's read on Q?
I'm sure they will explore it in future episodes and retroactively justify Picard's opinion but that doesn't mean it was actually justified by the interactions of the characters.

It's pretty obvious there's something wrong with Q, he made the wrong sound when he used his powers to age himself up :v:.

I was going to say that with the mention of Sisko and 2024, that it seemed like Q finally got his revenge on Sisko for punching him by murdering him when he was posing as Bell but then I remembered that the Bell Riot happened in San Franciso not LA.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I never would have imagined that the idea that there's something wrong with Q would be interesting, but De Lancie is so good that it avoided the stupid that it could've been. The idea that Q can get sick or start losing his mind or whatever they're hinting at is creepy.

It's the other side of Loki right? Loki is on a reluctant journey of self discovery to find out he is a poo poo person and maybe that's why nobody likes him. No imagine if a trickster god lost his sense of sanity and weird morality. Not through any fault of his own (maybe) but because he is just losing his mind slowly.

Ramadu posted:

Autocratic regime love improbably tacticool weapons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's a shame that's the uniform design they went with for the Confederacy, because it looks like it would've been a great evolution of the First Contact/DS9 uniforms.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a shame that's the uniform design they went with for the Confederacy, because it looks like it would've been a great evolution of the First Contact/DS9 uniforms.

Not the neck pieces though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erulisse posted:

:hmmyes:

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Erulisse posted:

Based on what happened in this episode they probably should have included gorgets.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
And why do they call them gorgets when the point is NOT to get gored!?

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I'm fine with the Q going crazy angle, he clearly loses his composure multiple times in front of Picard, there is a sinister side to him but also something desperate in what he's saying. Picard has had enough encounters with him that he would tell something is off, Q has always had a cruel streak but never really angry unless he's been bested. The face slap was great, and I'd like to think the bloody nose was an old rear end callback to his line in "Q, Who?", I like that even when Q is trying to help he can't help but mock humanity and it's inferiority. I also can't help feel there's some meta commentary from Q of how violent and dark NuTrek is and especially him tearing apart Picard for how dumb he's gotten since the TV show but that's just my own interpretation. So far two episodes in it's good, but I can't believe this show has gotten so much good will so far from the same writing team, did they plagiarize someone?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The "you know what you've done" and then Picard looking down in shame suggested that this is absolutely about the Legion Borg in episode 1 having been sincere, and if Q is terminally ill, it's probably that Q's dementia is causing him to want to cut to the chase to be sure that Picard reforms the way that Q wants him to before he succumbs to the illness

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Has anyone pointed out that the Confederation is not at all a confederate style of government?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tiberius Christ posted:

re Disco's latest episode why is this story so drawn out, it's been taking forever to even get to the aliens and we haven't even seen them? It's been stretched out so much we've had multiple double crosses between Book and Tarka and the Discovery crew, like this started four episodes ago these aliens aren't interesting enough to warrant this amount of attention. Could have been a two parter at best and not a very good one

Modern prestige-chasing writing is like in college when you'd desperately pad out your papers in every way possible except actually producing content about the topic at hand because that's like, actual work. Picard's the same way, so far in two episodes they've reached about the second commercial break of a normal episode's worth of content in a show that actually cared about getting you to the good stuff in an engaging manner.

I watched TNG's "Parallels" after that and it was so easy to imagine that episode becoming an entire season of today's Star Trek: Worf I couldn't stop laughing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SpartanIvy posted:

Has anyone pointed out that the Confederation is not at all a confederate style of government?

I dunno, they seemed pretty racist.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The sole value of season 1 was rebuilding an ensemble cast to support Picard. Since he wasn't a starship captain, his team didn't have jobs and set positions baked in but now they do.

Rios is Riker
Raffi is Troi (but can fight)
Seven is Worf
Elnore is Wesley (but can fight)
Jurati is also there.

Also, lmao

Helmsman, report: Are we having fun yet?!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Why was Raffi seemingly unaware of who Q is when Elnor knew of him, and Mariner knew him in LD?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nichael posted:

Why was Raffi seemingly unaware of who Q is when Elnor knew of him, and Mariner knew him in LD?
She’s smoked too much of the snake weed or whatever it was she was addicted to at the start of the series

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Because the show needs a character who isn’t already familiar with Q so the show can briefly explain who he is to the hypothetical viewer who doesn’t remember him from TNG or has never watched TNG.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kill All Cops posted:

It's a nitpick but it is bizarre. Why not just put it in Hong Kong? There wasn't anything Japanese about the scene, no reason for it to be Okinawa or if you insist on Okinawa, use a shot of a Japanese city, they have those. Welcome to our scene taking place in glorious Berlin! (b-roll of Manhattan)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Q has always leaned against the fourth wall ("You were more fun before the beard."), but him saying "yesterday's Enterprise" was SO loving JARRING.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Maybe it's the same reason that 24th Century France is full of British people.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPColin posted:

Q has always leaned against the fourth wall ("You were more fun before the beard."), but him saying "yesterday's Enterprise" was SO loving JARRING.

Jarring dialog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

McSpanky posted:

Modern prestige-chasing writing is like in college when you'd desperately pad out your papers in every way possible except actually producing content about the topic at hand because that's like, actual work. Picard's the same way, so far in two episodes they've reached about the second commercial break of a normal episode's worth of content in a show that actually cared about getting you to the good stuff in an engaging manner.

I watched TNG's "Parallels" after that and it was so easy to imagine that episode becoming an entire season of today's Star Trek: Worf I couldn't stop laughing.

Yeah, stretching out premises that would be good for a good two-parter over a 10-episode season is very modern TV. I could see how the time spanning adventure could fit into two 45-minute eps with some judicious cuts- most of episode 1 is fairly worthless, for example.