Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
5/8 gang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
mattias norlinder and his big dick 1 1/4

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Might as well skate on a flat piece of steel at that radius. I also love the 5/8 cut on my skates. Which looks to be extremely popular.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I like a 9/16" but some of those are wild, pro skating is a whole other level.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I do 5/8ths because it's fastest, the shop always has it on the wheel. But I could probably do fine on 1" because I only sharpen them when I find a huge nick in the blade and sometimes it's a year and a half later. Long as I'm not washing out in turns I'm happy.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
I'm used to super dull blades because I learned how to skate on speed skates, and also mostly because my dad didn't know that skates needed sharpening when I was young.

I love a fresh 3/4" but I usually get 11/16" if I can.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

1 1/4" holy poo poo

Connor McDavid uses a 1" IIRC

I use 1/2" because I've never bothered to try anything else

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I use a 1/2 because that is what Chemmy had written in sharpie at the bottom of the skates he sold me, and then the professional skate sharpener I go to knows me and just cuts it at 1/2 now even though I have new skates and don't have them written on the bottom anymore because "that's just what I get" and I don't know any better or why I would use anything different

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

lol I use 5/8s now because that’s the default at that place and I genuinely don’t care about my ROH.

The only good sharpener is real particular here. He wants a number sharpied on there.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I switched to 5/8 because a woman who was the equipment manager for a really high level girls team here in Ontario came and gave a short talk about skate sharpening to one of my learn to play classes and said everyone should give 5/8 a try to see if they like it better. I always found 1/2 was way too bitey.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Paul Coffey was a 1”, wasnt he?

One of the best skating strides ever

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

drat, I scored the OT-winner against the ringer team who has won like 8 of the past 12 championships in our league. That’s a first for me. Felt good. 95% of games that go into OT usually end in a stupid tie since it’s only 4 mins of running-clock.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

Paul Coffey was a 1”, wasnt he?

One of the best skating strides ever

I don't remember his hollow but I do remember hearing that he wore skates a size too small to give himself more control. He just loved super tight skates.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't remember his hollow but I do remember hearing that he wore skates a size too small to give himself more control. He just loved super tight skates.

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard of older skaters stuffing their skates with newspaper and the like to get them to stiffen up in some areas

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
what's the best radius for an "old" guy with lovely skating mechanics, bad knees, who probably added a good covid-10 over the last 2 years, and wants the best glide-for-effort ratio thanks in advance
i've been using 1/2 forever and I remember changing to something for about 1/4th a year and not liking it... might've been FBV :shrug:

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Duke Chin posted:

what's the best radius for an "old" guy with lovely skating mechanics, bad knees, who probably added a good covid-10 over the last 2 years, and wants the best glide-for-effort ratio thanks in advance
i've been using 1/2 forever and I remember changing to something for about 1/4th a year and not liking it... might've been FBV :shrug:

I would start going shallower until you start slipping too much.

If you have bad knees, I would also look into BladeTech. I haven't made the switch yet, but I've heard from guys that it really takes some of the brunt away from knees.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
lol the first google result for "bladetech" was not at all what I was expecting :jihad:

is this one of those floppy-blade like speed skater kinda deals?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
It looks like the toe portion has some play. I'd be curious since this time of year my knee seems to always bother me.

I will also say for our team if we have 8 guys vs their 12+ we always seem to play a ton better. We were just connecting really well tonight.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Duke Chin posted:

is this one of those floppy-blade like speed skater kinda deals?

calandryll posted:

It looks like the toe portion has some play. I'd be curious since this time of year my knee seems to always bother me.

Correct. https://bladetechhockey.com/

I'm eager to try them, but right now my StepSteel still has a lot of life left.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I don't understand some teams. Played again tonight against a team who is loving wild. In 20ish games one dude has 72 pims. I think their total is like 150. It's wild. Got slewfooted behind the net, he went knee to knee on me but no call. Like I'm in my 40s and need to work in the morning rear end in a top hat.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

calandryll posted:

I don't understand some teams. Played again tonight against a team who is loving wild. In 20ish games one dude has 72 pims. I think their total is like 150. It's wild. Got slewfooted behind the net, he went knee to knee on me but no call. Like I'm in my 40s and need to work in the morning rear end in a top hat.

Sounds like your league is pretty poorly run. That type of player would get a ban from most adult leagues.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

We scored 2 late goals last night (to make it a 6-4 win, it was a very close game) and after the 6th goal with 0.8s left on the clock the other team's goalie and 3 other skaters all left the ice before the horn and handshakes.

Some people are just garbage.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Pleads posted:

We scored 2 late goals last night (to make it a 6-4 win, it was a very close game) and after the 6th goal with 0.8s left on the clock the other team's goalie and 3 other skaters all left the ice before the horn and handshakes.

Some people are just garbage.

6-4 is a close rear end game in beer league. People like that blow my mind. I'm always fascinated/disgusted by people who take the game too seriously.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Ginette Reno posted:

Sounds like your league is pretty poorly run. That type of player would get a ban from most adult leagues.

That is a complete understatement. We've bitched about it for years and nothing gets done. But being the only beer league under an hour it sucks. I just looked it up that team has a total of 193 PIMS in 20 games. I can't fathom how you get that many in such a short amount of time.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Being in a popular beer league vs an unpopular one is a huge difference. My old D-league was so desperate for players that they never kicked out ringers, not even the guy who literally played in Juniors. In my new beer league at a different rink, the longest ringers ever stay is one season because they get forced to move up.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

calandryll posted:

I run a private pickup now for this exact reason.
Almost everyone who's played in leagues before and now refuge in my group has this exact story.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have no problem with people who leave before handshakes.

If you’ve got whatever poo poo going on in your life that makes this game and a loss/thing that happened in a beer league game that upsetting for you, you should leave before you do something more stupid. Best of luck with your life, hope you find your dad, etc.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My team left before handshakes once but it's because the other team was up like 14-3 and took a clapper from in close at our goalie's head. I also only play in private shinnies now and life is much happier.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
its been forever since I actually looked at hockey gear, I thought it was interesting that the newest vapors basically look like direct ripoffs of True skates, and are also several hundred dollars cheaper than they used to be

competition is good folks

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

its been forever since I actually looked at hockey gear, I thought it was interesting that the newest vapors basically look like direct ripoffs of True skates, and are also several hundred dollars cheaper than they used to be

I've never tried True Skates. I hope the Vapor line isn't radically changing because I've been wearing Vapors for years and they fit me perfectly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Me, over here, still fussy CCM killed off the jofa style shin guards and only make their stupid two strap design now, making me That Guy that buys used gear because he's too resistant to change.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

LowOnCyan posted:

I run a private pickup now for this exact reason.
Almost everyone who's played in leagues before and now refuge in my group has this exact story.

I also do a private pickup and they don't have guys like that and it's great. And really it's just that team, who are made up of dudes who started playing about 5 years ago and think Slapshot is the proper way to play. There are a few guys on there that are pretty decent dudes but the rest are just assholes.

The dude who has 72 PIMS had his girlfriend there, for a 10 pm game, cheering him on as he's trying to take on my teammate who is 6'3" 280.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Private pickup is always a fun and good skate, but I do end up missing refs calling a proper game. It just feels like a more complete experience when it's an actual contest.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
The guy who runs our pickup has had too many concussions, but he still wants to skate, so he refs for us. It's nice getting faceoffs, etc.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Our pickups are pretty competitive but we only get 50 minutes of ice time so I prefer not having whistles and face offs since they just eat up time.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

bewbies posted:

are also several hundred dollars cheaper than they used to be

Uh, what?

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

xzzy posted:

Private pickup is always a fun and good skate, but I do end up missing refs calling a proper game. It just feels like a more complete experience when it's an actual contest.

We have a ref that skates with us sometimes for the pickup, but yeah having a set team that plays together is nice.

I'm thinking of adding scorekeeping and music sometime soon

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Greetings from the ER after being tripped into the boards. No diagnosis yet, but I'd bet my shoulder is broken.

The worst part was they didn't even call a penalty.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Greetings from the ER after being tripped into the boards. No diagnosis yet, but I'd bet my shoulder is broken.

The worst part was they didn't even call a penalty.

Fuuuuck. Hope you heal up quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Recover swiftly and return with a vengeance, sweet goon.