Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Forum Joe posted:

I know about the Azov Battalion, and I still don’t know if you mean this in a “good” way or a “bad” way…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azov_Battalion#Neo-Nazism

I wish they talked about them as well, the carrds shared on social media for Ukraine relief list the Azov Batalion as a positive NGO to support :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ukraine had a lot of problems before the war, and if they survive, they will continue to have a lot of problems after the war. It is easy to imagine ways that the war could exacerbate Ukraine's problems. Of course, right now Ukraine is desperately fighting against a war of conquest, and most of Ukraine's internal issues aren't especially relevant to the external threat that is the source of the whole issue. There is a reason why after 9/11, nobody reported on the issues with the banks headquartered in the twin towers.

But for the main piece, we're still dealing with the consequences of the government's reactions to the crimewave of the 90s, and it's an issue on top of the other structural issues with the justice system and bad judges.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Azov is such a tiny tiny part of all of this, and helps Putin with his bullshit propaganda that Ukraine is filled to the brim with neo nazis. Meanwhile he sure is quiet about Wagner Group which is a Russian PMC that is being run by a neo nazi and has been active in Ukraine since 2014. In the end its all about one man who wants to be Czar of a reformed Russian Empire.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 11, 2022

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Ignis posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azov_Battalion#Neo-Nazism

I wish they talked about them as well, the carrds shared on social media for Ukraine relief list the Azov Batalion as a positive NGO to support :yikes:

I'd wager they didn't talk about them because they're aware that the Azov regiment doesn't represent the rest of the Ukraine armed forces, nor the country as a whole?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DurosKlav posted:

Azov is such a tiny tiny part of all of this, and helps Putin with his bullshit propaganda that Ukraine is filled to the brim with neo nazis. Meanwhile he sure is quiet about Wagner Group which is a Russian PMC that is being run by a neo nazi and has been active in Ukraine since 2014. In the end its all about one man who wants to be Czar of a reformed Russian Empire.

So it isn't propaganda! Ukraine IS full of neo Nazis now that Putin sent a bunch of them there

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't wanna both sides it because Russia is clearly the villain here, but the show buying into the Zelensky hero narrative just wants to make me wanna skip any stuff about Ukraine. I think more people should fuckin know about the Azov battalion though

It's a pretty easy narrative to buy into because he initially comes off as someone who probably shouldn't be a heroic figure given he's a former actor/comedian turned politician (which also contrasts with America's own recent experience with a former actor turned politician), but he's done all the right things to at least seem heroic; talking about wanting to open a dialogue, because that's the only way to finish this realistically, but refusing to back down or leave, using social media to repudiate Putin in various ways etc. Plus, he's a good looking dude and has done some things it's easy for people to latch onto, like voicing Paddingon Bear in the movie dubs in Ukraine. I don't know much about the guy beyond what news is reporting, which is all positive, but what is there about the guy that would suggest there shouldn't be a hero narrative around him? Especially when Ukraine having a hero leading the resistance makes them more effective on the world stage, and is almost certainly a net positive for them right now.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'd wager they didn't talk about them because they're aware that the Azov regiment doesn't represent the rest of the Ukraine armed forces, nor the country as a whole?

It'd also probably muddy the issue and throw a little "both sides it" into things to "but also here's some Neo Nazis in Ukraine". Even if he did go "but they don't give any justification for Putin", highlighting them is just going to throw shade at Ukraine in a situation where it doesn't actually mean anything. Why highlight the presence of nazis if they don't mean anything, or give justification after all?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well for starters I'm pretty sure he was featured on that episode about leaders world wide getting elected with Trump's playbook.

But that's getting into areas that aren't important right now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I also think that like “there’s bad people in Ukraine and it’s got its own share of serious domestic problems” should probably be a given and really doesn’t have much at all to did with this conflict or story. Ukraine aren’t the victims because they’re pure innocents. They’re the victims because what’s being done is wrong.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 12, 2022

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

You mean the neo-nazi party that won a whopping 3% of the national Ukrainian vote? As opposed to america where nearly half of our electorate is cozying up with fascist leaders?

Get the gently caress outta here.

(if there's any important context, its that Zelensky was elected specifically to fight corruption and had failed pretty terribly at it)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

STAC Goat posted:

I also think that like “there’s bad people in Ukraine and it’s got its own share of serious domestic problems” should probably be a given and really doesn’t have much at all to did with this conflict or story. Ukraine aren’t the victims because they’re pure innocents. They’re the victims because what’s being done is wrong.

Right, it’s exactly the same as the whole “he was no angel” bullshit that gets spun every time an unarmed black person gets shot in the back by cops.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

webmeister posted:

Right, it’s exactly the same as the whole “he was no angel” bullshit that gets spun every time an unarmed black person gets shot in the back by cops.

Another recent variation has been "Well they were fat/had comorbidities" when someone died of covid

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So I just found out Jon Stewart is doing a show again.

Is there a thread for it, or should we discuss it here?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
May as well do it here. I doubt there's much interest in what he has to say anymore.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh? Did he do something?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LividLiquid posted:

Oh? Did he do something?

He got all weird and ranty about the covid lab leak conspiracy theory

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He also hasn't updated his style from 7 years ago and a lot has changed from his 'there's value to finding a common ground for discussion' Neo lib poo poo.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The people who find interstitial clips for this show are experts at what they do, I expected the Jim Cramer bit to be something else but him repeatedly outing his wife as a Baconator fiend was funnier than anything I could imagine

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've liked the clips from Stewards new show I've seen and can overlook his weird covid lab rant, I'm not the type to put someone on the list for the firing squad just because of some minor misaligned views.

He talks about stuff like some of the current financial problems or climate change or goes over days of yore where he beats himself up about things like the interview with Rumsfeld and not nailing him during it and missing the opportunity.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 15, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I only saw the first episode and it was an interesting move to make it more of a roundtable discussion instead of just Jon yelling at things + a celebrity guest. Kinda like what they did with Larry Wilmore show. It makes it less entertaining to watch, frankly, but it also leads to more productive takeaways because you can get multiple perspectives in there. I wouldn't mind LWT trying something like that just because that style of one-way punditry is all growing very stale.

That said, I don't wanna listen to anything Jon Stewart has to say after that insane rant he went on. He did that poo poo like the week or two weeks after John Oliver did a whole segment on sinophobia WRT COVID. I don't think you can write that off as "minor misaligned views", it's racist and stupid as gently caress.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

LegalEagle covered the Hammers case on Youtube today. Turns out there were more Hammers left unmentioned from the original piece, each accompanied by hilarious Superbowl commercials.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZgTov7HZfQ

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I thought it was pretty telling that Oliver has covered all kinds of horrible corporation and situations, and explained why they're horrible in detail, and I think boos from the audience very rarely happen as far as I can recall (probably as part of what they're told before the show, I'm assuming), but as soon as Oliver put up that Ticketmaster image there was a general murmur of disapproval and a very audible boo from someone. It's very impressive for a company to get a reputation that bad.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

NowonSA posted:

I thought it was pretty telling that Oliver has covered all kinds of horrible corporation and situations, and explained why they're horrible in detail, and I think boos from the audience very rarely happen as far as I can recall (probably as part of what they're told before the show, I'm assuming), but as soon as Oliver put up that Ticketmaster image there was a general murmur of disapproval and a very audible boo from someone. It's very impressive for a company to get a reputation that bad.

For the longest time....Ticketmaster was the only player....and you basically had no choice but to deal with them. Now there's AXS....and they're just as bad. Forget the fees and whatnot. It's the bots that cause the biggest problems imo. Ticketmaster and AXS have no interest in stopping them....because they know that bots buying the tickets will be charged fees....and then they'll be able to double dip on those fees as they are resold through their secondary market. It's a complete joke for the average consumer. Glad that JO did a segment on it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This week's web exclusive clip is a bit on the longer side. He should do more movie 'reviews', really.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

After watching Shaq explain how to deal with high gas prices I can only assume his managers cleaned him out and just refilled his assets back to half with :10bux::10bux:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I mean, a lot of those huge cars are so inefficient he probably can go just as far on a quarter tank when full as he can from half to empty.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's episode is going to be longer than usual at 40 minutes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
an extra 10 minutes of local weathermen can't stop making fish analogies

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Maybe he has an update on his manila folder of Washington DC identifying material?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jesus that episode was such classic Last Week Tonight, a fairly good deep dive into the history of an issue ending with 'uuuuh vote I guess'. Like, you can't acknowledge how 'frustrating' it is to be told to 'just vote' and also say we need to be like Republicans while completely blowing past the fact that when Republicans vote they actually get what they want.

Like, he didn't at all touch poo poo like Pelosi saying 'anti-abortion democrats are welcome' and poo poo like Clyburn coming in from out of state to shove his nose in a Texas race to protect an anti-abortion dem from a progressive challenger, and I was wondering why until the end with the 'well maybe we just need to keep voting for the dems' and it was just 'oh, right, when democrats fail us it's them just being too shy to do the right thing and we clearly just need to keep supporting them'.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Jesus that episode was such classic Last Week Tonight, a fairly good deep dive into the history of an issue ending with 'uuuuh vote I guess'. Like, you can't acknowledge how 'frustrating' it is to be told to 'just vote' and also say we need to be like Republicans while completely blowing past the fact that when Republicans vote they actually get what they want.

Like, he didn't at all touch poo poo like Pelosi saying 'anti-abortion democrats are welcome' and poo poo like Clyburn coming in from out of state to shove his nose in a Texas race to protect an anti-abortion dem from a progressive challenger, and I was wondering why until the end with the 'well maybe we just need to keep voting for the dems' and it was just 'oh, right, when democrats fail us it's them just being too shy to do the right thing and we clearly just need to keep supporting them'.

Sorry but you’re wrong.

They can’t touch on everything. And spent plenty of time calling out dems for being lovely and not keeping promises.

His message was I know voting sucks, I know you hate to hear to keep voting, and that it hasn’t worked well so far, but you loving have to unless you want to be subjugated to a world where birth control is illegal.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Sorry but you’re wrong.

They can’t touch on everything. And spent plenty of time calling out dems for being lovely and not keeping promises.

His message was I know voting sucks, I know you hate to hear to keep voting, and that it hasn’t worked well so far, but you loving have to unless you want to be subjugated to a world where birth control is illegal.

oops birth control is illegal

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

oops birth control is illegal

We’re a week or so out of a draft leak, roe hasn’t even officially been struck down, and yet…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/05/08/abortion-tate-reeves-mississippi-contraception/

https://www.businessinsider.com/arizona-gop-senate-candidate-blake-masters-campaigning-against-birth-control-2022-5?amp

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/republican-states-plot-to-make-birth-control-a-crime-sljmb2s7f

https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/amp/rcna27922

https://www.salon.com/2022/05/09/arent-even-bothering-to-lie-about-it-anymore-they-are-now-coming-for-birth-control/

https://www.newsweek.com/blackburn-says-scotus-ruling-protect-birth-control-couples-unsound-1690259?amp=1

https://www.azmirror.com/blog/gop-senate-candidate-blake-masters-wants-to-allow-states-to-ban-contraception-use/

Remember when progressives were screaming about Roe being struck down during 2016? And again during the confirmation of Kavanaugh and Barrett? And everyone said they were being hysterical? Back then republicans were talking out of the other side of their mouths about how Roe was settled.

They are not with this. Believe these people when they tell you who they are, considering their default is to lie.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
"Please don't protest outside of our homes" say the people who made it legal to follow private citizens who work at clinics that provide abortion services to their private homes and publicly protest with no buffer zone.
:nallears:

We’re a week or so out of a draft leak, roe hasn’t even officially been struck down, and yet…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/05/08/abortion-tate-reeves-mississippi-contraception/

https://www.businessinsider.com/arizona-gop-senate-candidate-blake-masters-campaigning-against-birth-control-2022-5?amp

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/republican-states-plot-to-make-birth-control-a-crime-sljmb2s7f

https://www.salon.com/2022/05/09/arent-even-bothering-to-lie-about-it-anymore-they-are-now-coming-for-birth-control/

https://www.newsweek.com/blackburn-says-scotus-ruling-protect-birth-control-couples-unsound-1690259?amp=1

https://www.azmirror.com/blog/gop-senate-candidate-blake-masters-wants-to-allow-states-to-ban-contraception-use/

Remember when progressives were screaming about Roe being struck down during 2016? And again during the confirmation of Kavanaugh and Barrett? And everyone said they were being hysterical? Back then republicans were talking out of the other side of their mouths about how Roe was settled.

They are not with this. Believe these people when they tell you who they are, considering their default is to lie.

Hi, I live in a state where abortions are already functionally banned, despite being technically legal in a narrow set of circumstances (there is no legal way to access abortion services within the state). This isn't happening at the next election, or after the midterms: it is happening now. Almost half the states have "trigger laws" which go into effect the moment the decision is made official. McConnell has already said that a nationwide ban is on the table. There is only one way to do that and he is signaling his intentions right now: abolish the filibuster under GOP control and institute a nationwide ban on all abortions with a simple majority vote.

The Democrats still have control for ~7 more months. If they do no abolish the filibuster and pass their legislation by January 2023, there will not be another opportunity in our lifetimes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It wouldn't pass even if they abolished the filibuster, they've only got 48 votes

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Yeah, it's been real. Save up to gtfo within the next 2-4 years before the US government collapses. Hopefully you have a trade or you're probably sol.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

we should have voted for democrats to fight this, hosed up those republican bastards control things

https://thehill.com/news/senate/3484601-manchin-to-oppose-democratic-bill-guaranteeing-abortion-access/

ah poo poo

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

we should have voted for democrats to fight this, hosed up those republican bastards control things

https://thehill.com/news/senate/3484601-manchin-to-oppose-democratic-bill-guaranteeing-abortion-access/

ah poo poo

This is a dumb line of argument and you loving know it.

If we had one single additional dem senator, then it would have passed and Republican in all but name Manchin’s vote wouldn’t have mattered. If we had two, kyrsten sinema’s vote wouldn’t matter either.

If we had 10 they could have nuked the filibuster.

Having a 50-50 split where 2 members vote overwhelmingly with the other side is not being in control, it’s barely hanging out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Technically it's a 48-2-50 split except the independents have become dems in all but name, and 2 nominal dems have been heavily disloyal.

I'm a bit hopeful that maybe the midtems could make a better balance, although there's some projections of doom.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

As a non-American, I genuinely don't understand how Manchin and Sinema are allowed to keep their jobs. How can that not shatter any remaining faith you had in the democrats? Even if the dems had the office for the next 20 years who's to say there won't be 8 other Sinemas and Manchins running around preventing them from ever doing anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They're both basically moderate Republicans running in deep red areas