Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm sure this is no surprise to the college fans but man Jalen Carter really pops on that Georgia tape huh

I was watching for the guys coming out this year like Wyatt, Davis, Dean, etc and #88 was just consistently getting my attention.

they're all loving good though. Devonte Wyatt has some serious juice as a pass rusher

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TheGreyGhost posted:

Honestly Ridder wouldn’t be the worst fit in Seattle, nor would Willis. Basically the only guy I think would be a lovely fit there is like Corral for lack of elite downfield velocity and Strong for lack of mobility.

I still think corral is the best QB in this class right now, but I think at least one of the other guys is going to pass him by mid year if the light comes on at all for one of the high ceiling guys.

Okay thank you.

From your fingertips to goodells microphone #blessed

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Helllooooo nurse

https://twitter.com/betmgm/status/1489015293255032841?s=21

Also

https://twitter.com/ryan_pod/status/1490066001219796994?s=21

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 11, 2022

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

If we’re doing a “giveth, taketh away” thing, I…uh…I’m not sure Pete’s going to know what Malik needs to reach his potential. Wilson was a polished enough prospect that with 4 more inches of height he doesn’t get out of the top 10. Malik needs a complete mechanical overhaul and to get taught enough protections to not die. He’s instinctive and can physically do literally anything, but no one has ever forced him to drill technique consistently to get those peak abilities/throws out of him with regularity. If you got his 25th percentile throws looking like the 75th percentile ones, he could be special, but that’s an obscene amount of work for even good coaches with quarterbacks.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

If I was a coach worried about my job I’d want Malik. The thing about insanely athletic QBs like him is that they give you a high floor. All of these guys are gonna be raw passers at first but Malik gives you an extra element to make your offense at least respectable.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TheGreyGhost posted:

If we’re doing a “giveth, taketh away” thing, I…uh…I’m not sure Pete’s going to know what Malik needs to reach his potential. Wilson was a polished enough prospect that with 4 more inches of height he doesn’t get out of the top 10. Malik needs a complete mechanical overhaul and to get taught enough protections to not die. He’s instinctive and can physically do literally anything, but no one has ever forced him to drill technique consistently to get those peak abilities/throws out of him with regularity. If you got his 25th percentile throws looking like the 75th percentile ones, he could be special, but that’s an obscene amount of work for even good coaches with quarterbacks.

I am well aware that Wilson was basically a perfect prospect outside of height. I am well aware that Wilson’s successful growth into an elite qb was largely independent of Pete. I was just making that very case in the N/V thread or NFC W thread. Wilson was basically going to be a great qb no matter where he went. He has that inner drive and constant hunger for improvement:

Shucks, Pete’s influence was likely at best agnostic towards Wilson’s growth and at worst a hinderance. Imagine Russ with a good OL and receiving corp and a McVay calling plays.

From what you’ve shared and from what I’ve observed of the last decade of Pete Carroll and John S, then there is almost no chance that any qb from this draft will be even close to a great franchise QB, if drafted by Seattle.

But if you think “evidence” or “logic” is going to stop me from hooting and hollering that Seattle is winning the super bowl this coming 2022 season… buckaroo I’ve got a bridge to sell ya. It’s time to bet the kids college funds and we’re putting it all on Malik “double zeros” Willis.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AndrewP posted:

If I was a coach worried about my job I’d want Malik. The thing about insanely athletic QBs like him is that they give you a high floor. All of these guys are gonna be raw passers at first but Malik gives you an extra element to make your offense at least respectable.

Justin Fields is a spectacular athlete and he was the worst of the lot last year.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Justin Fields is a spectacular athlete and he was the worst of the lot last year.

Fields is an ohio state qb. Ohio state qbs are the only time where the superstition of "this school can't produce nfl guys at this position " is actually true

And he went to the bears. Which the hawks may look like next year

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

EmbryoSteve posted:

Fields is an ohio state qb. Ohio state qbs are the only time where the superstition of "this school can't produce nfl guys at this position " is actually true

And he went to the bears. Which the hawks may look like next year

Joe Burrow

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

You know darn well he doesn’t count

He was cleansed and reborn in waters of SWAMP

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

You know darn well he doesn’t count

He was cleansed and reborn in waters of SWAMP

If I count russ as NCST, I'm counting Burrow as Ohio State!

I'm just being difficult this morning

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Ben_Baby/status/1489277114020945924 case closed

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

it'd be funny to make tweets like this except it's not actually a real player. see if you can get people to start talking about this hidden gem who doesn't exist

i mainly thought of this because I cannot confirm or deny that this person exists

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

i mainly thought of this because I cannot confirm or deny that this person exists

As someone who does know he exists I'm just going to say you're a lucky man in this case.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I do wonder if a group of people could pull a gag off and get some nobody QB drafted high by hype training them on twitter until one of Kiper's interns picks up on it.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Doltos posted:

I do wonder if a group of people could pull a gag off and get some nobody QB drafted high by hype training them on twitter until one of Kiper's interns picks up on it.

Sort of a reverse-Lennay Kekua?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Doltos posted:

I'd argue we've already seen it happen. There's always a dumb coach and or GM who's willing to believe they can polish that nugget of raw hype into the next big thing. Who was that giant athlete QB that was projected as a developmental late pick who ended up going to the Jags in the first back in like 2005? Mark Jones? Matt Jones? Dude ran fast at the senior bowl and went in the top 20.

If you had two or three draft niks who had a few hundred thousand followers on twitter in on it and the twitter verse got behind I could absolutely see some junior scout too hungover to do his homework properly submit a plagarised scouting report and his GM be dumb enough to believe it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BlindSite posted:

I'd argue we've already seen it happen. There's always a dumb coach and or GM who's willing to believe they can polish that nugget of raw hype into the next big thing. Who was that giant athlete QB that was projected as a developmental late pick who ended up going to the Jags in the first back in like 2005? Mark Jones? Matt Jones? Dude ran fast at the senior bowl and went in the top 20.

If you had two or three draft niks who had a few hundred thousand followers on twitter in on it and the twitter verse got behind I could absolutely see some junior scout too hungover to do his homework properly submit a plagarised scouting report and his GM be dumb enough to believe it.

the Jags drafted Matt Jones at 21 in the 2005 NFL Draft but they drafted him at WR, despite him never playing WR full time at any level of football before being drafted.

then 3 years later he got busted with coke and never played in the NFL again

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Alaois posted:

the Jags drafted Matt Jones at 21 in the 2005 NFL Draft but they drafted him at WR, despite him never playing WR full time at any level of football before being drafted.

then 3 years later he got busted with coke and never played in the NFL again

That was him. Thank you.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
he was so fast in madden

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Whew his height weight and 40 were nice looking Matt Jones up again. 6'6" 242, 4.37 40.

He was a mess of an addict and didn't actually play the position they drafted him at, but I can kinda get why it happened. I'm imagining some wide receivers coach looking at him and saying 'I can make that work.'

First round was dumb either way, but someone was taking that guy.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Christian Hackenberg comes to mind as an obviously terrible player who was hyped to hell and back among draft twitter intelligentsia, went way too high and ended up sucking as much as everyone who actually knew about him expected.

Even if he did get picked in the second round, it was terrible and he probably would've remained undrafted or day three without all the totally unwarranted hype.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Was Hackenberg actually being hyped by draft twitter? IIRC he was getting undraftable grades from a lot of websites, including PFF, and the Jets pick was (rightly) pretty roundly mocked. I wasn't paying attention to draft twitter as closely at the time, so maybe I'm wrong.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Professor Funk posted:

Was Hackenberg actually being hyped by draft twitter? IIRC he was getting undraftable grades from a lot of websites, including PFF, and the Jets pick was (rightly) pretty roundly mocked. I wasn't paying attention to draft twitter as closely at the time, so maybe I'm wrong.

I think it was basically the Josh Allen breakdown of haters and supporters. But obviously very different results.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I hate how long we have to wait for the draft now :(

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTEF2bGM4x0

I had actually heard of most of these guys, but a pretty good video and I found some of what he said about certain guys very convincing

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i hope a good feller is there at the tight end position for pick 63

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Professor Funk posted:

He was a honeypot for greyhairs and like mcshay/kiper’s interns since he was an elite recruit who had some early awards. Tell them about a statuesque big arm guy who started forever and they salivate. Hack is just a dude who got completely broken by college and is one of like 2 guys I can think of who got mechanically worse there, whether because of his protection being poo poo and giving him bad habits or just trying to do too much. He was never a great touch passer to begin with but whoever drilled him into getting the ball out quickly really never taught him that “that doesn’t mean throw hard idiot”.

The best dumb draft take is still McShay caping for mitch loving leidner a few years ago as a potential first rounder. Whatever intern tried that is probably posting on caste football about missing when Walter football wasn’t PC or some poo poo.

Guys, I don’t know how to say this, but someone managed to create the wario version of McShay and let him talk about prospects. He’s actually not wrong on some of these (Howell), but it’s genuinely really funny because for every good comment he has one where he talks about guys “‘not playing the game like he loves it” which I suppose a former jets scout should be familiar with.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/.amp/news/new-york-jets-scout-lists-2022-nfl-draft-prospects-to-avoid-first-round-kenny-pickett-chris-olave

TheGreyGhost fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 15, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

TheGreyGhost posted:

Guys, I don’t know how to say this, but someone managed to create the wario version of McShay and let him talk about prospects. He’s actually not wrong on some of these (Howell), but it’s genuinely really funny because for every good comment he has one where he talks about guys “‘not playing the game like he loves it” which I suppose a former jets scout should be familiar with.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/.amp/news/new-york-jets-scout-lists-2022-nfl-draft-prospects-to-avoid-first-round-kenny-pickett-chris-olave

lmao that's like half the first round now consigned by this genius into the fifth round. I agree on a few of them but at the end of the day it's really easy to poo poo talk prospects especially if you don't have to suggest who would REPLACE them in the first round.

When it got to Evan Neal and Charles Cross I really started chuckling

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Play posted:

lmao that's like half the first round now consigned by this genius into the fifth round. I agree on a few of them but at the end of the day it's really easy to poo poo talk prospects especially if you don't have to suggest who would REPLACE them in the first round.

When it got to Evan Neal and Charles Cross I really started chuckling

Cross is legitimately a generationally good pass blocker the more I see him. He’s just a complete unknown run blocking but who cares when you can scheme around that in the modern nfl. Neal it’s just like….even when he was fat he was good enough to be a Saban guard. None of these linemen are Sewell but it’s real dumb to think any of them are inflated. It’s like 1 of 2 good positions this draft.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I dont remember a single person hyping up Hackenberg, not even Kiper. Legitimately no reason for the Jets to draft him.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Brugler had him as a top 50 guy and a 2nd round grade pre-draft. His work has steadily gone downhill the past few years though.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

TheGreyGhost posted:

Cross is legitimately a generationally good pass blocker the more I see him. He’s just a complete unknown run blocking but who cares when you can scheme around that in the modern nfl. Neal it’s just like….even when he was fat he was good enough to be a Saban guard. None of these linemen are Sewell but it’s real dumb to think any of them are inflated. It’s like 1 of 2 good positions this draft.

Speaking of Cross:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItpEVwTpAZs

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

Brugler had him as a top 50 guy and a 2nd round grade pre-draft. His work has steadily gone downhill the past few years though.

Yeah I think Brugler is a big dummy and is trying to be the next Kiper. Went from looking at tape to just doing superlative ratings and talking head stuff for the combine. Weird too since I think the hyper analysis draft pundits are starting to get more traction and views from fanbases, at least on youtube and twitter. I'm surprised the NFL Network hasn't trotted out one of them to talk about scheme match ups to be the next genius draft guy. I suspect it's because they want to become the new ESPN.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Doltos posted:

I dont remember a single person hyping up Hackenberg, not even Kiper. Legitimately no reason for the Jets to draft him.

I remember some people liked his freshman year in BoB's system and thought that the next two years of his career weren't what he was capable of in the right fit but I think a lot of that is people not seeing the forrest for the trees.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheGreyGhost posted:

I also agree with this. Cross's pass blocking is superb. Looks like Joe Thomas. Great bend, great agility, follows guys like a magnet. Also love how much leverage he gets by giving up ground. Classic old school pass blocking. Great hand placement in pass blocking. It's so smart and accomplished for a college player. He knows how to leverage spin moves and bull rushes with his hands just by pushing on a guys hip or guiding him out of the pocket. Also knows how to get away with holds which is a legitimate talent for OTs. Especially when you have super long arms and do pad engagement when setting the pocket. He also gets into space very well. Surprisingly quick, good acceleration to get to the second level or out to the flats. That'll probably make him go higher than people expect to the point where if the Jags can't trade out they might take a look at him.

He also was used enough in run blocking to get an okay picture. Not amazing, does arm engagement and drives his feet which is just standard. Gets kind of high up too which usually happens when you're tall. Just too hard to bend below for the drive no matter how many blocking sleds they put you in front of. Not great but nobody cares. Eagles/Colts/Ravens/Browns/Bills all built their run game through mobile QBs and only the Titans/Niners/Pats/Washington still do traditional blocking schemes and are successful with it. Running to the weakside doesn't necessarily care about power blocking either, and there's a bunch of different plays that don't mind someone who just stands up their assignment.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Everyone keeps mocking Penning to Baltimore because of his great run blocking or whatever, but what they truly need is someone who can actually pass block. I would be loving thrilled if somehow they got Cross.

The Ravens will be just fine running, they don't need ROAD GRADERS to do it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Sure I’d enjoy that gentleman for Seattle.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Sweet sweet comp picks

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1503848538719105029

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Alright Rams just need a late round draft as in 2018 where they hauled in like 8 good to great players in the 4th round and below, and everything will be fine. Surely they can easily repeat such a maneuver!

Rams actually hit the maximum here, you can't get more than 5 comp picks in one draft. One 3rd, one 4th and three 6ths for them.

Jokes aside those picks will actually be pretty crucial if the Rams want to continue winning a lot of games every year. They have to restock with some cheap rookies that will actually play, and they had so few picks before they got these comp ones.

Play fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 15, 2022