Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

are these new conscripts or the blown to poo poo ones?

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1502317483776217099

also this shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DutchDupe posted:

I'm sure they would send unlimited weapons, supplies, and money. Questioning whether the EU will go to war, which inevitably drags in the USA and UK, and meaning war between several nuclear powers, I don't think is delusional though. If they haven't stated they'd defend Finland, which it doesn't appear to be, then I'm not going to claim to know "of course" it will happen.

If Russia actually attacks Finnland, I think all the talk about not going to war for fear of escalating is pretty much out of the window, because where will Russia stop? Would they take over Sweden as well?

Whether the US would get involved is another question, probably not.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

If Russia actually attacks Finnland, I think all the talk about not going to war for fear of escalating is pretty much out of the window, because where will Russia stop? Would they take over Sweden as well?

Whether the US would get involved is another question, probably not.

yeah. like i am unsure if they do attack finland at this point, but after the last few weeks i wouldnt be shocked by anything russia does.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I'm not to sure this guy is the most up to date on his news.

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1502314821286518786

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Dog owners are capable of feeling affection towards the animal. Putin probably has to fight the impulse to spit in Batka's face and shove him to the ground every time he sees him.

I apologise for comparing doggo to Batka. :woof:

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. like i am unsure if they do attack finland at this point, but after the last few weeks i wouldnt be shocked by anything russia does.

St Petersburg has a museum with T-34s, those will go to Finland for a reunion.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

e: nm, misread miles and km

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

I took a screenshot of this from Google Maps:

I would speculate baselessly that they will continue to advance until they enter the outskirts of the urban area of Kyiv, where you would presume they stop and wait for either the completion of the encirclement or the eastern forces to make a similar advancement.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Seriously, all this talk of Russia attacking Finland is absurd. It's clancychat every bit as any talk about article 5.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Concerned Citizen posted:

I took a screenshot of this from Google Maps:

I would speculate baselessly that they will continue to advance until they enter the outskirts of the urban area of Kyiv, where you would presume they stop and wait for either the completion of the encirclement or the eastern forces to make a similar advancement.

i sorta suspect this stuff is somewhat out of date, but i can believe that they are either stalled out or being held back around kyiv but slowly inching foward.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1502313605492092934
https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1502316808396849159
https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1502319684321959942

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

PederP posted:

Seriously, all this talk of Russia attacking Finland is absurd. It's clancychat every bit as any talk about article 5.

All the clancychat/new theater stuff makes me think of people getting bored of a new video game and clamoring for DLC two weeks after release.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i sorta suspect this stuff is somewhat out of date, but i can believe that they are either stalled out or being held back around kyiv but slowly inching foward.

It's also meaningless data as moving 10 miles over a highway to reach city limits is not the same as moving even ONE mile inside city limits in urban warfare.

It will get exponentially harder with each mile left.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

200 sorties doesn't sound great.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

two weeks after the start of an invasion by a nation which, on paper, has the ability to achieve air superiority? 200 sorties daily is pretty good

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Honestly I expected a lot fewer

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

two weeks after the start of an invasion by a nation which, on paper, has the ability to achieve air superiority? 200 sorties daily is pretty good

That's the Russians.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

How much meth is required to stay awake for that many sorties?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Right I meant not great for Ukraine.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rad Russian posted:

It's also meaningless data as moving 10 miles over a highway to reach city limits is not the same as moving even ONE mile inside city limits in urban warfare.

plus the ukrainians keep either loving up their rear supplies or almost encircling various invasions prongs

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

What I am gathering is that nobody knows what the gently caress the Russian troops are doing near Kiev, probably including the troops themselves.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Pretty good for whom? Ukraine. During the invasion of Iraq, coalition forces were running over 2,000 air sorties per day.

For a country with an Air Force as large as Russia, who on paper should have been able to completely overwhelm Ukraine in the air, 200 sorties a day is terrible.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

If the Russians are running 200 sorties and bombing western airfields it sounds to me like Ukranian air defence is in really bad shape and the Russians are gradually getting air superiority.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TheRat posted:

That's the Russians.

whoops, i misread that as 200 daily by ukraine

200 sorties daily from the russians is probably constrained by maintenance as much as ukrainian AA. or bad weather/lack of sensors

Kraftwerk posted:

If the Russians are running 200 sorties and bombing western airfields it sounds to me like Ukranian air defence is in really bad shape and the Russians are gradually getting air superiority.

they should have had air superiority on day 1 if they're still posturing as a fully competent and well equipped military

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 11, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

So some more about Belarus - Stratcom Ukraine posted this
https://twitter.com/StratcomCentre/status/1502317147959218180?t=J_nCII9qBluoGNtmtwxo4A&s=19
Sounds more and more like Intel the Ukrainians received somewhere

And a lot of machinery is getting moved around the Belarusian border
https://twitter.com/MotolkoHelp/status/1502313736182407183?t=H9Jz3Jssg85F4Tkw2IjATQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/MotolkoHelp/status/1502304284892925955?t=PUZagcW56o6izN0I3XQkxQ&s=19
I guess we'll find out at 21:00 Ukraine time if the reports of mutiny were true

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kraftwerk posted:

Most of their sorties are likely high altitude craft dropping guided munitions or cruise missiles. Its unlikely that Ukraine can reach them, and some of them are likely flying well outside of the range of ground air defense systems.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah superiority but not dominance yet it sounds like.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Kraftwerk posted:

No. Really. This is not the case.

2,000 sorties per day is what the United States and Great Britain flew over Iraq in 2003 at the start of the Second Gulf War.

Edit

And pay attention to the verbiage. It’s not 200 sorties a day over Ukraine. It’s 200 sorties a day near Ukraine.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Not according to the US DoD
https://twitter.com/beverstine/status/1502317896973930514?t=KijU8_TwqF15ZYCB50zDbA&s=19
https://twitter.com/beverstine/status/1502319684368142338?t=Re9KyTtMQ4T2RGeH6_9xrA&s=19
(Poster is the pentagon editor at Aviation week. Plane guy)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/Matt_Schrader_/status/1502235865980063751

on the other hand, North Korea champs at the bit pretty darned frequently, and Russia isn't likely to be appreciative of Beijing exacting a high price for its support either

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Gradually gaining air superiority on 3rd week is not very impressive

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

No, it's not impressive at all, but it would still be very bad for Ukraine.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

also the US/west is apperently going to give or is already giving the Ukrainians more sophisticated/longer range AA stuff.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
BTW, congratulations to Russia on completing their 15 day operaional plan to occupy Ukraine :toot:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also the US/west is apperently going to give or is already giving the Ukrainians more sophisticated/longer range AA stuff.

Source? I have a hard time believing they'd hand over Patriots.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Rad Russian posted:

I don't think the Russian army has the training or manpower to take the cities through urban combat. They are likely going to besiege Kyiv and the other cities and bomb them until the defenders are starved out like they're doing in Mariupol.

The only question is how long it will take vs how much pain Putin is willing for Russia to absorb through sanctions. Maybe he just doesn't give a poo poo and will go on grinding Ukraine down till the bitter end.

Recruiting Syrians and Wagner nazis speaks to manpower problems but we don't really know what the actual situation is on the ground.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Fwiw re: Belarus false flag talk

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1502320420371972102

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Beefeater1980 posted:

Occam’s razor suggests it was the Ukrainians, perhaps because troops in an active firefight retreated there or something, and who are now throwing out chaff as a way to prevent broadening the war. This seems to me vastly more likely than Russia secretly false flag bombing an ally, although we’re in madworld now so who knows.

It’s ok, we can support Ukraine and still be tethered to reality.

Do you have any idea of the distances involved here? One of the reasons the Russians are having such trouble is because you basically have to move along roads, but somehow you think it's more likely that a Ukrainian ground force retreated through Russian lines across marshy terrain and wandered into a Belarussian village and somehow had enough ordnance to simulate bombs large enough to be dropped by aircraft?

Apologies if you were posting ironically, btw. Irony in text is easy to miss.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

TheRat posted:

Source? I have a hard time believing they'd hand over Patriots.

Some UK AA thing was announced yesterday

Edit: here

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

We don’t know what kind of sorties those are, and where. If someone flies some torturers into an occupied town, is that a sortie? I don’t think we have the information to assess what Russia is getting for itself with those sorties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yeah if Belarus is openly saying this, good luck getting their military involved.