Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

My dad likes the Redshirts series, which is hilarious bc Scalzi is pretty opposite his politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Empty Sandwich posted:

I just started reading the Fahfrd and the Grey Mouser books, but I don't think they belong in this thread

They are simultaneously awesome and awful.

You'll pause for a moment with "wtf am I reading", but then you'll continue.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Elric of melnibone is great, hosed up skinny white guy

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Atopian posted:

They are simultaneously awesome and awful.

You'll pause for a moment with "wtf am I reading", but then you'll continue.

i quit the series last year because of the teen loving

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DicktheCat posted:

My dad likes the Redshirts series, which is hilarious bc Scalzi is pretty opposite his politics.

Just one of them, isnt there?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

.random posted:

I read a book or two of this as a young lad, I think. It includes BDSM-fueled magic or something? I am glad I only half remember any of this.

Like a quarter of the first book is the protagonist being tortured by a magic dominatrix. The magic dominatrices actually become his personal ginyu force for most of the series.

I read a bunch of those because I was a dumb 12 year old who never stopped reading a fantasy series once I had started it, but then I got to the one where he defeats communism by sculpting Michelangelo's David and His Big Titty GF and then destroying it, and it became to stupid for even me to continue. I described it to my wife years later and she said it was basically the plot of The Fountainhead :lol:

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
You can get all you need to know about Goodkind from one hilarious Q and A he did.

http://cgi1.usatoday.com/mchat/20030805003/tscript.htm

Weymouth, MA: In your opinion who is the most must-read, cutting edge writer publishing today?

Terry Goodkind: Ayn Rand.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
every time i see that pic of Terry Goodkind (you know the one) i lmao

what a turbo dork

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I will never not believe his cause of death was COVID, probably after yelling in a Walgreens that he won't wear a mask as it is no man's responsibility to live his life for anyone else and anything else is Communism.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

precision posted:

what a turbo dork

Looks pretty studly to me tbqh

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

RaspberrySea posted:

You can get all you need to know about Goodkind from one hilarious Q and A he did.

http://cgi1.usatoday.com/mchat/20030805003/tscript.htm

This dude is a legend

Orem Utah: What do you think distinguishes your books from all of the other fantasy books out there, and why should readers choose to read your series?
Terry Goodkind: There are several things. First of all, I don't write fantasy.

Haddonfield, NJ: Second Question - I've noticed similarities between your Sword of Truth series and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series...(Black Sisterhood vs. Black Ajah; The Order vs. The Seanchan; Richard vs. Rand both discovering their powers, both have Nameless evil Gods...etc.) I've often voiced my suspicion that these two series might be occurring on the same world...how crazy am I?

Terry Goodkind: If you notice a similarity, then you probably aren't old enough to read my books.

Kansas City, KS: What made you choose to leave out other common races(dwarves, elves, etc) from your books?

Terry Goodkind: Please refer to the previous answer, in which I explain that I'm not writing fantasy ... My purpose is not weirdo cultural diversity.

Phoenix, Arizona: What authors do you read yourself?

Terry Goodkind: I think the most important author to read is Ayn Rand. Most of my reading is research for the things I'm writing about, but if I have any time to read, one of the people I like is Dean Koontz. I like his sense of life. He's one of the few writers around today, other than me, who seems interested in writing about heroic individuals who are worthy of being heroes.

There's actually very little to read today because more and more books center around characters who are either unremarkable, pathetic or reprehensible. I don't like authors who choose to tell stories about these kinds of people. I like stories about individuals who can show the nobility of mankind.

Grand Haven, Michigan: How much influence does politics and current affairs have on the story you're writing at the time?

Terry Goodkind: Philosophy is what has an influence on me. Current affairs and politics are driven by the same philosophy, therefore my stories always seem to be relevant to what's happening at the moment.

If you could take my stories back to any time in history and read them at that time, they would also seem relevant to what was happening now. The reason is because, as I said, the stories are about the way people think and about their philosophy. People's good or bad outlook on life remains constant.

A thief in the 18th century is the same as a thief in the 20th century is the same as a thief 1,000 years ago. A murder is a murder, regardless of the age in which it is committed.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

The Moon Monster posted:

Looks pretty studly to me tbqh

Ah yes, the book about how a free man under his own power can topple communism with the power of art.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

poisonpill posted:

This dude is a legend

Orem Utah: What do you think distinguishes your books from all of the other fantasy books out there, and why should readers choose to read your series?
Terry Goodkind: There are several things. First of all, I don't write fantasy.

Haddonfield, NJ: Second Question - I've noticed similarities between your Sword of Truth series and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series...(Black Sisterhood vs. Black Ajah; The Order vs. The Seanchan; Richard vs. Rand both discovering their powers, both have Nameless evil Gods...etc.) I've often voiced my suspicion that these two series might be occurring on the same world...how crazy am I?

Terry Goodkind: If you notice a similarity, then you probably aren't old enough to read my books.

Kansas City, KS: What made you choose to leave out other common races(dwarves, elves, etc) from your books?

Terry Goodkind: Please refer to the previous answer, in which I explain that I'm not writing fantasy ... My purpose is not weirdo cultural diversity.

Phoenix, Arizona: What authors do you read yourself?

Terry Goodkind: I think the most important author to read is Ayn Rand. Most of my reading is research for the things I'm writing about, but if I have any time to read, one of the people I like is Dean Koontz. I like his sense of life. He's one of the few writers around today, other than me, who seems interested in writing about heroic individuals who are worthy of being heroes.

There's actually very little to read today because more and more books center around characters who are either unremarkable, pathetic or reprehensible. I don't like authors who choose to tell stories about these kinds of people. I like stories about individuals who can show the nobility of mankind.

Grand Haven, Michigan: How much influence does politics and current affairs have on the story you're writing at the time?

Terry Goodkind: Philosophy is what has an influence on me. Current affairs and politics are driven by the same philosophy, therefore my stories always seem to be relevant to what's happening at the moment.

If you could take my stories back to any time in history and read them at that time, they would also seem relevant to what was happening now. The reason is because, as I said, the stories are about the way people think and about their philosophy. People's good or bad outlook on life remains constant.

A thief in the 18th century is the same as a thief in the 20th century is the same as a thief 1,000 years ago. A murder is a murder, regardless of the age in which it is committed.

lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Terry Goodkind seems almost as badass as Steven Seagal

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Terry Goodkind seems almost as badass as Steven Seagal

"hey bozo. why don't you write a book about kicking someone's face off. cause i can do that. i can kick your face off. now do the dishes, terry. respect the chore wheel."

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
https://twitter.com/spacetwinks/status/967567775265886209

They did have the same ponytail.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Based on this thread from two years ago, I decided to re-read the first Dragonlance book, Dragons of Autumn or whatever, and while I love the setting and the overall plot, the writing is just atrocious. Everything is a cliche and the characters are completely one dimensional. Ten pages in and I set it down thinking "I can't do this." I did re-read the whole thing though and it was essentially self flagellation.

And I have something like 20 DL books stashed in the garage, and I loved that stuff when I was younger, like in my 20's. Now I feel almost ashamed.

The one good takeaway is that Otik's spiced potatoes inspired me to start experimenting in the kitchen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
weis and hickman did eventually write decent books at least. Death's Gate is a really cool series with a lot of ~subversion~ and Rose of the Prophet had both gay and female protagonists in a middle eastern fantasy setting. it's probably really awful but 13 year old me liked it anyway

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Internetjack posted:

Based on this thread from two years ago, I decided to re-read the first Dragonlance book, Dragons of Autumn or whatever, and while I love the setting and the overall plot, the writing is just atrocious. Everything is a cliche and the characters are completely one dimensional. Ten pages in and I set it down thinking "I can't do this." I did re-read the whole thing though and it was essentially self flagellation.

And I have something like 20 DL books stashed in the garage, and I loved that stuff when I was younger, like in my 20's. Now I feel almost ashamed.

The one good takeaway is that Otik's spiced potatoes inspired me to start experimenting in the kitchen.

precision posted:

weis and hickman did eventually write decent books at least. Death's Gate is a really cool series with a lot of ~subversion~ and Rose of the Prophet had both gay and female protagonists in a middle eastern fantasy setting. it's probably really awful but 13 year old me liked it anyway

yeah i also liked them when i was young. kids are idiots and are allowed to like poo poo

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
mild synergy with the meme thread:

Lobok posted:

"Hi, Poochie! You look like you've got something to say! Do you?"

"I certainly do! For many years, you have been asking: Who is Poochie? This is Poochie speaking. I am the dog who loves his life. I am the dog who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the dog who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing—you who dread knowledge—I am the dog who will now tell you.”

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm a little ways into whichever book I picked up first. Leiber's prose is crisp and economical and evocative, there's a nice humorous undertone to everything, the adventures are so far quite adventurous.

I can already sense disaster looming. you all were of course correct. sigh.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

What are some hosed up fantasy* novels? I want to read some hosed up fantasy* novels.

*or science fiction

Yoon Ha-Lee's Machinery of Empire trilogy is pretty weird and also really good.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This is semi-on-topic, but I liked the Kane stories by Karl Edward Wagner. For those unfamiliar, Kane is a Conan-like character based on the biblical character Cain in a gritty fantasy setting.

I had a paperback copy of one novel, I think maybe it was Bloodstone, and it wasn't bad because of the story, it was bad because the editing was absolute poo poo. About halfway through the book a major character's name changes for no reason, and as I recall a paragraph or so is clearly missing. It's like a record scratch and suddenly "Jane" is now "Mary" and it takes a minute to figure out the character hasn't changed, the name is just arbitrarily different.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

precision posted:

I really liked the death gate series. I wonder how I would feel about them now 25 years later. I don’t think I’ll check.

On the other hand, I am now finishing up Lloyd Alexander’s Prydain books and they are still excellent stories. I’m going to give them to my nephew who is just about the right age to start them. He is almost eight which is about the age when I read them the first time many years ago.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mad Hamish posted:

Yoon Ha-Lee's Machinery of Empire trilogy is pretty weird and also really good.

Those are more sci fi but he does have a fantasy novel, Phoenix Extravagant, which is fantasy Korea after being conquered by fantasy Japan and involves a magic robot dragon.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

precision posted:

"hey bozo. why don't you write a book about kicking someone's face off. cause i can do that. i can kick your face off. now do the dishes, terry. respect the chore wheel."
The protagonist kicks the jaw off of a small child in the very first book.

E: this is also presented as the good and morally correct action.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 11, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

precision posted:

You're gonna have to narrow it down because that could be any of them. Dude looked like the plastic skull gamergate loser except with a ponytail.

.random
May 7, 2007

quote:

Boston, MA: I realize this is a difficult question to answer in this format, but can you describe in general terms how you marketed and/or lobbied for "Wizard's First Rule"?

Terry Goodkind: I got the best agent in the country, and he did those things.

Oh, well that is cool, really not making it about himself :shobon:

quote:

Comment from Terry Goodkind: The reason the best agent in the country wanted to represent me was because he knew that this book would sell itself. In fact, he was correct. Three publishers wanted it, and so my agent held an auction. Ten weeks after I wrote the end of "Wizard's First Rule," it sold to Tor books for a record price that still stands to this day.

Oh.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

.random posted:

Oh, well that is cool, really not making it about himself :shobon:

Oh.

I was working in a bookstore when it came out and it was huge- all the major publications were jerking him off because it was being sold as the first work of fantasy in decades that wasn't beholden to Tolkien. Critics almost universally praised the book while also saying things like, "the 25-page torture scene in the middle was a bit much" so that should tell you how hard up fantasy publishing was in the 90s.... then he got really weird.

NC Wyeth Death Cult fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 12, 2022

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wow that guy sounds like a real jerk!

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Goodkind hated a cover to one of his last books so much he held a contest on his Facebook that the 10 best burns of it or something would win a signed copy of his book. When the artist responded saying he did the art he was told to, Goodkind told him to stop stirring the pot.

Also the cover was completely fine.

https://i.imgur.com/LL97A18.jpg

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RaspberrySea posted:

Goodkind hated a cover to one of his last books so much he held a contest on his Facebook that the 10 best burns of it or something would win a signed copy of his book. When the artist responded saying he did the art he was told to, Goodkind told him to stop stirring the pot.

Also the cover was completely fine.

https://i.imgur.com/LL97A18.jpg

Yeah, as far as fantasy covers go there's nothing particularly heinous about that one. Did the artist get some of the details on Goodkind's waifu wrong or something?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I was expecting so much worse. That's competently done, what a loving tool

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The art on the cover is better than the writing in the book

.random
May 7, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, as far as fantasy covers go there's nothing particularly heinous about that one. Did the artist get some of the details on Goodkind's waifu wrong or something?

There is nothing heroic about her! Don’t you see? He wants to celebrate truly heroic people doing heroic things. True heroes are born, not made, and you can tell she was made NOT born.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

The Moon Monster posted:

Apparently it's the boots, which are the real boots owned by the model the cover artist worked from. But mostly Goodkind talking out his rear end, comparing a pretty understated cover to Frank Frazetta.

Terry Goodkind posted:

I write stories centered around strong female characters. I objected to the sexist cover my publisher commissioned for this book. Completely disregarding the story, they apparently told the artist to paint a sexist fantasy cover like those that appeared on dime paperback fantasy magazines, in the ‘70s. The artist is obviously talented in that he did an admirable job of recreating that hackneyed look.

Specifically, Goodkind said he took issue with protagonist Nicci’s boots (which were actually the model’s), adding: “Is it too much to ask that my female characters not be portrayed as hiking for miles in thigh-high, heeled boots?”
Weird complaint for someone who has an order of Dominatrix-Witches in his books that literally wear skin-tight leather uniforms. There was a crappy TV-show based on his books, and this is exactly how he describes them:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Terry Goodkind looked exactly like you expected Terry Goodkind to look from the body of his work.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

sebmojo posted:

Elric of melnibone is great, hosed up skinny white guy

Erekose is better. He commits not one, but two genocides in his very first book. That’s hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Terry worstkind
Chicken was not a chicken
gently caress u hack