Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Dr. Honked posted:

aw poo poo i staretd playing disco elysium ages ago but stopped, i need to bump that up the backlog. what good Video Jame that is

if you haven't read dinosaur comics, it's been going on since 2003 and i think maybe there's just as many words at this point

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Gamers sins I currently have: Not playing Disco Elysium and Hades

Farecoal

There he go

Farecoal posted:

Also started playing War Thunder again. Few things in video games give me greater joy than sneaking up on a tank as an L3/33

Italian Victory theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsWeCAHAaVs
:discourse:

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Putty posted:

Gamers sins I currently have: Not playing Disco Elysium and Hades

loving s a m e

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
highly recommended game if you have a Meat Quest or other vr hat: Ultrawings 2

Pro Target

Finger Prince

I downloaded two free games yesterday, ghosts of tsushima: legends, and ark: survival evolved.
Both suck and I deleted them both today.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i decided to delete a bunch of installed games i didn't care for recently, it was a freeing sensation. as i've gotten older and realized i don't have infinite time i have gotten better at abandoning games or books or whatever i am not enjoying.

also, the conversation in this thread about souls games, especially the comparisons to monster hunter, unlocked elden ring for me. i've put 11 hours in over the past week or so and it is very fun. i'm a samurai sneaking around in bushes sometimes then sometimes killing giant crabs on goatback.

is torrent a goat? i like torrent.

having not played any previous from software games, and not having cared before release means that everything is basically new and fresh and exciting. my understanding is it's the most accessible game from them so far but it's a loving blast. after i bet it i do think i'll go back and try the other games.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

kalel

Heather Papps posted:

i decided to delete a bunch of installed games i didn't care for recently, it was a freeing sensation. as i've gotten older and realized i don't have infinite time i have gotten better at abandoning games or books or whatever i am not enjoying.

also, the conversation in this thread about souls games, especially the comparisons to monster hunter, unlocked elden ring for me. i've put 11 hours in over the past week or so and it is very fun. i'm a samurai sneaking around in bushes sometimes then sometimes killing giant crabs on goatback.

is torrent a goat? i like torrent.

having not played any previous from software games, and not having cared before release means that everything is basically new and fresh and exciting. my understanding is it's the most accessible game from them so far but it's a loving blast. after i bet it i do think i'll go back and try the other games.

Elden ring freaking rules!!!

it's definitely their most accessible game in the "souls" lineage. the games have tended to get more accessible and more balanced over time, which is cool because Elden ring acting as a dark souls primer will hopefully introduce the original games to a whole new swath of people who maybe were put off by their reputation

torrent is probably a goat but he makes me think of yakul the elk from princess Mononoke

kalel fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 10, 2022

Bobby Deluxe

the most important thing about souls games to know is to play cautiously if it is a souls game, play agressively if it is bloodborne, and play ranged caster if you just have dark souls 2 left

Heather Papps

hello friend

having more experience with monster hunter i just frame each excursion from a point of grace like setting off on a hunt. the flasks refilling for defeating groups of enemies is a clever feature to encourage combat.

not knowing basic stuff about the series has been interesting though. i played for like 8 hours before bothering to stop and look up "how the gently caress do i craft" and discovering that i gotta find a merchant i missed very close to the beginning.

it's really good, everyone was right and i am bummed that i was so blind to it. thank you video game thread for opening my eyes.

kalel

Heather Papps posted:

not knowing basic stuff about the series has been interesting though. i played for like 8 hours before bothering to stop and look up "how the gently caress do i craft" and discovering that i gotta find a merchant i missed very close to the beginning.

I went in blind and missed that merchant completely until a few days ago. the game gave me a big arrow saying "go here!" and I said "nope!" and immediately ran off in the opposite direction to get my underleveled butt roasted by dragons explore. I'm 20 hours in and I just now got a torch and the crafting tools from the dude

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Finger Prince posted:

I downloaded two free games yesterday, ghosts of tsushima: legends, and ark: survival evolved.
Both suck and I deleted them both today.

I don't think there are even ghosts in that game.

Bobby Deluxe

the real ghosts of tsushima are the friends we made along the way

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
huge freekin' bundle on itch.io right now

poverty goat

i bought both bundles but I have no clue what I even own and have never played any of it because their website is poo poo and there's no way to see bundle games in their app afaik

e: really kind of a dick move to give out thousands of games at once in this format

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 10, 2022

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

poverty goat posted:

i bought both bundles but I have no clue what I even own and have never played any of it because their website is poo poo and there's no way to see bundle games in their app afaik

e: really kind of a dick move to give out thousands of games at once in this format

when i got the BLM bundle it utterly spammed my library but this time the titles don't populate your library until you click em or something?? still bollox but seems a bit more sensible

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
the only game i recognize on there is zeroranger and it rules so eh its worth it even if only from a gaming standpoint

Enfys

The ocean is calling and I must go

Skatebird is fun if you want to be a birb and skateboard around

Cloud Gardens is a really chill and pretty game where you make apocalyptic wrecks into cool overgrown gardens

Heather Papps

hello friend

i am having fun learning by loving up in elden ring. at the fires theres an option to use these seeds to "improve the charge of your flask" and i, thinking these games were supposed to be very punishing, assumed it meant that for a single lifespan you'd have an additional charge. same with their effeciency.

nope, it upgrades them permanently and i went from having the starting amount of flasks to six immediately holy poo poo this game is so much easier now

Mummy Napkin
does anyone know if you have to rest at a fire to use summons again in elden ring or if it's on some sort of cooldown?

Mummy Napkin
sorry, i mean like the spirit ashes specifically

Heather Papps

hello friend

Mummy Napkin posted:

sorry, i mean like the spirit ashes specifically

it... so far to me it seems like you need to be near a boss, and SOMETIMES field bosses count. i'm playing almost strictly melee though, and it does take fp to summon em.

also i guess i beat the first main "boss." there was a cutscene beforehand and i killed him with a big jump attack as he also killed me so i got to watch us both dissolve into ash together, which was fun but also extremely frustrating.

Scaly Haylie

i wanna play elden ring at some point but dark souls 3 still whips my rear end

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Heather Papps posted:

it... so far to me it seems like you need to be near a boss, and SOMETIMES field bosses count. i'm playing almost strictly melee though, and it does take fp to summon em.

also i guess i beat the first main "boss." there was a cutscene beforehand and i killed him with a big jump attack as he also killed me so i got to watch us both dissolve into ash together, which was fun but also extremely frustrating.

There are no bosses, only stepping stones on the way to the next turtle standing next to a message that reads "dog"

Pro Target

Heather Papps posted:

Theres two separate restrictions; you can only summon spirits near the barely visible obelisk monuments (people often leave messages on top of them) and also you can only summon once per every time you rest

Pro Target

Boss arenas usually have the monuments but they also put them in areas with large, difficult group fights against non-boss enemies

Heather Papps

hello friend

Pro Target posted:

Theres two separate restrictions; you can only summon spirits near the barely visible obelisk monuments (people often leave messages on top of them) and also you can only summon once per every time you rest

i was wondering what those doodads were! thank you!

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I haven't figured out what signifies an area where your summons health bars flash and then they go away. In that first gateway area after the intro you can summon them at the camp, the archway area makes them flash and go away if you stand under it but after you've passed under it they'll stay with you for that whole area. It's weird.

kalel

I Was The Fury posted:

There are no bosses, only stepping stones on the way to the next turtle standing next to a message that reads "dog"

:hmmyes: :shittydog:

Pro Target

Jolo posted:

I haven't figured out what signifies an area where your summons health bars flash and then they go away. In that first gateway area after the intro you can summon them at the camp, the archway area makes them flash and go away if you stand under it but after you've passed under it they'll stay with you for that whole area. It's weird.

Its once youre out of an area with a monument, or where the monument is no longer active (like in defeated boss rooms)

kalel

Heather Papps posted:

i was wondering what those doodads were! thank you!

in the info tab of your inventory, look for a blurb about "summoning pools"

also that tab in general is very useful especially for newbs

Pro Target

I've beaten this game twice now and I instantly went back for round 3... I love it

Pro Target

kalel posted:

These are different, theyre the cross-shaped statues and theyre used as central points for player summons. In previous games, which were fairly linear, players could just put down summon signs and they usually clustered around boss doors, but because this game has so many mini-dungeons and other areas where you might want to summon players off the main route they created summon pools, which are a way for players to place their summon sign at multiple different dungeons remotely. Basically, in each logical 'area' (like, limgrave, stormveil, liurnia, etc) if you use the Small Golden Effigy it broadcasts your summon sign to every summon pool in that area that you've unlocked

kalel

did a freaking birb just throw an exploding barrel at me???

this game rules lol

Heather Papps

hello friend

kalel posted:

hmm yes. there is also some sort of adventure guide i am ignoring as well. i, as a huge loving nerd dork, have put a lot of thought into what i like in games and the 2 main things i like are engaging gameplay, (like the moment to moment experience should be fun. doing nothing in mario is fun but doing nothing but reading is better suited to a book i think) and learning the mechanics. i grew up swapping nes cartridges with friends at school and got used to not having a manual but figuring things out anyways. it was easier when controllers only had 4 buttons tho'.

anyways elden ring is perfect for these two specific things!

Pro Target posted:

I've beaten this game twice now and I instantly went back for round 3... I love it

kalel posted:

did a freaking birb just throw an exploding barrel at me???

this game rules lol

it loving rules. an unexpected consequence is that breath of the wild being knocked down a few pegs in my mind. my brother made a point about how there's extremely little enemy variation in botw and it took me like 5 minutes in elden ring to be reminded of said point.

Pro Target

Its hard for me to compare this game and BOTW. Even though ER obviously takes a lot of inspiration from how BOTW's world was designed and creates an open world with a lot of depth and character, and distinction between areas, I think it still works fundamentally like a souls game, with an emphasis on encounter design, bosses and combat. For me BOTW combat is one of the less important aspects of the game, its mostly about exploration and discovery, and travelling. Soemtimes when I hear people talk about BOTW I feel like I experienced that game in a fundamentally different way than them, because I played it without using fast travel, which really brings the strongest points of the game (the world layout, the sheer depth and beauty of the environment, the atmosphere) to the forefront. Even after hundreds of hours in a single playthrough you can still find new places, routes. When I started ER I decided I was going to play the same way but found out that it doesn't work, because part of what makes souls games engaging is the combat, which is kinda spoiled if you stop to fight the same 2 guys 50 times riding back and forth between the areas.

Pro Target

I do think both games represent the pinnacle of open world design because of the lovign care they took to craft really interesting places to explore. I thought I hated open world games until I played BOTW and realized that its just been done wrong this whole time, and I'm excited to see more games inspired by it. I think Elden Ring is the first game that really took those lessons to heart

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Heather Papps posted:

hmm yes. there is also some sort of adventure guide i am ignoring as well. i, as a huge loving nerd dork, have put a lot of thought into what i like in games and the 2 main things i like are engaging gameplay, (like the moment to moment experience should be fun. doing nothing in mario is fun but doing nothing but reading is better suited to a book i think) and learning the mechanics. i grew up swapping nes cartridges with friends at school and got used to not having a manual but figuring things out anyways. it was easier when controllers only had 4 buttons tho'.

give the adventure guide a glance if you're already several hours in, it's less of a manual and more of a short vague thing with some minor starting suggestions, lore blurbs, and pretty pretty art

Pro Target posted:

I do think both games represent the pinnacle of open world design because of the lovign care they took to craft really interesting places to explore. I thought I hated open world games until I played BOTW and realized that its just been done wrong this whole time, and I'm excited to see more games inspired by it. I think Elden Ring is the first game that really took those lessons to heart

i still think morrowind nailed open worlds back in 2003 but the rest of the game is so immensely rooted in 2003 it's hard to revisit. i mean, a ploddingly slow run speed that costs stamina? invisible to-hit dice rolls to swing a sword at a mudcrab? mutually exclusive questlines and alliances (okay that last one owns tbh)

e: whoa in night mode byob my av clashes with the colors and looks much darker, megaman's been kicking too many vending machines and shooting news reporter blimps and robbing banks

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie

time for haylie to try and cheer herself up with video games that aren't xcom after haging a stomach flu. gonna play pikmin 3