Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
NFT collector accidentally sells their rock for close to $0 instead of $0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
that's almost infinite % profit already

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/muradahmed/status/1502200522706767873

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

So is this where I buy the dip?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/wallstreetpro/status/1502233356745986052?s=21

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

incredible gif embedded there

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

oopsie! I sold my 7 figure jpg to an anonymous untraceable buyer who could be anyone, guess I just have to write off $1m in losses on my taxes this year. guess we'll never know who I bought the rock from and who I accidentally sold it to for nothing

oh these? these are my hardware wallets. I keep 3 on me for...redundancy. yeah, redundancy

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

gschmidl posted:

A cartoon rock, or "crock",

a cartoon rock of shinary digits!!! :xd:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

text editor posted:

oopsie! I sold my 7 figure jpg to an anonymous untraceable buyer who could be anyone, guess I just have to write off $1m in losses on my taxes this year. guess we'll never know who I bought the rock from and who I accidentally sold it to for nothing
technically they sold it to a sniping script created to take advantage of this exact mistake on behalf of an anonymous untraceable buyer

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

technically they sold it to a sniping script created to take advantage of this exact mistake on behalf of an anonymous untraceable buyer

they're suggesting they're doing a tax fraud, though i'm not really sure that makes a lot of sense here unless they expect to have a lot of other sales they want to offset. even then they're certainly not able to deduct the $1mm loss, since their cost basis was certainly less than that, though it's impossible to actually find this since opensea is just full of copies of copies of copies

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe they can just buy a copy then

no harm no foul

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
just imagine, somewhere out there is a bright, vibrant comunity of people who just talk about how amazing and valuable their rock drawings are

drk
Jan 16, 2005
the bid-ask spread on those dumb rocks is wild

listed price: $1.8M

highest offer: $77

https://opensea.io/assets/0xa3f5998047579334607c47a6a2889bf87a17fc02/70

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Actually, this is good for Bitcoin because...

Wait no, it is the statists attempting to reign in a long running grift service!! drat them!!

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 11, 2022

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Endless Mike posted:

they're suggesting they're doing a tax fraud, though i'm not really sure that makes a lot of sense here unless they expect to have a lot of other sales they want to offset. even then they're certainly not able to deduct the $1mm loss, since their cost basis was certainly less than that, though it's impossible to actually find this since opensea is just full of copies of copies of copies

if you're going full-on tax fraud, you buy the nft from someone who totally isn't you for $1m and "accidentally" sell it for $1. now you have a $1m loss to report and $1m of dirty money that you need to launder somehow.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

drk posted:

the bid-ask spread on those dumb rocks is wild

listed price: $1.8M

highest offer: $77

https://opensea.io/assets/0xa3f5998047579334607c47a6a2889bf87a17fc02/70

the art is even lazier than most nfts, too
instead of mixing and matching parts they just put different color filters over the same rock jpeg

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

aw man I just bought this rock for a few thousand, it has this amazing blue tint on the highlight and the shadows are just so dark, I literally can't stop staring at it. I'm thinking of getting it as a tattoo. Do you think disney would be interested in making a cartoon series about it?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I propose a cartoon series about people bludgeoning themselves in their head repeatedly with (ether) rocks until they get more and more brain damage, this will be GREAT and a producer will be picking this up soon I'm sure

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
pretty sure that one was intentionally made to make a point about how lazy NFTs are and then welp we live in a post irony world

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

[Fred Schneider voice] Rock fraudsters!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

novamute posted:

pretty sure that one was intentionally made to make a point about how lazy NFTs are and then welp we live in a post irony world

yeah though the rocks have actually been wash traded for a million in ETH a few times so its only part ironic

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Escape From Noise posted:

[Fred Schneider voice] Rock fraudsters!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Boxturret posted:

just imagine, somewhere out there is a bright, vibrant comunity of people who just talk about how amazing and valuable their rock drawings are

The whole "NFT as membership card" thing has been an interesting shift in the con, which I've particularly enjoyed after watching the Anna Delvey series on Netflix where she was basically running her whole con around setting up a similar "high-end, exclusive" membership club. That seems to be an excellent way to bring in a particular type of mark.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Look, it's an investment.

It took me a couple of seconds to figure out if this was parody or not. I should have known.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

lol

graph is showing nft search intrest dropping off a cliff btw

drk
Jan 16, 2005
but surely the conservative investor who only invests in "blue chip" nfts is doing well

oh

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

"We'll prove it by performing unethical experiments on members of the global underclass, bing bong so simple!"

https://twitter.com/brad_214/status/1502247660782333953

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

or something

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

The whole "NFT as membership card" thing has been an interesting shift in the con, which I've particularly enjoyed after watching the Anna Delvey series on Netflix where she was basically running her whole con around setting up a similar "high-end, exclusive" membership club. That seems to be an excellent way to bring in a particular type of mark.

one of the things about crypto is it literally can't be "exclusive" because it depends on a steady stream of new marks but oh man do the folks who sell it lean on that language

Juul-Whip posted:

"We'll prove it by performing unethical experiments on members of the global underclass, bing bong so simple!"

https://twitter.com/brad_214/status/1502247660782333953
these people have never been anywhere poor in their lives and it's so obvious, folks have cell phones and mobile payments in spots without regular electricity, it's basically the first piece of technology anyone gets. why would these "villagers" use bitcoin when they already have wepay and whatsapp and local competitors who have been in the market for a decade already?

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 11, 2022

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Surely upon witnessing the glory of crypto these poor communities will band together to build a solar powered mining rig that will connect to the internet through satellites or something?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only reason for the poor/unbanked to use any of this poo poo is to make some hodler money, that's it. there's no utility and the idea of a combination currency and speculation vehicle is as flawed as it was a decade ago

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

quote:

By the end of last year “there was a general sense that there was saturation in certain parts of the market, particularly in primate-themed profile pictures”

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i think it reached saturation point at one, with the current 2 billion it's so oversaturated that it's basically just monkey water with a few bits of dirt

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

qirex posted:

one of the things about crypto is it literally can't be "exclusive" because it depends on a steady stream of new marks but oh man do the folks who sell it lean on that language

these people have never been anywhere poor in their lives and it's so obvious, folks have cell phones and mobile payments in spots without regular electricity, it's basically the first piece of technology anyone gets. why would these "villagers" use bitcoin when they already have wepay and whatsapp and local competitors who have been in the market for a decade already?

a better experiment, give half the village $100 in cash and give the other half the keys to a bitcoin wallet containing $100 and make note of which ones tell you to go gently caress yourself

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Potrzebie posted:

lol, the conversion rate of WEI to ETH is 10^18:1
that's WEI less than he wanted! :xd:

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
even accepting the claim that giving a bunch of poor people some garbage made up crap will somehow increase their standard of living

that's called charity not capitalism

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
https://twitter.com/stereogum/status/1501587836650278912

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
are they owned by the radio shack guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

infernal machines posted:

are they owned by the radio shack guy?

no theyre self-owned