Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

BrotherJayne posted:

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1502075497991348226

Jesus loving Christ

Each and every one of those dudes has a wirecutter built into their goddamn bayonet.

Why are they advancing in masse down the middle of the loving hardtop and not cutting that wire and spreading out

Edit: Also: https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/russian-comms-ukraine-world-hertz

I'm the loose poo poo flying off that guy at every drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The Kremlin is increasingly desperate, because apparently they bet the house of Ukraine just rolling over and surrendering in front of the martial might of Russia. It turns out the forces they brought were completely undersized and underequipped to wage offensive war against an opponent the size of Ukraine.

They've also sold this misadventure to the Russian population as a minor intervention rather than a brutal all-out war, so they can't just start drafting men, because the public loves wars until it has to fight them. Besides, Russia's massive reserves are of questionable quality, in terms of combat skills and fitness. It's equally questionable whether they have the logistical capability to mobilize reservists quickly enough.

They tried calling on Kazakhstan, got snubbed, had the Belarusian military call it off and they got only small reinforcements from Kadyrov's private army in Chechnya.

That's the most likely explanation why the Kremlin has resorted to calling on random fighters from the Near East and goading Belarus to join the war. They need someone, anyone, to send them combat-ready, active duty soldiers now to break the stalemate.

The Kremlin's worst nightmare is ending up in a repeat of the Argentinian summer of 1982.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfker6cK3SM

I get all that.

I don't understand how Russian troops attacking Belarus translates to Belarus attacking Ukraine. Belarus already told Russia no. Belarus does not have the communication constraints that the Russian population has, so they will know Russia is attacking them. ("They" being the public of Belarus) This only works from the perspective of the Russian citizen. Putin and the military leadership know that it is Belarus that needs to be "persuaded". They aren't even attempting to make it look like a Ukrainian operation.

This plan only works in a vacuum that is controlled. People calling the shots know the situation is not under control. It is like someone started executing a plan two weeks to late.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1502277851730657280

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I mean, I know life goes on and all that but who is looking to buy apartments while the war rages on just down the road.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Jimlit posted:

I wonder if he noticed the magazine flying out in front of him.

Also, complete conjecture based off of nothing other than their loving around with all the reactors they come across. They don't want to drop a nuclear bomb (for now, who really knows) but they would be totally fine with a nuclear accident being an excuse to abandon the invasion (they can sell it at home as sabotage by some Ukrainian instead of their own actions, plus "we didn't lose, we quit").

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Arrath posted:

I mean, I know life goes on and all that but who is looking to buy apartments while the war rages on just down the road.

If it’s anything like here, Chinese and Israeli slumlords.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What makes Glenn even worse is he simps for a person who would probably enjoy him being killed simply for being gay. He’s like a Kapo.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

If it’s anything like here, Chinese and Israeli slumlords.

Oh right. The perverse influence of capital, how could I forget.

Just waiting for concrete spalled and pockmarked with bullet holes and shell fragments to be the new urban chic in trendy converted warehouses.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

ASAPI posted:

I get all that.

I don't understand how Russian troops attacking Belarus translates to Belarus attacking Ukraine. Belarus already told Russia no. Belarus does not have the communication constraints that the Russian population has, so they will know Russia is attacking them. ("They" being the public of Belarus) This only works from the perspective of the Russian citizen. Putin and the military leadership know that it is Belarus that needs to be "persuaded". They aren't even attempting to make it look like a Ukrainian operation.

This plan only works in a vacuum that is controlled. People calling the shots know the situation is not under control. It is like someone started executing a plan two weeks to late.
Hostages. "Get in, or we start bombing Homyel."

Also, a big chunk of the Belarusian public follows mostly Russian media, so they might actually still buy the "limited crusade against the drug-addled Ukrainian homo-nazis" story.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/IuliiaMendel/status/1502315019706552322?t=o81M9aB_ZdxmdzaEReJY5Q&s=19

Really hope this doesn't come to pass but there it is.

Also Russia's MFA is now loudly saying Ukraine with the help of US Special forces is getting ready to carry out chemical weapons attacks against civilians in Ukraine to blame on Russia. And if you believe that, I believe you might also be interested in reading a certain gentleman from Brazil's substack.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Handsome Ralph posted:

https://twitter.com/IuliiaMendel/status/1502315019706552322?t=o81M9aB_ZdxmdzaEReJY5Q&s=19

Also Russia's MFA is now loudly saying Ukraine with the help of US Special forces is getting ready to carry out chemical weapons attacks against civilians in Ukraine to blame on Russia. And if you believe that, I believe you might also be interested in reading a certain gentleman from Brazil's substack.

So Belarus is looking at Russia’s imploded economy and thinking “I want some of that?”

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

With the extreme levels of competence already seen in the Russian army, I can't wait to see them accidentally gas their entire army when they forget to check which way the winds are blowing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/jackdetsch/status/1502317483776217099?s=21

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

Most of that bullshit is likely for internal consumption.

The popular Russian opinion seems to be pretty anti-Putin at this point. Like, obviously there's a big motivated faction of Russians protesting, but that was even true in the US in response to an Iraq war that the median American was pretty supportive of, and this feels like it goes a lot deeper than that.

This is obviously just anecdotal, but among the Russian half of my extended family the attitude is pretty universally anti-war and anti-Putin, even among people who were pretty pro-Putin up until a few weeks ago. I was expecting a bunch of "gently caress the US for sanctioning us" nationalist blame-shifting, but that's apparently not how they're reading the situation within Russia (at least among anyone I have a line of contact with).

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Stultus Maximus posted:

So Belarus is looking at Russia’s imploded economy and thinking “I want some of that?”

That is why I am having such a hard time wrapping my head around this "plan". We decimated the Russian economy in hours, no other country wants a slice of that pie.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tired: Belarusian troops invading Ukraine
Wired: Chemical weapons

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Arrath posted:

Depending on the exchange rate I could see myself buying some waterfront Crimea property this month? Will that deed actually be viable in two years? Who knows.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

McNally posted:

How many of them even have bayonets? And were trained on how to use the wire cutter?

I can count on one hand how many times I even saw a bayonet after I finished basic training and the only bayonet I ever touched was the old M7, even though the M9 with wire cutter was adopted when I was two.

They're super easy to use on the Russian ones, you pass the "nubbin" on the scabbard through the hole on the bayonet tip, and then they work like shears

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I read elsewhere that a false flag is less probable than Russia having lovely targeting and hit Belarus by mistake.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Considering Putin is a Cold Warrior who might have thought he'd die in a MAD salvo in the 80s I'm not like, super optimistic that this dude will back anything down and sincerely hope I am wrong :(

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Tired: tanker crews
Wired: various models of Russian and Western ATGM

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Jimlit posted:

it's called battle rattle cuz that's the noise it makes when it falls off onto the hardtop

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

psydude posted:

Galaxy Brain: Russia blowing up Chernobyl as a false flag. That they've held for like a week. So everybody knows they are there and in charge.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

This is perhaps the best take I've seen on the conflict.

Yuval Noah Harari on the Ukraine War
"Human Stupidity Should Never Be Underestimated"

https://www.spiegel.de/internationa...c7-803f55cc1769

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

maffew buildings posted:

Considering Putin is a Cold Warrior who might have thought he'd die in a MAD salvo in the 80s I'm not like, super optimistic that this dude will back anything down and sincerely hope I am wrong :(

I'm not as concerned. I halfheartedly expect Putie to do a walk around of some missiles for propaganda and it's mistakenly revealed that they're cardboard mockups.

They're handing out decade expired MREs and have egg carton armor. Their infantry moves like a pack of 12 year olds playing paintball. They're giving Mosins to separatists. I would honestly be surprised if any of their ICBM crews could operate an Estes model set.

Besides, if MAD happens, it won't matter for long. Maybe the southern hemisphere will survive when nuclear winter and global warming collide.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

This is perhaps the best take I've seen on the conflict.

Yuval Noah Harari on the Ukraine War
"Human Stupidity Should Never Be Underestimated"

https://www.spiegel.de/internationa...c7-803f55cc1769

paywalled. what's the gist of it?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Farking Bastage posted:

Does anyone else see the irony in how we call the russian billionaires oligarchs, yet spare that term of endearment for the likes of Jeff Bezos?
We shouldn't.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

BrotherJayne posted:

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1502075497991348226

Jesus loving Christ

Each and every one of those dudes has a wirecutter built into their goddamn bayonet.

Why are they advancing in masse down the middle of the loving hardtop and not cutting that wire and spreading out

Edit: Also: https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/russian-comms-ukraine-world-hertz

I never thought i'd start to feel bad for these guys but here we are.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

HolHorsejob posted:

paywalled. what's the gist of it?

Don't underestimate stupidity.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

BrotherJayne posted:

They're super easy to use on the Russian ones, you pass the "nubbin" on the scabbard through the hole on the bayonet tip, and then they work like shears

Yeah, same as ours, but my point is how many of them know that? How many of them even have bayonets?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Much of russia's organs have been affected. FSB is intact.

Correction:
https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1502345408365748225?t=lNm6IS5wGcj04s8tBGidTg&s=19

Guy is translating from a Meduza article, here:
https://meduza.io/feature/2022/03/1...atsii-v-ukraine

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 11, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

Has this happened yet?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Top gun 2 gonna be super topical

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

McNally posted:

Yeah, same as ours, but my point is how many of them know that? How many of them even have bayonets?

It's academic anyway since they clearly can't figure out they shouldn't be following roads

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Say, question. I've been reading through this article since it was posted a while ago, and something seemed to stand out to me. It's describing the Russian logistical system as heavily rail-based, with a relatively short range once it needs to rely on trucks. It also notes the enormous logistical requirements of its artillery, which I've seen referred to elsewhere as best in class and heavily focused on in the Russian army. Wouldn't all this add up to make the Russian army uniquely ill-suited for offensive warfare outside its borders? It feels like the combination of "We need a huge logistical tail to make use of our strengths" and "We don't have one outside our rail lines" is a particularly bad mix. Am I missing something? Is the logistical demand of massed artillery not as heavy as it seems from the article, comparable to any other given military unit? Or is the Russian Army just fundamentally designed to operate on the strategic defensive?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Tomn posted:

Say, question. I've been reading through this article since it was posted a while ago, and something seemed to stand out to me. It's describing the Russian logistical system as heavily rail-based, with a relatively short range once it needs to rely on trucks. It also notes the enormous logistical requirements of its artillery, which I've seen referred to elsewhere as best in class and heavily focused on in the Russian army. Wouldn't all this add up to make the Russian army uniquely ill-suited for offensive warfare outside its borders? It feels like the combination of "We need a huge logistical tail to make use of our strengths" and "We don't have one outside our rail lines" is a particularly bad mix. Am I missing something? Is the logistical demand of massed artillery not as heavy as it seems from the article, comparable to any other given military unit? Or is the Russian Army just fundamentally designed to operate on the strategic defensive?

At this point many of us are no longer sure what the Russian army was designed to do. Logistical demands on artillery is theoretically lower since they don't need as much fuel, since they are moving as much. I am sure that "extra capacity" is filled by the large (both in amount and in size) ammunition needs.

From what I have been able to determine, the Russian logistical range is roughly "one tank of gas".

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Rommel at least made it halfway across Africa before running out of gas. Putin made it down the block.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Looks like purges are back on the menu, boys!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Tomn posted:

Is this a rhetorical question? Because you're right. Moscow's logistical organisation has been underdimensioned since the 50's* and they will never bother fixing it

*century undetermined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

psydude posted:

Rommel at least made it halfway across Africa before running out of gas. Putin made it down the block.

Rememeber the goon who thought he could hike across America and made it halfway into a state park before failing utterly?