Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DalaranJ posted:

No, he’s trying to give everyone else cover.

Reality:
Trump said bad things, because he meant bad things and tried to do bad things.
Now everyone sees that Trump got to say bad things, and they want to say bad things too.
Because they mean those bad things and desperately want to do the bad things.

Stantis Land:
Trump said the bad things, because he meant bad things and tried to do bad things.
Now everyone sees that Trump got to say bad things, and they know they have to say the bad things.
Even though they don’t mean the bad things, and would never try to do them.
Trump ruined everything!

It’s an orange man bad, from the right. “Orange man, and only orange man, bad!”

Yeah, Stantis is solely concerned with hoping and praying that republicans go back to using dogwhistles. That's the long and short of it. He's fine with the racism and the misogyny and the LGBT-phobia, he just doesn't like when his side actually admits it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

the_steve posted:

Yeah, Stantis is solely concerned with hoping and praying that republicans go back to using dogwhistles. That's the long and short of it. He's fine with the racism and the misogyny and the LGBT-phobia, he just doesn't like when his side actually admits it.

don't say gay, but also don't say don't say gay

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the Mariupol hospital bombing – Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy condemned a Russian attack on a children’s hospital in Mariupol as ‘genocide’"
:siren::ducksiren::siren: Bonus! Are you a potential Guardian cartoonist? :siren::ducksiren::siren:

Telegraph:

Roman Abramovich sanctioned throwing future of Chelsea into turmoil

Independent:

Pentagon rejects Poland’s surprise offer of MiG-29 fighter jets for use by Ukraine

Times:

Bonus! Morland's animated cartoon.

Evening Standard:

Britain warns Putin over chemical weapons as Ukraine raises alarm on Chernobyl

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I actually kind of like this Bok. I hate to say that, but it admits that Biden isn't actually implementing the Green New Deal and is actually not supporting anyone that's slightly left of him. It's a refreshing factual statement in contrast to all the "Biden is the greatest communist in history" from every other right winger.

We'll make sure your gravestone in this thread is tacky and trite.

That's pretty mean - this thread ends December 31.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

kartikeya posted:

Oh gently caress off, Rall. People have been protesting Iraq and Afghanistan for two loving decades, but I suppose it's possible likely you just weren't paying attention.
Hey now Rall spent those decades drawing drones in the corners of his cartoons and who gave him credit for it? No one!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Put that Rall in the dictionary for the entry on Whataboutism. loving tool.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

the_steve posted:

Right, it’s important to remember that ‘Stantis Land’ is a lie he’s trying to sell us, not what he really believes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
All the way from 2018:

Discendo Vox posted:

Fluggennock and Rall are literally propagandists working in service to a hostile foreign power. When you engage with the text of propaganda and not its context, the propagandist succeeds. Like Stonetoss, the point of consideration for every comic by them should be “how is this designed to convince Americans to harm ourselves or give up on politics?” Frequently, the intention is to sow internal discord and cynical detachment from civic discourse. Universally, the intention is to target you, the reader.

On Russian propagandists, at no point do you “gotta hand it to them.” They are trying, actively, knowingly, to hurt you. There are no good Rall or Fluggennock comics. At best there are ones deserving of mockery for the ineptitude of their methods.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

That's the foreign minister Marise Payne and the attorney general Michaelia Cash.

Warren Brown:

Moir:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Opposition leader Anthony Albanese has been visiting overlooked flooded areas in northern NSW and criticising the government's piecemeal approach to disaster relief. Former PM Bob Hawke made the pledge that by 1990 no Australian child would be living in poverty; this is a slam against Albanese for saying he wants to govern like Hawke.

Leunig:

The newspapers are still printing Leunig.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Neito posted:

I was like 90% sure that it's just the (what, 50? 75 year?) pension funding requirement that did that, but hedged my bets.

IIRC the senate just passed a bill to remove it, so hopefully we'll see some happiness out of the postal arena soon.

Yeah they had to fund all potential pension costs for a full 75 years instead of the normal pay as you go
method. Literally no pension or retirement fund operates like this because its would crush any organization doing it. So each year after the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 passed suddenly the postal service was posting huge loses and defaulting on its payments because it’s simply insane to do something like that. But then right wing assholes got to point to the post office as the government failing at running something efficiently

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
"Reading the room is bad" is exactly the kind of take I'd expect from Leunig.

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

Trapezium Dave posted:

First Dog on the Moon: All the cool kids are talking about State Capture – it's everywhere and you don't want it

A learned fact: The Australian system of electoral financing is just as bad and corrupt as the American system of electoral financing. (Incidentally, is there any public funding of elections in Australia?)

A known fact: Campaign financing reform, unfortunately, is such a dry and tedious issue that both Australians and Americans would rather cut their arms off than listen to a discussion about it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Discendo Vox posted:

All the way from 2018:

This post made me curious what Flugennock has been up to since the Russian invasion and the answer is, well, nothing. His last political cartoon that I saw on his blog was from February 21st, and it was just a lame "USA skeleton at the Olympics" thing.

Maybe he has some standards and decided "gently caress it, I'm not doing Russian propaganda for free," unlike Rall and Garrison. Not saying that's what's happening, just that it's at least possible from the looks of it.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

NDP posted:

(Incidentally, is there any public funding of elections in Australia?)
If you get at least four percent in the election you can put a claim in for expenses for an amount based on how well you go. AEC current funding rate is A$2.914 per vote received, which my napkin maths put that at about A$250K for a lower house MP who gets 50%. Of course that's all after the election so if you're trying to make it as an independent you have to stump up the campaign money first.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
I read this in the wrong order.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

goddamn speaking of doing propaganda work for free.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Trapezium Dave posted:

Leunig:

The newspapers are still printing Leunig.

For a guy who posts so much about it, I don’t think Leunig has ever touched grass

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

So Russia is cut off from the world and gas prices have gone way up, so to try to mitigate that Biden’s going to these other places to get oil, but that’s a bad thing to do because what he’s supposed to just make it appear out of thin air or something?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Murdstone posted:

So Russia is cut off from the world and gas prices have gone way up, so to try to mitigate that Biden’s going to these other places to get oil, but that’s a bad thing to do because what he’s supposed to just make it appear out of thin air or something?

See that one labeled "Gas Prices"? He's supposed to push it to "low" rather than pulling it to "high".

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Murdstone posted:

Because the NatSec ghouls Ramirez takes marching orders from really want war with Venezuela and Iran. All other concerns secondary. Refer to the Vox post a few pages up.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Jedit posted:

You reminded me of the origin of the stopped clock metaphor, which was Lewis Carroll. In one of his finer combinations of mathematical logic and absurdism Carroll asserted that a clock stopped at eight o'clock was more useful than a clock that gained a minute every hour, because a clock that gained a minute would be right only once every two years whereas the stopped clock is right twice a day.

A century later Raymond Smullyan expounded on this by addressing the question Carroll had deliberately ignored: if you know when the clock that gains a minute an hour was last set then you can always calculate the correct time from it, while the stopped clock has no such point of reference. Smullyan's response was that you should watch the stopped clock very closely, and at the exact moment that it is right it will be eight o'clock.

I appreciate the anecdote, and after reading it, thought to think up an approprate application for this thread, but in every scenario, Rall is still the worst cartoonist.

A precious few can be taken at face value; I trust that First Dog and Ruben Bolling are right on the money, because when they speak on matters I do understand, they've never been wrong. They're good clocks.

For most thread regulars, you can usually arrive at a reasonable conclusion by assuming the exact opposite of what they're saying is true. Not quite as accurate, but you can tell, for example, that Jen Psaki dunked on some JAQ-off reporter whenever Branco makes a cartoon of her looking like a defeated bridge troll, or that administration offered a measure of support when all of them switched from "Biden is a coward" to "Biden is a warmonger" overnight.

Ben Garrison is a good barometer for what is going on in the deep chud mediasphere, the real fringe poo poo that even Fox News won't touch. Like there have been tweets going around about how Dan Bongino and Ben Shapiro's social media presence sharply dropped when Russia got the heavy sanctions, and his cries of a "media blackout" tells me that this also hits all the nazi news that doesn't get boosted into our faces by YouTube and Twitter.

Bennett and Horsey are always good for a moderate or radical liberal take, respectively, which offers insight into the two biggest voting demographics.

Even absolute say-nothings like Fishman and Stantis model the complex levels of self-deception you need to be a "moderate" Republicans.

Ishida offers a full and complete overview of the "Ironic" Sexist -> Male Feminist -> TERF -> Fascist pipeline.

But Rall? What can one learn of the world from reading a Ted Rall cartoon? How would one correct it for bias? If you take away "everything everyone does is equally bad and only Ted Rall deserves to be in charge" and "never directly criticize Trump/Russia," what is left? I genuinely cannot think of a single thing I've learned from a Ted Rall cartoon, and I'm a guy who can find meaning in Prickly City if pressed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Because the NatSec ghouls Ramirez takes marching orders from really want war with Venezuela and Iran. All other concerns secondary. Refer to the Vox post a few pages up.

Ramirez is unlikely to take marching orders from "NatSec ghouls". Based on his publication history (which has moved around over time) and his background in conventional journalism, plus his history of press appearances, he seems like someone with a specific editorial style who is just marinated in and believes conventional paleoconservative talking points, right out of the 80s-90s Reaganite/dittohead era. Right now the person who's technically paying his bills is Sheldon Adelson, iirc.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

They're also mad that he isn't amping up drilling for our pure, local North American oil :911: .

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ted Rall believes only in Ted Rall; that's it. Right and wrong begin and end in his world solely as it relates to himself, Ted Rall.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

This is because Ramirez is nearly as bad at dialogue/cartoon layout as Branco. English has someone reading left to right, top to bottom. Your eye automatically goes to the right blurb first because it's at the top. Your eye shifts immediately to the middle one because you're automatically looking one line down and back to the left, and then your attention drops down to the bottom. It feels awkward to read both ways, because it's not how our eyes are trained to read things. Nothing about the actual cartoon helps this, Biden's not what draws attention first and rando Gerald down there certainly isn't doing that either. I have no idea why the plane, which should be background and not the most detailed and colorful thing in the picture, is taking up half the page while also occupying the exact center of the cartoon with a door carrying the presidential seal where at least one of these dipshits should be standing, but Ramirez is a loving hack. This is better if the two Geralds swap dialogue (although still terrible), or would alternatively work just fine if the offramp were front facing and the trio were centered where their boring rear end (in comparison) color scheme would at least be the first thing people look at. Probably.

Hell, I hold that 90% of Ramirez cartoons would be vastly improved if he just zoomed the gently caress in.

kartikeya fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 12, 2022

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

kartikeya posted:

This is because Ramirez is nearly as bad at dialogue/cartoon layout as Branco. English has someone reading left to right, top to bottom. Your eye automatically goes to the right blurb first because it's at the top. Your eye shifts immediately to the middle one because you're automatically looking one line down and back to the left, and then your attention drops down to the bottom. It feels awkward to read both ways, because it's not how our eyes are trained to read things. Nothing about the actual cartoon helps this, Biden's not what draws attention first and rando Gerald down there certainly isn't doing that either. I have no idea why the plane, which should be background and not the most detailed and colorful thing in the picture, is taking up half the page while also occupying the exact center of the cartoon with a door carrying the presidential seal where at least one of these dipshits should be standing, but Ramirez is a loving hack. This is better if the two Geralds swap dialogue (although still terrible), or would alternatively work just fine if the offramp were front facing and the trio were centered where their boring rear end (in comparison) color scheme would at least be the first thing people look at. Probably.

Hell, I hold that 90% of Ramirez cartoons would be vastly improved if he just zoomed the gently caress in.

6 hours drawing the plane, 6 min for the rest

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Barrel Cactaur posted:

6 hours drawing the plane, 6 min for the rest

Is the plane DEBT?

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Nick Anderson

Clay Bennett

Stuart Carlson

Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

John Deering

Al Goodwyn

Walt Handelsman

Clay Jones

KAL

Steve Kelley

Gary Markstein

Henry Payne

Rob Rogers

Drew Sheneman

Jeff Stahler

Dana Summers

Tony Branco

quote:

On Bended Knees Biden is begging for oil from dictators after shutting down America’s main energy sources.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Everyone in this cartoon looks extremely happy with their new giant vroom vroom, I can only conclude that Payne approves.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
They really don't understand pipelines do they

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vib Rib posted:

They really, truly don't.

All day long at work, I have to listen to coworkers go on about how gas was practically being given away under Trump and how the pipeline was giving us infinity gallons of fuel all the time forever.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
This is so fuckin stupid :allears:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vib Rib posted:

Or how global commodities are traded in a capitalist system.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
And again, the Keystone pipeline was never shut down. The only thing Obama stopped was the Keystone XL, which Trump approved the building of when he was in office, but only 8% of the thing was built before Biden stopped it again. XL was never operational at any point, so it very obviously wasn't necessary for the low gas prices we had under Trump, so Biden stopping its construction is clearly not to blame for the current prices.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I also like how they are screaming that shutting down the Keystone XL construction is reducing or eliminating our energy independence. Yes, the Keystone XL pipeline would be 100% domestic energy...with most of it coming from Canada, apparently the newest state? When in reality it would be just more oil revenue flowing out to evil dictators like Justin Trudeau!

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 12, 2022

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kit Walker posted:

For a guy who posts so much about it, I don’t think Leunig has ever touched grass

You can absolutely tell that he got told 'Read the room dude' when he went off on an antivax spiel, and this is the immediate result.

"NO I WILL NOT READ THE ROOM, THAT'S ONLY FOR DUMB IDIOTS"

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

I know we are well into the Carmen runs as a libertarian arc, but I got to say, I love how this is an replay of the same arc from 2016, with the exact same "jokes". Why would you write your political cartoon as a narrative if you have no interest in telling a story of any kind. Sinfest is bigoted dream logic gibberish, but at to Ishida's extremely limited credit, he at least is trying to say something. Stantis may be the laziest and most indifferent cartoonist posted here, even including Gorrell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson: the Putinful game – More than two weeks after the invasion of Ukraine, the UK imposed sanctions on Chelsea’s owner over his links to Vladimir Putin"

Telegraph:

China's Xi calls for 'maximum restraint' in Ukraine

Independent:

After Van Gogh.

The i paper:

Times:

Stephen Collins: