Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Game-Blouses posted:

Hi everyone. Just wanted to ask a follow up question here… I tried to hook this up and noticed the platter wouldn’t turn. Also noticed a slight metallic grinding if I hand turned the platter Decided to replace the belt. Hooray, it spins. Oh no, grinding sound is still there! Also when I press play (33), the tone arm swings over, but doesn’t swing high enough to land on the vinyl. One issue at a time, so here’s a brief vid of the grinding with the platter and plastic cover off. It’s louder with the platter on, which makes sense with more weight being involved.

https://youtube.com/shorts/iffdiCHpf4w?feature=share

I know there are tons of forums out there. Are there any in particular you can recommend for this? I have a place about 45 mins away who can look at the issue, but they have like a 6 month backlog.

Thanks in advance!

E: looks like the part grinding is called a flywheel (duh)

Late to the party, but easy questions first: the transit screws (the three big silver ones with a giant flathead slot) are each turned fully clockwise to their stops and the platter/flywheel flops around vertically if you gently poke it, right? If it was still in active use they should probably be unlocked, but they can sometimes tighten themselves with enough jostling around. Like, say, while putting the table into a car and moving it to a new house.

B&O tables will gladly try to run as long as they've got power — the transit screws are just big dumb screws — but the clearances won't be correct if everything's not floating on its suspension.

Game-Blouses posted:

You can tell its obviously distorted. Whether that’s the record, stylus/cartridge/tone arm, or something else - I can’t say.

With the scraping, the speed's varying, giving you that delightful wonky-speed playback.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

Molten Llama posted:

Late to the party, but easy questions first: the transit screws (the big silver ones with a giant flathead slot) are each turned fully clockwise to their stops and the platter/flywheel flops around vertically if you gently poke it, right?

B&O tables will gladly try to run as long as they've got power — the transit screws are just screws — but the clearances won't be correct if everything's not floating on its suspension.

It’s funny you say that… it’s the first thing the guy at the shop noticed. So, at the time of the video, it was still locked for transit. He positioned it the screws in the right spot and said it tracks correctly (automatic tonearm not raising high enough not withstanding).

He didn’t have the time or space to hook everything up and test it. I was excited to hook it up once I got home this afternoon, but the issue still persisted (grinding and distortion). I’m going to look at it more closely and see if I can gently bend the flywheel. In the meantime I’m going to get some cleaning stuff for the stylus. Probably should have done that already.

He’s not accepting any new repairs until mid June due to his backlog. So, I wouldn’t mind trying minor things in the meantime.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

my turn in the barrel posted:

After years of not having the space to have my records and stereo all in one spot I finally have my own place again and can put the effort into getting everything organized.

What is the cheapest goon approved a-z alphabet dividers that would stick out slightly when using cube shelving?

That's a great looking room!

I just put out another of my all vinyl sets. You can check it out over here.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-march-2022/

I am going to be talking with one of the Mixcloud app developers on Mon. They are looking for feedback on the app. So if you use it, any suggestions? Also, if you don't use it, any particular reason?

EDIT: Here is a silly little promo video I whipped up for my mix https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdAsqNhu/

sporklift fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 6, 2022

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Picked up Lovage from the local record store and pre-ordered Fantastic Damage. All in all, a good day for white whales.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Ballz posted:

Picked up Lovage from the local record store and pre-ordered Fantastic Damage. All in all, a good day for white whales.

Is the reissue out or did you grab an OG.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Reissue I need my vinyls to be pretty colors.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the site said it's not coming out until the end of april what the poo poo

e: ah, the 2xLP version is now, the 4x is april

hexwren fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 7, 2022

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Ballz posted:

Well that, and the fact that the original is still going for 200+ I think.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

:frogsiren:

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
was visiting Chicago, stopped at Reckless and found this gem. how could I not? its like my favorite album cover ever:

and yes, it does have the insert:

album is great, of course. hard to believe she was only like, 19 when this was recorded. I think the music on here was done before her actual debut album. Haruomi Hosono contributes a couple songs (one of which is the "finished" version on that little instrumental on Hosono House), but some of her originals are better.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Ballz posted:

:argh:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hell yeah Squid live!

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I posted about diy dividers and the shipping killed the comic dividers a goon generously offered. I looked all over online and didn't really find any DIY ideas that didn't cost more than just buying commercial dividers.

So I went to the dollar tree ($1.25 tree now lol)

I got 4 packs of cutting mat and some letter stickers.

Cut the mats into 2"×14" strips and popped on some letters and $6.25 later....

Font on the stickers isn't my favorite but $1.25 doesn't equate to a huge selection. I figured I can always 3d print letters at some point down the road once I figure out a font I like.

I really like that they are pretty much invisible from across the room but easy to read when actually looking through the records.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

VINYLS

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

:hmmyes:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
FYI- the numero group reissues of Karate’s catalog might be selling out if anyone is interested. In Place of Real Insight is sold out in vinyl, still have cassette. Still have the first album, and I think they did a much bigger run of Bed Is In The Ocean. There’s a new color way for that that was just released, so I have to imagine the bigger albums will have runs that last a while. Still no reissues for the ones after Bed.

But if you want the first album, you should probably look soon.

https://numerogroup.com/products/karate-the-bed-is-in-the-ocean

Reunion tour this summer! Probably a one-off because of Geoff’s hearing, so see them while you can.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

:frogout:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ayyy Sparks just announced a bunch of reissues including Lil Beethoven. :hellyeah:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

sick, time to remove a bunch from my wantlist and scoop up the reissues instead.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Picked up the 2016 reissue of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. Currently got it playing while I finish up work for the afternoon. Great album.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Just acquired:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Forgot to post these the other day from the local shop. I sent my wife a pic of the Space Jam album more as a joke and she replied, "It's already at the house." So I was kinda obligated to buy it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I do think they've been on absolute fire for the last couple of years but without a doubt that live LP represents the band at their peak performance-wise. The budget was still there for a full-scale band, each tour had its own unique design and concept and Molly was just a real find (plucked from the coffee shop the band used to frequent). That performance of "Dinah and the Unclean Skin" is aaaaaaaaaaaabsolutely vile. All I want them to do is pick up a real drumkit again, Womrwood-style.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

I do think they've been on absolute fire for the last couple of years but without a doubt that live LP represents the band at their peak performance-wise. The budget was still there for a full-scale band, each tour had its own unique design and concept and Molly was just a real find (plucked from the coffee shop the band used to frequent). That performance of "Dinah and the Unclean Skin" is aaaaaaaaaaaabsolutely vile. All I want them to do is pick up a real drumkit again, Womrwood-style.

I knew you'd be summoned if I posted this. What are some good albums of that era if I liked the tracks from the 2000s on this comp? I didn't get to the live disc yet.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I just gotta take any chance I can get here, 'cause who else am I going to talk about it with? Other Residents fans? Gross.

CPL593H posted:

What are some good albums of that era if I liked the tracks from the 2000s on this comp? I didn't get to the live disc yet.
Honestly you can skip Wormwood the proper album (I don't really listen to their MIDI era) and head directly to those live shows in the box set that just came out. The bad vibes are gut-wrenching. Lots of real good agonized wailing. It's mostly screaming about foreskins. Plural. Ten stars.

Demons Dance Alone is particularly lauded as their best and surprisingly easy to listen to, even if it's a sad 9/11 album. Animal Lover is the underdog because of all the processed vocals, but it's probably the band at their most organic instrument-wise, with lots of absolutely gorgeous Balinese Gamelan percussion. I don't know why it's not on that compilation, but The Whispering Boys is an all-timer.

Deep cut weirdness? Mah boy The Ughs, which was The Residents forming an entirely new band to further distance themselves from their own personal expectations and feelings about what The Residents should sound like. Super swampy and atmospheric instrumental. Hands down their worst album cover:

:frogsiren:

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Looks like Girl Talk is finally shipping soon.

gently caress this hobby lol

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

IG-88 posted:

Looks like Girl Talk is finally shipping soon.

gently caress this hobby lol

2nd batch? I'll finally believe it when I have the records on my turntable.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

esperantinc posted:

2nd batch? I'll finally believe it when I have the records on my turntable.

Yep, at least for All Day. I'm not really clear on the other one and I definitely don't remember what I did the day I ordered.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Your setup is very cool! If you pop into my post history I think I posted a picture of it but when my fiancé put together a new record cabinet for me last year she got a bunch of paint sticks from Lowe’s or whatever and stained them then used a wood burner to etch the letters into them for dividers. They turned out super cool

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Just stopping by the Goodwill on the way to pick up lunch, found a coupla honeys:
Front:

Back:

And also:

The jacket has mildew on it but to my surprise it has a very nice plastic inner sleeve that's protected the record from it. Looks in great condition. Also found a Budha records compilation that apparently has some juvenile version of "The Mighty Quinn," which I want to hear, to see if it's better than the 3 I's did it.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 10, 2022

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I had completely forgotten I bought a copy of Rock 'N' Roll Juggernaut by The Meatmen and then the message on the back

felt like they caught me slipping. It's going on next.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Does no one else keep a folder in their email just for stuff they pre-ordered so they don’t forget? Or just me.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

dorium posted:

Does no one else keep a folder in their email just for stuff they pre-ordered so they don’t forget? Or just me.

I keep a spreadsheet. :ohdear: There's less than ten titles on it at the moment, though.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

petit choux posted:

Just stopping by the Goodwill on the way to pick up lunch, found a coupla honeys:
Front:

Back:

Hell yeah

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

dorium posted:

Record pre-orders are reasonable enough that I don't, but my concert tickets folder always looks like a bomb went off and it's impossible to sort because most of them have the subject of THANK YOU FOR YOUR PURCHASE - DO NOT REPLY and that's it.

Sparks is on Sunday. :buddy:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I delete all the evidence and then get fun surprises

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

dorium posted:

I keep a list in my phone, it currently has two things on it that are records. One of which was supposed to come out in October. Of last year.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

dorium posted:

I have a folder for all emails related to orders placed, and a folder for all emails related to shipping. So I can easily see what's coming at any given time.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

Record pre-orders are reasonable enough that I don't, but my concert tickets folder always looks like a bomb went off and it's impossible to sort because most of them have the subject of THANK YOU FOR YOUR PURCHASE - DO NOT REPLY and that's it.

Sparks is on Sunday. :buddy:

Hell yeah, I hope it's a good one. I'm seeing them at Big Ears later this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Frozen Peach posted:

I have a folder for all emails related to orders placed, and a folder for all emails related to shipping. So I can easily see what's coming at any given time.