Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Serephina posted:

Tribal is hard locked to tribal innovations and they can't build new holdings. As the player you can probably get your enjoyment out of making a continent-spanning empire in a single lifetime then retiring the save file, but for longevity purposes Tribals have real problems. Not just the innovations/holdings/development/unreformed-religion thing, but that succession is a shitshow as your heir won't have a huge prestige bank to pay for your absurd MAA forces. Feudalizing is also fun for the player as it takes a 'won' game and turns it on its head as your economy collapses and you have to make hard choices.

As a new player getting my feet wet as a Norse King of Sweden, any tips for how/when to change to Feudal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Money, lots of it.

Raid your heart out and try to bank around 2k gold, but certainly no less than 1k. Make sure any buildings you're holding onto in your personal domain already have structures in them; they'll swap to (random?) feudal equivalents, which cost a hell of a lot more time&gold. After the swap you will immediately notice that a) even thinking about raising your armies bankrupts you, and b) gently caress, my gold income is negative when they're not raised anyways. Dump that saved gold bank into upgrading every drat income building you can. If you're still able to raid for whatever reason then by all means keep those levies cranking in the gold to float you for the ~30 years while your income stabilizes. In the worst case scenario, you may have to disband some MAA. Tragic, I know, but tribal's entire shtick is being able to raise absurd armies that nobody else could afford.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, money

After switching to feudal, you will be poor and weak for a while

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Those are some good changes, and the game is updating for me right now. Can't wait to play with the new patch.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Mmmmm. That's good changelog.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Now, brain? Now will you let me start a goddamn CK3 game?

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Does anyone else have an issue where if you open a screen/menu from the right side buttons and close it, the "A" button no longer functions for panning the map? I can fix it by hitting Esc and then going back into the game but it is really annoying.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Samadhi posted:

Does anyone else have an issue where if you open a screen/menu from the right side buttons and close it, the "A" button no longer functions for panning the map? I can fix it by hitting Esc and then going back into the game but it is really annoying.

Yes, this has been a weird little glitch since launch for me.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

War is profoundly profitable throughout the entire game. Ransoms are probably the absolute best way to make money to invest in infrastructure.

e: VVVV Indeed. There is a fun little trick though where if you can conquer something feudal, you grant that to your Primary heir along with a title that's equal in rank to your own (though I'm not 100% sure that part is required), and then when you take over as them you're now a feudal ruler with an unreformed religion, which means you can still use the conquest CB and raid all over the place, which allows for some fun shenanigans all it's own. Less useful as Daurama though because if you're going to do Mother of Us All you will be making your own religion anyway and you can just mash OP tenets in there.

My favorite thing to do is ransom a bunch of people right as I'm about to capture their capitol. Yes, when you release people the war score percentage drops back down, but hey, you just captured their capitol again, it's probably fine. Its basically free money

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Related to that: a trick I discovered recently, now that dread is not so easy to get killing prisioners, is to torture the enemy king/duke/whatever if you happen to capture him during the war, just before hitting the "enforce demands button" (which will release them)

Torturing high ranked guys give a lot of dread

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Changelog posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/ck3-dev-diary-90-the-1-5-1-update.1514785/

• The Development progress from the Industrious Cultural Tradition is now applied at most once a year

drat, that was such a nice development boost. Probably not really worth it anymore.

Changelog posted:

• The Jousting Lists and Archery Ranges Duchy Buildings now give bonuses to camel, elephant, and archer cavalry
  • The Parthian Tactics perk now boosts Elephant and Camel cavalry
  • The War Camps and Hunting Grounds buildings now give Horse Archer bonuses

Glad to see these oversights get fixed after they split them out in to unique unit types.

Changelog posted:

• Northern Lords legacies can now be gotten by dynasts of any culture descendent from Norse as well as Norse culture itself

Thank god. It still means you always want to have some sort of Norse variation to get the perk trees started, but at least you don't have to be purely Norse only.

Changelog posted:

• Holy Orders can now raise themselves when at war or pledged to a Great Holy War

That was such an obnoxious bug, glad that got fixed.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

E: wrong thread

V happy about the new faction changes

Alfred P. Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 10, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wait how long have we been able to rename children??

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yay I can play this game now.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

quote:

Claim wars started via Hold Court events no longer cost prestige to declare
Yeah, I had to savescum because I did this and I lost a full level of fame because I didn't have enough prestige. With of course no tooltip on the option.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Hey y'all I just picked up the game after years - dumb question, but why can't I appoint any courtier to the Steward position? Seems like Spymaster accepts any rando in my court and/or direct vassals, but Steward only allows vassals and important family members? I tried looking around but neither the tooltips nor the encyclopedia list any requirements for the council positions.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Most council positions adhere to gender law, which means unless they're the rare female ruler/vassal, you're stuck with only men. Spymaster is a notable exception to this.

I think also most court positions (the minor things found in the Royal Court DLC) are mutually exclusive with being on the big council, but I suspect the minor position is just vacated as they get promoted rather than disqualifying them.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Serephina posted:

Most council positions adhere to gender law, which means unless they're the rare female ruler/vassal, you're stuck with only men. Spymaster is a notable exception to this.

I think also most court positions (the minor things found in the Royal Court DLC) are mutually exclusive with being on the big council, but I suspect the minor position is just vacated as they get promoted rather than disqualifying them.

I’m not sure if it’s a bug, but I’ve had counselors ask for court positions like bodyguard, I’ve given them to them, and they’ve immediately left the court position once I’m done holding court. But I still get the opinion bonus for giving them what they wanted.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Today I learned that the British Isles do not count toward the achievement for conquering all the islands. Luckily I only got as far as Canarias.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

SexyBlindfold posted:

Hey y'all I just picked up the game after years - dumb question, but why can't I appoint any courtier to the Steward position? Seems like Spymaster accepts any rando in my court and/or direct vassals, but Steward only allows vassals and important family members? I tried looking around but neither the tooltips nor the encyclopedia list any requirements for the council positions.

You can have a lady spymaster but not a lady other positions in most jobs straight off the bat. Priest dude is based on your religion so you may or may not be able to replace them and then that can be gender based.

Basically Chancellor, Steward and Marshall are the only ones that are standard jobs (dudes who have a title), spouse, archibishop have very specific rules and spymaster is kind of off the books so can be anyone. It becomes insignificant after the first few battles though but early on yes, it can be slim pickings.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

As first time playing 867 tribals after playing 1066 feudal since forever, Daurama Daura is fun. Your husband is a Terminator and with his troops you can kick the crap out of everyone in the area, which allows you to quickly set up a big "power base" and snowball enough to create several titles and raid with impunity for mad cash (relatively) and prestige, plus the mystic stuff is cool and sinking gold there seems to have hefty bonuses.

Managed to create the kingdom of Hausaland without even trying, but then played a bit more sloppily and I couldn't get to exalted among men for the kingdom invasion before dying and leaving the kingdom of Hausaland + 2 duchies + Daura county to my quite decent son with a million claims, a small piggy bank and a stack of 600 sahel cavalry / 300 skirmishers (should I replace those with more cavalry / other troops?). Let's see how it goes from there... focusing piety seems to work well and I think could give enough to easily modify the religion, since witchery is already accepted plan is to also make adultery accepted for everyone and just let people go wild since it seems the AI just really wants to do it anyway. Maybe include carnal exaltation and polyamory tenet for maximum :quagmire: hippie free sex witch covens

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Train Commanders still doesn't work :v:

:negative:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

wit posted:

You can have a lady spymaster but not a lady other positions in most jobs straight off the bat. Priest dude is based on your religion so you may or may not be able to replace them and then that can be gender based.

Basically Chancellor, Steward and Marshall are the only ones that are standard jobs (dudes who have a title), spouse, archibishop have very specific rules and spymaster is kind of off the books so can be anyone. It becomes insignificant after the first few battles though but early on yes, it can be slim pickings.

Yeah I was just asking because I've actually had a female marshal for decades (I hate her, she's too powerful, lady you're past 60 and keep enlarging your duchy with unsanctioned wars, please die, please die) and I'm not sure if she's an exception because she's a landed (and powerful) vassal or because of cultural shenanigans (I'm playing Makuria/Nubians, I think there's some Female Warriors belief in there somewhere), it just seems weird that ladies are allowed to chop heads but not collect taxes.
Anyway I didn't double-check the mechanics and invited a highly capable lowborn lady to court, now I gotta tell her she can't get the job :smith:

Also, any thoughts on Artifacts? I don't have the DLC (lots of people are saying it's not worth the pricetag for something that's largely cosmetic, but I love largely cosmetic poo poo so I might consider it in the future) but collecting a bunch of trinkets is right up my alley, so I was wondering if it's worth it to keep an antiquarian on the payroll and commission artifacts when I have enough money, or if I should wait to get some via random events or whatever (do I need to have an antiquarian for those events to show up?), or if I'm better off just skipping the trinket collecting entirely.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah that’s because she’s landed. The Nubian warrior queens oddly doesn’t effect who you can put on your council because that’s restricted by religious gender laws. You can be queen, you can be a knight because Nubians are gender equal in military. You can’t be steward unless you change to a gender equal faith. It’s uh, yeah.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SexyBlindfold posted:

I was wondering if it's worth it to keep an antiquarian on the payroll and commission artifacts when I have enough money

I think so, at least for awhile. You'll get a bunch of crappy ones, but sometimes you end up with some amazing things. At the very least, get an item for every slot IMO.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

binge crotching posted:

I think so, at least for awhile. You'll get a bunch of crappy ones, but sometimes you end up with some amazing things. At the very least, get an item for every slot IMO.

commissioning artifacts only return common rarity artifacts. if you want to get great artifacts without dlc, spam commission epic like your life depends on it

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

scaterry posted:

commissioning artifacts only return common rarity artifacts. if you want to get great artifacts without dlc, spam commission epic like your life depends on it

I've gotten several green artifacts off of commissioning them. I thought that was the point of the artifact events.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I don't think I've ever got a non-common item off the Commission Artifact decision. I'm pretty sure the only way to create them is through Sponsoring Inspirations.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
While I'm at it - can someone explain to me how exactly declaring war on a realm that's already in civil war works? Because it *seems* as if their armies just stop fighting against each other and stack against you? Maybe it depends on the type of civil war? I was fighting against a ruler who was fighting against a Liberty faction (assuming that'd be the best time to press my claim), and I can understand having both sides of their civil war be hostile against a foreign invader, but it's kinda BS that the game stops counting their armies as hostile towards each other.
Is the best strategy for those cases to wait until one side wins and then attack the weakened, but unified, realm? Or does it just make no difference?

Also I hate that if you have the Honest trait, one of the best self-care routines for your mental well-being is outing every single gay person you come across, but look, ruling is stressful,

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

I don't think I've ever got a non-common item off the Commission Artifact decision. I'm pretty sure the only way to create them is through Sponsoring Inspirations.

That was my experience too. Didn’t seem worth except to literally fill a space with anything because you had nothing else.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

While I'm at it - can someone explain to me how exactly declaring war on a realm that's already in civil war works? Because it *seems* as if their armies just stop fighting against each other and stack against you? Maybe it depends on the type of civil war? I was fighting against a ruler who was fighting against a Liberty faction (assuming that'd be the best time to press my claim), and I can understand having both sides of their civil war be hostile against a foreign invader, but it's kinda BS that the game stops counting their armies as hostile towards each other.
Is the best strategy for those cases to wait until one side wins and then attack the weakened, but unified, realm? Or does it just make no difference?

When you attack anybody, you are hostile to them and all of their vassals. Normally vassals don't defend the realm, so you don't have to fight them, but if they're fighting a civil war against their liege (or I'm pretty sure just are in a vassal war against each) you are hostile to any of the armies they have raised to fight said war. They still don't actively team up with their liege to fight you like you describe, but the AI in general absolutely loves chasing down hostile armies it is confident it can beat (the general AI does this too, it's nothing particular to vassals or civil wars; it's arguably the correct call too), so if there's a powerful vassal army nearby you'll want to keep your distance. They absolutely do not stop being hostile to each other. And in fact in the case where two armies hostile to you are battling in a province and then your army enters, you will patiently wait for their battle to conclude and then fight the winner.

One particular exception is Holy Wars; vassals might be able to join as a defender, I'm not entirely sure what the rule is there.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SexyBlindfold posted:

Also I hate that if you have the Honest trait, one of the best self-care routines for your mental well-being is outing every single gay person you come across, but look, ruling is stressful,

I found it amusing that as a Forgiving person, if I blackmailed someone to gain a hook I would gain some stress, but then instantly forgiving that hook would make me lose a ton more stress than I gained from the initial blackmail.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If I’m a vassal, my liege has the be the one to grant me a higher title right? Like even if I control every county in a duchy, I can’t create a Duke title for myself, correct?

Decided to start a Spain game and got bumped down from King to count. Partly because my cousin kept starting wars with my stronger brother king and kept losing, which meant he kept ceding territory to that king and just making him that much stronger until I couldn’t stop him. Would’ve been fine if my murder scheme hadn’t been foiled.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You can create a higher title, but not if it would make you the same level as your liege.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
One kinda cool thing about Royal Court is that your dynasty gets far more renown from vassal kings now that they all have their own courts/renown-granting artifacts. I'm in the 1350's ruling all of India/most of Tibet, and am pulling in 220 renown/month. Every Kingdom title that can be created in my realm exists, and almost all are branches of my dynasty. In similar runs in previous versions I'd be lucky to get more than 20-25 renown per month.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
andalusian artificers seem to create stuff at one level higher on commissions, but that might also have to do with getting lucky on event rolls.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

I found it amusing that as a Forgiving person, if I blackmailed someone to gain a hook I would gain some stress, but then instantly forgiving that hook would make me lose a ton more stress than I gained from the initial blackmail.

this is called self-care

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah, that's a huge benefit to being forgiving, as long as you're ok with leaving your spymaster looking for secrets forever.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Train Commanders still doesn't work :v:

:negative:

This bothered me enough I was specifically looking for it today while playing. Seemed to be working fine for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Norse are so OP. Along with combining cultures to get a bunch of good culture traditions and picking the Norse dynasty legacies, I have multiple berserkers at 48 prowess without any items equipped. In fact, my top 9 best knights are all over 30 prowess.

Additionally, after a war, ransoming prisoners gets me both hundreds of gold and prestige. If I don't want to let them go, I can recruit them for a strong hook.

I don't even need to bother with the Blood dynasty legacy. Anyone in my culture and dynasty are kings/queens on the battlefield.

It also helps that I added Warmonger to the eastern religion!