Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Not a TV exactly, but I backed the Anker Cosmos Laser 4k (because of the hefty discount) and it's arriving Monday.

I actually had no idea what I was going to do with it outside of occasional outside viewings, but I realized as the delivery date got close that a portable 100" two leg screen is high enough to straddle my entertainment center and my receiver has dual HDMI output. From couch distance, it will be able to do a slightly larger than 90" screen.

I'm excited. It won't be setup all the time, but it will make some movies an event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Not a TV exactly, but I backed the Anker Cosmos Laser 4k (because of the hefty discount) and it's arriving Monday.

I actually had no idea what I was going to do with it outside of occasional outside viewings, but I realized as the delivery date got close that a portable 100" two leg screen is high enough to straddle my entertainment center and my receiver has dual HDMI output. From couch distance, it will be able to do a slightly larger than 90" screen.

I'm excited. It won't be setup all the time, but it will make some movies an event.

Eager to see how it performs. I've had major audio HDMI lag issues with their other, lesser, lines so hopefully that's not present.

Also I know it's uncouth, but are you just rich or childless? I live vicariously through all of your phone/gadget purchases.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Childless. I also live in a pretty cheap area.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Are there any Hivemind Approved non-OLED G Sync TVs?

We're starting to look for a TV for media and gaming but I don't think our 1080Ti or 3080 will deliver 4k60 Ultra (High maybe?). I asked in the SH/SC Monitor thread and got steered this way.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was playing Elden Ring last night on my TV and I only have a 2080. Wasn't perfect, but more than playable. And I only mildly adjusted settings from max.

You could always go for one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Omen-Emperium-65-Display-4JF30AA/dp/B07M888GH8

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
The 3080 will do 4k60 high/ultra/RT for most games that aren't poorly optimised made the last few years. VRR (eg Gsync) seems a mixed bag though on non-OLEDs. On the Sony's it disables local dimming for example. DLSS will also help for those games that support it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
65" C1 is on sale at Woot for $1650. Free shipping for Amazon Prime members. Given the anticipated price jump to the C2 model, anyone who might be in the market might want to jump at this.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

denereal visease posted:

Are there any Hivemind Approved non-OLED G Sync TVs?

If it's literal GSync you want and not just VRR, there aren't any non OLED ones save for the already mentioned HP Omen X and Asus PG65, both of which are a poor value purchase for virtually anyone.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can someone help me decide between these 2 budget tvs? I like the Hisense more due to being Roku and it seems like response time is better. The Vizio seems slightly better in every other way but that trail in the response time photo looks like poo poo.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/r6090g

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/v5-series-2021

This will just be for gaming and light streaming in a bedroom.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

65" C1 is on sale at Woot for $1650. Free shipping for Amazon Prime members. Given the anticipated price jump to the C2 model, anyone who might be in the market might want to jump at this.

I’ve been looking at the c1 for awhile now. Is there a big difference between this and the c2?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The C2 will supposedly be brighter but probably not many more big differences between them.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 11, 2022

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
So is the thought that the C1 might start to see a dip in price?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Krime posted:

So is the thought that the C1 might start to see a dip in price?

Possibly but the C2’s will supposedly launch at a higher MSRP so maybe not so much.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Also...supply chain.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Yeah... Our bedroom TV (46" 2009 Samsung LCD) is finally dying.

I have to decide if I want to directly replace it or get a 77" C1 for the living room and move the living room TV to the bedroom.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Raspberry Bang posted:

I’ve been looking at the c1 for awhile now. Is there a big difference between this and the c2?

The C2 will be brighter, probably have a better processor, and will be carbon fiber (lighter and stiffer). But it will also be a few hundred bucks more expensive than C1 launch price, so this deal is a huge price difference.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Portable screen arrived and proof of concept validated with my tiny portable Nebula II 720 projector. It was a bit of a PITA to setup with 1 person, but unmanageable.

4k with laser brightness is going to be a really cool experience I think. I'm sure this screen isn't the best thing ever from a black level and reflective perspective. I wonder if this is going to end up being a gateway to a rigid wall screen and a short throw projector when my C6 kicks the bucket.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It will not.

I have a coworker who got the Hisense 5k Laser with an ALR screen and it's good at night but an absolute piss-poor replacement for an OLEd during the day with light everywhere

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

True, hopefully by the time my C6 dies 90" OLEDs will be available and affordable

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm still crossing my fingers that sometime after QD-OLED screens become cheap they figure out how to do 3D again.

BTW, I was at Costco this morning and the fan-favotrie Denon was in stock again!

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Hnnngggg.... C1 dropped another $100 at BB.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FilthyImp posted:

I'm still crossing my fingers that sometime after QD-OLED screens become cheap they figure out how to do 3D again.

There's nothing to figure out. They just don't want to add the manufacturing complexity back.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

SeANMcBAY posted:

The C2 will supposedly be brighter but probably not many more big differences between them.

I’ve got the 48” C1 as a bedroom TV and it felt eye searingly bright coming from an older TV. 30% brighter seems like something you’d only want in a room where the sun shines directly onto the TV.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
For the C1, how do you turn off the option for automatic device activation?

Like when you turn the TV on or switch inputs it turns my Playstation or uhd player on automatically.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That would be a CEC setting.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Got a weird issue with my TCL R646 65” TV. If I start up my Xbox Series X from sleep it goes into game mode but it’s just not bright enough, almost like it’s turning on the HDR but not cranking the backlight to compensate? It’s not super dark but it’s definitely dimmer than it should be.

If I run the HDR calibration app on the Xbox after wake it will reset the brightness and everything looks great. AppleTV on another input does not have this issue.

Any ideas?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Got the Nebula Cosmos 4k.

This thing is seriously impressive. Still refining my setup, but things are nice enough that I could see myself installing a drop down screen in the ceiling and wall mounting my TV so I can get just 6 inches more throw distance.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Does the optimal height for a TV depend on its size?

We currently have a 47" TV, but will likely buy something larger in a year or two (we moved and 47" is too small for the ~10' viewing distance). In the meantime I am starting to look at childproofing the house, and figured I'd just finally get around to mounting the TV instead of bothering with straps. I've wanted an excuse to mount it anyway simply for aesthetics.

Am I going to regret choosing a particular mounting height for this 47" when I buy a 70" or whatever in a year or two? I'm seeing conflicting answers online--some sites say bigger TVs should sit higher, other sites say that only the height of the center of the screen matters (which I would assume is size-agnostic).

I'd prefer to install just one mount and leave it for this TV and the eventual replacement, but I don't know if that's realistic.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Center of the screen at viewing height is what I'm planning. On a bigger tv that may be slightly higher assuming you have something below it and may not have clearance to get it perfect. Depends on your setup IMO.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Now I’m imagining a math problem where, when given the average eye level height on a standard American sofa, what the largest TV set you can purchase that maintains that center level but is also so big it’s resting on the floor

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Theres an untapped market out there for, and I'm surprised I haven't seen it yet, building frames for modern TVs that match the aesthetic of floor models. Or even actually making it so they can rest on the floor, in the case of ginormous displays as mentioned above.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

incogneato posted:

Does the optimal height for a TV depend on its size?
Yes. It depends on the height of the television, your distance from the screen, and the most comfortable viewing angle. Luckily, people have made tools that can help you with this sort of thing. You can also get a laser level out, sit on your couch, and adjust the beam height for comfort, then position the television so that bisects the height.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Now I’m imagining a math problem where, when given the average eye level height on a standard American sofa, what the largest TV set you can purchase that maintains that center level but is also so big it’s resting on the floor

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
What's the recommendation for a 1k or less 75" TV? I can go a hundred or so over for the TV if it helps with longevity/readability, and I intend on having it installed at an additional charge.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

thechosenone posted:

What's the recommendation for a 1k or less 75" TV? I can go a hundred or so over for the TV if it helps with longevity/readability, and I intend on having it installed at an additional charge.

You're in luck — Best Buy currently has the Hisense U7G on sale for $1100 on the nugget.

In-depth review from Rtings

Endorsement as best in class from Wirecutter

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Samsung QD OLED:

55" 2399 usd
65" 3499 usd

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

We knew they weren't going to be cheap but goddamn.

The 65" is only a grand away from the price of the 83" LG CX.

As figured, Samsung's move into OLED wasn't to compete directly with LG and Sony, it was to create an upper product tier.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
finally getting an OLED! Little worried about getting it set up actually with how thin it is. I assume lay the box down, slide it out horizontal, mount the base, and then flip it up grabbing it only by the handles?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My lg sat upright and the box was removed around it. Pick it up by the bottom and don't lay it on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I actually have the opposite problem, I'm moving tomorrow and need to get my CX back in to the box. This is going to be "fun". I'm glad I kept the box, the moving company won't touch it without the original box. My old Scarlet is going to just get tossed in the back of one of our cars.