Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Clarste posted:

Yeah we are definitely going to Asia to dal with more Quen stuff imo.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Permitted East

Re: DLC I think it's likely we'll get something to do with the fate of Elysium. It's alluded to very ominously and there's a lot of creative opportunity to make it a huge sprawling underground dungeon.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hollismason posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the DLC

An entire new continent with a big empire seems a little outside the scope of a DLC, imo.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just fought an Apex Stormbird and that might have been the most miserable thing I’ve done all game.

EDIT: actually farming apex anything for parts is just miserable holy poo poo this isn’t ideal or very fun! I might lower the difficulty to make it less annoying but maaaaaaaan

I wish they'd lower the component cost for these upgrades. You brought down one of the mightiest and deadliest machines on earth! Now go hunt it several more times because you need multiple rare components or the one you were after didn't drop! It's very silly. I like hunting stuff but not when it involves traveling between campsights nearest to the handful of places these machines roam a bunch of times. It just becomes routine busywork.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Given where FW left the story we now have a mostly powered up GAIA in additional to the Zenith base, ship, and orbiting station. They're totally gonna have us see the rest of the world as we put some sort of defense against Nemesis

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Klungar posted:

So what's the odds on terms that pop up on the periphery of this game that will be used as the subtitle for the next game?

Options I like:

Ancestral Legacy
Enduring Victory
Vast Silver
Operation Nemesis
Elysian Fields

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Marin or the Grand Canyon seem like good DLC location options, you could tack either onto the map pretty easily. i'd lean towards the latter given that there's not much of interest in Marin, it'd just be more redwood forest in addition to the inexplicable one where the central valley should be

for the sequel give me the giant flying chinese snake dragon machine i need it

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Not that inexplicable, vegetation was entirely reseeded from scratch in Zero Dawn, which is why San Francisco has palm trees and Monument Valley is a jungle.

I'm inclined to agree with the Grand Canyon, it would be in the same geographic area as the Burning Shore hints and it's one of the major features of the area yet to appear in the games, and I doubt they'd want to go back to the southwest for a third game.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
i need to see orange county entirely submerged.

please, guerilla

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Grand Canyon would for me be a really boring location unless they added more fauna or something like that. I dunno its a giant canyon not that interesting geographically.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Machine overriding is so powerful any time you actually have the opportunity to do it. I did a fight against multiple Skydrifters and overrode one, and it both distracts and does huge damage to the other 3 I was fighting.

Another fight I overrode a Bellowback, which handily survived until the end of a confrontation with several other machines, including two other Bellowbacks.

If you haven't gotten the Skill, do all machines get overridden as the equivalent of "Defensive" mode? Defensive mode seems really inconsistent if you want a machine to fight. At first I thought it mean the machine would attack whenever you do, but I did a Defensive Override on a Clawstrider once and it just sat there while I fought.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You are correct - Apex Machine Hearts are for endgame gear upgrades. Metal Blocks are worth keeping too - Salvagers will trade those for Machine parts, and they have some rare goodies.

Thanks for answering this - for some reason Google also wasn't very helpful. Googling for anything related to games is so terrible these days - you get nothing but clickbait sites with virtually zero information (like if you google and item you'll get 8 sites that just say "X is a resource item in the game Horizon: Forbidden West")

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Ytlaya posted:

Thanks for answering this - for some reason Google also wasn't very helpful. Googling for anything related to games is so terrible these days - you get nothing but clickbait sites with virtually zero information (like if you google and item you'll get 8 sites that just say "X is a resource item in the game Horizon: Forbidden West")
In that vein, if anyone has a link to a page listing what resources are needed to upgrade each armor, that would be really helpful. Searching for the name of the armor just returns a bunch of those identical content aggregator sites that only have the stats of the armor listed.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So far on VH difficultly, the hardest part was the first shellsnaper you meet with Talanah, the main quest bosses have all been easy thus far. Hunting lodge challenges are super cheesy and annoying but not hard. I just started the arena amateur challengers, just haven't beat Slitherfang yet. I think it makes it harder because they change your load out, otherwise its not too bad. Btw can you just farm the easy challenges for arena medals?

Boltblaster is so loving op but it's basically a death sentence to stand still in this game. If you have it max upgraded and valor surge you literally just tear a machines entire body. Basically vs some machines it's better to switch into this instead of going for crits, you can get rid of their annoying weapons. I also saw some guy completely destroy the slitherfang with the shredder/boomarang, it looks fun to use but I haven't found it yet? I am guessing you just buy it somewhere?

Ulio fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 11, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ulio posted:

I also saw some guy completely destroy the slitherfang with the shredder/boomarang, it looks fun to use but I haven't found it yet? I am guessing you just buy it somewhere?

There's a sidequest from one of the main settlements that'll give you one but some merchants have them as well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just finished my final two Cauldrons today , but I'm kind of disappointed because now I have to farm machines for parts in order to get the overrides. I really don't like that.I will say that the level design and puzzles in the cauldrons were really good they all felt really different even if the last one I did was a water level dungeon. It was still really good.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 11, 2022

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Hollismason posted:

Just finished my final two Cauldrons today , but I'm kind of disappointed because now I have to farm machines for parts in order to get the overrides. I really don't like that.I will say that the level design and puzzles in the cauldrons were really good they all felt really different even if the last one I did was a water level dungeon. It was still really good.

I liked that about the cauldrons that they were all different. I did get a bit annoyed with CHI because of that whole Ok, you've got the missing part. Now we're going to make you backtrack and redo the thing with the crane arm in the opposite direction.

For the farming I just dropped the game down to story mode and it makes it a lot easier.

I also had the problem with the mystery override on the list. Hopefully they patch it.

I missed getting the scan for Specter Prime and a little annoyed because I don't have a save near that point. Thing was I did scan it each time I died and had to start over, but it looks like it didn't take.
I had the same issue with a few machines that I found in cauldrons that I know I scanned and never did die to them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Turmoil posted:

I liked that about the cauldrons that they were all different. I did get a bit annoyed with CHI because of that whole Ok, you've got the missing part. Now we're going to make you backtrack and redo the thing with the crane arm in the opposite direction.

For the farming I just dropped the game down to story mode and it makes it a lot easier.

I also had the problem with the mystery override on the list. Hopefully they patch it.

I missed getting the scan for Specter Prime and a little annoyed because I don't have a save near that point. Thing was I did scan it each time I died and had to start over, but it looks like it didn't take.
I had the same issue with a few machines that I found in cauldrons that I know I scanned and never did die to them.

I didn't mind that puzzle because it wasn't a very long one. So I wasn't too annoyed by it

I don't see the point of getting the overrides because they seem really situational.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I think I'm one of the odd folks out; I not only didn't mind farming for upgrades, I genuinely enjoyed it! I liked the combat so much that a purpose-driven loop was no problem. The Jobs feature helped a lot as well.

That said, I probably would've hated it if I had needed Shellsnapper. This description -

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're just Rockbreakers, But Worse. And I really hated Rockbreakers
- is church.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It won't happen but I would be thrilled if the sequel had simulation elements.
Just preparing/uplifting all the various tribes so the world is ready to fend off Nemesis.

I only did one Cauldron all game. Don't like them. Long climbing sequences really take me out of the game. Especially with how visually busy the cauldrons are.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

isk posted:

I think I'm one of the odd folks out; I not only didn't mind farming for upgrades, I genuinely enjoyed it! I liked the combat so much that a purpose-driven loop was no problem. The Jobs feature helped a lot as well.

That said, I probably would've hated it if I had needed Shellsnapper. This description -

- is church.
I like the upgrade loop too, just as long as Shellsnappers aren't involved. I really like how the resource system forces you to engage with a lot of machines in different ways; you can't just pop a Bellowback's sac (which was always my opening move in HZD) if you want the webbing, for example.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Megera posted:

i need to see orange county entirely submerged.

i mean, you can probably just wait 30 years irl

Ulio posted:

So far on VH difficultly, the hardest part was the first shellsnaper you meet with Talanah, the main quest bosses have all been easy thus far.

quest enemies get straight up nerfed (but shellsnappers are still fuckers despite) a lot of the time. several quest boss thunderjaws are missing disk launchers and/or half their health

the final battle in particular is a cakewalk in comparison to endgame apex machines. specters are just underpowered because they're something you have to fight pretty early, don't have apex versions, so they're pushovers when you're level 50. i was expecting the specter prime to be more of a threat, but it pretty much melted instantly without posing much of a threat. this makes sense since the mission has to accommodate for people that beelined straight to it, though it was a bit weird because Erik actually /was/ a pretty difficult fight even at high level.

also, Tilda revealing that her plan all along was to fly into space with you to rekindle her long lost lesbian crush on your clone mom as you rebuild a biosphere as god queens of a new world was a weird turn, and casts her relationship with Beta in an :ohdear: light

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I didn't figure out that destroying components didn't allow you to harvest them until after I had killed like 20 bellowbacks and was like " Hrmm maybe destroying it doesn't allow you to pick it up" and then a tip came up saying so.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

isk posted:

- is church.

I'm not very far into the game but if they want to make horizon into monster hunter mechanics/gameplay but with better story+setting+chars I'm all in

I think doing a few runs for the ultra hard facepaint on the original game clued me into paying attention to the machine parts in the notebook, so in this one the second I scan a machine (or even fight one Ive seen) I check all the text in the notebook on them. I did take the threads advice on easy loot though (as well as always on rock handholds)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I'm probably going to advance the story a bit I'm on Faro's Tomb quest and I don't have any quests popping up anywhere that I'm visiting.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So I finished the omega quest: So Ted Faro spent a thousand years as a mutated mess in a small container...karmic I guess. I also continue to be baffled over how loyal video game henchmen are. The whole bunker is on the verge of exploding and yet they remain to kill Aloy even as their leader run away.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Alhazred posted:

So I finished the omega quest: So Ted Faro spent a thousand years as a mutated mess in a small container...karmic I guess. I also continue to be baffled over how loyal video game henchmen are. The whole bunker is on the verge of exploding and yet they remain to kill Aloy even as their leader run away.

Personally, I was wondering who all these scientists and engineers are that would build all this stuff for a billionaire even knowing that they and everyone they love are going to die from the robots anyway. Like, isn't that the perfect time to flip your boss the bird? It doesn't matter if he fires you when you're dead either way.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 12, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Clarste posted:

Personally, I was wondering who all these scientists and engineers are that would build all this stuff for a billionaire even knowing that they and everyone they love are going to die from the robots anyway. Like, isn't that the perfect time to flip your boss the bird? It doesn't matter if he fires you when you're dead either way.

It probably was already in place prior. doomsday bunkers are already a thing. They probably just took one he already had and retro-fitted it with the longer lasting thermal generator and door / shielding so the outside plague couldnt detect it

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Clarste posted:

Not just any billionaire either, it's the one who shares his name with the threat in the first place.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

FireWorksWell posted:

Not just any billionaire either, it's the one who shares his name with the threat in the first place.

Yeah, I'm surprised he wasn't murdered by his bodyguards before it even got to that point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It probably was already in place prior. doomsday bunkers are already a thing. They probably just took one he already had and retro-fitted it with the longer lasting thermal generator and door / shielding so the outside plague couldnt detect it

There's an audio log that says there were NDA'S for the NDA's for the contracts to build Thebes, and it was compartmentalized so nobody knew the full scope of it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

From what Alva said I suspect that the soldiers on the expedition were chosen on a combination of unquestioned loyalty and bloodthirst. Not that those sort are very hard to find. I'm not sure but I think this is reinforced by the fact that Aloy never talks to any of the soldiers aside from one telling her the Ceo wants to meet her. No quests, no cutscenes. All the interactions is either the Ceo, the prophets or the navigators. They're just blindly loyal mad dogs.
Also; in the 3rd game I care less about stopping Nemesis and more about illuminating the Quen to the truth of Ted Faro. Any culture that worships Ted Faro either needs to be enlightened or razed to the ground.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

also, Tilda revealing that her plan all along was to fly into space with you to rekindle her long lost lesbian crush on your clone mom as you rebuild a biosphere as god queens of a new world was a weird turn
This is one change in the storytelling that was a poor departure from the last game. I remember the antagonist (well, Sylens anyway, I just had to look up Helis' name) because of how much communicating with him was integrated into the storyline of HZD while you were going through main quests while not being forced to stop and listen to a cutscene. But completely skippable info dumps represent 90% of the characterization of Tilda. Oh, you don't want to spend 15 minutes listening to her talk about her paintings, exhaust 10 minutes of questions during breakfast, and then exhaust all of her chat wheel in the base? Then Tilda might just come across as having a change of heart in her years with rear end in a top hat space techbros and as someone wanting a new interesting traveling companion instead of the HUGE CREEP that she is. (Note: I don't know if she reveals more about her & Lis's relationship without prompting during the final mission if you didn't find out earlier)

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

and casts her relationship with Beta in an :ohdear: light
It's implicit but I don't think it's subtle at all especially with her painting commentary. When she's talking about Rembrandt's son and how the sting of loss of a loved one never goes away. Or the militia painting where the woman isn't actually present but always there in spirit. Or how the Vermeer forgery is technical and competent but doesn't make you feel the way the original does. Or her harping on the romanticism of Selene stealing away to visit Endymion in secret. Tilda was definitely grooming Beta to be her surrogate Elisabet replacement but ghosted her when she realized that Beta wasn't anything like Lis - unlike this new teenaged redhead roaming around the American west. The only way they could have made Tilda more of a blatant sex pest was if she'd been a British aristocrat. And you can just walk right past and ignore all of that character background.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm playing Ted Farros Tomb and holy poo poo is this crazy. I'm not finished with it yet I just got inside the tomb! I fought some robots from the first game and killed them. Of course Ted had a spiritual gurro ? with him

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 12, 2022

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Probably spoiler that first part?

*edit: Thank you!

isk fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 12, 2022

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

isk posted:

Probably spoiler that first part?

Sure , I can.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Is there anything strange I need to know about Apex Scorcher Hearts? Not only are they not dropping from about 10 scorchers in a row, but the quest, if I make it active, that needs them won't point to the scorcher sites that I have on my map. It just says unknown scorcher site with no waypoint. My map locations are spawning Apex Scorchers, they just aren't dropping hearts.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 12, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

BitBasher posted:

Is there anything strange I need to know about Apex Scorcher Hearts? Not only are they not dropping from about 10 scorchers in a row, but the quest, if I make it active, that needs them won't point to the scorcher sites that I have on my map. It just says unknown scorcher site with no waypoint. My map locations are spawning Apex Scorchers, they just aren't dropping hearts.

Drop rate of hearts from apex scorcher is supposed to be 51%. You sure that all those killed scorchers were apex variants? If so dont know what else to say, would be either something wrong or really bad luck. I think they dont show on the map because there arent any static/guaranteed apex spawns, but still, where they can appear it will be at those sites.

Just finished the melee pit in Thornmarsh and drat do the combo challenges suck. In-game instructions are misleading and i had way better luck following this users modified instructions: https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/122641-the-enduring-fair-warning-on-the-thornmarsh-melee-pit/

As an aside, fireclaw webbing is my least favourite upgrade resource to hunt, please stop asking for it. It would be useful if jobs marked the corresponding machine site for apex parts, saves some map searching.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 12, 2022

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

BitBasher posted:

Took a bit for me on that farm as well, just keep at it. The reason the game doesn’t show you the path to where to find Apex variants is because they aren’t a 100% spawn anywhere, just have a chance to spawn at any territory where their base version does.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Clarste posted:

pretty sure this was built before the general public really knew the true scope and cause of the plague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao what the gently caress

I overrode this "Purgewater Canister Burrower" and it proceeded to one-shot another Purgewater Canister Burrower followed by one-shotting a Frost Glinthawk, both wtih some super long-range attack where it threw some sort of projectile.

Was not expecting this thing to just effortlessly solo all the other machines in the area (except for this Bellowback).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 12, 2022