Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BoldFace posted:

Pretty good drone footage of Ukrainians attacking a Russian convoy.

:nms: Dead soldiers, exploding armored vehicles
https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1502374717361209347

:stare:

gently caress me that RPG team at the beginning of the ambush is inside of 40m. I’m surprised the Russians aren’t hearing the balls of the Ukrainians clank as they move around at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

CuddleCryptid posted:

It must be a very strange feeling to have the nation that has been a constant threat to you for decades suddenly turn out to be nearly harmless. It's like if we found out that nuclear weapons didn't work anymore because of 5G towers or whatever and now nuclear annihilation can't happen.

Indeed. Through my time in the FDF way back the mentality was in a way that a war was super unlikely (in 2002) but if it ever broke out it would be apocalyptic for Finland. And that most of us would be dead very soon. And now, watching how the Russians are doing in Ukraine it makes me feel anxious, relieved and stupid at the same time.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Is the joke that noted veteran Charles Schulz failed to kill anyone during his service in WW2, or what

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
On a lighter note: I half-remembered a spot from the 90s about a Soviet cosmonaut crashlanding in Ukraine without any knowledge of the fall of the USSR (I think somewhat based on a true fact?)

The spot is in Italian - the subtitles at least, since it's spoken in what I believe to be Russian. This was a spot for a geographical encyclopedia and it's eerily called Ukraine is Ukraine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzloWn1EZN4

quote:

Ukrainian Babushka: What the hell is happening?
Russian Cosmonaut: Mother Russia!
UB: This isn't Russia, it's Ukraine.
RC: Ukraine is Russia.
UB: Ukraine is Ukraine.
RC: Over there there's Czechoslovakia, Prague!
UB: Overe there there's Slovakia, Bratislava.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BoldFace posted:

here's a good example for the "are tanks useless?" argument

even though one armored vehicle gets hit severely by a side ambush, following vehicles immediately respond with heavy cannon fire. whoever fired that rocket better be hunkered down real good or have a prepared escape along some ditches or something. like if you turn around and run like hell you've got a pretty good chance of making it out but you've still got tanks shooting at your rear end

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Devor posted:

Is the joke that noted veteran Charles Schulz failed to kill anyone during his service in WW2, or what

The joke is that someone said "Schroeder's Military" when they meant "Schrödinger's Military" and I was riffing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

even though one armored vehicle gets hit severely by a side ambush, following vehicles immediately respond with heavy cannon fire. whoever fired that rocket better be hunkered down real good or have a prepared escape along some ditches or something. like if you turn around and run like hell you've got a pretty good chance of making it out but you've still got tanks shooting at your rear end

the editing makes it hard to tell the sequence of events and how quickly that return fire happened, but yeah hopefully the rocket-firing guy got out ok because that's a big explosion from where the rocket was fired

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My first thought was that "at that range there's no way the AT team is getting out of there..." Though maybe I'm overestimating the ability of the Russian convoy to spot and shoot the shooter before the shooter gets out of sight again.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

When the attack is happening this close, is it possible to have a single use rocket launcher set up ahead of time and activated remotely from a safe distance?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Yeah that was weird because the tank column took a *long* time to respond in a meaningful way. Hope the Ukrainian team skeddaddled effectively.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
New Map (substantially the same as old map)!

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1502381698381713416

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A no fly zone doesn't literally mean nobody is allowed to fly any planes.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Bellingcat got confirmation that the false flag did apparently happen, just not in the exact town cited by the Ukrainian military
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1502358809406279685?t=eBrSkAHIP4zELF681EQ-rw&s=19
The fact that the Belarusian military ain't said poo poo makes me think they don't want to get mixed up in Ukraine at all.

Also apparently the Russian military really didn't think they were going to war and were selling off the newer rations. So the soldiers get to starve, steal, or eat the old stuff
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1502369032888016898?t=k0E0a81ipXF7zuGep8MFWQ&s=19

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Devor posted:

Sometimes comic strips don’t have jokes. Sometimes they just have the wizard of id saluting the troops or Garfield thinking of the horrors of Auschwitz or whatnot.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

evilweasel posted:

lol ukraine captured an entire ammunition convoy

https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1502366591304048647

it's pretty bad when even your logistics are like gently caress it, i'm walking home

This is not the best idea. There are "hot" rounds that explode guns and maim soldiers. See Syrian war tactics.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah that was weird because the tank column took a *long* time to respond in a meaningful way. Hope the Ukrainian team skeddaddled effectively.

I think we saw earler some kit that was fired remotely? So the fire team doesn't have to necessarily be at the release site.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Minenfeld! posted:

It's a combination of factors, yes.

Worth noting that the coalition also had like 3,000 planes deployed.

I know, I am just pointing out that 200 sorties not even over Ukraine is not some sort of demonstration of Russian air dominance.

Additionally, I would not be the least bit surprised if this number of sorties by Russia has been static over the whole conflict.

Literally all that was provided is some more precise information than we have had in the past about what’s going on in the air, with the USDODs analysis being unchanged: Ukraine is effectively contesting its airspace, and Russia has failed to achieve air superiority.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BoldFace posted:

When the attack is happening this close, is it possible to have a single use rocket launcher set up ahead of time and activated remotely from a safe distance?

it depends on the specific system but yes, some are capable of being fired remotely. some ATGMs are shoulder fired, you have to be holding that one, like the javelin or NLAW. some are mounted on tripods, and of those some have the capability of being fired from a little controller so you can be off to the side a bit. the intention is so that the operator and the point where the rocket is visibly fired from are not exactly the same spot, so even if you shoot at where the smoke came from you're not killing the operator (probably)

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Seamonster posted:

This is not the best idea. There are "hot" rounds that explode guns and maim soldiers. See Syrian war tactics.

I would be surprised if Russia had truck loads of sabotaged ammunition to fake ‘abandon’ at this point. Especially when they cannot even keep their own forces in supply.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Duetschebank realizing that staying in Russia is kind of a bad look for a bank that wants to pretend it isn't just a giant money laundromat and it's finally bailing
https://twitter.com/DeutscheBank/status/1502369686792593409?t=5vLtxIrMywkUT6E-3t9hSA&s=19

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

The whole problem when talking about peace deals is that Russia isn't happy unless Ukraine accepts subjugation and incorporation in the Russian sphere of influence. Even if Ukraine cedes Donbass, Crimea and accepts not joining NATO - Russia will still insist on demilitarization, no EU membership and Russian influence on Ukrainian internal affairs. It isn't possible for Ukraine to have a meaningful peace deal where the conditions include ceasing to be a sovereign nation - that's just a surrender wrapped up as a peace deal.

Russia has to accept Ukraine leaving the Russian sphere of influence and joining the EU bloc. Considering that Putin seemingly doesn't even grasp the existence of the EU bloc - and equating 'western' with 'US-controlled' - that is impossible to reach an agreement on. It involves the Russian regime revising their world view to see Europe as more than a smorgasbord of kleptocratic opportunity and vassals to fight over with the old enemies from across the Atlantic. That is not going to happen.

I sadly don't see any peace agreement being reached until either or both sides have lost the ability to continue the war.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I know, I am just pointing out that 200 sorties not even over Ukraine is not some sort of demonstration of Russian air dominance.

Additionally, I would not be the least bit surprised if this number of sorties by Russia has been static over the whole conflict.

Literally all that was provided is some more precise information than we have had in the past about what’s going on in the air, with the USDODs analysis being unchanged: Ukraine is effectively contesting its airspace, and Russia has failed to achieve air superiority.

Sorry, I was more commenting on the lack of Ukrainians rather than the dominance of Russians.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

the popes toes posted:

I think we saw earler some kit that was fired remotely? So the fire team doesn't have to necessarily be at the release site.

There's at least 2 guys in the woods. Shortly before the ATGM hits the tank above the firing point someone also seems to shoot something (maybe it misses).
Also when the tank return fire, you can see a bit down from the area where the shell hits someone is firing probably an RPG and the tank seems to take a hit or a near miss or an ineffective hit.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ataxerxes posted:

Indeed. Through my time in the FDF way back the mentality was in a way that a war was super unlikely (in 2002) but if it ever broke out it would be apocalyptic for Finland. And that most of us would be dead very soon. And now, watching how the Russians are doing in Ukraine it makes me feel anxious, relieved and stupid at the same time.

It is a weird feeling isn't it? They were the big bad Russian wave that doesn't care for losses, the next wave comes after the last one is done with. And they keep coming until we lose the ground and run out of bodies to throw at it, or they grow bored of trying. Retreating or surrendering was death, and the civilian life, and the entire Finnish society along with our own culture, would be over if they get through and occupy us. Like what happened with Vyborg and the areas lost in the WW2. They replace us, and send the population as dissidents to the Siberia to eke out a life of rural 19th century.

So like I said earlier, it is "What the gently caress are they doing?", "Hah get hosed" and "This was supposed to be the enemy that we try to keep at bay?" at the same time.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Seamonster posted:

So there are pre-trapped rounds in every ammo box? On the one hand that is one way to mess with the enemy should supplies be captured, on the other hand that sounds like a great way to blow up a lot of one's own new recruits and conscripts.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

ZombieLenin posted:

Honestly, I am really baffled.

USDOD says Russia sorties 200 times a day near Ukraine (compare that to the 2,000+ American and British sorties a day over Iraq in 2003), and the Ukrainians sortie 5 - 10 times a day and a bunch of people start saying “Russia has air superiority now! The Ukrainian Air Force is defeated!”

That’s not what any of what the USDOD release means, and if people would read the whole thing they would note USDOD said all the things I am saying:

1. Most of those 200 sorties are over friendly Russian or Belarusian air space, with planes firing missiles into Ukraine;
2. Ukraine’s integrated air defense, and the proper use of MANPADs has been highly effective;
3. The air space of Ukraine is still contested and this does not appear to be changing; and
4. Russia is exhibiting a strong unwillingness to use their air power over Ukraine.

The Russian airforce is poorly trained and maintained. They don't have money to give pilots enough hours in the air so they fly simple missions: two planes go up, bomb something, return home. That's the extent of their training an that's what they can perform on the battlefield.
- That's just me repeating what a military analyst said recently.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KitConstantine posted:

Also apparently the Russian military really didn't think they were going to war and were selling off the newer rations. So the soldiers get to starve, steal, or eat the old stuff
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1502369032888016898?t=k0E0a81ipXF7zuGep8MFWQ&s=19

At least Steve1989mre will have a lot of future content.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Orthanc6 posted:

So there are pre-trapped rounds in every ammo box? On the one hand that is one way to mess with the enemy should supplies be captured, on the other hand that sounds like a great way to blow up a lot of one's own new recruits and conscripts.

It depends on if they had time to retreat or they were caught by surprise, or did not care.

Yes, in principle everything is booby-trapped and you always approach these things as if they are.

If it is just an overtaken supply depot, then they most likely aren't because they were going towards the front line.

EDIT: For example the delivery car is just a truck. However, if they had time to do counter-measures, opening the door will for example pull a cord which is connected to a cup that is holding a grenade. The cup tumbles, and the grenade fires, and there is no way to basically open the door without setting that off.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 11, 2022

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Warmachine posted:

My first thought was that "at that range there's no way the AT team is getting out of there..." Though maybe I'm overestimating the ability of the Russian convoy to spot and shoot the shooter before the shooter gets out of sight again.

It could be a Ukrainian made Skif ATGM, you set it up on a tripod like a TOW but you can run it's command unit up to 50m away through a wire.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Der Kyhe posted:

It is a weird feeling isn't it? They were the big bad Russian wave that doesn't care for losses, the next wave comes after the last one is done with. And they keep coming until we lose the ground and run out of bodies to throw at it, or they grow bored of trying. Retreating or surrendering was death, and the civilian life, and the entire Finnish society along with our own culture, would be over if they get through and occupy us. Like what happened with Vyborg and the areas lost in the WW2. They replace us, and send the population as dissidents to the Siberia to eke out a life of rural 19th century.

So like I said earlier, it is "What the gently caress are they doing?", "Hah get hosed" and "This was supposed to be the enemy that we try to keep at bay?" at the same time.

If it's any consolation, this (even before the invasion) is probably the worst the Russian military has been. Decades of kleptocracy must have taken their toll on what probably used to be a competent army.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PederP posted:

The whole problem when talking about peace deals is that Russia isn't happy unless Ukraine accepts subjugation and incorporation in the Russian sphere of influence. Even if Ukraine cedes Donbass, Crimea and accepts not joining NATO - Russia will still insist on demilitarization, no EU membership and Russian influence on Ukrainian internal affairs. It isn't possible for Ukraine to have a meaningful peace deal where the conditions include ceasing to be a sovereign nation - that's just a surrender wrapped up as a peace deal.

Russia has to accept Ukraine leaving the Russian sphere of influence and joining the EU bloc. Considering that Putin seemingly doesn't even grasp the existence of the EU bloc - and equating 'western' with 'US-controlled' - that is impossible to reach an agreement on. It involves the Russian regime revising their world view to see Europe as more than a smorgasbord of kleptocratic opportunity and vassals to fight over with the old enemies from across the Atlantic. That is not going to happen.

I sadly don't see any peace agreement being reached until either or both sides have lost the ability to continue the war.

Same. My money is on Russia being the loser at this point. Ukraine can outlast them.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

BoldFace posted:

Hot drat. I'd be wayyyyy too scared to ambush a column like that. How do you even get out of there alive. Like cool you probably have a K/D ratio of 10/1 but this isn't a game, you're not going to respawn.

I'm really impressed at the level of.. courage? Ukrainian soldiers are showing

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

uXs posted:

If it's any consolation, this (even before the invasion) is probably the worst the Russian military has been. Decades of kleptocracy must have taken their toll on what probably used to be a competent army.

I have no doubt it was a competent army capable of challenging NATO—in 1989.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yeah that seems like a good example of how to not ambush a tank group? Also the close up/weird angle explosions don't really seem to match the overview shot of the battle.

Belteshazzar
Oct 4, 2004

我が生涯に
一片の悔い無し

ummel posted:

:nms: because it's pretty disturbing, even if fake, but Ukraine's propaganda machine is rolling

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1502366157675941889

Holy :lol: this reply
https://twitter.com/Green_Paraclete/status/1502377233574416389

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/radiokharkiv/status/1502205750428454912

Local business in Dnipro advertises metal saw discs the proper way

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Orthanc6 posted:

Yeah you include a couple of rounds that have TNT instead of gunpowder, the idea is that the explosive force will exceed the gun’s limits and burst the barrel or something. The US did it in Vietnam and it caused enough problems that VC forces didn’t trust the weapons they were being given.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

KingColliwog posted:

Hot drat. I'd be wayyyyy too scared to ambush a column like that. How do you even get out of there alive. Like cool you probably have a K/D ratio of 10/1 but this isn't a game, you're not going to respawn.

I'm really impressed at the level of.. courage? Ukrainian soldiers are showing

They’re going to be denazified genocided anyway so they might as well take a few with them.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

uXs posted:

Well, I am not the one to complain but it is such an ....anticlimactic. OK so if Putin does not go away and they somehow build up for the Next One, they still aren't the USSR we learned to fear and respect. They are just one rear end in a top hat neighbor with nukes. And since that nuke-thing should be covered by France for EU in case Nato is a chickenhawk that does not want us, they are just appalling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

TheRat posted:

Yeah that seems like a good example of how to not ambush a tank group? Also the close up/weird angle explosions don't really seem to match the overview shot of the battle.

It's a propaganda supercut equivalent to the nad-juicing videos that middle eastern extremists pump out on the regular which is obnoxious because it doesn't let you piece together a lot of how it actually went down

But it looked like "popped a tank at extremely close range, shot up the panic deployment, skedaddled or died"