Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a-k6eaT-jQ

the first minute of talking like an internet person that got caught being an abuser for a haha sike joke was pretty gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/dbAfKFl.mp4

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Bottom Liner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a-k6eaT-jQ

the first minute of talking like an internet person that got caught being an abuser for a haha sike joke was pretty gross

Oh fuckin ew.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

he was named twice already in this conversation and the youtube channel of the linked video is just his name.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ANYWAY

Looks like Elzra is getting in on the boss battlers: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elzra/monster-pit
And Ryan Laukat is a lent away from a standalone sequel to Sleeping Gods: https://gamefound.com/projects/draft/k5jf8ffw634mqqq9d0dxa445814

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I've been turned off Elzra games since my Catacombs box arrived with a huge hole in it that even punctured the plastic inserts like it had been stabbed during transit. When I emailed about possible replacements I just never heard back. No parts are damaged so it's not the end of the world but it's made me really wary of their customer service if there was a more notable problem.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Redundant posted:

I've been turned off Elzra games since my Catacombs box arrived with a huge hole in it that even punctured the plastic inserts like it had been stabbed during transit. When I emailed about possible replacements I just never heard back. No parts are damaged so it's not the end of the world but it's made me really wary of their customer service if there was a more notable problem.

Huh, weird. I had a far smaller problem (one sheet with a tear through two stickers) and they sent me a replacement no problem.

I think all of Elzra is just the one guy, though, so maybe it got lost somewhere.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hamlet knows the exact kinda words that turn me on - metal coins

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyboards/hamlet-the-village-building-game

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

gschmidl posted:

Huh, weird. I had a far smaller problem (one sheet with a tear through two stickers) and they sent me a replacement no problem.

I think all of Elzra is just the one guy, though, so maybe it got lost somewhere.
I also put it down to the difference in price or shipping a small envelope of components compared to shipping an entire box again.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I mean.... I got a replacement box for the SUSD version of Don't Get Got pretty easily out of the UK to Australia mid-Pandemic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Hamlet knows the exact kinda words that turn me on - metal coins

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyboards/hamlet-the-village-building-game

Those are the worst meeples I’ve seen. Why even use the standard silhouette if you’re just going to draw something completely different over it.

Infinitum posted:

I mean.... I got a replacement box for the SUSD version of Don't Get Got pretty easily out of the UK to Australia mid-Pandemic.

Mid-pandemic is a 2 year time frame now and things have changed a lot throughout. It is currently cheaper for me to fly round trip to Australia and hand mail my backers their rewards in-country than shipping them from here.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 9, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I really like those meeples. I don't think I'd enjoy Hamlet, but I think the meeples are super cute.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Meeple design had gotten really good these past few years. Sure the shape is the same but they've gotten a lot better at painting them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The best meeples are non-art and easily identifiable shapes. Art on meeples is tough because you have to make it match the silhouette really well to look good. Dinosaur Island did that well for example. The worst meeples are the ones with elaborate art on a bad silhouette. Those Hamlet workers are like a weird mash up of the two bad problems. The art doesn't match the silhouette and just looks off instead of clever. If you're going to do custom printed meeple art then just make custom shapes too, which is what most do. The donkeys there are fine, but they don't have the legs of the shape doing one thing and the legs of the art doing another. I would 100% prefer blanks over those goofy looking things.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think the meeples look cute and add to the game :shrug:
They also just unlocked unique art for each one.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you backed Western/Eastern Empires it sounds like their team got hit hard by covid, which explains their radio silence, and they'll be sending out any missed packages shortly.

I know I've been waiting for Western for a while now - and it was weird to see some Aussies saying they already had their copies

And now to organise a 9 player game day :suicide:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I got my copy of Long Shot: The Dice Game last week and it’s a very solid package. Had a great time trying it with my wife and I can’t wait to try it with an even larger crowd.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The MSRP for Frosthaven is $250

Which is $350 aud.
Which means they'll have it out for $400aud.

:laffo:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

good. no one needs that much cardboard.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

Which is $350 aud.

:smuggo:

e:

Thing on the top is because the insert doesn't fit in the box :wtc: - glad I didn't order one.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 11, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

good. no one needs that much cardboard.

I have ordered 200 copies of Frosthaven to offset this post

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Infinitum posted:

I have ordered 200 copies of Frosthaven to offset this post

Cardboard offset credits

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

Which is $350 aud.

How much did us Aussie posters pay for it? I don't remember it was so long ago

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

bowmore posted:

How much did us Aussie posters pay for it? I don't remember it was so long ago

Not including postage it would have been around AUD155 at the end of the campaign in May 2020 or AUD125 when the pledge manager closed in February 2021.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cyberia posted:

Not including postage it would have been around AUD155 at the end of the campaign in May 2020 or AUD125 when the pledge manager closed in February 2021.
How much did we pay for postage or has that not even happened yet?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bowmore posted:

How much did we pay for postage or has that not even happened yet?

I paid 37 USD in June 2020 but that included some add-ons.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I paid 37 USD in June 2020 but that included some add-ons.

I paid USD27 (roughly AUD35) for shipping of a base game pledge in March 2021.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ok sweet, so I must have paid

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Solkanar512 posted:

I got my copy of Long Shot: The Dice Game last week and it’s a very solid package. Had a great time trying it with my wife and I can’t wait to try it with an even larger crowd.

It's really fun! And a nice small box that it's easy to take places. Played it with a group and we had people yelling "COME ON NUMBER FOUR GET UP THERE YA BASTARD" like they were at the races.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Does anyone know how shipping prices in general are looking right now and in the near future? because it feels like they are just getting worse and worse...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My Frosthaven pledge to Aus breaks down as:
$100 usd for base game (lol)
$50 usd for addons
$27 usd for shipping
$14 usd for tax

CODChimera posted:

Does anyone know how shipping prices in general are looking right now and in the near future? because it feels like they are just getting worse and worse...

Shipping is 100% hosed.

An envelope from the US to Australia was like $50aud
I am waiting on some Dice from the UK, and they can't source shipping at a reasonable cost to them. So even though mine was meant to ship out like 2 months ago it's just sitting there..

It's not going to get better for a while, and Cold War 2 is probably going to gently caress things further

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

CODChimera posted:

Larger companies like mine that can afford it are buying/starting their own ocean carriers and trucking companies because the costs are out of control and will continue to be insane. That’s not a short term play. These companies are planning for the prices and shortage to be permanent.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
When Bee Lives shipped in 2019 I spent about $3 per game in Ocean freight to get it from China. Quotes right now for me to get The Red Burnoose here's which is of a similar size, is $18 per game in Ocean freight. I had to raise the price on the game to help cover it and I still didn't really raise it enough though I didn't think people would back at a higher price point. Board game prices need to go up, we publishers can just eat this cost increase but people aren't use to paying more for board games that aren't some behemoth of miniatures.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I have a few things from companies that were waiting to see if they could get better shipping prices and then Russia invaded Ukraine, woops. Skyrocketing fuel prices aren't helping things, I'm sure. I honestly wouldn't mind kicking in some more money for kickstarters I backed back when shipping prices were sane but are just fulfilling now, but that's probably a PR non-starter.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

CODChimera posted:

On Monster Care Squad we earmarked nearly $40 per international book for shipping and still ended up nearly $8000 over our shipping estimates. We'll be fine, but yeah shipping is bonkers screwed right now. Anyone doing international shipping from the US is feeling it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Factory Funner and Ghosts of Christmas have shown up...
... at retailers (instead of my mailbox) selling for less than it cost me to pledge for them :goleft:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The Eyes Have It posted:

Factory Funner and Ghosts of Christmas have shown up...
... at retailers (instead of my mailbox) selling for less than it cost me to pledge for them :goleft:

That’s KS for ya.

Another cautionary tale. I got my Massive Darkness 2 pledge and am realizing even if I like it, supposedly will not be able to expand it much because 95% of gameplay was KS Exclusive.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
You know, that makes sense to happen in the context of "you're supporting a creator in exchange for not just the reward, but also for getting to see the creation process"

But that's not how tabletop game kickstarters work. Most are just straight up pre orders really. In that context, getting rewards AFTER retail (& spending more on them to boot) is really not a very good feeling.

E: sucks about your massive darkness situation

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 12, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It all depends on the company. CMON uses that KS exclusive marketing focus to drive FOMO and backers. Others are infamous for delivering to retail earlier and cheaper. Sometimes it really does work out in the backers favor like Gloomhaven.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
While retailers charge less on average, I find that backing the KS means you actually get the game, even if it might be after a retailer or two, and waiting for retail brings no such guarantees. Some stuff is sold out within a couple days or even before it arrives, and it could be years before a print run, if at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

malkav11 posted:

While retailers charge less on average, I find that backing the KS means you actually get the game, even if it might be after a retailer or two, and waiting for retail brings no such guarantees. Some stuff is sold out within a couple days or even before it arrives, and it could be years before a print run, if at all.

That's how I treat Kickstarter. I back games that make me think "I'm getting this no matter what."