Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo that Punisher ending is so fuckin bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
more info on defenders

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1502028278823100421?t=d2ycITLbX7H7GAqN_s7CdQ&s=19

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

"I'm saying what's probably a final goodbye to a lot of stuff from the past ten years with this one" - hope this doesn't mean he's wrapping up his Marvel work

Who's the woman between Iceman and Hulk? I've seen that character before, but I'm blanking

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

FoneBone posted:

"I'm saying what's probably a final goodbye to a lot of stuff from the past ten years with this one" - hope this doesn't mean he's wrapping up his Marvel work

Who's the woman between Iceman and Hulk? I've seen that character before, but I'm blanking

Red guardian

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Al Ewing had a good run, if this is it. I believe all of his runs, not just most, all of his runs from the past few years have been spectacular, astonishing, amazing, and uncanny. If this is it though, I'm sad that we're most likely never going to see Morinus again or explore Quill's enlightenment powers.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bobkatt013 posted:

Red guardian
Specifically this one (aka Starlight) who primarily appeared in the 1970s run of the Defenders, though Mark Gruenwald and Kurt Busiek dug her out of obscurity over the years as well. She was last seen getting killed in 2010's "Darkstar and the Winter Guard", which feels like some sort of intentional/unintentional commentary on something, given that out of the Soviet/Russian superheroes there's been three Darkstars, a couple of Ursa Majors, seven or eight Red Guardians and literally a dozen Crimson Dynamos. It would take a lot of digging to figure out if this was an intentional parallel to the retcons/plotlines that have resulted in a bunch of Captains America, some sort of commentary on the loss of identity in a communist/former-Communist-but-people-forget-somehow nation, or my personal theory: writers keep on assuming they're D-Listers and it's fine to kill them off in stories and then people forgot they were dead next time they show up, so someone went in and paved over that by explaining how people keep on taking up the mantle.

I feel that's definitely the case in least a few instances, as there's a throwaway line in Jeph Loeb's Hulk about how the Avengers had heard Darkstar (I) and Red Guardian (VI) were dead, but now they're suspiciously back (or replaced), something they'll have to figure out later, for now there's a star-studded murder mystery to solve! Left uncommented-on was the fact that it was also the debut of Crimson Dynamo (XI), after Crimson Dynamo X disappeared after a single appearance in the Knauf Iron Man run. (CM X was later killed by the Punisher. The Winter Guard spin-off one-shot and follow-up mini-series that killed off Starlight also killed off Crimson Dynamo XII and Darkstar II, because why not?)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I did a mini dive into Darkstar after she beefed it in Morrison’s X-Men and she does seem pretty hard to perma kill since she has an additional body hanging out in the Darkforce dimension as well apparently.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Ewing seems pretty committed to X-Men: Red for the semi-long-term so I would guess that what he's saying goodbye to is just his long kind of metaphysical thread that runs through Defenders, Ultimates, Loki, etc..

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1502403147871961091?s=20&t=pSP_h58U08PS9M5OKIlnLA

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Noto on art, sounds like a good time.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Was Jessica a SHIELD agent at some point?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

cant cook creole bream posted:

Was Jessica a SHIELD agent at some point?

I think there was a What If about that

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

drrockso20 posted:

There was an Alias What-If focusing on that actually

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I haven't read a Gail Simone comic since her Suicide Squad, is her stuff still unabashedly extremely horny?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Simone's Domino books were loving incredible and also fairly horny (the art contributed to that.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

Simone's Domino books were loving incredible and also fairly horny (the art contributed to that.)

Which is funny because David Baldeon also drew the best non-costume outfit for Domino in history:

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 13, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
all marvel women who have only ever been in spandex should get non-horny outfits

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
But only occasionally.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cloks posted:

all marvel women who have only ever been in spandex should get non-horny outfits

Marvel Sweatpants Special.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

drrockso20 posted:

not a very good comic though, I think literally half the issue was just reused Gaydos art from Alias

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Barry Convex posted:

not a very good comic though, I think literally half the issue was just reused Gaydos art from Alias

And half was just Bendis in-comic explaining Jessica's whole deal. As in, Bendis was a character providing exposition.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Barry Convex posted:

Seven of the twenty-three pages in the comic are a recap of Jessica Jones's origin/deal from the Alias series. Of those seven, four are Michael Gaydos recreating a condensed version of an issue-length flashback originally drawn by Mark Bagley, and then three are reused/rearranged art from Alias.

Yvonmukluk posted:

And half was just Bendis in-comic explaining Jessica's whole deal. As in, Bendis was a character providing exposition.
Bendis (or a person/Watcher in a diner who looks like Bendis) talking about Jessica Jones to a person/Watcher who looks like Michael Gaydos about how things might have gone differently if Jessica Jones had said yes to Nick Fury's recruitment pitch after she was free of Kilgrave's control.

This particular comic was part of the first wave of "What If?" one-shots Marvel started doing on a more or less annual basis in 2004, after kind of killing the What If? concept in the mid 1990s. For whatever reason they decided to switch up narrator for them, so the narrators were:

What If Karen Page Had Lived? - Bendis in a diner, talking to Alex Maleev
What If General Ross Had Become the Hulk? - Uatu
What if Jessica Jones Had Joined the Avengers? - Bendis in a diner, talking to Michael Gaydos
What If Magneto and Professor X Had Formed the X-Men Together? - Uatu
What if Dr Doom Had Become the Thing? - Not named or shown
What if Aunt May Had Died Instead of Uncle Ben? - Two guys in a comic shop in the 'real world', one of them wearing a Watcher t-shirt

The next round of What Ifs in 2005 were all framed by a nerd posting speculative fiction on a message board, then 2007's didn't feature any sort of omniscient narrator at all. The two with Uatu were written by Peter David and Chris Claremont, while the newer ones mentioned were by Bendis, Karl Kesel, Ed Brubaker, Mike Carey, Greg Pak, Tony Bedard, Rick Veitch(??), Daniel Way, Robert Kirkman, David Hine, Rick Remender, Jeff Parker, etc. so it's possible there were just a bunch of newer writers who wanted to skip the Uatu stuff, or maybe there was a nudge in that direction that David/Claremont wanted to/were able to ignore.

This isn't to say What If Jessica Jones was a particularly great read, but I also don't really love What If stories in general.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of What If I've been catching up on comics from the past few weeks and man that Miles Morales What If really sucked, huh? I mean, the whole concept is supposed to be what if character did X instead of Y at this point in the main story but they just did a mediocre Elseworld and called it a What If.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The What If? Civil War had Uatu, but it was a homage to What if? Elektra Lived, with him narrating to Tony how things might have been different at Steve's grave.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
What If can be fun but too many of them end up being depressing "everyone dies" situations to act as a smarmy "here's why things happened the way they did in canon cause the alternative would have been worse now shut up"

Its one of those things that DC's Elseworlds comics were slightly better at avoiding

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What would be a good place to sort of get a wrap up on the Ultimate line in the 00s?

I remember vaguely that it was like some hard-core edgy 00s dark and gritty poo poo. Including

- Wolverine murdering a kid who's mutant power was to uncontrollably dissolve anyone within 500 feet
- Reed Richard's banging Sue's mom
- Cap'n America as mostly racist
- ant man beating the absolute poo poo out of his gf
- Reed Richard's going hard-core fascist tyrant
- Wanda and Max actually banging and caught on tape
- everything being sort of but not really like the main comics, Ga Lak Tus was a world devouring fleet of robot ships

And so one. I can't even remember if any of the series actually got an ending or they just stopped publishing them at certain points.

I can't think of anything good that came from it aside from Miles Morales.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 14, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Don't forget Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's twincest or the Blob eating the Wasp.

Jeph Loeb might be kind of a hack.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

What are you looking for here? A greatest hits, or just how it wrapped up? The answer to the latter is Ultimate End, which was a Secret Wars tie in. You may also want to read Hickman's Ultimate Comics: Ultimates, which showcases the Maker, the only other (?) Ultimate character who jumped over to 616. Like everything Hickman has done, it's great.

Miles was the only good thing to "come out" of the Ultimate line, but huge chunks of Ultimate Spider-Man were very, very good.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Boxman posted:

What are you looking for here? A greatest hits, or just how it wrapped up? The answer to the latter is Ultimate End, which was a Secret Wars tie in. You may also want to read Hickman's Ultimate Comics: Ultimates, which showcases the Maker, the only other (?) Ultimate character who jumped over to 616. Like everything Hickman has done, it's great.

Miles was the only good thing to "come out" of the Ultimate line, but huge chunks of Ultimate Spider-Man were very, very good.

More like a "what the gently caress happened here?" breakdown of the 15 years of print, like maybe a blog article or a longform podcast/YT video that goes hard into how it all shook out from both the writing and editorial angles.

I went 17 years without getting into comics, then having a insane comic-head friend got me somewhat aware of the scene, to the level of Marvel vs DC and all the "no one stays dead" stuff. Ultimate hit right when it was easy for me to start reading and not have to worry about 50+ years of continuity.

Even with all that I was kind of aware of The Ultimates being a little....weird, especially with all the domestic abuse, incest, and the whole "A stands for France?!" 2000s peak pop culture politics. I kind of drifted off as Ultimate got (predictably) convoluted with crossovers and tie-ins and just seemed to being looking for the next edgy angle to go with. Then I see that the Ultimate titles are getting their own re-launch then I was like "gently caress this is too complicated"

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Sam Jackson as Nick Fury also started in the Ultimates.

Right now and since Secret Wars 7 years ago, all series happen in the main Marvel universe (unless there's some weird junk I'm forgetting). There was another Marvel series called Ultimates, by Ewing, that happened right after Secret Wars, but it takes place in the main Marvel universe and I have no idea why it is called Ultimates.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StumblyWumbly posted:

Sam Jackson as Nick Fury also started in the Ultimates.

But worth noting that Ult Nick Fury debuted before that and was not drawn as SLJ.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

StumblyWumbly posted:

Secret Wars 7 years ago,

:negative:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

But worth noting that Ult Nick Fury debuted before that and was not drawn as SLJ.

Doesn't he start getting drawn as Sam Jackson almost immediately though? Like only a couple appearances where he doesn't look like that. He's definitely drawn as Jackson in the first issue of The Ultimates.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Skwirl posted:

Doesn't he start getting drawn as Sam Jackson almost immediately though? Like only a couple appearances where he doesn't look like that. He's definitely drawn as Jackson in the first issue of The Ultimates.

He's 100% Samuel L. Jackson from the jump as I remember it, or if not from day one than day two.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

StumblyWumbly posted:

There was another Marvel series called Ultimates, by Ewing, that happened right after Secret Wars, but it takes place in the main Marvel universe and I have no idea why it is called Ultimates.

What else are you going to call a team with Galactus the Lifebringer on it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rantmo posted:

He's 100% Samuel L. Jackson from the jump as I remember it, or if not from day one than day two.

He has an appearance in Ultimate Team Up and a few issues of Ultimate XMen a few months before Ultimates.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I believe there are several first appearances of Ultimate versions of character (Fury, FF, Daredevil) in Ultimate Team-Up that do not match their later appearances.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ultimate Team-Up was an attempt to flesh out the Ultimate universe by introducing a bunch of characters really quickly that were barely distinct from their 616 versions. It should really just be accepted as non-canon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah well he was still in Ult X-Men and was not based on SLJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Endless Mike posted:

Ultimate Team-Up was an attempt to flesh out the Ultimate universe by introducing a bunch of characters really quickly that were barely distinct from their 616 versions. It should really just be accepted as non-canon.

Wasn’t there a Spider-Man/Bruce Lee team-up?