Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Holy cow you guys buy a lot of records

ED: nice snipe.

I'm having difficulty believing it but the vinyl looks what might be a G+. It sounds to me like Buddah records was an unfortunate part of our history, not sure. There was so much awful music on the radio in those days.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I've tried some random Buddah Records singles once upon a time, and remember nothing about the songs but I did like the label art and their generic sleeve art so???

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

I've tried some random Buddah Records singles once upon a time, and remember nothing about the songs but I did like the label art and their generic sleeve art so???

I think I have a copy of Captain Beefhearts 'Safe As Milk' on the Buddha or Buddah label. I hope I'm talking about the same label.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay. Looking them up I see that the label I thought was exclusively bubblegum actually did Captain Beefheart and Gladys Knight. And Melanie. I'm sorry, in that case I have some Buddah records already. My apologies. I heard a lot of bubblegum pop growing up, I am actually that old.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 12, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Buddha did genesis in the US too, right?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I've only had terrible luck with Buddha singles so I think it's safe to say their artists generally didn't live up to the cool label.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

For some reason I thought that Buddha records had a pumpkin in their design but after flipping through records and finally googling it I realized that I was thinking of Barking Pumpkins Records, a label created by Zappa. So I wasn't completely off the mark at least. This design is fantastic.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
This is one of the cooler labels I've come across. I love it.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

CPL593H posted:

This is one of the cooler labels I've come across. I love it.

I dig it. Clean and memorable design..

This is one of my favorites.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Buddy accidentally bought an extra copy and gave it to me, here's a download.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CaptainBeefart posted:

But you were right about Captain Beefheart at any rate. My favorite is probably the Virgin that Roger Dean designed.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Got an old Technics SL-BD20D that has problems that I have no interest in trying to fix. Recommendations for a new turntable? I don't use it a whole ton....so I'm not looking for something too high end. Preferably something in the <$500 range. Anyone have any thoughts on the Orbit Special Turntables? Maybe the Audio-Technica AT-LPW40WN? I definitely have an affinity for turntables with a wooden base....as I find them more aesthetically pleasing.

Also....pre-amp does not matter at this point. For the time being....it'll be paired with a set of Klipsch Sixes which has an internal phono preamp.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 12, 2022

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

BigFactory posted:

Buddha did genesis in the US too, right?

Nah that's Charisma.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Got an old Technics SL-BD20D that has problems that I have no interest in trying to fix. Recommendations for a new turntable? I don't use it a whole ton....so I'm not looking for something too high end. Preferably something in the <$500 range. Anyone have any thoughts on the Orbit Special Turntables? Maybe the Audio-Technica AT-LPW40WN? I definitely have an affinity for turntables with a wooden base....as I find them more aesthetically pleasing.

Also....pre-amp does not matter at this point. For the time being....it'll be paired with a set of Klipsch Sixes which has an internal phono preamp.

I have a Fluance RT82 I'm very happy with. You can spend between $300 and $500 in the range that runs from the RT82 to the RT85, and there are various wood finish options. Could be worth checking out.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

McCoy Pauley posted:

You can spend between $300 and $500 in the range that runs from the RT82 to the RT85, and there are various wood finish options. Could be worth checking out.

Seconded.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

McCoy Pauley posted:

I have a Fluance RT82 I'm very happy with. You can spend between $300 and $500 in the range that runs from the RT82 to the RT85, and there are various wood finish options. Could be worth checking out.

I have seen the Fluance turntables recommended as well. The RT82 certainly fits what I am looking for. Unless there is another dissenting opinion...I might just go with this. Reviews are solid.....and it's a pretty looking turntable. Will look good on or off.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Finally I have more room to store records and now I have three records on the way. :hellyeah:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CaptainBeefart posted:

Apparently that was also a good find. I just bought it on a whim because it's a monster novelty song and the label looked cool.

caligulamprey posted:

Finally I have more room to store records and now I have three records on the way. :hellyeah:

You definitely put that in the front to gently caress with me.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I'm in a situation where I have had to spend the last two nights going over my old photos from 2008-2012, getting rid of the chaff, etc. I got misty for those olde record store hauls of the past. Used to go to the Twin Cities and Madison and hit the record shops and get a lot of stuff for not a lot of money. On the cusp of my 40th birthday this coming week, here's a few shots from when my friend and I went to Roadrunner Records in Minneapolis 14 years ago for my 26th birthday.

I'll post some new photos of new records this weekend

Edit: i imagine some of them are definitely doubles

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Happy birthday, fellow old.

And man, do I miss crate digging like that back in the old days. Walking away with a stack of VG records of Huey Lewis or The Cars at three bucks a pop. Now anything used below $10 is thrashed up garbage.

:corsair:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

::me smashing through the skylight like Batman::

Oh poo poo are we talking about how records are way too expensive now?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Well, I counted because I was curious. 40 Res 12"s, 11 7"s. Sorted alphabetically 'cause I don't wanna pull up a list every time I pull out Deep Cut #3 of 8
that were released in a single year.

Only one double, though!

CPL593H posted:

You definitely put that in the front to gently caress with me.
If I was actually loving with you I would have posted both copies I own. :grin:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 12, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

My records are all lovelessly stuff inside a closet :smith:

I moved in late 2020 and the new place has significantly less wall space, so I don't really have a better spot to put them right now. I still need to get bookshelf speakers for my turntable. I don't like the setup when connected to my receiver.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

petit choux posted:

I'm having difficulty believing it but the vinyl looks what might be a G+. It sounds to me like Buddah records was an unfortunate part of our history, not sure. There was so much awful music on the radio in those days.

I just ordered this fucker because of the cover alone

The best priced decent copy on discogs was listed by someone who appears to take vinyl grading seriously so I had to look at his store and buy a bunch more records sigh

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Can someone else help me parse this? My reading of it is 22 records for $65 but I don't believe it. Is this another Garth Brooks incident??

https://indianrecordsinc.com/shop/original-archive-collection-23-lp-records/

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CaptainBeefart posted:

Can someone else help me parse this? My reading of it is 22 records for $65 but I don't believe it. Is this another Garth Brooks incident??

https://indianrecordsinc.com/shop/original-archive-collection-23-lp-records/

It says they're original pressings not reissues so I'm guessing someone found old warehouse stock I'm also thinking maybe they're sealing them so cheap because of their cultural significance.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I hit my friend up before the Sparks show saying I was beelining straight for the rail as soon as I got in and if they could pick me up some vinyl on their way inside and he was empty-handed after the show 'cause the record was $30. I said pick me up a record, dude, your penny-pinching isn't mine. :argh:

Got a dope shot of Ron though:

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

CPL593H posted:

It says they're original pressings not reissues so I'm guessing someone found old warehouse stock I'm also thinking maybe they're sealing them so cheap because of their cultural significance.

I ended up contacting my local record store buddy and he said that he actually has some of them in stock and they sell for pretty cheap. So still a deal if anyone is interested. I ordered one myself.

starksfergie
Jul 24, 2007

I'm just content to relax and drown within myself

caligulamprey posted:

I hit my friend up before the Sparks show saying I was beelining straight for the rail as soon as I got in and if they could pick me up some vinyl on their way inside and he was empty-handed after the show 'cause the record was $30. I said pick me up a record, dude, your penny-pinching isn't mine. :argh:

Got a dope shot of Ron though:

Thanks for that shot, was this the Crystal Ballroom show from Sunday night? Because, drat that was a fantastic show, great audience and even sound was great (at a notoriously bad sounding venue), but Sparks were so, so good :)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I've seen some great sounding shows at the Crystal but it definitely varies band to band. I'm more annoyed at the loving barrier where my iPhone 5c's photos start looking like straight doodoo. The Wonder's my favorite spot in town, hands down. So good for pics:

Now The Hawthorne is loving trash and I've seen comedy shows that sounded bad there, but all my favorite Metal bands play there. Just skipped out on Imperial Triumphant. :argh:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I get what I deserve for ordering a record through Amazon, but I've never had them ship it in just a plastic bag before. Damaged all four corners pretty badly. No more doing that, no matter how good of deal I think I'm getting.

On the otherhand, I got the Donkey Kong Country soundtrack from Light in the Attic and it is an absolute dream.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Schremp Howard posted:

On the otherhand, I got the Donkey Kong Country soundtrack from Light in the Attic and it is an absolute dream.

Hell yeah, I just ordered a copy too.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

just received my copy of the Com Truise reissue from Newbury. Looking forward to spinning that later.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

I rotated some records into storage and remembered that I've got every piece of vinyl that Break Machine ever released down there. Clearly it was time for them to reclaim their rightful place in the living room.

Oof, so catchy.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

steckles posted:

I rotated some records into storage and remembered that I've got every piece of vinyl that Break Machine ever released down there. Clearly it was time for them to reclaim their rightful place in the living room.

Oof, so catchy.

Holy loving cow!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my rt84 is good and they seem like a good company too

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/PMacoscair/status/1504060073747914756

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

At what point does stuff go from being old crap to "vintage" or "retro"?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Minutes after you sell it for peanuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

At what point does stuff go from being old crap to "vintage" or "retro"?

When it acquires an odor