Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

I'm just so loving tired of the Republicans slamming whatever they want into bills while they're in the minority, and the Democrats just saying "morning can be done" whether they're in the majority of minority.

Make the Republicans shut down the government during COVID and a crisis in the Ukraine. loving force their hand.

why would the Democrats do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the covid thread just had an article, 1/3 of the kids who’ve died from covid have died during just the last 2 months of omicron. ‘mild’ my rear end. we’ve almost matched the entire previous 24 months of kid casualties since the new year

biden is literally throwing thousands of children into the meatgrinder by insisting that schools remain open to keep his doners happy. that 99% stat represents an ongoing crime against humanity

what a loving monster

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
anyone who votes for a democrat, this year in particular, is a rube of the highest order

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Fly Molo posted:

the covid thread just had an article, 1/3 of the kids who’ve died from covid have died during just the last 2 months of omicron. ‘mild’ my rear end. we’ve almost matched the entire previous 24 months of kid casualties since the new year

biden is literally throwing thousands of children into the meatgrinder by insisting that schools remain open to keep his doners happy. that 99% stat represents an ongoing crime against humanity

what a loving monster

And they say biden has done nothing to reduce student loan debt

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Fly Molo posted:

what a loving monster

despite being the party of "believing science" the democrats have absolutely done the most harm in terms of covid policy

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Okay, it's clear that everyone here dislikes Biden and state that he hasn't done anything of not while in office. I'm curious though, why isn't he given some credit for reducing child poverty significantly. Now the elephant in the room is that he wasn't able to make it permanent, but he did try and the initial bill was passed that improved the lives of millions of people.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
man, I sure love trying, in politics, and other things,

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Okay, it's clear that everyone here dislikes Biden and state that he hasn't done anything of not while in office. I'm curious though, why isn't he given some credit for reducing child poverty significantly. Now the elephant in the room is that he wasn't able to make it permanent, but he did try and the initial bill was passed that improved the lives of millions of people.
it was temporary didnt actually lift anywhere near what they said it would and once again since it was temporary the poverty rate went right back up to what it was if not even worse now with all the economic problems getting worse

its debatable whether he tried very hard or even at all to get it passed (again)

HallelujahLee has issued a correction as of 02:29 on Mar 12, 2022

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Fly Molo posted:

what a loving monster

Could you link this, please?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

punk rebel ecks posted:

lmao

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

ex post facho posted:

man, I sure love trying, in politics, and other things,

I'll try to vote blue in this next election

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

punk rebel ecks posted:

Guess what happened immediately after the credit ended?

https://www.povertycenter.columbia.edu/news-internal/monthly-poverty-january-2022

quote:

The monthly child poverty rate increased from 12.1 percent in December 2021 to 17 percent in January 2022, the highest rate since the end of 2020. The 4.9 percentage point (41 percent) increase in poverty represents 3.7 million more children in poverty due to the expiration of the monthly Child Tax Credit payments. Latino and Black children experienced the largest percentage-point increases in poverty (7.1 percentage points and 5.9 percentage points, respectively).

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

we took the boot off your neck long enough for one choking gasp of air; what else do you want

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Fly Molo posted:

what a loving monster

Don't forget the dog killing thread mascot lmao

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ham Equity posted:

Could you link this, please?

absolutely.

that’s all blood that’s 100% on Biden’s hands. he certainly knew by early December that omicron was vaccine-evasive, highly contagious, and dangerous for kids. they didn’t close schools. they didn’t do lockdowns. they didn’t even pay people to stay home.

he insisted that schools would remain open, and he got his way. god knows how many millions of kids now have brain damage, heart and lung damage, dead family members and a huge pile of other damage. in the years to come, who knows how many children it’ll turn out he condemned to diabetes or long covid or worse by choosing this path.

but schools are open! covid is over :nutshot:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

HallelujahLee posted:

it was temporary didnt actually lift anywhere near what they said it would and once again since it was temporary the poverty rate went right back up to what it was if not even worse now with all the economic problems getting worse

its debatable whether he tried very hard or even at all to get it passed (again)

I've been trying to find the bolded on Google but could only find criticisms from chud leaning websites.

To be fair, the sites that support child poverty going down are poo poo like the economist and cnn.

Do you have a source saying that it didn't reduce poverty as much as people claimed?

Yeah I realize that, but he was blocked from continuing it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I can’t wait to vote green party to piss off every liberal scold I can

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

because you should get credit for what you actually do for people and not what you really really wish you did pinky promise

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've been trying to find the bolded on Google but could only find criticisms from chud leaning websites.

To be fair, the sites that support child poverty going down are poo poo like the economist and cnn.

Do you have a source saying that it didn't reduce poverty as much as people claimed?

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/27/1075299510/the-expanded-child-tax-credit-briefly-slashed-child-poverty-heres-what-else-it-d

its around 1/3 the way down

also i might be forgetting but i remember a study saying that a large part of this tax credit being effective was raising the minimum wage, and they had the study go back and remove that point after pretty much not doing jackshit to raise the wage.

HallelujahLee has issued a correction as of 02:51 on Mar 12, 2022

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

As usual, in spite of Democratic majorities in both houses of the legislature, and a Democratic president, Nothing Could Be Done.

"Nothing Could Be Done" emblazoned around a cartoon picture of a shrugging donkey should be the Democratic party logo.

Except more drilling, we can totally do more drilling. I mean, "Drill, baby, drill" was the Democrat's campaign promise in 2008 when Biden was on the ticket, after all.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

WorkerThread posted:

we took the boot off your neck long enough for one choking gasp of air; what else do you want

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Fly Molo posted:

absolutely.

that’s all blood that’s 100% on Biden’s hands. he certainly knew by early December that omicron was vaccine-evasive, highly contagious, and dangerous for kids. they didn’t close schools. they didn’t do lockdowns. they didn’t even pay people to stay home.

he insisted that schools would remain open, and he got his way. god knows how many millions of kids now have brain damage, heart and lung damage, dead family members and a huge pile of other damage. in the years to come, who knows how many children it’ll turn out he condemned to diabetes or long covid or worse by choosing this path.

safely!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Fly Molo posted:

absolutely.

yeah but he temporarily reduced child poverty for a few months so it was a worthwhile trade since you're only allowed to do one thing a year as president

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WorkerThread posted:

despite being the party of "believing science" the democrats have absolutely done the most harm in terms of covid policy

trump made ignoring covid gauche and fashy

biden normalized ignoring covid, all the smart columnists and the cdc are in agreement

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

500 good dogs posted:

yeah but he temporarily reduced child poverty for a few months so it was a worthwhile trade since you're only allowed to do one thing a year as president

true, but idk if killing all the kids is the best way to reduce child poverty :thunk:

i guess it technically is means-tested...

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

is every succ youth just a fat shithead nerd no one wants to hang out with?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fly Molo posted:

trump made ignoring covid gauche and fashy

biden normalized ignoring covid, all the smart columnists and the cdc are in agreement

I mean... Their COVID policies are functionally identical: get vaccinated, open 'er up.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Wait, couldn't Biden have used budget reconciliation for the child poverty tax credit?

I see. 30% is still major, but it's not the "cut child poverty by half!" that liberals keep claiming. Thanks for sharing.

HallelujahLee posted:

also i might be forgetting but i remember a study saying that a large part of this tax credit being effective was raising the minimum wage, and they had the study go back and remove that point after pretty much not doing jackshit to raise the wage.

To be fair if that was the case wouldn't child poverty remained stagnate instead of shooting back up once the tax credit ended? I mean minimum wage jobs are still high due to the "labor shortage".

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Judakel posted:

is every succ youth just a fat shithead nerd no one wants to hang out with?

https://twitter.com/santiagomayer_/status/1498775740380160001?s=20&t=S8RUYTTNx5MPW1LJQ-fKZA

it's all just grift

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

well that certainly is a factually accurate statement

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see. 30% is still major, but it's not the "cut child poverty by half!" that liberals keep claiming. Thanks for sharing.
some other relevant stuff.

https://www.peoplespolicyproject.org/2021/10/13/new-child-tax-credit-is-not-reaching-the-poorest-families/

quote:

Between August 12 and October 12, only 24,485 people managed to sign up through the Code For America non-filer website. Troublingly, 2 in 3 people who tried to sign up through the website failed to do so.

The prior CTC non-filer website, which was set up by Intuit, was primarily in use between June 14 and August 12. We do not know how many people signed up through it, but it was probably similar to the ~25,000 figure posted by Code for America.

When the first monthly CTC payment was made in July, the Treasury reported that 720,000 kids in non-filing tax units had been included because their parents had signed up for one of the three Economic Impact Payments (EIPs) paid out in 2020 and early 2021.

If we add the approximately 50,000 kids signed up through the non-filer websites, then we get 770,000 non-filing kids who are currently receiving the monthly CTC benefit. This is just 14 percent of the 5.5 million kids living in non-filing tax units.
https://morningconsult.com/2021/08/18/child-tax-credit-payments/

quote:

Parents living with children under 18 showed no increase in leftover income after paying household expenses in July compared with the average over the previous two months, despite the extra influx from the tax credit.

quote:

Policy and macro assessment: initial payments don’t move the needle

These survey results indicate that families spent the extra income from child tax credit payments rather than stashing it away, suggesting that the credit is fulfilling at least some of its objective: helping parents cover household expenses. However, in terms of reaching the families most in need of assistance, the effectiveness of the credit is murkier since the per-child provision resulted in households at the higher end of the eligible income range tending to receive larger sums than those at the lower end.
CTC did just enough good to remind people of what the democrats could deliver if they felt like it, but wasn't enough to improve the circumstances of the people that most needed it no matter what the other numbers that people cook up say.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

To be fair if that was the case wouldn't child poverty remained stagnate instead of shooting back up once the tax credit ended? I mean minimum wage jobs are still high due to the "labor shortage".
I think the rising inflation would have still caused poverty to rise, as wages are not keeping up with inflation.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

man i love to vote for pro-democracy candidates

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Saying good trouble is almost as lame as rest in power.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Wtf is this poo poo

material conditions?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/immaris/status/1502441211608526849

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011