Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My name means "Person from [country] with a weirdly shaped head"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Farmer Son of Potatoes

(Not sure about the potatoes)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Milo and POTUS posted:

Really want to know that name but understandable why you didn't post it

e: i know mandel is german for it

Its got to be Paloma Schmetterling-Farfalle.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
First Man of the White Sea and Burner of Charcoal

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hi Chad

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

First Man of the White Sea and Burner of Charcoal

Yes, I have heard the songs sung of your deeds

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hello Mr./Mrs. Kennedy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

spookykid posted:

Hello Mr./Mrs. Kennedy.

c7

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Kennedy means boar's head specifically and there are a few other Irish names that mean [animal]'s head.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think Kennedy means boar's head specifically and there are a few other Irish names that mean [animal]'s head.

Kennedy is probably "ugly head" or "helmet head", with the "ceann" part in Gaeilge meaning "head", but the only other Ken- name I can think of is Kennelly, which would probably translate as "wolf head". But the Anglicisation of our clan names was a big old mess so there's plenty of contention

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

So JFK was God-is-Gracious Son of Spearlord Hogshead?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

So JFK was God-is-Gracious Son of Spearlord Hogshead?

Yes. Also his name kinda translated to that as well

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Gotta admit, dude had a weird shaped head

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Especially towards the end there

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

Especially towards the end there
Dude, too soon

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I guess "helmet head" only goes so far

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Dude, too soon

Nah. If they had been too soon they would have hit the governor.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Hyperlynx posted:

I guess "helmet head" only goes so far

lol

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Today I learned that William Butler Yeats once kicked Aleister Crowley down a flight of stairs

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Phy posted:

Today I learned that William Butler Yeats once kicked Aleister Crowley down a flight of stairs

I mean, if you could...why wouldn't you?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Do what thou wilt

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brawnfire posted:

Do what thou wilt

Exactly. I like to think Crowley picked himself up and was like "can't even be mad at that, he got me"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Failed Imagineer posted:

Exactly. I like to think Crowley picked himself up and was like "can't even be mad at that, he got me"

:wrong: theres the universal rule addendum that says "except/only when its me"

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Phy posted:

https://twitter.com/barneyfarmer/status/1371804723737726977?t=gqOqoWL7kAYlbZtx4WFTdA&s=19

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm on Yeats' side.

But you lose, because weird lover Wilde is on mine.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Do what thou wilt

Very impressive magic on Yeats side to turn Crowley's signature phrase against him 4 years before it was dictated (allegedly :can:) to him.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
My wife & I are re-watching The Sopranos, and I can't believe I didn't catch this the first time we watched: Phil Leotardo is a closeted homosexual. During Vito's death scene he literally comes out of the closet.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lincoln posted:

My wife & I are re-watching The Sopranos, and I can't believe I didn't catch this the first time we watched: Phil Leotardo is a closeted homosexual. During Vito's death scene he literally comes out of the closet.

Also his name is Leotardo.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei GlÀser
Weird name for the Shah of Iran.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Brawnfire posted:

I'm on Yeats' side.

But you lose, because weird lover Wilde is on mine.

Boo!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Phy posted:

I remember hearing an interview with Yeats' son. Apparently his mother would send him in to his father's study to have a chat, and it was always extremely awkward, his father had zero clue how to hold a conversation with his own child.
Good poet, bad dad.
He kicked Crowley, so that tips the balance back in his favour.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Apparently it was some sort of full on wizard battle rather than just knocking some rear end in a top hat down? Not sure how to feel about that

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bill Hailey and the Comets.

And I'm pretty sure that's already been posted and I didn't actually get it that time I guess? IDK I have a fever and I'm reading "The Comet is Coming!"

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Pookah posted:

I remember hearing an interview with Yeats' son. Apparently his mother would send him in to his father's study to have a chat, and it was always extremely awkward, his father had zero clue how to hold a conversation with his own child.
Good poet, bad dad.
He kicked Crowley, so that tips the balance back in his favour.

It is fortunate that nowadays people can gently caress without issue

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wasn't Yeats a Blueshirt or at least Blueshirt adjacent?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wasn't Yeats a Blueshirt or at least Blueshirt adjacent?

Yeah, as an Irish nationalist who loved fruity occult symbolism, he was always gonna have a boner for fascist ideology

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

He also believed in ghosts because he had a dream where a weird looking ghost made faces at him in bed.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I had an autistic diagnosis a few years ago and another neurodivergent friend told me that she could tell right away, before my diagnosis, just based on the way I text. She says I have no understanding of "polite texting" as she called it. "For instance," she says. "You always end your texts with a period*."

So what? I says to her. That's not polite?

She says there's a subtext to it, that I clearly don't read, but others do. Which is why nobody else ends their texts or instant messages with a period.

And I said, What? What the gently caress are you talking about? Of course everyone ends their texts with periods. Otherwise there would be chaos and anarchy.

But then I checked and motherfuck my world is blown away. I am the only one out of like a dozen people I message that actually ends messages with a period. If there are multiple sentences in a text, they use punctuation, all but the last period. People think I'm autistic because I'm consistent with punctuation? How did I not even notice people do this? This is polite texting?!

*the big reveal here is that people will use punctuation if it's a question, or if they want to add exclamation points, but if it's a period, everyone just leaves the sentence to hang!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah that checks out