Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think that Fierstein's character was spelled Karl

(looks at hand)

Karl = gay
Carl = black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Data Graham posted:

I said it recently but yeah, homer's heart exploding in front of Mr. Burns I was like "wtf show is this becoming? *turns knob to the left*"

I feel like Homer's original name, Captain Wacky, should have clued you in to where the show was headed...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm thinking more it suddenly turns into The Day the Clown Cried with Krusty leading everyone into the chamber and begging for the end.

I'd prefer Cross of Iron because it would be much more inexplicable and probably closer to how the show might've ended in the older old days.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Bart would be the same age I am now…

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

I think that Fierstein's character was spelled Karl

The Simpsons will end when they run out of names for new characters.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'm really curious about the "and there's the box" lines. Are they making fun of their own tendency to point out the jokes? Or are they actually pointing out the jokes?

That’s what I was wondering too. I think it’s a half hearted atttempt at being self aware, like when Family Guy would acknowledge the cutaways.

Like all new Simpsons it’s done in a lazy, no-effort fashion though

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

pooch516 posted:

The Simpsons will end when they run out of names for new characters.

Looking forward to hit new character Qarl

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

I'm really curious about the "and there's the box" lines. Are they making fun of their own tendency to point out the jokes? Or are they actually pointing out the jokes?

I bet you she was reading the stage directions and nobody had the heart to tell her. Or to cut one of the lines she obviously had to go through a lot of pain to say.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I.C. posted:

Bart would be the same age I am now…

It blew my mind when I started my rewatch that Homer and Marge were 34, a year younger than I am

They've always been 40 to me for some reason

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Professor Shark posted:

It blew my mind when I started my rewatch that Homer and Marge were 34, a year younger than I am

They've always been 40 to me for some reason

The writers aged them up once they started getting older than them

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you're over thirty you're basically no longer human.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://screenrant.com/simpsons-season-33-mocked-freeze-frame-gag-tradition/

The Simpsons Season 33 Mocked One Of The Show’s Oldest Recurring Gags posted:

The Simpsons season 33 briefly saw Marge (and later Lisa) acknowledge the show's tendency to rely on blink-and-you'll-miss-it freeze-frame gags.

Although The Simpsons have always used freeze frame gags to get the joke count of each episode sky high, a season 33 episode was one of the first to acknowledge this fact. The Simpsons has always made a point of cramming as many jokes as possible into each episode. Whether it is by bending the rules of the show’s fictional universe, breaking the fourth wall, or hiding obscure jokes in plain sight for viewers to catch upon a re-watch, The Simpsons has one of the highest jokes-per-minute rates on television.

However, sometimes The Simpsons needs to use some pretty ancient comedy cliches to achieve this aim. While freeze frame gags, for example, are far from The Simpsons season 33’s biggest problem, they are a tradition that the series has relied on for decades. As such, it makes sense that a recent episode of the show saw the lead characters subtly acknowledge this trope.

In The Simpsons’ “Boyz N the Highlands” (season 33 episode 12), Lisa makes the most of Bart’s absence by treating herself to a weekend of being an only child. With Maggie in Patty and Selma’s care and Bart on a wilderness hike, Lisa renames herself Jules and imagines how she, Marge, and Homer would spend their time if she never had any siblings. This means playing board games like Suffragette Monopoly, a gag that prompts The Simpsons season 33 to note one of the show's most oft-used jokes — namely, its reliance on freeze frame humor.

Marge (and later, Lisa) say “and there’s the box” after mentioning various board games, prompting The Simpsons to pan across to the game’s box and display it for a few seconds, so viewers can read the extra gags inscribed on its surface. The joke mocked The Simpsons’ long-standing tendency to insert shots that gives viewers a chance to pause and read the extra jokes written on signs, packaging, and other surfaces. It’s a gag the series has always relied on since its inception, but this is one of the only times that The Simpsons underlined how weird it is that the characters stand in silence after pointing out writing to give viewers a chance to read it — a bit like how full of pregnant pauses live-action sitcoms are when their laugh tracks are removed.

By having both Marge and Lisa point to the boxes of their board games for no reason other than letting viewers read them, The Simpsons season 33 came within a hair’s breadth of breaking the fourth wall outright. The show tacitly acknowledged that many episodes use these shots to throw in extra jokes that aren’t worth more than a second of screen time, resulting in odd pauses that jar with the scene’s momentum. Lisa and Marge’s comment was not The Simpsons season 33’s most audacious moment of fourth-wall breaking, but it was another reminder that the series can call out its own reliance on old-fashioned television comedy cliches. With The Simpsons season 33’s reviews improving as the season wears on, this is a promising development from a show that has always been able to make fun of itself.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The joke is that they ruin the joke?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
That's loving stupid

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

The joke is on all of us for watching.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Having a character read the joke out loud for the audience is always a real knee slapper, so this must be at least twice as funny as that.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Having a character read the joke out loud for the audience is always a real knee slapper, so this must be at least twice as funny as that.

What if... WHAT IF...

They combined pointing out the joke with the Sideshow Bob rake gag?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how but most of this entire current season of Family Guy has been really good. Every episode has a solid story structure and they continually build upon jokes throughout the episode instead of being a bunch of lazy randomness like the show was for many years. A few years ago it's like they decided to start putting effort into it again and it's been gradually getting better. This is not a joke post - if you ever liked the show, you might like it again. If you never liked it, you still won't. But it's crazy to see them put out solid efforts in contrast to whatever the hell The Simpsons craps out.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Zombie Simpsons have gone on for so long that, on the balance, the Simpsons cannot be said to be a good show. There are more bad seasons than good ones, by a large margin. If zombie Family Guy averages out to being on the better side of watchable, then the effect could actually yield the opposite result.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The difference is that Family Guy has actually been cancelled before. They have reason to try.

The Simpsons can keep going no matter how bad it is because it's by and for people with literally no standards except to see familiar branding.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Mantis42 posted:

Zombie Simpsons have gone on for so long that, on the balance, the Simpsons cannot be said to be a good show. There are more bad seasons than good ones, by a large margin. If zombie Family Guy averages out to being on the better side of watchable, then the effect could actually yield the opposite result.

Except the early Simpsons seasons were revolutionary and among the best, sharpest comedy ever put on television, and had a massive impact on pop culture and warped the minds of thousands of impressionable children -- many of which post in this thread!

Family Guy was novel because it was unabashedly crude and cruel and on network television. South Park had already been doing the same thing for years but better and with a lot more wit and better writing, just on cable. At its best, Family Guy has always been solidly mediocre.

The Simpsons could run for another 40 years and be nothing but unwatchable garbage the entire time, and it still won't diminish the quality and cultural impact of early seasons. It really is two different shows, one that ran from 1989 to 1999 or so, and one from 1999 - the earth is swallowed by an expanding, dying sun.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I’m pretty deep into season 12 on this rewatch and getting scared because I’m not hating these episodes.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Over in another thread I mentioned that Chuck Lorre got his start on some children's cartoons of the 80s/90s. (Things like Toxic Crusaders and Pole Position.)

With the slow death of the Saturday Morning/first-run syndicated cartoon broadcast market since the early 2000s, I'm sort of wondering if there was anyone left that ever transitioned from the more or less 'kids cartoon' market to something like The Simpsons. I mean, I'm pretty sure even Seth MacFarlane did writing for some Cartoon Network kids stuff in the 90s before getting Family Guy into the shape it eventually became.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I mean, they’ve been ruining jokes for over 20 years at this point.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

JediTalentAgent posted:

Over in another thread I mentioned that Chuck Lorre got his start on some children's cartoons of the 80s/90s. (Things like Toxic Crusaders and Pole Position.)

With the slow death of the Saturday Morning/first-run syndicated cartoon broadcast market since the early 2000s, I'm sort of wondering if there was anyone left that ever transitioned from the more or less 'kids cartoon' market to something like The Simpsons. I mean, I'm pretty sure even Seth MacFarlane did writing for some Cartoon Network kids stuff in the 90s before getting Family Guy into the shape it eventually became.

Seth worked on Johnny Bravo, yeah.

Also goes the other way, the Phineas and Ferb creators used to write for Family Guy.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

I don't know how but most of this entire current season of Family Guy has been really good. Every episode has a solid story structure and they continually build upon jokes throughout the episode instead of being a bunch of lazy randomness like the show was for many years. A few years ago it's like they decided to start putting effort into it again and it's been gradually getting better. This is not a joke post - if you ever liked the show, you might like it again. If you never liked it, you still won't. But it's crazy to see them put out solid efforts in contrast to whatever the hell The Simpsons craps out.

Yeah I ended up watching the last couple of seasons a few months back for lack of anything better to watch or do with my time. I felt like I was scraping the bottom of the barrel going in but I definitely enjoyed it more than I had expected.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Endless Trash posted:

I’m pretty deep into season 12 on this rewatch and getting scared because I’m not hating these episodes.

The decline, while clear, does take a bit to really set in. There are gems past season 12 but they get fewer and further apart with time.

I personally just find american gldad and family guy really annoying. Just hearing the voices makes me cringe.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He seems like the kind of guy that would think Johnny Bravo was unitonically cool

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Seth MacFarlane also produced a “What a Cartoon!” short for Cartoon Network back in the mid-‘90s that is proto Family Guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caR_5BgEgv8

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also goes the other way, the Phineas and Ferb creators used to write for Family Guy.

He made a pilot for a Peter and Brian show years before Family Guy was a thing:
https://youtu.be/caR_5BgEgv8

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He seems like the kind of guy that would think Johnny Bravo was unitonically cool

Actually the bad Johnny Bravo seasons went a bit much into him being an rear end in a top hat loser. Apparently, the show being pitched to Cartoon Network had a mixed response from the male suits, but the women loved it, since they'd all had to deal with someone like Johnny during their lives.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually the bad Johnny Bravo seasons went a bit much into him being an rear end in a top hat loser. Apparently, the show being pitched to Cartoon Network had a mixed response from the male suits, but the women loved it, since they'd all had to deal with someone like Johnny during their lives.

I loved it as a kid. Sometimes I randomly remember the episode where Johnny's childhood bully was richard simmons

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still love it for this reason, honestly.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Das Boo posted:

I still love it for this reason, honestly.

It holds up pretty welll tbh

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Applewhite posted:

The joke is on all of us for watching.

Speak for yourself

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

JediTalentAgent posted:

I know you said "Anyone left," but the late Sam Simon was a writer on the 1979 Filmation version of Mighty Mouse.

Along with Paul Dini, interestingly enough.

Scott Shaw!, who worked on, let's see... apparently every American cartoon ever... also did storyboards for an episode of Family Guy's original run, and absolutely hated it.

Scott Shaw! posted:

When I'd suggest some sort of minor gag... [the director] just looked at me and, deadpan, asked "why"? The designs of the characters were murder to draw, so bland and expressionless, but I was somehow expected to get more "acting" out of them. Believe me, Peter's model sheet poses for "happy" and "depressed" looked practically identical! I was told not to add eyebrows, not to distort eye-shapes, not to draw "cartoony" poses...but still, somehow, creating "acting". Yeah, right.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I watched a lot of family guy as a teen and liked it but as I got older assumed Seth was a tucker max style guy. So I ignored Orville when it was released as casting himself as the captain seemed like recipe for indulgent trash. Loud voices in the Star Trek threads finally got me to give it a chance and holy cow it’s better than a good chunk of Star Trek shows.

Keromaru5 posted:

Along with Paul Dini, interestingly enough.

Oh yeah Dini owns. His work on Dark Night: A True Batman Story was well handled.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Which of the BTAS creators were really horny for Harley?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was a weird dichotomy where the first season was actually sort of about someone like Johnny existing in the world, and then it got a new showrunner and animation style and he was pretty much just a buffoon that went on wacky cartoon adventures who also says "hey baby" and gets punched a lot. I liked the later stuff a lot more as a kid, so it was probably the right choice for Cartoon Network's demo, but as an adult the early stuff was a lot more interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Which of the BTAS creators were really horny for Harley?

All of them?