Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wasabi the J posted:

The forums were

• Bought from a man accused of heinous behavior
  • Who died days later to suicide
  • For an large sum of crypto
  • Crypto is still being traded in and out of Russia during world sanctions

rest in piss lowtax

you know the crypto thing is just something someone made up as a joke, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

YESSSSSSSSS

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

RFC2324 posted:

you know the crypto thing is just something someone made up as a joke, right?

You know what? I didn't, but it doesn't really change the whoosh right over your head.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

A little part of me wonders if the yacht thing is more like:

“Hey country imposing sanctions on us, could you post security guards while the sanctions are ongoing so we don’t have to come out if pocket to secure it while we wait for the sanctions to blow over.”

“Yes, sir, your deutschbank representative already informed us if this request a week ago.”

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Not if the money and gas Russia has been squeezing from the EU via Ukraine was laundered through said people.

But what do I know? The executives have been sued in SDNY by Ukraines former leadership I'm sure it's nothing to do with the invasion and destruction of nuclear infrastructure.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wasabi the J posted:

You know what? I didn't, but it doesn't really change the whoosh right over your head.

not unusual :)

I think the "we are all idiots" was covered pretty thoroughly a while back.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Runaktla posted:

A little part of me wonders if the yacht thing is more like:

“Hey country imposing sanctions on us, could you post security guards while the sanctions are ongoing so we don’t have to come out if pocket to secure it while we wait for the sanctions to blow over.”

“Yes, sir, your deutschbank representative already informed us if this request a week ago.”

It's not. Vessels can be arrested by a nation, and its a Big Deal when it happens. It's not that common and even less so for yachts, and gently caress em. Take their toys away from them.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's not. Vessels can be arrested by a nation, and its a Big Deal when it happens. It's not that common and even less so for yachts, and gently caress em. Take their toys away from them.

I'm surprised people aren't more familiar with this sort of thing after Egypt did it with Ever Given.

Be interesting if the shitbag owners try to charge rent on whichever poor bastard winds up marooned aboard (MV Aman style).

e: V Oh wow, that's even worse than I'd remembered.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 12, 2022

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

IPCRESS posted:

Be interesting if the shitbag owners try to charge rent on whichever poor bastard winds up marooned aboard (MV Aman style).

That wasn’t the owners charging rent, that was the government holding the last dude stuck onboard responsible for the ship’s debts. It’s a hosed up thing to do, and while the owners were dicks, the villains were the local government.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I know nothing about sushko and his recent prominence on twitter, but Meduza was publishing some absolutely prescient stuff in the months leading up to the invasion

Yeah about the other thing, the now 4 letters from the supposed fsb analyst. I've read the latter 3 now. Not impressed. The first one was plausible, and BM's org said as much which is being quoted as confirmation of the authors authenticity. That's going to bite them.

The new letters reads like dispatches from Q more than anything else.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 12, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Nothing in there is privileged information, the author keeps making statements about summarising and abbreviating events, obv I'm assuming to not get stuck giving details they don't know. Another spurious thing is how the author starts from known, small facts and presents them nonchalantly with an absolute interpretation, and then building their story taller on that. I do not believe Putin is a clinical narcissist for one, and I'm doubting the author can explain what differs that psychology from sadists or even common rich people.

The stuff about China isn't very insightful.

It does read like the person is russian from how they talk about conspiracy and the boogeyman magical view of the US and crap, and I absolutely should read it again because I'm forgetting stuff.

In summary I'm not ready to believe anything about this story anymore, but also not guessing anything else about it like it's origin etc. I am going to be very sceptical towards Sushko now.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I was hoping to take a stroll and go see it today, i guess that's off then(I live in the town where it's docked)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Bellingcat only said the first one appeared to be authentic, nothing on the new ones.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Nothing in there is privileged information, the author keeps making statements about summarising and abbreviating events, obv I'm assuming to not get stuck giving details they don't know. Another spurious thing is how the author starts from known, small facts and presents them nonchalantly with an absolute interpretation, and then building their story taller on that. I do not believe Putin is a clinical narcissist for one, and I'm doubting the author can explain what differs that psychology from sadists or even common rich people.

The stuff about China isn't very insightful.

It does read like the person is russian from how they talk about conspiracy and the boogeyman magical view of the US and crap, and I absolutely should read it again because I'm forgetting stuff.

In summary I'm not ready to believe anything about this story anymore, but also not guessing anything else about it like it's origin etc. I am going to be very sceptical towards Sushko now.

Yeah if I were to throw out an offhand clinical diagnosis Putin is obviously a sociopath. I would say he has narcissistic traits but probably not full-blown NPD because having narcissistic traits is just a common endpoint of being rich and powerful for decades, and a sociopath would long-term self-select for people who won't challenge their dominance, so you also end up surrounded by yes-men. One of the big tells, aside from unnecessarily assassinating people & poo poo, was the KGB assessment that he had a reduced threat response, which is a classic trait of sociopaths to have a reduced fear response to threats, which causes them to engage in excessively risky behavior.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Sergg posted:

Yeah if I were to throw out an offhand clinical diagnosis Putin is obviously a sociopath. I would say he has narcissistic traits but probably not full-blown NPD because having narcissistic traits is just a common endpoint of being rich and powerful for decades, and a sociopath would long-term self-select for people who won't challenge their dominance, so you also end up surrounded by yes-men. One of the big tells, aside from unnecessarily assassinating people & poo poo, was the KGB assessment that he had a reduced threat response, which is a classic trait of sociopaths to have a reduced fear response to threats, which causes them to engage in excessively risky behavior.

oh my god dude

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I heard he has the rear end burgers

He likes armored trains

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

eeeeeey, I'm yachtin' here!

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Sergg posted:

Fun fact: In the US, licensed psychiatrists are specifically forbidden from making public statements in which they offer a "diagnosis" of a public figure.

e: correction, guess it's psychiatrists that are specifically forbidden. clinical psychologists are strongly discouraged from doing so

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 12, 2022

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
"sociopath" isn't even a real loving diagnosis and yet

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It's a day old so it may have been posted but I didn't see it. Offers some potential insight into Russia's plan to weather the sanctions. I have no way of judging its accuracy but it seems in line with what's already been discussed here. Thread:

https://twitter.com/Killa_ru/status/1502075252989382664?t=6vjOuANRF3O5zTvxF_Vg5w&s=19

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SlowBloke posted:

I was hoping to take a stroll and go see it today, i guess that's off then(I live in the town where it's docked)

https://imgur.com/a/BNvGUz7

It’s currently missing a mast so that’s why it couldn’t leave

Edit: I’m in adjacent supermarket and I can only see the masts but goddamn they are huge up close

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 12, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Bellingcat only said the first one appeared to be authentic, nothing on the new ones.

And that's a fact that a heap of people are going to miss, maybe on purpose :tinfoil:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Sergg posted:

I genuinely hope you don't actually work anywhere near the mental health field

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

not unusual :)

I think the "we are all idiots" was covered pretty thoroughly a while back.

Huh?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Sergg posted:

I don’t think you understand what sociopathy or narcissistic personality disorder is

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Russia now threatening to attack supply shipments from NATO.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f0806dde1f8cc9d

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's a day old so it may have been posted but I didn't see it. Offers some potential insight into Russia's plan to weather the sanctions. I have no way of judging its accuracy but it seems in line with what's already been discussed here. Thread:

https://twitter.com/Killa_ru/status/1502075252989382664?t=6vjOuANRF3O5zTvxF_Vg5w&s=19

Most of that has already happened and Russia/China have wanted a higher moat for their internet for a long time so I would say pretty believable. Thats basically the expectation of going DPRK status though. Famine was already likely but if they decide to go full DPRK its certain, along with much greater suffering.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

psydude posted:

Not really sure how this is surprising, tbh. If it's weapons and it's in Ukraine, it's a legit target to them (nevermind the non-legit targets they hit anyway), not sure why they'd specifically point out that they'd consider them "a threat" only now. I figured they were targeting them from the get-go.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

psydude posted:

https://twitter.com/aaronstein1/status/1502629024367009793?t=YxI735Np6cHngsrs0L-uZg&s=19

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Not really sure how this is surprising, tbh. If it's weapons and it's in Ukraine, it's a legit target to them (nevermind the non-legit targets they hit anyway), not sure why they'd specifically point out that they'd consider them "a threat" only now. I figured they were targeting them from the get-go.

I think the open ended question is are they referring to countries other than Ukraine.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

TCD posted:

I think the open ended question is are they referring to countries other than Ukraine.

Carrying out overt attacks inside nato member territory is going to have only one response and the russians aren't going to do that. They would be limited to mysterious explosive accidents at supply dumps maybe in Chechia or nothing at all, until the supplies go over the border with Ukraine

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 12, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I didn't see anyone say "in Ukraine."

I read that exchange as Russia saying it will attack NATO shipments while they're still inside NATO borders and NATO responding, essentially, "make my day."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The followup tweet seems to make say that they are targets once inside Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/christopherjm/status/1502609230049730563?s=21

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

The followup tweet seems to make say that they are targets once inside Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/christopherjm/status/1502609230049730563?s=21
If they were only talking about inside Ukraine, why would they not have been "legitimate targets" already? You know, ignoring the whole invading a sovereign nation unprovoked thing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
They would have been legitimate. There is a chance that foreign contractors like truck drivers etc may have been driving trucks. I don’t know.

But this would serve as a warning that while Polish Army forces in Poland are no target, if there happens to be Polish or Romanian truck drivers, forklift operators, quartermaster personnel, or trainers in the vicinity of these convoys inside Ukraine, they are at risk of being killed.

I could be wrong. They clause about them having been aupplied to Unraine reads that the transfer would be complete.

I doubt they are threatening to adopt the Israel model. Israel has repeatedly bombed Syria and killed Syrian government workers and Iranians if they think the weapons will soon leave Syria to go to Lebanon, for example.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I read that exchange as Russia saying it will attack NATO shipments while they're still inside NATO borders and NATO responding, essentially, "make my day."

Given the current location of most of the Russian forces, huge missed opportunity to respond, “you and what army?”

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

stealie72 posted:

If they were only talking about inside Ukraine, why would they not have been "legitimate targets" already? You know, ignoring the whole invading a sovereign nation unprovoked thing.

Syria would be an example of a contested space with opposing convoys and you could hypothetically have a NATO convoy moving through Ukrainian space I guess.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The US and Russia did set up deconfliction hotlines, but I have a feeling that any Russian aircraft or missile coming within 50km of the Polish border is probably going to end up as a crater in a field.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

psydude posted:

The US and Russia did set up deconfliction hotlines, but I have a feeling that any Russian aircraft or missile coming within 50km of the Polish border is probably going to end up as a crater in a field.

The age-old love that Poland has for Russia will make any Russian air operations close to the Polish border extra-spicy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Russia and Belarus both share a border with Poland. All involved manage to fly missions along the borders without killing each other every day.