Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Whoever was having stuttering when fTPM was enabled, there's a BIOS update coming to fix it but it could be 2-3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Check which version of the headset Windows is using for audio. I've had this happen a fair amount on Windows 10, where my Bluetooth headphones show up with two entries - one for stereo output, one for telephony. Sometimes it would select the wrong one and I would get bad or no sound output. Sometimes disconnecting the device from the Bluetooth menu and reconnecting it would fix it.

Oh, and I have had Steam steal the audio focus for some reason - I think the built-in chat client was doing it. For a while I made it a habit to not turn on my headphones until after I had launched Steam which seemed to help avoid this.

Turns out it's user error. I didn't realize there's an audio device selection in the game (Horizon Zero Dawn) that had somehow gotten switched. Everything's as expected now.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!
How is driver support for Win 11 now? I installed it to a Lenovo L390 to tinker with and while it does work well, a bunch of drivers don't work and Lenovos own update tool can't find anything compatible. Will this be a 'check device model - go to manufacturers website' deal?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm running it on my desktop (built), Surface Pro 3 and Surface Laptop 3 and all are fine. I dont think you will find a lot of difference driver wise from 10.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Got me a big ol' list of non-working devices.

They all say Windows can't find compatible drivers, Vantage couldn't find anything either. The L390 is listed as compatible on the Lenovo site but seems to be that it will install and boot but that's it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WonkyBob posted:

Got me a big ol' list of non-working devices.

They all say Windows can't find compatible drivers, Vantage couldn't find anything either. The L390 is listed as compatible on the Lenovo site but seems to be that it will install and boot but that's it.

Ah, automatic tools like the Lenovo app are a different matter -- the drivers are perfectly compatible, but it's Lenovo that's failing to make them available.

If you go to the manual downloads section of the support zone, the windows 10 drivers will work fine. You want at least these:
Graphics Processing Units (GPU) -> Intel Display Driver for Windows 10 (Version 1809 or later) - ThinkPad L390, L390 Yoga
Motherboard Devices (core chipset, onboard video, PCIe switches) -> Intel Chipset Driver for Windows 10 (Version 1809 or later)

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Klyith posted:

Ah, automatic tools like the Lenovo app are a different matter -- the drivers are perfectly compatible, but it's Lenovo that's failing to make them available.

If you go to the manual downloads section of the support zone, the windows 10 drivers will work fine. You want at least these:
Graphics Processing Units (GPU) -> Intel Display Driver for Windows 10 (Version 1809 or later) - ThinkPad L390, L390 Yoga
Motherboard Devices (core chipset, onboard video, PCIe switches) -> Intel Chipset Driver for Windows 10 (Version 1809 or later)

Thanks chief. Device manager says it can't find anything so I assumed they wouldn't work. The old "drivers for the previous Windows will work but this version of Windows isn't supposed to know that..." sitch. Pretty sure I had do similar things in 10 using some 7 drivers at one point.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Recently I've noticed that if I wake my desktop up after sunset, the night light isn't on as it should be. If I go in and toggle the thing off and back on, it goes to the correct temperature. Any ideas why it's not working as expected? I don't have an HDR-capable monitor, my graphics drivers are up-to-date (last time I checked, at least).

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Lenovo and HP are probably the worse with driver support

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cant agree with that. HP can do almost nothing right, but we have a lenovo exclusive fleet at work and I have encountered very little issues with relation to drivers

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My opinion of Lenovo has gone downhill (perhaps unfairly) because of how badly they are handling Android support after acquiring Motorola.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My opinion of Lenovo went downhill when they decided to ship literal malware with their laptops.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I have having a issue installing cumulative updates on my desktop. The last successful one was in December and since then it fails on successive ones (other updates are ok). I'm hesitant to reinstall the OS since it's on a non-compliant computer (built in 2010) and have Office 2021 on it without a backup. Running sfc /scannow and DISM did nothing to resolve the issue. Should I just reset Windows or does it need a reinstall?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Clipchamp? What the gently caress, Microsoft? Some barebones web-based video editor where you need to pony up :10bux: a month to export in 720p or higher. I guess that's the price for ease of use in face of something like Davinci Resolve, which is free for the most part.

Also, the OneDrive updater spawning four console windows during the update. :golfclap:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, the OneDrive updater spawning four console windows during the update. :golfclap:

Ah that's what those are

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Island Nation posted:

I have having a issue installing cumulative updates on my desktop. The last successful one was in December and since then it fails on successive ones (other updates are ok). I'm hesitant to reinstall the OS since it's on a non-compliant computer (built in 2010) and have Office 2021 on it without a backup. Running sfc /scannow and DISM did nothing to resolve the issue. Should I just reset Windows or does it need a reinstall?

Have you tried running the Windows Update troubleshooter?

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

codo27 posted:

I cant agree with that. HP can do almost nothing right, but we have a lenovo exclusive fleet at work and I have encountered very little issues with relation to drivers

Same thing the company I work for has. They're decent but annoyingly they've started welding memory to the boards (I think since the 390/590 laptops) so we now only have one ram slot that's usable per machine which annoys the piss out of me because it's another step towards removing third party upgrade ability.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Island Nation posted:

My experience has been that Reset isn't perfect at fixing problems with Windows itself, plus it's pretty annoying even when you say "keep apps and files". (The apps stay, but a lot of app settings get removed so you have to repeat your customization to stuff.)

However, there is a good alternative to full reinstall: the "in-place upgrade". If you still have the USB stick that you used to install Win11 the first time, just plug that in and run setup.exe (it's useful to keep a install stick around). If not you can just download the MCT from MS (here under Create Windows 11 Installation Media) and choose "upgrade this PC now" rather than make install media.

This will reset a lot of windows internal components with minimal change to your user settings. It's kinda the same thing as the Win10 major annual updates.

(Do try the Update Troubleshooter that Wattsville suggested first, if you haven't.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Thanks Ants posted:

Ah that's what those are
Yeah, I only found out it's actually OneDrive, because Windows Terminal can now be set as default, and the same time configured to keep the window open after the shell process terminates.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Klyith posted:

My experience has been that Reset isn't perfect at fixing problems with Windows itself, plus it's pretty annoying even when you say "keep apps and files". (The apps stay, but a lot of app settings get removed so you have to repeat your customization to stuff.)

However, there is a good alternative to full reinstall: the "in-place upgrade". If you still have the USB stick that you used to install Win11 the first time, just plug that in and run setup.exe (it's useful to keep a install stick around). If not you can just download the MCT from MS (here under Create Windows 11 Installation Media) and choose "upgrade this PC now" rather than make install media.

This will reset a lot of windows internal components with minimal change to your user settings. It's kinda the same thing as the Win10 major annual updates.

(Do try the Update Troubleshooter that Wattsville suggested first, if you haven't.)

I had tried the troubleshooter, no dice

I'll try in in-place upgrade next

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

WonkyBob posted:

Same thing the company I work for has. They're decent but annoyingly they've started welding memory to the boards (I think since the 390/590 laptops) so we now only have one ram slot that's usable per machine which annoys the piss out of me because it's another step towards removing third party upgrade ability.

Its more about portability. Memory is so cheap now, we have a bunch of those (like the t490 I'm posting from) and I just plopped in a 16gb stick for 24 total. Higher spec models will still have the two slots.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Soldered ram is cheaper than the slots, that's like 99% of why they do it. The other 1% is in some sort of super thin ultrabook or whatever but in that case they won't have a second slot, it'll just be all soldered and not upgradable.

codo27 posted:

Memory is so cheap now, we have a bunch of those (like the t490 I'm posting from) and I just plopped in a 16gb stick for 24 total.

This kinda sucks for performance -- the soldered on stuff is likely slow, and the mixed sizes only have dual-channel for the portions that match. In your case it's not awful but on cheaper laptops you might get 4 soldered + 4 in the slot and that's poo poo.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

WonkyBob posted:

My t series ThinkPad has two ram slots. Also the new workstation ThinkPads still have multiple ram slots. One on their site right now has four ram slots. Lenovo owns.

MikusR posted:

Good news! Pro version will also require an account and internet during install. https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2022/02/16/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22557/

Hahahahaha what the gently caress

I guess I better keep a tight grip on the Rufus win11 thumb drive I made. Ignores TPM, CPU, and this account bullshit. I should hold onto it for dear life.

Unless they force people to make an MS account after a certain update or something.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Debating whether this belongs here or in the windows software thread, but since I'm running 11, here we go.

I bought an old printer (HP C4150) to experiment with some things and holy hell is the driver landscape a mess.

HP says that windows should just automatically install and actually refuses to publish the driver/software installer anymore. And when you use the diagnostic tool, it pops up and says "you need to use the full installer" with a link... to the page that says you need to let windows do it.

Finally tracked down an old version of the software and got it installed, but lol. Just wow.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
First step. Throw HP in the loving trash.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Their website alone warrants the death penalty.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

redeyes posted:

First step. Throw HP in the loving trash.

I got it effectively for free, so only a small loss 😂

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AlexDeGruven posted:

I got it effectively for free, so only a small loss 😂

Only a loss of sanity. Ha!

I recently had to set up some new HP PLUS inkjet. You see the Plus means if the printer isn't actually connected to the internet, you can't print or scan.. or really use it at all. And then the son of a bitch wouldn't connect to wireless at all.. tried about 5 times. Ended up having to hit the menu reset back to factory defaults and then it would finally connect via wifi. Took me over an hour.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ink subscription services are the devils work

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

Ink subscription services are the devils work

Its even worse than that. The drat thing wont do anything without a connection to the internet, nevermind the stupid subscriptions.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

redeyes posted:

Its even worse than that. The drat thing wont do anything without a connection to the internet, nevermind the stupid subscriptions.

This was actually a big reason I got a Silhouette vs a Cricut while feeding my hobby ADHD this past fall. Cricut requires an internet connection for any function.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I gotta say, this big brother tech is driving me nuts. It has to be reeled back.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I feel like a massive luddite but I don’t want any smart home devices, I don’t want something with a Wi-Fi radio deciding if my lights are turning on, and I’ll go out of my way to avoid subscriptions.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

I feel like a massive luddite but I don’t want any smart home devices, I don’t want something with a Wi-Fi radio deciding if my lights are turning on, and I’ll go out of my way to avoid subscriptions.

I don't think Smart Home devices are 'innovative, new technology' so much as it is a solution looking for a problem... at the cost of privacy and every 'service' attached to them that wants a monthly fee. I have a bunch of cool tech poo poo but it needs to solve a problem, or the novelty needs to be pointed in an interesting direction. There is literally nothing a 'Smart Home' device does that I wouldn't want to do on a computer, phone, or some other physical interface.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

My kid wants to smart up my whole home with Rasberry Pis and Home assistant and bullshit. I'm too old to want to go find my loving phone to turn my light off or gently caress with the thermostat. Physical switches and knobs are far better than smart trash.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I love my smart home stuff and it seems to work pretty well and bring me joy

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

My kid wants to smart up my whole home with Rasberry Pis and Home assistant and bullshit. I'm too old to want to go find my loving phone to turn my light off or gently caress with the thermostat. Physical switches and knobs are far better than smart trash.

Physical switches have a tendency to actually work 100% of the time, which is a pretty desirable feature.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I have specific use cases for the smart lights in my bedroom and for my Nest thermostat, and have been super happy with them segmented off from the rest of my network on their own little IoT VLAN. The day I'm forced to buy a dishwasher with a WiFi connection, though, is the day I finally wander off into the wilderness.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

i use appliance timers on some of my lamps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

doctorfrog posted:

i use appliance timers on some of my lamps

My grandma did that back in the 90s to keep burglars at bay when she was travelling.