Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Chris James 2 posted:

This is maybe the least likely result left now

yeah that ain't happening

Docjowles posted:

Prepare yourselves for maybe one oblique mention of “facing some questions during the off-season” on his first national broadcast back and then never hearing about it again. Goondolonces to whoever ends up with this shitheel on their team.

mmhmm. 'off the field stuff.' 'vindicated in the legal system'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Reminder that grand juries can indict a ham sandwich. If Watson was not indicted, it’s because the prosecutor did not want him to.

For example, the trump loving republican prosecutor did not tell the Breonna Taylor grand jury that they could really charge the cops with murdering her. Multiple members of the grand jury have came out and said “we didn’t know we could charge them because he never told us we could.”

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

Reminder that grand juries can indict a ham sandwich. If Watson was not indicted, it’s because the prosecutor did not want him to.

For example, the trump loving republican prosecutor did not tell the Breonna Taylor grand jury that they could really charge the cops with murdering her. Multiple members of the grand jury have came out and said “we didn’t know we could charge them because he never told us we could.”

Our justice system is awful.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

syzpid posted:

Our justice system is awful.

There is no justice in the American criminal legal system.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Justice in the American criminal system can be had.

It just costs :20bux:.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
This was a texas grand jury right? Shouldn't there be a federal case for the women he brought across state lines for the purpose of sexually assaulting / soliciting for sexual services?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Grip it and rip it posted:

This was a texas grand jury right? Shouldn't there be a federal case for the women he brought across state lines for the purpose of sexually assaulting / soliciting for sexual services?

Supposedly the FBI was been sniffing around since the cops got involved. Whether anything comes of it well he's still a rich man in america

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
gently caress the justice system and gently caress Watson

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I do not like this outcome. He’s gonna settle and be starting for Tampa Bay isn’t he.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I'd be happy to take just about anything for him but there's no way Tampa can compete with any of the other rumored suitors

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

What does the first paragraph mean in terms of actual procedure? Is the bar so low for advancing indictments that prosecutors can basically do so at will?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What does the first paragraph mean in terms of actual procedure? Is the bar so low for advancing indictments that prosecutors can basically do so at will?

Correct. If a prosecutor wants an indictment, they can get it.

Grand juries are secret, people are instructed to follow the law as described by the prosecutor, and only the prosecution presents a case. They are an extremely biased process. With no indictment, that means the prosecutor didn’t care to indict OR there was zero credible evidence to indict. Considering there were 10 or so criminal complaints, I lean toward the former.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Mr. Nice! posted:

Grand juries are secret, people are instructed to follow the law as described by the prosecutor, and only the prosecution presents a case. They are an extremely biased process. With no indictment, that means the prosecutor didn’t care to indict OR there was zero credible evidence to indict. Considering there were 10 or so criminal complaints, I lean toward the former.

I also saw a tweet about only one witness being called into the grand jury, which tells me that they didn't exactly try too hard there

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Elephanthead posted:

I do not like this outcome. He’s gonna settle and be starting for Tampa Bay isn’t he.

dont put that evil on us

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You signed Tom Brady don’t pretend you didn’t

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

But I mean, isn't there a professional requirement (or a personal financial incentive) to bring it to court?

What does the prosecutor gain by not moving forward the Deshaun Watson case? Outside of like bribery.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

But I mean, isn't there a professional requirement (or a personal financial incentive) to bring it to court?

What does the prosecutor gain by not moving forward the Deshaun Watson case? Outside of like bribery.

They gain not having to spend time trying a case they don’t want to try either for personal (think women deserve to be sexually assaulted) or professional (doesn’t think the case is winnable and losing with affect their reputation and conviction rate) reasons. And no, there’s really nothing that incentivizes them to actually try if the DA is fine with spiking the case.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Elephanthead posted:

well, about that

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Prosecutors receive the exact same state salary regardless of how many cases they bring to court.

A case against a rich dude with mostly he said she said evidence, regardless of how guilty he is, will be a gigantic drain on limited state resources that they could use instead to more effectively keep poor black people locked up for petty offenses.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

Prosecutors receive the exact same state salary regardless of how many cases they bring to court.

A case against a rich dude with mostly he said she said evidence, regardless of how guilty he is, will be a gigantic drain on limited state resources that they could use instead to more effectively keep poor black people locked up for petty offenses.

So it’s basically the bosses of the prosecutors going “this is not evil nor efficient with our limited resources, I’m directing you to punt the case” ?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Mr. Nice when are you becoming emperor of American lawyers? We need to you to clean this system up.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

So it’s basically the bosses of the prosecutors going “this is not evil nor efficient with our limited resources, I’m directing you to punt the case” ?

The bosses of prosecutors are District Attorneys who are elected officials who prioritize winning slam
dunk cases against poor people without the monetary resources or political clout to make them think twice.

They campaign on conviction rates and will avoid anything that might be either hard to win or be politically divisive. This case would be both.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mr. Nice when are you becoming emperor of American lawyers? We need to you to clean this system up.

:lol: never because that would mean I'd have to be a lawyer again, and I don't wanna do that.

Our legal system from the top down is hosed in so many irreparable ways.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I can't remember; were any of the alleged assaults outside of Texas?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

GD_American posted:

I can't remember; were any of the alleged assaults outside of Texas?

Yes, he also flew some women in from other states.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

really queer Christmas posted:

Yes, he also flew some women in from other states.

Atlanta was the other major city if I recall correctly. Wonder if that's part of why the Falcons aren't bothering.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Defector staying on the case:

https://defector.com/deshaun-watsons-legal-battles-arent-over/

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

One down - one to go.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's a great day for the Texans, everyone.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Edward Mass posted:

That's true, actually. Lost in all this.

Absolutely massive picks haul, get rid of a rapist who wouldn't play for you anyways. If they nail this draft they'll have set themselves up pretty well.

I don't really believe in Davis Mills, I think that'll have to change eventually, but at least the sun is shining today. Although it couldn't happen to a worse owner.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

So the Texans would have gotten more draft capital if they dealt Watson before the trade deadline, right? Trying to pivot back to Easterby incompetence.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

fsif posted:

So the Texans would have gotten more draft capital if they dealt Watson before the trade deadline, right? Trying to pivot back to Easterby incompetence.

I don't really think that's the case. It's probably more 1:1 if not a slightly better haul right now.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
IF the Texans had traded him in the window between his demand of a trade and the lawsuits, it's possible that a few more teams would have been involved, but that window was tiny relative to NFL deal-making. Its probably just about as good as we could have hoped for in any situation, or maybe even helped us by a good QB suddenly becoming "available" (by not getting charged criminally) in a tight QB market

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Draft picks are potential value. They can still very easily gently caress this up

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Obviously but since he was never going to play for us again, even just having the bodies around technically represents an improvement on the situation

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Edward Mass posted:

I'd rather Watson be in prison and the Texans get nothing for him tbh

fsif posted:

You'd have to go all the way back to when he was holding out but before the accusations became public

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Had some recollection of a team offering three 1's and two 2's but the Texans demanded more because they thought Watson told the prospective team that he wouldn't face criminal charges.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
3 firsts a 3 and a 4 is less than I expected

Considering you heard Carolina offered up what 3 firsts and a star young defender?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

fsif posted:

Had some recollection of a team offering three 1's and two 2's but the Texans demanded more because they thought Watson told the prospective team that he wouldn't face criminal charges.

Supposedly the Dolphins but I don't think that was ever confirmed

e: or maybe it was the Panthers?

Amy Pole Her posted:

3 firsts a 3 and a 4 is less than I expected

Considering you heard Carolina offered up what 3 firsts and a star young defender?

The thing is Watson has a full no trade so I'm sure the massive fully guaranteed contract from Cleveland made him single out his destination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Intruder posted:

The thing is Watson has a full no trade so I'm sure the massive fully guaranteed contract from Cleveland made him single out his destination

Yes, but they had to pass a certain threshold to even talk to him, established prior to that decision. I think Houston told teams that the least they’d accept was 3 firsts.