Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

My buckwheat,

Mostly I just stick it in the rice cooker. Super lazy but good !ix with some grilled chicken breasts

I use a pressure cooker but a rice cooker probably works just as well if not better. Steaming is too much effort for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Why is the dictator of Belarus sometimes named as Lukashenka and other times as Lukashenko? I've noticed some people will use both seemingly interchangeably, but I don't think I ever saw Lukashenka before the current conflict. I remember in the case of Gadaffi it was that his name was spelled with a Q in standard written arabic but pronounced with a G in libyan spoken arabic, which made it unclear how best to transliterate the name. Something similar here, or some other reason?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Reveilled posted:

Why is the dictator of Belarus sometimes named as Lukashenka and other times as Lukashenko? I've noticed some people will use both seemingly interchangeably, but I don't think I ever saw Lukashenka before the current conflict. I remember in the case of Gadaffi it was that his name was spelled with a Q in standard written arabic but pronounced with a G in libyan spoken arabic, which made it unclear how best to transliterate the name. Something similar here, or some other reason?

Belarus vs Russian spelling. Lukashenka is the former, and should be used more often I’d say, but even Belarus officials frequently use Lukashenko. For instance, the website of the president https://president.gov.by/en/president

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Yes, Finnish media for instance mainly uses the Belarusian spelling Alyaksandr Lukashenka.

Lukashenko is often used too, because it means 'should I read?' in Finnish and in this country puns are the only form of humour.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Belarusian orthography was codified much more recently (1917) than Russian (loving forever ago), so the linguists took the opportunity to write vowels as they're actually pronounced according to akanye rules. Unstressed о in Russian is pronounced more or less the same as а, so the final vowel is the same whether you're using Лукашенко or Лукашэнка, but the Russian version doesn't write the shifted о as it's actually pronounced. less sure what happened for the е/э split. Ukrainian doesn't have this, so Poroshenko actually does have an "o" sound at the end.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Belarusian orthography was codified much more recently (1917) than Russian (loving forever ago), so the linguists took the opportunity to write vowels as they're actually pronounced according to akanye rules. Unstressed о in Russian is pronounced more or less the same as а, so the final vowel is the same whether you're using Лукашенко or Лукашэнка, but the Russian version doesn't write the shifted о as it's actually pronounced. less sure what happened for the е/э split. Ukrainian doesn't have this, so Poroshenko actually does have an "o" sound at the end.

To be fair, Russian orthography had a really big reform in 1917. 5 letters nuked, bunch of other changes.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Thanks all for the answers! :)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Fun Russian trivia: Marx's Capital was translated into Russian before the Holy Bible (1872 vs. 1876).

quote:

The translation began in 1813, after the establishment of the Russian Bible Society and by permission of Czar Alexander I. The complete New Testament was published in 1820 and the Old Testament was already translated up to the book of Ruth when work on the project was halted in 1825(?). In that year the Russian Bible Society was disbanded and its translation work discontinued under a more conservative emperor Nicholas I (between 1825 and 1855) due to its suspected seditious influence on the Russian population. It was again resumed and completed in the next reign, of Alexander II.

After all, Church Slavonic is God's native language :catholic:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Fun Russian trivia: Marx's Capital was translated into Russian before the Holy Bible (1872 vs. 1876).

After all, Church Slavonic is God's native language :catholic:

God has a very politically loaded ethnic identity it seems --- (North) Macedonian.

(Well, it was probably Church Slavonic and not Old Church Slavonic at this point, but I am not even sure as to how one classifies that)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OddObserver posted:

God has a very politically loaded ethnic identity it seems --- (North) Macedonian.

Professor Henry Jones : The Word of God.

Marcus Brody : No, Henry. Try not to talk.

Professor Henry Jones : The Home of God.

Indiana Jones : The Home of God... Macedonia.

Professor Henry Jones : But in the old parchments, it is FYROM.

Indiana Jones : M-...

[he steps on the "M" and almost falls to his death; he scrambles back up]

Indiana Jones : Oh, *idiot*! In old inscriptions Macedonia begins with an "F"!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Funny story from Belarus, there is no point here, just an obsetvation. A friend of mine is a rugby player, which is not officially supported team. They roll with their own saving and aid from european federation. So, once they received a notice from same federation being banned from tournaments for Belarus being co belligerent, they are not in any shape to participate anyway due to captain and other player of mens team and captain of womens team being in jail for protesting the war

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Now that's a proper EE post: bitter and grim.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Nenonen posted:

Yes, Finnish media for instance mainly uses the Belarusian spelling Alyaksandr Lukashenka.

Lukashenko is often used too, because it means 'should I read?' in Finnish and in this country puns are the only form of humour.

That's not true, we also have dying of alcoholism.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Reveilled posted:

The rules of converting Cyrillic to Latin spelling also has rules that sometimes get changed. My wife has "цы" in her name that has been previously converted as "tsy", but then the rules got changed around and now its "tcy". So half her documents are with one spelling and half with the other, which is a bit problematic.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

The rules of converting Cyrillic to Latin spelling also has rules that sometimes get changed. My wife has "цы" in her name that has been previously converted as "tsy", but then the rules got changed around and now its "tcy". So half her documents are with one spelling and half with the other, which is a bit problematic.

That’s a good comment to make. Indeed, in Russia alone there are 4 transliteration standards, I believe, and then on top of that you’ll get foreign countries sometimes doing their own thing (e.g. borscht).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I suggest that we call that one dude just Nikita because of this.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
now i cant stop thinking about the somewhat unfortunate ukrainian transliteration of Гоголь

yes, those are different phonemes, but still

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That’s a good comment to make. Indeed, in Russia alone there are 4 transliteration standards, I believe, and then on top of that you’ll get foreign countries sometimes doing their own thing (e.g. borscht).

Oh yeah didn't mention that. In Hungarian her name has to be written phonetically so its "ci" :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oh yeah didn't mention that. In Hungarian her name has to be written phonetically so its "ci" :v:

Latvian phonetics enrage me, because not only we do bunch of annoying sound substitutions, but also you must make sure you have gender-correct name endings. Some examples

Men
Mauno Koivisto? Mauno Koivisto.
Leo Kim? Leo Kims.
Tom Soyer? Toms Sojers.
Thomas Smith? Tomass Smits.
Walter Beardsley Tewksbury-Jefferson? Volters Bīrdslijs Tjūksberijs-Džefersons.

Women
Amaris Kim? Amarisa Kima.
Amanda Trousers? Amanda Trauzersa.
Michelle Obama? Mišele Obama.

Couple
Daenerys Mills-Carlisle? Denerisa Milsa-Kārlaila.
George Mills-Carlisle? Džordžs Milss-Kārlails.

I perfectly understand how and why all of those form, but I still hate reading pretty much anything concerning other countries in Latvian.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Anyone named Walter Beardsley Tewksbury-Jefferson deserves this IMO.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Latvian phonetics enrage me, because not only we do bunch of annoying sound substitutions, but also you must make sure you have gender-correct name endings. Some examples

Men
Leo Kim? Leo Kims.
Tom Soyer? Toms Sojers.

Women

Couple

I perfectly understand how and why all of those form, but I still hate reading pretty much anything concerning other countries in Latvian.

Hungarian has no genders which makes life so much easier. As in objects/words don't have genders, names don't change based on gender, and we don't even have he/she its all ő.

However there was a dark period when foreign writer's names got translated into Hungarian, so Verne Gyula and May Károly exists. Also Hungarian name order is surname first, which can be really confusing for foreigners especially if someone has a middle name. Recently a book about a famous Hungarian architect Lechner Ödön was released in Japan and I guess they expected his name to be in western name order, so the Japanese book was titled ÖDÖN, which is his first name and means Edmund.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In their defence, "EDMUND" is far from the worst way to go about a book cover.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Men
Leo Kim? Leo Kims.
Tom Soyer? Toms Sojers.

Women

Couple

Any language that uses Latin alphabet should just keep all names from other languages with the same script as is. Like Polish.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Any language that uses Latin alphabet should just keep all names from other languages with the same script as is. Like Polish.

I can only empathically agree with you. Unfortunately, State Language Centre of Latvia is an ideologically motivated institution focused on owning the libs.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I hate that my Latvian ID documents all say Endrū lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

It's a fine name. lmao Endrū, vismaz ne Ambrozijs vai Ihtiandrs, I guess

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Reveilled posted:

Lukashenka is Belarusian phonetic rules, LukashenkO is Russian.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Shouldn't it be Endrjū? Ay least that's how it was spelled in the English translations I read growing up.

Latvianisation of names is weird and cringey, but I'm too old and too used to it to be bothered by it.

VVC on the other hand, can go and piss in the wind. At least they tried to censor the Russian warship phrase as too vulgar for print, so they got a bit of backlash just now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

My parents have their identical last names spelled differently because of this lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a podcast for cats posted:

Shouldn't it be Endrjū? Ay least that's how it was spelled in the English translations I read growing up.

Not anymore. Thank VVC for that.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Cyrillic is the superior way of writing, you just write what you hear. No need to figure out what foreign spelling style you need to use. Or if it's English George or French George...

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure how representative Twitter is, but there's definitely seems that there's a lot of pro-Polish/PiS messaging going out, especially in the context of the EU vote to sanction Poland on rule-of-law matters.

In a "how dare they sanction Poland in times like these" way.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I'm not sure how representative Twitter is, but there's definitely seems that there's a lot of pro-Polish/PiS messaging going out, especially in the context of the EU vote to sanction Poland on rule-of-law matters.

In a "how dare they sanction Poland in times like these" way.

There’s a lit of them trying to push their narrative on Twitter, yes, but they get mostly shouted down in the comments. PiS is putting a lit of effort into Twitter though, that’s for sure.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

alex314 posted:

Cyrillic is the superior way of writing, you just write what you hear. No need to figure out what foreign spelling style you need to use. Or if it's English George or French George...

That's how it works in Latvian which is why Andrew -> Endrjū/Endrū happens. I don't really mind it, especially when English pronunciation is completely arbitrary. VVC can get in the bin though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cyrillic is fine until you get to phonemes completely missing in Russian. Häyhä [ˈhćy̯hć] is not quite Хяухя (or even Гяухя by the older standard)... which is the kind of shibboleth FDF uses to recognize friends from foes.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Media zona, the best independent outlet in Russia, (originally about the prison system and ongoing cases but, lots of war related reporting too) translated their first article into English

https://zona.media/translate/2022/03/12/brateevo

Moscow police beat and torture women after anti‑war protests

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Shouldn't it be Endrjū?

Thank you for pointing out that it could have been worse.

At least my passport has a second page that lists the original Anglo spelling.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thank you for pointing out that it could have been worse.

At least my passport has a second page that lists the original Anglo spelling.

I would contest that popular perception is closer to

Endrjū - normal name, like Maverick
Endrū - Mhavryck from Portland, OR

Anyway, enough of VVC stupidity crimes. How it goes for you in general, you still about Latvia?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I would contest that popular perception is closer to

Endrjū - normal name, like Maverick
Endrū - Mhavryck from Portland, OR

Anyway, enough of VVC stupidity crimes. How it goes for you in general, you still about Latvia?

Semi-concrete plans to move to Rīga a couple years ago completely fell apart due to COVID. Haven't been back to Latvia since a visit in 2018, but I try to stay as up-to-date as I can, even though my language skills are rudimentary and vanishing by the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Semi-concrete plans to move to Rīga a couple years ago completely fell apart due to COVID. Haven't been back to Latvia since a visit in 2018, but I try to stay as up-to-date as I can, even though my language skills are rudimentary and vanishing by the day.

Sad to hear about your plans going to poo poo, but it may not have been the worst turn of fate, to be denied settling in Latvia. :v: